You can have your cake and eat it too!

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Lilium.4270

Lilium.4270

Hi!

I have been seeing quite a few threads being worried for and complaining about the amount of hero points needed to unlock their elite specializations. Its going to recquire 400 hero points to unlock each elite specialization respectively so even if you have a couple of characters with full map completion you wont be able to unlock everything on day one(unless you pvp where everything will be available from the very beginning).

The point is, this is actually a good thing! For those of us who have full map completion we can have half the cake on day one and then slowly savour the other half as we play the game.

This was a deliberate choice by the developers and i applaud them for not giving me all my christmas presents to just tear open all at once! Trust me when I say this, for the majority of players this is going to create some sense of accomplishment and joy as you get to unlock new skills, traits, weapons, skins, runes and sigils.

so, lets take a scenario(which most likely will never happen). you get a free legendary of your choice dropped into your mailbox by the developers. How long do you expect you will feel that sense of accomplishment if you get everything handed to you on a silver platter? All of three seconds or less i reckon.

Anyway, thank you for giving me half my cake and letting me savour the other half at my own pace. Im very much looking forward to unlocking my reaper specialization along with the rest of them in due time.

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

The grind for hero points isn’t the cake. The cake is what you get after you have spent 400 hero points. For WvW, that could take weeks of endless grinding.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

While I would rather have played through the jungle content with my elite specs fully online, I’m at least glad that I have my 100% map completions on 8 of my 9 characters, so it will help a little.

Posted by: Dynasty.5127

Dynasty.5127

Maybe they will give us a 100% boost for WvW that stacks with other boosters for a set number of days. I don’t know if it will happen but that would be a great help and probably ease some of the anger.

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

well why would i buy a cake to not eat it? of course i can eat it if i want to.

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

)
. Its going to recquire 400 hero points to unlock each elite specialization respectively so even if you have a couple of characters with full map completion you wont be able to unlock everything on day one(unless you pvp where everything will be available from the very beginning).

Many that have done map completion are already 1/2 way done to 400 HP’s so they just have to do like 20 new HP’s in the h.o.t maps while each one is worth 10 points each. No doubt it will require gliding and jumping mushrooms masteries to get to some of or most of them. Unlocking the first lvl of each isn’t all that hard so I bet there will be many will have them fully unlocked day one.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Cake is so much more awesome when you eat it without icing/milk/icecream first and when you’’re done they give you a tall glass of milk with a can of icing and melted icecream.
Totally awesome.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Yeah, it’s madness to open all your Christmas presents on Christmas, when you can instead savor the gift-wrapped boxes all the way through July. Why open them at all?

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

the annoying thing will be to do this with almost every of my 20 max lvl chars

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

Those of us who bought this for herald are bummed out…..I’m 0% of the way towards herald even with 80 tomes.

Posted by: Duke of Thorin.7425

Duke of Thorin.7425

Yeah, it’s madness to open all your Christmas presents on Christmas, when you can instead savor the gift-wrapped boxes all the way through July. Why open them at all?

Oh god, yes, I love it.

Okay, that aside, 400 points is an issue. It’s not that it isn’t a game mechanic built around instant gratification, I don’t support that, the problem lies in having to commit an exorbitant amount of time and energy into a choice with a very hit or miss result. Players are going to have to expend a significant amount of HPs just to see what an elite specialization will initially be like, let alone spend a boatload of HPs to test the final product. This is not an okay progression model; in the end it’s gonna lead to alot of playerbase frustration due to buyer’s remorse. If we scale down the cost to something reasonable, say 150 HPs, then players will still have to spend some time to get an initial first look to see if a specialization is what they’re looking for, while also not being heinously punished if they decide it’s not for them.

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

Unless Elite specs are barred from WvW temporarily then it isn’t going be pretty when the only people with unlocked Elite specs for the first week(s) are PvEers.

The Desert BL hasn’t been tested enough, let alone the Elite specs in WvW.

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

Posted by: abc.5790

abc.5790

While I would rather have played through the jungle content with my elite specs fully online, I’m at least glad that I have my 100% map completions on 8 of my 9 characters, so it will help a little.

kitten. How is it possible to go thru all that boring stuff 8 times? I admire you much

[Star] In My Prono
EU Scrub

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

i’m sorta with the OP on this.

while it’s bad for revenant….it’s really not that big a deal for the other classes. not that its actual proof (things can change)…but i read in one of those threads that it was datamined that roughly half of those 400 HP are spent on cosmetic skins/ items related to the elite spec.

so you only need about 200-ish to have a fully functional elite spec. most will have a few fully functional elites on day one.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

the annoying thing will be to do this with almost every of my 20 max lvl chars

you’re the one who chose to have 20 characters, and you don’t HAVE to get elite specs for all. for me, I have 1 dedicated char, and 5 chars I rotate on/off, and don’t worry too much about, my main will definitely be a focus for elite specs, and I probably won’t worry too much if I can’t get elite specs for the other 5.