Wish we never bought HOT (Small Guild)

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

We have a small guild 4 Players (6 on extremely rare occasion) that have been together since GW1. We play every night. I know everyone’s real name, birthday, and what is going on in their life. We play GW2 on line and chat about what is going on in each other lives.

One thing we liked to do in GW 1 was enter the guild hall and have small skirmishes. We liked our guild hall then. Enter HOT.

Hot now is killing off small guilds for some master plan. Making owning and building virtually impossible.

Why not just scale the Guild Claim for the size playing?

I really wish they would told us the truth before we bought HOT. In fact Anet said. “We will not abandon small guilds,” during pre-sales.

Guild Was is supped to be fun. I wish Anet would remember that.

Posted by: Cures.7451

Cures.7451

can you pls elaborate on what exactly your problem is?
the fight to claim the hall?

Posted by: PetboyJoshua.3108

PetboyJoshua.3108

Even if you’re only 4 players, can’t you just ask some friends to help by inviting them just so you can claim a hall ?
We’re a small guild, and we actually managed to take a hall with just 7 people, some not even fully stuffed. Heck, I’m sure you could even ask in map chat some help and get a few players to come just for the guild claiming.
If you’re less than 10 people, you’ll only have one maw thingie to kill at a time.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Unfortunately, guilds like yours (and mine, and many others), by Colin’s own words, are not guilds. The ‘small’ guilds they mention not abandoning are those with 10+ active people. We have the choice to grow (if we can, but I’ve had 0 luck) or abandon guilds that we have honored and cherished for years.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

Yes the path to claim the guild hall

We only have 4 playing tonight. Will ask in map chat and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’ve read on the forums about smallish numbers claiming the guild Halls.

The thing to remember is to target and kill the Vine Tenders first. There are usually two of them. Ignore everything else. Then once they are dead, concentrate on the Maw, again ignoring everything else. If you do that you’ve got a good chance.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: PetboyJoshua.3108

PetboyJoshua.3108

LanfearShadowflame > Seeing that there’s a different amount of monsters if you’re less than 10, I actually think that they changed their mind about that.
The only thing that’s really gonna be a pain if you’re a small guild, is farming for the different guild features. But I totally understand why they couldn’t change the numbers depending of the size of your guild for that : people would have just abused it.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

If there really existed a fancy guild hall, deep in a jungle, that needed to be claimed from mystical beasts— the group of 4 friends isn’t the group that would be taking it. It would be the group of 50. The group of 4 friends would be taking a log cabin somewhere.

Honestly there should be guild halls based on guild size. A four man guild should only be able to attempt to capture a really small guild hall that is fairly easy to take, while the much larger guilds have access to the cream of the crop ones with giant vines and mordrem knights guarding it.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: tluv.5821

tluv.5821

The fight to claim to hall is exponentially harder with more people. My guild has 500 people. We did it with 200+ (both of them). We got wrecked the first time we tried. The second time we tried it was still difficult. 7 commander groups constantly moving. Tons of vets and champs. It wasnt easy. And each group only had 5-8 people in them. It was extremely difficult.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians
Formerly [QT] Questionable Tactics

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If there really existed a fancy guild hall, deep in a jungle, that needed to be claimed from mystical beasts— the group of 4 friends isn’t the group that would be taking it. It would be the group of 50. The group of 4 friends would be taking a log cabin somewhere.

Honestly there should be guild halls based on guild size. A four man guild should only be able to attempt to capture a really small guild hall that is fairly easy to take, while the much larger guilds have access to the cream of the crop ones with giant vines and mordrem knights guarding it.

Now that would be nice. If they had a small area to claim and decorate for individuals and small groups that would be great. Sort of like a personal housing area.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Auralae.7482

Auralae.7482

I don’t think that most small guilds would argue with that, as long as there was a means for them to earn access to some features/upgrades that other guilds have, even if a slow pace. We have a small friends & family guild. There’s not a desire for a huge hall, but it would be nice if there was a more feasible way to work toward a small guild house with potential for scribe, banners, a little decoration, and maybe a small 1v1 or 2v2 skirmish.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame > Seeing that there’s a different amount of monsters if you’re less than 10, I actually think that they changed their mind about that.
The only thing that’s really gonna be a pain if you’re a small guild, is farming for the different guild features. But I totally understand why they couldn’t change the numbers depending of the size of your guild for that : people would have just abused it.

They’ve stated that the minimum size to do the claiming is 5 people, which I don’t have an issue with, honestly. It’s more the overall attitude regarding guilds less than 10 people and the progression after the initial claiming. This disregard for “small” guilds (not one person bank guilds, mind you) started back with the initial implementation of guild missions. At least with influence we could work towards building our guild just by playing together. Those days are gone now.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

We have a small guild 4 Players (6 on extremely rare occasion) that have been together since GW1. We play every night. I know everyone’s real name, birthday, and what is going on in their life. We play GW2 on line and chat about what is going on in each other lives.

One thing we liked to do in GW 1 was enter the guild hall and have small skirmishes. We liked our guild hall then. Enter HOT.

Hot now is killing off small guilds for some master plan. Making owning and building virtually impossible.

Why not just scale the Guild Claim for the size playing?

I really wish they would told us the truth before we bought HOT. In fact Anet said. “We will not abandon small guilds,” during pre-sales.

Guild Was is supped to be fun. I wish Anet would remember that.

dear ts (threadstarter)

it is unfortunate to inform you that in other thread, small guilds of 7, 6, 5 and even 4 have come out and said they managed to claim the guild hall. good luck.

The fight to claim to hall is exponentially harder with more people. My guild has 500 people. We did it with 200+ (both of them). We got wrecked the first time we tried. The second time we tried it was still difficult. 7 commander groups constantly moving. Tons of vets and champs. It wasnt easy. And each group only had 5-8 people in them. It was extremely difficult.

200 people in a map? your map didn’t crash?
we had 8 squads with around 10+ people on each squad. we got dc-ed twice and progress reset. it finally stop dc-ing us when we reduce our numbers by half.

and yes, it is harder, there are more veteran mobs per maw.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Oberon Vex.1389

Oberon Vex.1389

I just want to put my own opinion here, as another small guild player (I do belong to a couple massive guilds too, but my core friends/family have a small guild as well). Our group had 5 players and we were able to take the guild hall. In one try. Now I am not saying this to brag or to intentionally demean anyone, but I do want to say that it is entirely possible to do the guild hall capture with a very small group — and perhaps it is even easier to do so than with higher numbers. Our group consisted of two warriors, a guardian, a thief and myself on my newly created rev. We only failed one maw spawn, and this was chiefly due to an unfortunate pairing of several knock-down centric mobs and a very confined space in which to do the event (inside one of the buildings). After this small set back we had no issue.

The thing I want to convey is: we wanted it harder. We wanted to be able to do it with our small core group as a mark or achievement, but I know that at least I wanted to experience failure the first time. Maybe the second time. I wanted it to be something that my friends and I could strive for and eventually achieve. I viewed it as a potential benchmark of raids. I was disappointed. I wanted to have to learn mechanics and do something efficiently in order to succeed, but it was a fairly straight forward “dps these three mob types quickly” and with a little coordination we were able to do that easily, again, on the first try. There were no new mechanics or environmental objects to utilize and I think that this was a missed opportunity.

Overall I am very happy with the expansion, but this is one of the two things that I wish were different (the other being that several hero challenges require groups to complete — NOT that I dislike the # hero points for E-specs, just that the difficulty of some of these points is too high to achieve alone). Coming from another “small guild” I know that I wish that these guild-hall missions were harder. Maybe I am in the minority in this, but it is my opinion.

Edit: minor spelling.

Posted by: Odyssey.6523

Odyssey.6523

To the OP the guild claim scales easier the smaller your group. I’ve completed it multiple times now with a group as large as 21 and as small kitten . The 5 was way easier. You will need swiftness to cross map quickly because it is big and high dps but overall if you call targets on the vine tenders and burst them down the maws should die rather quick. Raid boss hits hard but is predictable. Solid range dps will widdle him down. If you are having trouble send me an in game message and I’ll help. I’ve coached a few people through it now claiming guild halls for personal (read 1 man) guilds.

Posted by: Tregarde.6031

Tregarde.6031

It would be nice if ANet introduced some small guild halls, either for smaller guilds or guilds that don’t necessarily want the huge ones we have now.

I mean, seriously, the current halls are about the size of Divinity’s Reach. They are nice, but the moderate sized guild I’m in (rarely more than a dozen people online and repping on a good day) hardly knows what to do with it all!

Posted by: Andy.3845

Andy.3845

Yes the path to claim the guild hall

We only have 4 playing tonight. Will ask in map chat and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion.

it Scales the more you have the Harder it is i will say that so 5-7 would be best

Posted by: dalendria.3762

dalendria.3762

Our small guild claimed its hall Saturday night. Not sure if 4 people can do the expedition, but please see tips below. We had 6 and did not have access to the new squad UI. Mixture of ranger (me), mesmer, warrior, engi and eles.

1. Our officers read up on the fight and the boss’ breakbar (right before we went in). We were not sure if we had enough mez skills but went with who was on.
2. We used Vent, mainly just to joke around. But it did help a few times, when we got lost in there or failed one of the mini-bosses.
3. On mini-bosses, one person set targets. Most of us focused on that, but some took out the adds. I did both using my LB.
4. Once mini-boss is vulnerable, we used ranged and melee. A few times I switched to gs.
5. Don’t get discouraged if you fail one. You will have a few more chances.
6. No spoilers but beware of one of the fights. It is close quarters. We did not know that they would box us in and had some deaths. This was the one we failed since we could not kill all in time.
7. Final boss – kill him using range.
a. For some reason, he focused on me a few times. I just kept running away trying to use the throne to break line of sight. Was not trying to kite just trying to survive. Suggest studying his aggro mechanics beforehand.
b. Rez the dead. Do not go to checkpoint. It is back at the beginning.
After I shook aggro, I rezzed who I could. So did our other guildies. We could not get everyone up so I think we killed him with 4 or 5.
c. Watch out for his nasty range attack. It is that burning fire like the modrem guard have and will result in instadeath.
d. I’m not berserker spec. At one point, I was one of two alive. My hp is 20k. Not sure about my toughness but try to have ppl with decent survivability.
8. After defeating him, savor the moment.
Explore the place (both above ground and underwater). Calling it a guild hall is an understatement. It is a zone big enough for you to get lost or hide in.

Hope that helps. I have a video of us killing the mini-bosses. I may post it once I figure out how to get the size down (its 27gb).

Can you feel it? HOT HOT HOT