Won't be getting Legendary armor!

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Legendaries are better because they come with the guarantee that they’ll always have stats equal to the highest tier of equipment.

Years ago, they said legendaries weren’t more powerful than exotics. Look where we are now.

Posted by: Sird.4536

Sird.4536

Legendaries are better because they come with the guarantee that they’ll always have stats equal to the highest tier of equipment.

Years ago, they said legendaries weren’t more powerful than exotics. Look where we are now.

The highest tier of gear is Legendary and Ascended. Guess what, you can stat swap ascended as well and if you are worried about the runes being removed well hate to say it to you but if you stat swap your legendary armour you will have to get new runes as well.

RP enthusiast

Sird.4536

I like how there are people who still are under the delusion that stat-swapping actually matters.

I know right. I have only ever stat swapped the armour I get from fotm ascended chests. Otherwise my berserker armour has done well for me over 3 years.

RP enthusiast

Manasa Devi.7958

The highest tier of gear is Legendary and Ascended. Guess what, you can stat swap ascended as well and if you are worried about the runes being removed well hate to say it to you but if you stat swap your legendary armour you will have to get new runes as well.

What does that have to do with anything I said?

Sird.4536

You are quoted as saying Legendary come with a guarantee that they be be the best stats in game. Ascended gear also come with that guarantee.

RP enthusiast

Posted by: Absurdo.8309

Absurdo.8309

I’ll bite: it’s been 3 years since the ascended tier. That’s pretty good longevity. At this point, it’s severely unlikely they’ll add a new tier. Especially given the potential backlash if they did.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

When will you casuals understand that Legendary armour is the same as Ascended. If legendary armour have increased stats then I can understand some of what you are saying. Stop feeling like you are entitled to the gear because you have played for years but don’t have time. Find a group or guild and start working on it as raids are not temporary content.

Should I be entitled to the PvP back because I have played since launch but find the meta boring or MM stupid? Should I be entitled to the new Legendary weapons because I don’t have the time to sit around for events? Should I be entitled to the FotM back because I hate swampland? Get of your lazy kitten and work for something instead of waiting for the gear to fall in your lap.

3 years of easy content and everything available for free has made the casuals more elitist then the actual elitist.

Saying something is the same, doesn’t make it the same. Just the fact that the color of the letters are different makes it a different tier of gear. There’s the wiki page for items:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Item#Quality

In the chart in this page, it lists legendaries on a separate line from ascended. Therefore, in people’s minds, it’s going to be a different tier of gear. If you had a legendary weapon before ascended armor came out, then you’d have the ascended stats. The stats increased to match the current maximum level.

Since we can’t really guarantee there’ll never be another tier of gear, the tier of legendary gear is potentially endless. It’s a different class of item. It’s a different tier of gear.

You saying it’s not doesn’t make it any different in the minds of many. Many people see it as a different tier of gear and therefore they see it as desirable.

Now if it’s not particularly desirable why are so many hard core people telling us we’re entitled for wanting it? Seems like an odd thing to complain about, unless people want to keep it all to themselves.

And if it’s the same as ascended why would anyone argue for that?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

When will you casuals understand that Legendary armour is the same as Ascended.

The moment you agree that if it’s really the same, there’s no problem in having it be accessible outside raids.

Stop feeling like you are entitled to the gear because you have played for years but don’t have time.

Oh, the bad E word. Let me use it too. Stop feeling entitled to exclusive gear simply because you are liking a different playstyle than i do.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Absurdo.8309

When will you casuals understand that Legendary armour is the same as Ascended. If legendary armour have increased stats then I can understand some of what you are saying. Stop feeling like you are entitled to the gear because you have played for years but don’t have time. Find a group or guild and start working on it as raids are not temporary content.

Should I be entitled to the PvP back because I have played since launch but find the meta boring or MM stupid? Should I be entitled to the new Legendary weapons because I don’t have the time to sit around for events? Should I be entitled to the FotM back because I hate swampland? Get of your lazy kitten and work for something instead of waiting for the gear to fall in your lap.

3 years of easy content and everything available for free has made the casuals more elitist then the actual elitist.

Saying something is the same, doesn’t make it the same. Just the fact that the color of the letters are different makes it a different tier of gear. There’s the wiki page for items:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Item#Quality

In the chart in this page, it lists legendaries on a separate line from ascended. Therefore, in people’s minds, it’s going to be a different tier of gear. If you had a legendary weapon before ascended armor came out, then you’d have the ascended stats. The stats increased to match the current maximum level.

Since we can’t really guarantee there’ll never be another tier of gear, the tier of legendary gear is potentially endless. It’s a different class of item. It’s a different tier of gear.

You saying it’s not doesn’t make it any different in the minds of many. Many people see it as a different tier of gear and therefore they see it as desirable.

Now if it’s not particularly desirable why are so many hard core people telling us we’re entitled for wanting it? Seems like an odd thing to complain about, unless people want to keep it all to themselves.

And if it’s the same as ascended why would anyone argue for that?

In the same vein, having different color letters doesn’t mean an item is different.

We both know that ascended and legendary have the same stats. So why do people really want legendaries?

Insurance against future tiers is a bad argument. We haven’t had one for several years. And the backlash would be severe.

Stat changing is a bad argument. Those with legendaries know they don’t change the stats that often. If you want to experiment, then exotics are 1000x cheaper. If you care about min maxing, then you care about sigils and runes, and you can’t change those with legendaries.

So why do people care? They want the prestige. They want to show everyone that, through dedication and skill, they accomplished gw2’s ultimate end game content. How is putting legendary armor behind raids wrong here?

I see less complaints about the pvp legendary, despite the similarities with legendary armor. Not everyone will get it, because they may not be skilled. Not everyone will get it, because they don’t have the time (it requires, among other things, 3 matches a day for a long period of time). And a legendary backpiece is much more useful than legendary armor, because you can stat change without worrying about a rune or class restriction.

But people are ok with it. Maybe because of the fractal backpiece alternative, although who knows when anet will finish the collection.

For the record, I would be ok with alternative methods for legendary armor. But I’m also ok if there’s only one way. Because, ultimately, legendaries are a prestige item with no stat advantage. And completing raids can show that prestige.

Astralporing.1957

We both know that ascended and legendary have the same stats. So why do people really want legendaries?

Because, in the mind of players, they are better. Don’t try to deny it, seeing as you suffer from it yourself. By trying to defend legendary armor exclusivity to raids all you do is only help enforcing that view even more.

And, as i said before, if you really believed legendary and ascended is the same, you wouldn’t even bother to protest against nonraiders getting it.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

It’s about prestige. There are players who believe if they stand around in their legendary armor that the masses will bow and genuflect to them. They want a symbol of their gameplaying superiority.

of course right now legendary armor would be like wearing the emperor’s clothes because so far legendary armor is a legend…… when will they show us the skin?

Absurdo.8309

Because, in the mind of players, they are better. Don’t try to deny it, seeing as you suffer from it yourself. By trying to defend legendary armor exclusivity to raids all you do is only help enforcing that view even more.

And, as i said before, if you really believed legendary and ascended is the same, you wouldn’t even bother to protest against nonraiders getting it.

I do not suffer from legendary mania. If I did, I would have more legendary weapons. I only have the ones whose skins I like (4 total, despite the gold and resources to make more).

I am not opposed to non raiders getting legendary armor. I’ll quote myself.

For the record, I would be ok with alternative methods for legendary armor. But I’m also ok if there’s only one way. Because, ultimately, legendaries are a prestige item with no stat advantage. And completing raids can show that prestige.

I just don’t think that raids should be changed to accomplish this goal, or that it should be a priority. It apparently takes a long time to develop a legendary collection. We’ve had only 3 new legendary weapons, and the fractal collection isn’t done yet. I’d rather these take priority.

Posted by: Henry.5713

Henry.5713

When will you casuals understand that Legendary armour is the same as Ascended.

The moment you agree that if it’s really the same, there’s no problem in having it be accessible outside raids.

Stop feeling like you are entitled to the gear because you have played for years but don’t have time.

Oh, the bad E word. Let me use it too. Stop feeling entitled to exclusive gear simply because you are liking a different playstyle than i do.

The E word certainly loses all meaning when you use it like that.
I am wondering at which point the time and effort invested into something stopped being the measurement for the quality or quantity of rewards given and instead is simply seen as unfounded entitlement on the same levels as the idea to get the best rewards without any trade off like a time investment or effort…

And on the actual topic:
There might be multiple ways to gain legendary armor for all we know. One of which might not even force you to ever step a foot into any content that is not completely casual – let alone raids.
They might just make them avaible on the TP like the other legendaries thus allowing you to pick whichever method you wish to use.

(edited by Henry.5713)

Sird.4536

So now your problem is that one person will have gear that is in purple text while I am still in pink text gear. Are you serious lol?

I myself don’t feel entitled to this gear, I have completed the collection and working on Provisioner tokens. If I were in a position where I could not get the gear I would not feel any different. I have multiple ascended sets that make up for the stat swapping on legendary.

I made a guild to clear wing 1 and once they moved on to other games I found another guild to clear wing 2. Stop waiting for gear to fall from the sky while you afk in LA and actually work towards it.

RP enthusiast

Posted by: Furajir.3815

Furajir.3815

Holy kitten. What have I done? lool

Tupro-Ranger- “The Great White Hype”
Yak’s Bend(TWIN) Racist against Sylvari
RRR Ranger and Warrior videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ElmoezHerra?feature=watch

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

You are quoted as saying Legendary come with a guarantee that they be be the best stats in game. Ascended gear also come with that guarantee.

Actually, it was never stated that Asc. would always be the highest tier. The closest to that was (a) Colin “hoped” they would be; and (b) that they would not add a new highest gear tier with HoT.

Since top tier stats were always the same in the original game, and since Asc. was added on primarily as a crafting grind after statements of top stats being gained by L80 pre-launch, it’s understandable that someone might regard the idea that ANet would change things up again as possible. For that matter, they could change their mind on L. items retaining highest stats, but I think that’s less likely than that Asc. would get thrown under the bus.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Manasa Devi.7958

Frankly, it has become abundantly clear over the years that every statement made by ANet regarding the game has an expiration date.

Posted by: Asumita.2174

Asumita.2174

Gear treadmill is one of the components that will keep a MMO going, unfortunately. If this game was to last any amount of decent life, another tier must be introduced sooner or later. While I’m against this, you can’t deny this fact.
If I’m still playing then, I’ll be excited to farm for 500+ bolts of damask this time. lol

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Personally, I think that legendary armor should require a complete mastery of every element of the game – including raids (full completion of every achievement), PvP (diamond rank on one character at minimum), WvW (insane wvw rank), open world (80-100% of all achievements done – including adventures and minigames like keg brawl) and crafting (500 in all).

There should be fancy armor and weapon skins associated with every element of the game, but legendary should mean legendary effort that spans the entire game.

As for the utility of legendary gear in raids, a guildee of mine said it perfectly – by the time you put in the effort probably needed for one set of legendary armor, you can probably have at least 4 sets in each weight division anyway (which would be better than legendary because you can then have multiple sets of runes).

Legendary armor should be prestigious and be about illustrating a mastery of EVERY part of the game.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I like how there are people who still are under the delusion that stat-swapping actually matters.

I know right, set my legendary weapons to zurker, never changed them, ever.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

Eh don’t feel bad, this is just the state that the game has degenerated to. ANET built a community up that was used to faceroll easy content and now that they put interesting rewards behind content that may require a tiny bit of time investment or skill, they’re up in arms. They’ll nerf it though or provide an alternate, long as heck material Timegated route though. That I have no doubt.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

Eh don’t feel bad, this is just the state that the game has degenerated to. ANET built a community up that was used to faceroll easy content and now that they put interesting rewards behind content that may require a tiny bit of time investment or skill, they’re up in arms. They’ll nerf it though or provide an alternate, long as heck material Timegated route though. That I have no doubt.

I am getting sick of the attitude that all raids take is a little bit of effort and that if someone can’t beat a raid, it just means that they are unwilling to put in effort.

I have been practicing since the raid came out, and I haven’t beaten VG yet, but I hope to one day. But please don’t tell me that it only takes a tiny bit of time investment or skill because I’ve put in more than that.

Then again, Dark Souls taught me that there isn’t anything that a gamer won’t call easy.

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

I am getting sick of the attitude that all raids take is a little bit of effort and that if someone can’t beat a raid, it just means that they are unwilling to put in effort.

I have been practicing since the raid came out, and I haven’t beaten VG yet, but I hope to one day. But please don’t tell me that it only takes a tiny bit of time investment or skill because I’ve put in more than that.

Then again, Dark Souls taught me that there isn’t anything that a gamer won’t call easy.

Always glad to meet a fellow souls player. Love those games, can’t wait for the new one.

Anyway, I wish more players were like you, most I meet just want to be carried or wait until a clear path to victory comes out they can just follow to obtain their rewards in this game. So hats off to ya, you are investing some time and skill in wanting to learn the mechanics. Most don’t and that’s who I’m referring to.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Astralporing.1957

I am wondering at which point the time and effort invested into something stopped being the measurement for the quality or quantity of rewards given and instead is simply seen as unfounded entitlement on the same levels as the idea to get the best rewards without any trade off like a time investment or effort…

It happens the moment you leave your work to have fun in a game.

There might be multiple ways to gain legendary armor for all we know.

Dev answers in last AMA suggest otherwise.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Choices have consequences.

Maybe someday they’ll just hand things out for just showing up……

I agree. In my opinion, the “everyone gets a trophy” ideology is more damaging than it is positively enforcing.

I understand the whole “I’m this way so you should be too” argument has little ground to stand on, so I won’t directly use that as a means for support. However, I would like to state that there are hundreds of cool things that I do not have in game — but still really, really want. Many of these things are very expensive, or very time consuming to acquire, or just locked behind content that I do not enjoy. It’s realistic that some of these things I will never have. But I am OK with that. I am content with what I have, and what I am working on earning right now. I find alternatives, prioritize, and just do what I enjoy doing. From my personal experience, this mindset has felt very healthy and enjoyable.

It’s true that not everything is perfect. I imagine many of the people coming to these forums to rant are doing so out of their love for the game. I think that is OK, as long as the human element is considered through the exchange. By this I am mainly referring to A-net and their tenancy to be pictured as a greedy company who doesn’t care about you — only your money. It’s a sad truth that economy plays a major part in any organization’s decisions, but it’s important to remember that the people who work at A-net are human beings just like you and me. I have met a few personally, and I can say that those people were really cool dudes. They work nearly every day to make GW2 the fantastic game we are privileged to play today. Using sports as an example, it is easy to take a bench-side view and be able to spot all the faults in the play of a team; we end up saying things like “Oh come on! Why didn’t you do [action]! That should have been easy!” But honestly, when working in-the-moment, the big picture is difficult to grasp when focusing on the details — and vice-versa.

With these two things in mind, perhaps what we all need to practice is patience. Things come with time, and time moves on no matter how it is being spent. If we can do this, I think we can do away with lots of unnecessary negativity.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Asumita.2174

Asumita.2174

Always glad to meet a fellow souls player. Love those games, can’t wait for the new one.

Anyway, I wish more players were like you, most I meet just want to be carried or wait until a clear path to victory comes out they can just follow to obtain their rewards in this game. So hats off to ya, you are investing some time and skill in wanting to learn the mechanics. Most don’t and that’s who I’m referring to.

Another souls player here and waiting for the new one:)
It’d be nice if I could practice the raids without getting called a noob and kicked out of the party. I can see why people lie about their gear or skill level just to get in.

Razor.9872

Another souls player here and waiting for the new one:)
It’d be nice if I could practice the raids without getting called a noob and kicked out of the party. I can see why people lie about their gear or skill level just to get in.

I’m not sure what groups you are joining, but it may be beneficial to form your own with that “we’re all coolzy here” attitude. That is what I do. Sure it takes about 10-18 more minutes, but it’s better than slowing other people’s standards or placing yourself under stressful conditions. The process can be quickened by joining an active, like-minded guild.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Isn’t it time we stopped peddling the “casuals vs hardcore” meme? It’s nonsensical and divisive. And just as there’s disagreement on what constitutes a casual, there’s even disagreement on whether legendary is equivalent to ascended. Some argue that the stat swapping makes legendary better. Maybe you should tackle that argument first.

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

Some argue that the stat swapping makes legendary better. Maybe you should tackle that argument first.

Stat-swapping is useful, but it’s being overestimated a bit. You won’t effectively swap from a full-healer to a full condition damage dealer without replacing runes. Your build will be ineffective at one of these, or you’ll have to burn six runes. (Also: LOL @ Upgrade Extractors) This is how Legendary weapons work, and we can only assume it’ll work the same for the armor. It’ll be nice for things like being able to adjust your Precision or Expertise a bit more accurately.

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

But better for what? What content in gw2 requires you to change stats in a frequent basis? Personally I don’t see it and if it was the case, these people would already have crafted multiple armors by that time since the core game could be played in a very casual way….

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

Legendary armor also requires you to “play” PvE. You will have to be at the end of 300 completed event chains in the new PvE maps with certain items. Of course you do not have to participate in any of the chains. But good luck on getting on a “finished” map every time.

Vayne.8563

This is my argument. It’s not like any other requirement for anything else in the game, because raids DO take far far more effort than anything else in the game. And if you don’t enjoy them, then Anet is requiring you to not enjoy the game.

If you’re enjoying the raiding you’re doing, that’s fine. If you like that kind of banging your head against the wall until you get something done, good for you.

But I don’t enjoy that style of play. Particularly because my home situation requires me to be on call a lot and I don’t always get to sit and do what I want for an hour at a time, or two.

There are a whole lot of people who work, want to come home and relax who play this game. And none of them should get rewards locked behind raids for what reason.

Keep in mind there really was nothing like this in Guild Wars 1 at all. If you couldn’t get through DOA you could still buy a tormented weapon.

Any of the armors you could work on a bit at a time. You could be ectos or obby shards for the hardest armor to get in the game.

Making this beyond the reach of most of the population is a bad move for the game in general. And don’t tell me everyone can do it. Even though I could do it, and I KNOW I could do it, it would involve me doing something I didnt’ enjoy for hours and hours on end. What kind of game is that? Why would I play it? Why would I want to buy gems in it? Why would I want to buy expansions?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

This is my argument. It’s not like any other requirement for anything else in the game, because raids DO take far far more effort than anything else in the game. And if you don’t enjoy them, then Anet is requiring you to not enjoy the game.

And yet I don’t enjoy them….ankitten ot required to do them.

Vayne.8563

You are not required to do them….unless you want legendary armor. This is the truth as we know it so far. There are people working on their legendary sets right now…I happen not to be one of them.

You don’t have to agree with I’m saying, but it doesn’t make it any less valid.

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

I went back to look back at the wording ArenaNet used in their blog about raids and this armor: (Source)

“Secondly, raids will introduce the very first ever set of legendary armor.

The raids are introducing the first set. They did not say it will be the only set ever.

I can’t speak for everyone, but if it made people less upset I wouldn’t care if Envoy Armor’s precursor or the legendary itself was something we could just sell on the Trading Post.

Astralporing.1957

I went back to look back at the wording ArenaNet used in their blog about raids and this armor: (Source)

The raids are introducing the first set. They did not say it will be the only set ever.

They didn’t, that’s true. On the other hand, while their answer on AMA was not all that clear, it seemed to suggest they are not planning any other way of acquisition.
In fact, it opens the possibility that if they are thinking about any possible future legendary armor, they plan for it to also be obtainable through (future) raids only.

Which is a moot point. Knowing how fast anet works, we will likely not see any other legendary armor set for years.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

They didn’t, that’s true. On the other hand, while their answer on AMA was not all that clear, it seemed to suggest they are not planning any other way of acquisition.
In fact, it opens the possibility that if they are thinking about any possible future legendary armor, they plan for it to also be obtainable through (future) raids only.

Which is a moot point. Knowing how fast anet works, we will likely not see any other legendary armor set for years.

Actually saying that they are not planning for another way of acquisition is normal. People like to say that only 2% or 5% of the population is raiding, but we don’t have exact numbers. If, by the time we get the full Legendary Armor, there is only a small 5% getting it, then it would be a good time to start working. If by the time we get the full Legendary Armor the percentage running Raids has increased to a higher level, deemed “acceptable”, there won’t be a need for it.

The reason for this is because Raids are getting easier by the day. Not because of nerfs, but because players figure out better and better builds and strategies. You don’t know how many players will be farming the Vale Guardian in 3 months.

But in any case I do hope they have a strategy planned for when we have 2 or 3 Raids and the raid population is split among them and it’s even harder to get a group for Spirit Vale. If they don’t, that would be a much bigger problem than any other.

Sird.4536

Isn’t it time we stopped peddling the “casuals vs hardcore” meme? It’s nonsensical and divisive. And just as there’s disagreement on what constitutes a casual, there’s even disagreement on whether legendary is equivalent to ascended. Some argue that the stat swapping makes legendary better. Maybe you should tackle that argument first.

Ok I will bite.

Ascended gear can be stat swapped as well. Sure the runes get removed but if you went from berserker legendary armour with scholar runes to viper you would keep the scholar runes? Of course not so either way you would have to change runes. The only cost will be through insignias and ectos. How often do you stat change that you can’t pay that?

RP enthusiast

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

I want to be clear. I got Winter’s Presence due to a lot of effort with the JP (and trying to buy a few drinks each day instead of all at once). I earned it, and it took a lot of effort, but it wasn’t easy. At the same time, I am hoping that they don’t do the same thing for the Mad King’s Clock Tower during the next Halloween, since I think that’s even harder the the Wintersday JP, and I’m not looking forward to beating my head against that.

I have been working at the raid for months and haven’t gotten it yet, though I have gotten to phase 5 on VG — at which point the teleports hit the ranged people too, and I was having trouble dealing with that and healing, and I got kicked from the group because they wanted to let a guildie heal instead. (I’ve tried druid healer or PS warrior, depending on what the group needs.)

At this point, it does feel like I am hitting my head against the wall. I’ll keep at it because I’m stubborn like that, but I don’t think this is fun anymore. I’ll beat VG eventually, but it’s soured me on the concept of other raids in the future. I might be able to deal with Gorseval or Sabetha in time, maybe, but I’m less certain about Slothasor. I’ll beat VG, think about Gorseval and Sabetha, but I’m not sure I want to go on to the other raid wings when I’m still struggling with the first one.

Finally, as a side note, as a healer, there is a reason to tweak your stats, since there is a tradeoff between healing, power, and toughness by using keeper’s, magi’s, and cleric’s. If you want primary healing + secondary power, you have to take some toughness as well. You can drop some of the toughness and keep the healing, but you lose power too (cleric vs magi). You can also tradeoff between healing and power a bit (cleric vs zealot). It would be useful to tweak your stats such that your toughness is just below the tank’s or such that you can tradeoff power for healing to match your group’s needs. However, you would want to keep the same runes in any case.

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

You are not required to do them….unless you want legendary armor. This is the truth as we know it so far. There are people working on their legendary sets right now…I happen not to be one of them.

I’m working on it right now and I’m forced to “play” or “visit” the new PvE maps EVERY DAY. The raid part of the legendary armor seems to be the easier part. LOL.

Razor.9872

I’m working on it right now and I’m forced to “play” or “visit” the new PvE maps EVERY DAY. The raid part of the legendary armor seems to be the easier part. LOL.

But you aren’t forced to be working on them.

NSPride <3

Absurdo.8309

I read this as a tongue in cheek reply to those who say they are “forced” to do raids. Especially with the “LOL” art the end.

Vayne.8563

I read this as a tongue in cheek reply to those who say they are “forced” to do raids. Especially with the “LOL” art the end.

We’re not forced to do raids, nor play the game at all. But if the rewards that are new and good are mostly now hidden behind raids, that’s where the pressure is. I’ve left games in the past for just that reason.

Forced might be the wrong word, feel free to read it is strongly encouraged or guided by the push of the game company.

Try to put yourself in a casual players place. After the Winter update, we had two things on top of our screen on the right at the same time….PvP leagues and Raids. That’s what the game was giving us.

Are we “forced” to do it? No, not in the literal sense of the word force. It’s too bad people tend to take things literally the first time they read it, because no matter how many times you explain it afterwards, they continue to push their misinterpretation over the actual intended meaning. That’s sort of the whole point of explaining it.

To be clear in the cases where I’ve been using it forced means strongly incentivized. Pressured. Pushed in the direction of.

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

If you’re enjoying the raiding you’re doing, that’s fine. If you like that kind of banging your head against the wall until you get something done, good for you.

But I don’t enjoy that style of play. Particularly because my home situation requires me to be on call a lot and I don’t always get to sit and do what I want for an hour at a time, or two.

There are a whole lot of people who work, want to come home and relax who play this game. And none of them should get rewards locked behind raids for what reason.

Keep in mind there really was nothing like this in Guild Wars 1 at all. If you couldn’t get through DOA you could still buy a tormented weapon.

Any of the armors you could work on a bit at a time. You could be ectos or obby shards for the hardest armor to get in the game.

Making this beyond the reach of most of the population is a bad move for the game in general. And don’t tell me everyone can do it. Even though I could do it, and I KNOW I could do it, it would involve me doing something I didnt’ enjoy for hours and hours on end. What kind of game is that? Why would I play it? Why would I want to buy gems in it? Why would I want to buy expansions?

This really makes no sense to me. If I don’t want to participate in certain content such as PvP, or adventures, or open world events, why should I expect to receive the rewards for doing so?

I can certainly understand the argument that mandatory/necessary rewards such as masteries should not be locked behind niche content. In fact, I definitely have a bit of a gripe about masteries being locked behind adventures as I find this content extremely tedious and have no interest in participating.

Having said that, I don’t view legendary armor as mandatory content. There is no justification for making every legendary item attainable by all content pathways. Raids should have exclusive items, as should PvP, as should adventures, open world achievements, and so on. As long as they are all equivalent, ANet stays true to the original intent.

If that means I have to participate in undesirable content if I want to get a specific legendary skin, then so be it. That doesn’t mean I’m being forced to do anything.

Finally, I recognize that the time frame matters. If raids have access to the only legendary armor pieces for a significant period of time, that isn’t really fair to those who don’t raid. But what do you propose we do? It is not acceptable in my mind to grant exclusive raid legendaries for non-raid content just as it would be inappropriate to provide PvP legendaries for open-world content. But they do need to provide reward paths to suit various types of players. Based on what I’ve heard of this game’s history, it’s only fair.

Vayne.8563

This really makes no sense to me. If I don’t want to participate in certain content such as PvP, or adventures, or open world events, why should I expect to receive the rewards for doing so?

I can certainly understand the argument that mandatory/necessary rewards such as masteries should not be locked behind niche content. In fact, I definitely have a bit of a gripe about masteries being locked behind adventures as I find this content extremely tedious and have no interest in participating.

Having said that, I don’t view legendary armor as mandatory content. There is no justification for making every legendary item attainable by all content pathways. Raids should have exclusive items, as should PvP, as should adventures, open world achievements, and so on. As long as they are all equivalent, ANet stays true to the original intent.

If that means I have to participate in undesirable content if I want to get a specific legendary skin, then so be it. That doesn’t mean I’m being forced to do anything.

Finally, I recognize that the time frame matters. If raids have access to the only legendary armor pieces for a significant period of time, that isn’t really fair to those who don’t raid. But what do you propose we do? It is not acceptable in my mind to grant exclusive raid legendaries for non-raid content just as it would be inappropriate to provide PvP legendaries for open-world content. But they do need to provide reward paths to suit various types of players. Based on what I’ve heard of this game’s history, it’s only fair.

I’ve said it numerous times in numerous threads. This isn’t that hard a matter.

If you’re going to lock legendary armor behind raids, make it sellable. If not, use a really cool awesome skin for raids and give the functionality to a cheaper looking lengedary for different content.

I’m not asking for something faceroll easy. Or cheap. I’m asking to add another goal for me to work toward without investing huge amounts of time in something I’m not enjoying.

I’m not sure why people find this so unreasonable.

Astralporing.1957

That’s not a good question. The real one is “why should i expect to get better rewarded just because i like a content that majority of the players dislike”.

Having said that, I don’t view legendary armor as mandatory content.

Neither do i (after all, nothing in this game is truly mandatory). But i do see them as developers’ signal to the community about which content is favoured by them (and which isn’t).

There is no justification for making every legendary item attainable by all content pathways.

And why exactly is that?

Raids should have exclusive items, as should PvP, as should adventures, open world achievements, and so on. As long as they are all equivalent, ANet stays true to the original intent.

You might use skins for that. When you start using gear tiers, things stop being equivalent.

If that means I have to participate in undesirable content if I want to get a specific legendary skin, then so be it.

You may think that way, i don’t. Especially if the content is extremely unfun for me.

That doesn’t mean I’m being forced to do anything.

Sure, i’m not forced to do anything, including playing the game. It still makes the game much less enjoyable.

If they cannot provide a second set soon, then giving an alternate way to obtain this one will be the only solution. Because while you might think that’s inappropriate, i think that withholding legendary armor from the majority of player populace is far worse.

Actions, not words.

Ashen.2907

I am not required to do them even if I want legendary armor. There are skins in the PvP rewards track that I want. I don’t like GW2’s sPvP desig and so do not want to participate.

Luckily I am not required to do PvP just because I want something associated with it.

I get that you want something that is gated behind content that you do not want to play. There have been rewards gated behind content that people, including myself, do not want to play since the game launched. This has been part of Anet’s design intention, decisions, and implementation since before the game launched, and was not a secret. Apparently, in the past, this did not seem to impact you (or at least not sufficiently to be worth complaint). Now it, apparently does, and is worth complaint. OK.

Welcome to the club. A message with the club secret handshake and decoder ring is on the way.

Vayne.8563

I am not required to do them even if I want legendary armor. There are skins in the PvP rewards track that I want. I don’t like GW2’s sPvP desig and so do not want to participate.

Luckily I am not required to do PvP just because I want something associated with it.

I get that you want something that is gated behind content that you do not want to play. There have been rewards gated behind content that people, including myself, do not want to play since the game launched. This has been part of Anet’s design intention, decisions, and implementation since before the game launched, and was not a secret. Apparently, in the past, this did not seem to impact you (or at least not sufficiently to be worth complaint). Now it, apparently does, and is worth complaint. OK.

Welcome to the club. A message with the club secret handshake and decoder ring is on the way.

As long as Legendary has been set up with features that non-legendary armor does have, as long as stats sets are locked behind one content type that MOST PLAYERS will never access, this game has steered from it’s original course.

You may not think it’s a big deal but this is a lot more than me just wanting something I’ll never have. This is a change of direction from a game that allowed people to work slowly toward something casually, to a game that doesn’t allow people to work slowly toward something.

Today it’s legendary armor and new stat sets for jewelry. But if you’re willing to lock that behind raids today, what happens in the future as more raids are created.

It’s always fun to try to turn an argument into well I want stuff to, so you’re not a special snowflake, but this situation doesn’t actually exist anywhere else in the game. You can get fractal weapon skins only in fractals for example….but fractals take almost no time to play today and more than that, they’re simply skins. They offer no functionality that you can’t get outside of Fractals.

Legendary armor, and ascended stat sets locked behind raids do in fact offer you something you can’t get anywhere else. And the time/cost/effort of doing raids is really different than anything else in the game.

As an example, you can lose in PvP over and over and still further a reward track. You don’t have to get to diamond league even to get a legendary backpack. You can play a PvP match in roughly 15 minutes, so if you’re patient, over time, you can get that legendary backpack. Of course, you can also get a legendary backpack from fractals, even if it’s not in the game yet. It will be soon enough.

Locking any tier of content with features behind the aspect of the game that takes the most time and preparation is only going to serve to alienate people who don’t have the time to spend banging away at something, particularly if not everyone enjoys it.

You can say this is about greed or entitlement and you would be wrong. It’s about a decision Anet made that I’m pretty sure is bad for the game.

If this was only about skins or minis, I’d have no problem with it.

Ashen.2907

As long as Legendary has been set up with features that non-legendary armor does have, as long as stats sets are locked behind one content type that MOST PLAYERS will never access, this game has steered from it’s original course.

You may not think it’s a big deal but this is a lot more than me just wanting something I’ll never have. This is a change of direction from a game that allowed people to work slowly toward something casually, to a game that doesn’t allow people to work slowly toward something.

Today it’s legendary armor and new stat sets for jewelry. But if you’re willing to lock that behind raids today, what happens in the future as more raids are created.

It’s always fun to try to turn an argument into well I want stuff to, so you’re not a special snowflake, but this situation doesn’t actually exist anywhere else in the game. You can get fractal weapon skins only in fractals for example….but fractals take almost no time to play today and more than that, they’re simply skins. They offer no functionality that you can’t get outside of Fractals.

Legendary armor, and ascended stat sets locked behind raids do in fact offer you something you can’t get anywhere else. And the time/cost/effort of doing raids is really different than anything else in the game.

As an example, you can lose in PvP over and over and still further a reward track. You don’t have to get to diamond league even to get a legendary backpack. You can play a PvP match in roughly 15 minutes, so if you’re patient, over time, you can get that legendary backpack. Of course, you can also get a legendary backpack from fractals, even if it’s not in the game yet. It will be soon enough.

Locking any tier of content with features behind the aspect of the game that takes the most time and preparation is only going to serve to alienate people who don’t have the time to spend banging away at something, particularly if not everyone enjoys it.

You can say this is about greed or entitlement and you would be wrong. It’s about a decision Anet made that I’m pretty sure is bad for the game.

If this was only about skins or minis, I’d have no problem with it.

I am not saying that it is about greed or entitlement. I dont think that either apply. There is nothing entitled or greedy about wanting something, or even expressing that want.

What I am saying is that things that players want have been gated behind content that players don’t like since the game launched. This phenomenon is not new. That this would be the case was not a secret.

Feel free to express your concern. Complain as needed. Tell the company what might be done to make you a happy customer again. Its not entitlement. Its not greedy. Its being a responsive consumer. Other people have been doing it since launch.

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

It’s not like Anet didn’t know that raids would be hated by a portion of its players. When players would create threads on this forum asking Anet to implement raiding there were many posters who were averse to the idea. So for Anet to gate probably one of the biggest “shinies” in the game behind raids was a terrible idea.

Many people don’t like the raiding culture and have left games because of it. The whole “if your not a raider you don’t deserve the good stuff” attitude. People are tired of smug, condescending pricks who happily demean anyone they don’t consider to be their equal. Gear check, ap points, rune set, sigil set etc. etc. I am not saying everyone who does a raid is like this but raids do attract a fair number of these types. Why would Anet want to reward this??? It baffles the mind.