Writs of Experience and Mastery XP

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: eremos.8142

eremos.8142

Q:

Will Writs of Experience give mastery XP at level 80?

Xander Moss
Gandara

Posted by: Iretha.7625

Iretha.7625

They most likely will not.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

What I understood is that when you “level up” after level 80 you’ll get mastery point instead of skill point, so yes in the end Writs of Experience will give mastery points imo.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

Wait until 12:00 PST and see what Rubi and co say on Points of Interest?

eremos.8142

What I understood is that when you “level up” after level 80 you’ll get mastery point instead of skill point, so yes in the end Writs of Experience will give mastery points imo.

Based on the article about the mastery system, I don’t think there will be level ups after 80 anymore. XP gained goes exclusively towards progressing your currently selected mastery track.

Mastery points are earned through other means.

Source:

Because the Mastery training bar completely replaces the experience bar, players who’ve reached level 80 will no longer gain levels but will instead train Masteries.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/reimagining-progression-the-mastery-system/

Xander Moss
Gandara

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Based on the article about the mastery system, I don’t think there will be level ups after 80 anymore. XP gained goes exclusively towards progressing your currently selected mastery track.

Mastery points are earned through other means.

Source:

Because the Mastery training bar completely replaces the experience bar, players who’ve reached level 80 will no longer gain levels but will instead train Masteries.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/reimagining-progression-the-mastery-system/

It becomes a mastery experience bar. Id expect writs of experience to work towards mastery points. Otherwise people with no low lvl toons have no use for them.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Related to this. Are Mastery points also earned in WvW when you’re 80? If not, what will exp be replaced with in WvW, or will it just be removed and all we earn is WXP? If the latter is the case, what happens to toons below 80 in WvW? Will they still earn exp AND WXP at the same time, or will they stop earning WXP until they are 80?

I would actually be delighted if you could not earn WXP until you’re level 80. That would considerably reduce the amount of uplevels in EotM.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Cloudz.6890

Cloudz.6890

So going along with that, do you guys think that Tomes of Knowledge that specifically increase the level by one(instead of giving a flat xp amount) will work for MP as well? I guess technically it gives you enough xp to level though.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

So going along with that, do you guys think that Tomes of Knowledge that specifically increase the level by one(instead of giving a flat xp amount) will work for MP as well? I guess technically it gives you enough xp to level though.

Most likely not, since people are sitting on stacks of those tomes and they would max out their masteries in a matter of minutes after the expansion launches.

Masteries are meant to be the main character progression of Guild Wars 2 and they are also account bound. Being able to shoot through that progression with Tomes would be the most stupid business decision ever.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I don’t think that anything that gives regular XP now will give mastery XP when HoT is released, I’m sure they don’t want people filling out masteries on Day 1 using stored up Writs of Experience or Tomes of Knowledge.

I would guess that the Writs of Experience will be largely useless unless you’re planning an alt but the Tomes of Knowledge will still give a skill point. That said, maybe they’ll create a way to trade in, say, 20 Writs of Experience for a Tome of Knowledge?

eremos.8142

That said, maybe they’ll create a way to trade in, say, 20 Writs of Experience for a Tome of Knowledge?

I consider that a pretty strong possibility, it would be a tidy way to give a fresh start. My only argument against this is that they introduced the writs so recently. They must have known what direction they were going with masteries, so why introduce a new item that will just be made obsolete a few months later? And what would they put in the daily chests instead?

Perhaps they’ll do this and Writs of Mastery will replace them in daily chests after HoT launches.

Xander Moss
Gandara

(edited by eremos.8142)

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I’m pretty sure training masteries will be similar to gaining levels after level 80, thus gaining experience will just improve your mastery rating. I’m also unclear as to whether masteries will only be available to Heart of Thorns players, or if all players will get masteries and only core will be available to those who lack the expansion. Otherwise, why do they need to add as many new skill points as they seemed to indicate they’ll need?

As for the Tome of Knowledges, do they grant a full experience boost to players at level 80? I’ve been holding on to the tomes as my level 80 characters really do not need level boosts.

Belzebu.3912

Well … Writs of Experience gives XP, XP gained goes to the mastery track, so 1 + 1 = 2

eremos.8142

I’m pretty sure training masteries will be similar to gaining levels after level 80, thus gaining experience will just improve your mastery rating. I’m also unclear as to whether masteries will only be available to Heart of Thorns players, or if all players will get masteries and only core will be available to those who lack the expansion. Otherwise, why do they need to add as many new skill points as they seemed to indicate they’ll need?

As for the Tome of Knowledges, do they grant a full experience boost to players at level 80? I’ve been holding on to the tomes as my level 80 characters really do not need level boosts.

Good point. The whole mastery system is only available to people who buy HoT, so it would be weird to give Writs of Mastery in daily chests, unless vanilla players just get Writs of Experience instead. That would also explain why they would introduce them in the first place if they were just planning to make them obsolete later.

Tomes of Knowledge give skill points at 80, so they’ll likely continue to function as they do now.

Well … Writs of Experience gives XP, XP gained goes to the mastery track, so 1 + 1 = 2

That would be logical, but ANet might not want to give people that much of a head start.

Xander Moss
Gandara

Belzebu.3912

ANet already stated that many players will have mastery points as soon as they log, so I don’t see why such item couldn’t be used to get a few mastery points.
Otherwise they would need to give a way to change the Writs for something else since it will turn useless for lvl 80 players.

eremos.8142

ANet already stated that many players will have mastery points as soon as they log, so I don’t see why such item couldn’t be used to get a few mastery points.
Otherwise they would need to give a way to change the Writs for something else since it will turn useless for lvl 80 players.

Mastery points, yes, but points are only used to unlock tracks. To actually earn stuff on those tracks, you need xp.

So veterans may be able to unlock all the tracks on day 1, but they’ll still be earning actual rewards at the same rate as everyone else.

Xander Moss
Gandara

Belzebu.3912

Something is kinda odd there, if mastery points will be only to unlock tracks, then points will become useless after you unlock all the tracks, is that how you think it will work?

Posted by: Cloudz.6890

Cloudz.6890

Something is kinda odd there, if mastery points will be only to unlock tracks, then points will become useless after you unlock all the tracks, is that how you think it will work?

I imagine, like skill points, there will be a vendor that sells something for MP.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Tons of recipes use skill points at the moment how are they continuing that (and not destroying the market), when mastery XP takes over normal EXP? i don’t get it. Big problem in the makes. What with existing skill points? I got loads on my chars and i don’t feel like giving them up… (or making them pointless for when I need them).

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Belzebu.3912

I imagine, like skill points, there will be a vendor that sells something for MP.

I see, looking that way it makes much more sense.

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

In before Revenant cant use Wits of experience or tomes of knowledge for 4 weeks to prevent instant lvl 80s.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Pifil.5193

I consider that a pretty strong possibility, it would be a tidy way to give a fresh start. My only argument against this is that they introduced the writs so recently. They must have known what direction they were going with masteries, so why introduce a new item that will just be made obsolete a few months later? And what would they put in the daily chests instead?

Perhaps they’ll do this and Writs of Mastery will replace them in daily chests after HoT launches.

Maybe they will, but for our character’s birthdays they gave us scrolls that can boost a character’s level to 20 but do nothing for a character above level 20 (I have over 20 of those scrolls in my bank) so I think there’s a real possibility that they simply don’t think this is an issue at all and we will still get Writs of Experience in our daily chests even if they will be of no use to a lot of players.

eremos.8142

Correct.

To train a specific Mastery track, you must first unlock it by spending Mastery points. Mastery points are awarded for completing various pieces of game content. Things like completing a chapter in your personal story, completing certain achievements, reaching hard-to-find locations, overcoming challenging encounters, excelling at adventures found within the Heart of Maguuma, or earning 100% completion for a map will award Mastery points. Each Mastery point can be earned once per account, so while Mastery points allow you to unlock Mastery tracks, they are also an indicator of how much of the game you’ve experienced. In fact, once you have unlocked the ability to train Masteries, your nameplate will display the number of Mastery points you have gained rather than your level. Mastery points can be gained at any level but cannot be spent until level 80.

Once you’ve unlocked a Mastery track tier with Mastery points, you can begin training that Mastery. Mastery tracks are trained by gaining experience while the Mastery track is slotted on the Mastery training bar. Higher tiers in Mastery tracks require progressively more Mastery points and more experience to fully train.

Presumably unlocking the higher tiers will require quite a lot of points, but it’s also worth bearing in mind that there will be a finite number of points that can be earned. You get them by completing specific pieces of content, not indefinitely like skill points. There might well be more mastery tracks and tiers than you can unlock with the points available.

Xander Moss
Gandara

(edited by eremos.8142)

eremos.8142

Tons of recipes use skill points at the moment how are they continuing that (and not destroying the market), when mastery XP takes over normal EXP? i don’t get it. Big problem in the makes. What with existing skill points? I got loads on my chars and i don’t feel like giving them up… (or making them pointless for when I need them).

They’re offsetting the fact that you no longer earn skill points at 80 by giving you them through other means. It’s not clear what exactly those means are, but we already get them through champ bags among other places, so maybe they’ll just increase the drop rates a bit.

Xander Moss
Gandara

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

I don’t know if they’re gonna reward mastery points or anything, I do know I’m saving them in my bank just in case

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

eremos.8142

I don’t know if they’re gonna reward mastery points or anything, I do know I’m saving them in my bank just in case

Me too. But I’m currently going out of my way to do PvE dailies mostly in the hope that they will be useful. If I know they won’t be, I won’t bother anymore.

Xander Moss
Gandara

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Here is what I got out of the article when it was released. Hopefully with todays PoI (which is supposed to show mastery stuff) we’ll have a better idea.

Since the article mentions tiers, to me the article makes me think each mastery line will look like PvP reward tracks, where we would need to use the Mastery Points at each of the big item on the PvP track (like the dungeon weapon boxes for dungeon tracks). So we’d have the xp gain giving us the minor rewards/unlocks (the mini tracks in the PvP tracks, where tomes/crystals/loot boxes), but to get that next “weapon box” we would have to unlock that next tier in the list with the Mastery Points.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: BrettM.9062

BrettM.9062

Aside from writs, tomes, and scrolls, I also wonder what happens with guild XP buffs and banners. Do they suddenly become useless except for guild members who are leveling an alt? Will there be new mastery boosts and banners that guilds will have to unlock?

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

Is there a master topic where we can dump all the questions that we’d like to ask Anet during the upcoming POI ?

Because this question about XP consumables and mastery points clearly belongs to that kind of topic.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Since mastery progress replaces skill points at level 80, as long as you have a mastery unlocked and active, it should get all the XP, including wrists.

What I wonder is what will happen if you have no mastery active. Will it all go to waste?

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Good question, but I imagine the first mastery might unlock just from playing the game. It’s something to beta test to make sure it doesn’t break the game if someone deliberately avoids garnering that first point.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

There are a finite number of Mastery Points for any one person to obtain. Mastery Points are only gained through things that would provide achievements, like completing a story section or finishing a jumping puzzle. There are potentially infinite number of Master Tracks, because there are tracks for whatever ANet wants them for, and then also improved versions of those same tracks. As such there will never be more Mastery Points than Mastery Tracks, because they can easily define it as such, and it’s entirely possible that there may be more Master Tracks than Master Points, because, again, they can define it as such.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Kal Spiro.9745

That’s an easy fix. Monthly reward: Box full of Skill Points. Don’t want Laurels, Obsidian Shards or whatever the other option is? Have a bunch of skill points.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

Kal Spiro.9745

Maybe they will, but for our character’s birthdays they gave us scrolls that can boost a character’s level to 20 but do nothing for a character above level 20 (I have over 20 of those scrolls in my bank) so I think there’s a real possibility that they simply don’t think this is an issue at all and we will still get Writs of Experience in our daily chests even if they will be of no use to a lot of players.

Time to start farming keys, you’ve got 20 keys just waiting to be rolled right there.

Kal Spiro.9745

Here is what I got out of the article when it was released. Hopefully with todays PoI (which is supposed to show mastery stuff) we’ll have a better idea.

Since the article mentions tiers, to me the article makes me think each mastery line will look like PvP reward tracks, where we would need to use the Mastery Points at each of the big item on the PvP track (like the dungeon weapon boxes for dungeon tracks). So we’d have the xp gain giving us the minor rewards/unlocks (the mini tracks in the PvP tracks, where tomes/crystals/loot boxes), but to get that next “weapon box” we would have to unlock that next tier in the list with the Mastery Points.

This is almost exactly as they described it in the blog, even equating it to PvP tracks themselves, so yes, you are almost certainly correct.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

As long as xp infusions work with the mastery system, I really don’t care too much…

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Presumably unlocking the higher tiers will require quite a lot of points, but it’s also worth bearing in mind that there will be a finite number of points that can be earned. You get them by completing specific pieces of content, not indefinitely like skill points. There might well be more mastery tracks and tiers than you can unlock with the points available.

That would be crazy. Not saying it’s impossible – the trait revamp was also crazy, it’s not like ANet is great at understanding the impact of changes.

But limiting player access to content like that would be insane. With classes and races we can make an alt, with skills and traits we can unlock and swap. Preventing a player from ever getting access to all the mastery tracks would be a complete slap in the face.

Pifil.5193

Time to start farming keys, you’ve got 20 keys just waiting to be rolled right there.

Yeah, I think I’ll do just that. Someone else said that to me recently too, I can’t believe I never thought of it myself. I really like the early personal stories and yet… whooosh… the idea went right over my head.

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

That would be crazy. Not saying it’s impossible – the trait revamp was also crazy, it’s not like ANet is great at understanding the impact of changes.

But limiting player access to content like that would be insane. With classes and races we can make an alt, with skills and traits we can unlock and swap. Preventing a player from ever getting access to all the mastery tracks would be a complete slap in the face.

Achievements (all achieves or only some they didnt say) will also give mastery points. So if you have 20k+ AP you might have enough mastery points for the start.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).