XP not carried over to next line in mastery?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Shrimpkin.4851

Shrimpkin.4851

I tried to find if there was a post similar to this one but the forum search failed me, so I apologize if this has been asked somewhere else.

I finished up the Nuhoch mastery line two days ago and switched over to finish the Exalted Assistance line. I filled up the xp bar but was short 2 of the 3 mastery points needed to spend on it. I didn’t worry about this too much as I figured it would just carry over into the next line in the track, Exalted Purification. Just a short while ago I got the last mastery point I needed to get Exalted Assistance. When it switched to Purification I noticed the xp bar didn’t move at all, it’s sitting at 0%.

Did I really just spend the last 2 days doing events etc for absolutely no reason? I have every other HoT mastery completed except this one.

Should it not logically have counted towards the next one in the mastery line?

I’m not anti-social, I’m selectively social. There’s a difference.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

No, it will only carry into a line you directly select from the menu. The mastery points unlock the one you are on, but also unlock access to levelling the next line of the mastery. Part of the idea is to prevent ppl gaming the system, getting all the xp first and then getting the mastery points after and being less tactical on how you spend your mastery points.

I can see why you might have thought it would carry over, but to me it’s much more logical in the way it currently works.

Shrimpkin.4851

No, it will only carry into a line you directly select from the menu. The mastery points unlock the one you are on, but also unlock access to levelling the next line of the mastery. Part of the idea is to prevent ppl gaming the system, getting all the xp first and then getting the mastery points after and being less tactical on how you spend your mastery points.

I can see why you might have thought it would carry over, but to me it’s much more logical in the way it currently works.

Ok, I see.

I can understand that reasoning but it kind of leaves me in a difficult spot. I need 13 more mastery points to finish the Exalted line and I can’t see how to get them. I’ve tried all the adventures and can’t get past bronze in all but three of them. Earning the xp and knowing I don’t have the points to get the mastery is frustrating.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

That’s the point. Gaining masteries is supposed to be a combination of breadth of content and depth. Masteries are the force on the breadth, requiring you to do some specific things. XP is the “depth” that simply requires you to do anything, but a lot of it.

The entire system is designed to ensure that people incapablele to earn enough masterry points are incapable of earning all of the masteries. If the only points left that you can get are related to adventures, and you’re incapable of doing them, it is intended that you are also incapable of earning more mastry points.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Shrimpkin.4851

That’s the point. Gaining masteries is supposed to be a combination of breadth of content and depth. Masteries are the force on the breadth, requiring you to do some specific things. XP is the “depth” that simply requires you to do anything, but a lot of it.

The entire system is designed to ensure that people incapablele to earn enough masterry points are incapable of earning all of the masteries. If the only points left that you can get are related to adventures, and you’re incapable of doing them, it is intended that you are also incapable of earning more mastry points.

I wonder if that is how Anet intended it or your opinion? Regardless, a little harsh I feel.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Exp doesn’t go into the next tier but it does go into other unlocked and incomplete mastery lines if you have any left. For example if you fill up Exalted Assistance and leave it there and then continue earning exp, the exp will go into one of the other HoT mastery lines.

As for wasting exp. That is inevitable anyway. Once you max out your masteries it will be the same situation.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Shrimpkin.4851

Exp doesn’t go into the next tier but it does go into other unlocked and incomplete mastery lines if you have any left. For example if you fill up Exalted Assistance and leave it there and then continue earning exp, the exp will go into one of the other HoT mastery lines.

As for wasting exp. That is inevitable anyway. Once you max out your masteries it will be the same situation.

It didn’t carry over into the next line though. I spent the past two days playing thinking it would count towards Exalted Purification, not the entire line obviously but at least a percentage of it. Yet it’s sitting at 0%. So it looks like I can max out the exp but if I don’t have the mastery points to get it, then any exp after that won’t carry over into the next mastery in the same line.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It didn’t carry over into the next line though. I spent the past two days playing thinking it would count towards Exalted Purification, not the entire line obviously but at least a percentage of it. Yet it’s sitting at 0%. So it looks like I can max out the exp but if I don’t have the mastery points to get it, then any exp after that won’t carry over into the next mastery in the same line.

Not the next mastery in the same line, but the next unfinished mastery in another line.

For example, If someone has a line on Exalted Lore filled up but doesn’t have the mastery points to accept it, they can switch over to a different mastery line, such as Nuhoch Lore, and start filling the next line up. You can continue to switch like that until you get one line of each mastery set filled with XP. After that you must accept one line with mastery points or lose the the XP gained (and even then you’ll only be able to train the next line of that one mastery set, as the others will still need mastery points in order to go further).

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Shrimpkin.4851

Not the next mastery in the same line, but the next unfinished mastery in another line.

For example, If someone has a line on Exalted Lore filled up but doesn’t have the mastery points to accept it, they can switch over to a different mastery line, such as Nuhoch Lore, and start filling the next line up. You can continue to switch like that until you get one line of each mastery set filled with XP. After that you must accept one line with mastery points or lose the the XP gained (and even then you’ll only be able to train the next line of that one mastery set, as the others will still need mastery points in order to go further).

Now I get it. Thank you.

I also get there’s no point in playing until they add ways to get more mastery points, which is a shame because I was enjoying the new maps after getting used to them.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

And this reaction…

I also get there’s no point in playing until they add ways to get more mastery points, which is a shame because I was enjoying the new maps after getting used to them.

…is why I question the wisdom of…

… this design.

Using carrots to get people to try stuff they’re not inclined to do is like the forward pass in American football. There are three possible outcomes, and two of them are bad.

1. Player tries content and likes or is OK with it. Perhaps he repeats the content, perhaps not.
  2. Player decides not to do the content and decides if he is not going to achieve a goal unless he relents, there’s little point to playing at all.
  3. Player either does the content once to get X, or he doesn’t. Either way, he keeps playing the game. He then resents ANet for placing X behind something he finds unpleasant. This resentment surfaces every time he thinks about spending more money.

Now, if Anet could design content with very broad appeal, that would be like having a quarterback who completes a high percentage of his passes. The percent missed is not so bad. However, I also question whether ANet has that kind of success rate with its player-base.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Yep, it’s a bad design. Thankfully I found out about it during the first few masteries so before I went doing story steps in HoT, I made sure I have enough space in my XP bar so the large chunk of exp from the story is not lost. The same goes for XP from doing fractals.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Now I get it. Thank you.

Well, idk. There’s always just playing the new maps because you’re enjoying them and if you pick up any Masteries, you do and if you don’t, you don’t.

I’m still playing in the old maps even though I’ve gotten all the old Tyrian Masteries I’m likely to get, which means not all my Tyrian Masteries are finished. Yet that doesn’t stop me from playing on those maps. In addition, sooner or later if someone does get all the Masteries and finish all the lines there won’t be any more to do for Masteries. Does that mean they’ll stop playing the game because there’s nothing fun left to do until the game adds more Mastery lines and points?

This game is more than just picking up Masteries and filling up the bar to start on another line. If that’s all you liked about it, then I can see stopping but otherwise getting Masteries and filling the bar has little impact on enjoying the new area once you get the basic Masteries filled.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Mortifer.2946

Exactly….and the most important masteries are just nunoch wallows, updraft gliding, jumping mushrooms and exalted language. If you can’t get more mastery points, well….don’t give up and try to get better. Silver on adventures can be done by anyone.

The fact that putting masteries behind mini games is a total nonsense is a completely different matter.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Silver on adventures can be done by anyone.

By anyone with a decent ping. My understanding is that some people that regularly run with high ping have a bit of an issue with this.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Mortifer.2946

Well, but that is the problem with a whole service. Players playing outside of Europe and USA don’t have their own server, which is a problem.

If the designer have to take ping into account, they can’t design much. High ping means you can’t play PvP, raids, high level fractals, and WvW. So what do these people with ping issues expect? …they should keep asking for oceanic server, not easier difficulty

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Mort, I live in the US, and from time to time, even I have ping issues (kitten you ATT!). My options are….suck it up, or buy a different home. Sorry, moving isn’t an option for me for an myriad of reasons we won’t get in to here.

The point is that there needs to be more options for gaining enough mastery points that aren’t entirely ping dependent. Developers can take that into consideration. Its not like they don’t realize ping is a potential issue which players really have very little control over. Its part of the reason they made the changes to gliding, that they did (and I thank them so very much for that).

Mortifer.2946

I agree with that completely. In my opinion, every HoT story achievement should give one point. That would make adventures completely optional. Not to mention the fact that 1 point for the whole act of achievements is laughable and sad.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Yup, I could work with that. Options are always a good thing.

Posted by: Arlee.7038

Arlee.7038

Now I get it. Thank you.

Have you found all the mastery points in all the maps? Aside from the ones marked on the maps themselves there are also various strongboxes to be found all over the maps which give mastery points for finding them. You can find a listing of these in each map’s achievement panel. If you don’t want to find them naturally through exploration you can look them up on the wiki to find out where to go. You get a bunch for doing the various chapters of the HoT Storyline as well.

You can also get Mastery points for doing various achievements in the maps, like doing every Rally point event chain in Verdant Brink.

Shrimpkin.4851

Now I get it. Thank you.

Well, idk. There’s always just playing the new maps because you’re enjoying them and if you pick up any Masteries, you do and if you don’t, you don’t.

I’m still playing in the old maps even though I’ve gotten all the old Tyrian Masteries I’m likely to get, which means not all my Tyrian Masteries are finished. Yet that doesn’t stop me from playing on those maps. In addition, sooner or later if someone does get all the Masteries and finish all the lines there won’t be any more to do for Masteries. Does that mean they’ll stop playing the game because there’s nothing fun left to do until the game adds more Mastery lines and points?

This game is more than just picking up Masteries and filling up the bar to start on another line. If that’s all you liked about it, then I can see stopping but otherwise getting Masteries and filling the bar has little impact on enjoying the new area once you get the basic Masteries filled.

There are many aspects of the game I enjoy. I only pve though, I’ve tried pvp, wvw, fractals and dungeons and they were ok but not really that enjoyable for me. I like exploring and and just going around doing things.

I’m not interested in legendary weapons, ascended armor or some of the other things that people really want. I just play to have fun and I do like the achievements because it gives me a sense of accomplishment and pride when I can finish something. Even when it’s something I didn’t think I would be able to do.

I will still play the new maps but in the back of my mind will be the thought that the exp I’m getting will be going towards…nothing.

Shrimpkin.4851

Now I get it. Thank you.

Have you found all the mastery points in all the maps? Aside from the ones marked on the maps themselves there are also various strongboxes to be found all over the maps which give mastery points for finding them. You can find a listing of these in each map’s achievement panel. If you don’t want to find them naturally through exploration you can look them up on the wiki to find out where to go. You get a bunch for doing the various chapters of the HoT Storyline as well.

You can also get Mastery points for doing various achievements in the maps, like doing every Rally point event chain in Verdant Brink.

I have map completion on all 4 of the new maps. All the masteries too I believe. I think there may be two I could still get in VB that aren’t adventures. I was considering going back to the LS to see what else I can get there, but when checking it shows an average of 7-8 achievements that need to be completed to earn 1 mastery point. And I’m pretty sure even then I would be short.

I don’t mind doing the work to get them, but I’m also aware of my limitations. I’m always willing to try (I finally completed the mushroom jump puzzle in TD after 2 hours WOOT), some things though are just beyond my ability. So I will wait until more ways are added and just do other things.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Now I get it. Thank you.

There are many aspects of the game I enjoy. I only pve though, I’ve tried pvp, wvw, fractals and dungeons and they were ok but not really that enjoyable for me. I like exploring and and just going around doing things.

I’m not interested in legendary weapons, ascended armor or some of the other things that people really want. I just play to have fun and I do like the achievements because it gives me a sense of accomplishment and pride when I can finish something. Even when it’s something I didn’t think I would be able to do.

I will still play the new maps but in the back of my mind will be the thought that the exp I’m getting will be going towards…nothing.

Yah, well, I play the old maps and since I ran out of all the mastery points I’m likely to get all the XP is going towards….nothing. All the people who have maxed out Masteries, all their XP is going towards….nothing. Your situation is not unique to you and it’s probably a lot more common than you realize.

ANet may give it to you.

Shrimpkin.4851

Now I get it. Thank you.

Yah, well, I play the old maps and since I ran out of all the mastery points I’m likely to get all the XP is going towards….nothing. All the people who have maxed out Masteries, all their XP is going towards….nothing. Your situation is not unique to you and it’s probably a lot more common than you realize.

I’m sure there are many people in the same boat and really it’s not that important, I know this. It’s hard to rationalize how that can irk me yet there are other aspects of the game I know I’ll never complete and they don’t bother me. My brain is weird, I admit it. Eventually it won’t matter to me.

Arlee.7038

Now I get it. Thank you.

I have map completion on all 4 of the new maps. All the masteries too I believe. I think there may be two I could still get in VB that aren’t adventures. I was considering going back to the LS to see what else I can get there, but when checking it shows an average of 7-8 achievements that need to be completed to earn 1 mastery point. And I’m pretty sure even then I would be short.

I don’t mind doing the work to get them, but I’m also aware of my limitations. I’m always willing to try (I finally completed the mushroom jump puzzle in TD after 2 hours WOOT), some things though are just beyond my ability. So I will wait until more ways are added and just do other things.

I’d definitely say take a look in the achievements tab to see what’s marked with the Mastery icon because the strongboxes can be super easy to miss. I didn’t even realize they existed until I was doing my second map completion >< Of course if you’ve been scouring through the achievements tab for the zones you’ll probably be set there already.

Yea if you’ve played the story all the way through once you’re left with having to do the story achievements, which can be difficult on their own.

I definitely understand the frustrations with Adventures though. The skill needed for them varies widely though and some aren’t skill so much as memorization.

Shrimpkin.4851

Now I get it. Thank you.

I’d definitely say take a look in the achievements tab to see what’s marked with the Mastery icon because the strongboxes can be super easy to miss. I didn’t even realize they existed until I was doing my second map completion >< Of course if you’ve been scouring through the achievements tab for the zones you’ll probably be set there already.

Yea if you’ve played the story all the way through once you’re left with having to do the story achievements, which can be difficult on their own.

I definitely understand the frustrations with Adventures though. The skill needed for them varies widely though and some aren’t skill so much as memorization.

I have all the strongboxes and some of the hidden achievements. I looked up guides online to get them because those are one of the things I enjoy. The ones in VB I can still get are Ground Pounder and Bronzer (possibly).

With the adventures it’s more frustration with myself. Not that I expect to get silver or gold on a first try, (I spent an hour on Ley-Line run to get silver). I just don’t have the speed or dexterity needed for some of them, and that’s ok. There’s plenty more for me to do.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

You should take a look at https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/Guide-Adventures-Silver-Gold-and-beyond if you haven’t already. It has useful advice on the various adventures.

Arlee.7038

With the adventures it’s more frustration with myself. Not that I expect to get silver or gold on a first try, (I spent an hour on Ley-Line run to get silver). I just don’t have the speed or dexterity needed for some of them, and that’s ok. There’s plenty more for me to do.

Ah I gottcha There are quite a few giving me problems too. Getting silver on Haywire Punch-O-Matic was particularly rough because it made me motion sick ><

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I’ve also been caught out on this when I started out. In fact, I was hit with it again recently when trying to finish my last bit of masteries in central tyria. I had the second to last tier of something full of xp but not the points to unlock it. And there were no other masteries to put the xp into. So a lot of xp went to waste until I got the points and only then did the last tier start to fill with xp.

Now, seriously. Would it have been so awful if the last tier had continued to fill with xp while I worked on the points for the second to last tier? I wouldn’t have been able to use the second to last tier until it was unlocked anyway. I’d still be doing the “depth” and “breadth” of content. It seems like the only reason for this design is to slow a player down and make the game seem like it’s lasting longer.

Then again, maybe it’s just another oversight like the fact that xp goes to waste when all masteries are done. Maybe…

Posted by: Sird.4536

Sird.4536

I am pretty sure it gets carried over, there have been times when I forgot to spend points because I was busy doing events and when I remembered and spent them and moved to the next line I had some bars already filled.

RP enthusiast

Posted by: zxstanyxz.8769

zxstanyxz.8769

I am pretty sure it gets carried over, there have been times when I forgot to spend points because I was busy doing events and when I remembered and spent them and moved to the next line I had some bars already filled.

it used to when HoT launched, but was changed not overly long afterwards (whether it was a bug or design change i don’t know)

Posted by: Rush is Right.9723

Rush is Right.9723

Honestly, this is a huge issue as I am demotivated to do any events or hearts because I am not getting any credit for XP. I still have five characters to level but I am very slow on mastery earning so as I am leveling I am just skipping all events which is not fun at all just running from waypoint to POI and repeat. We should get something for our time and it should not punish us for leveling many alts, which it is doing currently. Even if it was a small boost to MF or some karma, that would be okay. I don’t really mind the grind as long as I get some sort of credit for it. Please fix this soon!!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Honestly, this is a huge issue as I am demotivated to do any events or hearts because I am not getting any credit for XP. I still have five characters to level but I am very slow on mastery earning so as I am leveling I am just skipping all events which is not fun at all just running from waypoint to POI and repeat. We should get something for our time and it should not punish us for leveling many alts, which it is doing currently. Even if it was a small boost to MF or some karma, that would be okay. I don’t really mind the grind as long as I get some sort of credit for it. Please fix this soon!!

If you are leveling a character, the XP would not be going towards Mastery Lines, anyway; the XP goes toward, well, leveling. Thus, no need to skip events or Hearts.