XP for masteries being wasted

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: MAUS HOUS.8047

MAUS HOUS.8047

So I completed the Auric basin meta and got 250,000 ish XP but I only needed 30,000 to level up my mastery…. it seems the rest of the 220,000 XP has just vanished into thin air and has not being applied to the next mastery in that track or the next one I choose to level Now I feel like I have to manage my XP and how I get it in order to maximise my XP gain instead of doing the events I want because it will waste the XP.

Anybody else feel the same way? Is there away Anet could fix this? It’s not a massive game breaking thing but it would help out a lot of people I suppose!

Holla. At. Me.

Posted by: Alveda.8409

Alveda.8409

Your exp was added toward another exp track. Usually, it would be the highest tier mastery track.

Posted by: Anyandrell.6238

Anyandrell.6238

It doesn’t get added to anything.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I noticed this as well, very broken mechanics.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

It definitely used to divert XP overflow to another mastery track unless all the tracks were already at a “upgrade point” Can’t say whether it still does as I am nowhere near filling any of the remaining bars…

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

According to the Wiki:

Once your XP bar has completely filled, the game will notify you that your track is complete. Any additional XP earned will be allocated to a randomly selected track until you select a different track to work toward.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery#Mastery_experience

If there has been a change, no one has noticed that edits the Wiki.

Posted by: undouble.1472

undouble.1472

Speaking of “masteries”—————-why does the system operate differently in Tyria than in HoT?? In HoT, mastery points can be gained character-by-character, thus allowing the account to master all of the tracks. In Tyria, once a “mastery point” has been gained, that’s it!!———-and that means there are NOT enough available “mastery points” to allow for the tracks to be completed————————-UNLESS the player (NOT the character(s)) elects to play “fractals” and/or “dungeons” and/or PvP. For TOO MANY of us, group play is NOT a viable option—- ok when there’s a crowd that wants to do the same thing—————not so good otherwise. This includes WvW by the way———too often one sees a “follow the leader” group blindly going from a start point to ?? without rhyme or reason.
I’d much prefer having “mastery points” collectible by the character (limited as it is in HoT for follow-on characters) in Tyria as well.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

what is —-—— supposed to do?

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Speaking of “masteries”—————-why does the system operate differently in Tyria than in HoT?? In HoT, mastery points can be gained character-by-character, thus allowing the account to master all of the tracks. In Tyria, once a “mastery point” has been gained, that’s it!!———-and that means there are NOT enough available “mastery points” to allow for the tracks to be completed————————-UNLESS the player (NOT the character(s)) elects to play “fractals” and/or “dungeons” and/or PvP. For TOO MANY of us, group play is NOT a viable option—- ok when there’s a crowd that wants to do the same thing—————not so good otherwise. This includes WvW by the way———too often one sees a “follow the leader” group blindly going from a start point to ?? without rhyme or reason.
I’d much prefer having “mastery points” collectible by the character (limited as it is in HoT for follow-on characters) in Tyria as well.

Ummmm no …….
Once an account has gotten a MP in either Core or HoT it can no longer be obtained by a different char. I know this for a fact since my other half was in HoT with a new char just this morning maybe about 2 hours ago and went to a new spot to her with a MP and a HP. Went to commune the MP and it said “nope you already have it” while the HP was still doable since the HP are per char.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

It definitely used to divert XP overflow to another mastery track unless all the tracks were already at a “upgrade point” Can’t say whether it still does as I am nowhere near filling any of the remaining bars…

Well that assumes there is a track to divert to. Also while it can divert individual packets of exp that might not be the case for one big chunk like for a meta reward. Fractals can also give 100s of thousands but that gets delivered in multiple 25k packets of exp.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I never had it divert automatically. I always had to manually select a new track. I suspect that it bugs out sometimes or tries to diver to the wrong track.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

undouble.1472

Ummmm no …….
Once an account has gotten a MP in either Core or HoT it can no longer be obtained by a different char. I know this for a fact since my other half was in HoT with a new char just this morning maybe about 2 hours ago and went to a new spot to her with a MP and a HP. Went to commune the MP and it said “nope you already have it” while the HP was still doable since the HP are per char.

No, that’s not “quite” right in HOT. Most of the “commune” points CAN be achieved and mastery points received by multiple characters on an account ( in HoT only). This action does NOT work in the Core (and it should). Agreed, “named” mastery points are achievable ONCE per account in both HoT and Core.

undouble.1472

Ummmm no …….

No, that’s not “quite” right in HOT. Most of the “commune” points CAN be achieved and mastery points received by multiple characters on an account ( in HoT only). This action does NOT work in the Core (and it should). Agreed, “named” mastery points are achievable ONCE per account in both HoT and Core.

ANET, can you comment and clarify??

Posted by: TeeracK.3601

TeeracK.3601

I wish they would make it so you could select a bar that just rewards mastery points at the end so ex would have a use and you didnt need to stress much about achievements. Like how hero points used to work.

Khisanth.2948

Hero points never worked like that either. Those were skill points which are not equivalent. Skill points are a combination of hero points and spirit shards.

Khisanth.2948

Ummmm no …….

ANET, can you comment and clarify??

You seem to be confusing hero points and mastery points.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Ummmm no …….

I think I see what you’re saying. The commune points, being hero points, are indeed specific to each toon. The “named” mastery points you’re referring to are mastery points located in the world which can only be received once per account. Then there are the mastery points received by different toons for completing their race-specific story achievements or something, if I understand correctly. I haven’t explored the last avenue yet but that’s what I understand from reading about it on these forums.

Posted by: TeeracK.3601

TeeracK.3601

Hero points never worked like that either. Those were skill points which are not equivalent. Skill points are a combination of hero points and spirit shards.

You knew what I met….

Khisanth.2948

Then there are the mastery points received by different toons for completing their race-specific story achievements or something, if I understand correctly. I haven’t explored the last avenue yet but that’s what I understand from reading about it on these forums.

That is also wrong. Personal Story based mastery points are also account bound. You get one per chapter. Once you have gotten the point for that chapter on any character you will no longer be able to get it again. However the in game UI will still display it like you can but that is just a shortcoming of how they implemented things.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Ummmm no …….

You are incorrect. You are clearly confusing Hero Points and Mastery Points. MPs are account bound and cannot be gained more than once. Hero Points are character specific and can be grabbed by each character. Some HPs are commune points, most MPs are commune points.

But I am 100% sure that once you grab a MP in HoT maps, that no other character can also grab it (and get credit for it, that is).

I know this because I just made a new character that I’ve started HoT zones with and all of the MPs are already completed in the map.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….