You can never win this, Anet

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Larynx.2453

Larynx.2453

You’re giving Veteran players a free character slot? Nice!

Except for the people who bought the deluxe edition for the character slot. Now they’ll pointlessly complain. And thus the cycle begins anew, with people trying to milk undeserved concessions out of the company.

Posted by: Shiro Tegachii.5619

Shiro Tegachii.5619

whinner
/chars

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

you get a free character slot no matter what version you bought (deluxe and ultimate get extra charater slot on top of the one listed too), so I’m not seeing a problem.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Pre-Purchase-Community-Address/page/2#post5189475

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Larynx.2453

whinner
/chars

That’s the point.

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

it’s same thing, except now the veterans get to use the “entitlement” word in their debates. it’s natural, the cycle of life even.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

you get a free character slot no matter what version you bought (deluxe and ultimate get extra charater slot on top of the one listed too), so I’m not seeing a problem.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Pre-Purchase-Community-Address/page/2#post5189475

Some people bought the Deluxe edition because it had a character slot and not for the other goodies. And they do not have a need for another character slot. Those people are upset.

That is one reason why I was waiting to see what ANet did.

Posted by: Talon Silverhawk.3574

Talon Silverhawk.3574

Problem is they bought the deluxe\ultimate based on the extra slot, which they could have had for nothing. this completely changes the pricing dynamic and the choice you “might” have made. As such its a fair question.

So the question is very fair, even more so as they spent money.

Ricky.4706

yes, but you supported anet, and that’s really nice!

I’ve loved anet for a very long time, I knew they weren’t going to let me down. so I waited. It’s not the bmw sports coupe I tried for, but I’m not complaining, why should anyone else, yall got 2 slots…I just got 1.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

You can please some people all of the time.
You can please some people some of the time.
You can’t please all of the people all of the time.
You can’t please some people no matter what.

It’s not about winning, it’s about percentages. If they pleased a lot more people than they pleased last week, they should be content.

Posted by: DirtyDan.4759

DirtyDan.4759

They would have pleased everyone if they had added a free char slot for vets when they announced the free core game included in the addon.
Also: They should have seen it coming.
With GW1 we experienced two times the introduction of new classes.
What came along? Right. 1 free char slot.

This whole drama could have been avoided.

Ricky.4706

there is no drama, it was wonderful to see the passion of prepurchasers, it makes me feel anet is very loved. That means a lot to me and they don’t get only 1 …but 2 slots ….if they are vets that is.

it would be silly to get angry at such a beautiful gesture. The vets were once devoted noobs too. <3

Posted by: Chobiko.9182

Chobiko.9182

Listen, No. You don’t. Nobody in their right mind bought the $75 or $100 “only” to get the charslot. It’s just, no. It doesn’t add up. A char slot is $10. That’s $60 for HoT + char slot. The deluxe was $75. It means you paid $25 only to get that char slot? I don’t believe that. You bought it for the glider, the statue, and the mini (and the gems) else you could have simply bought the char slot in game.

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

If someone bought the Deluxe or Ultimate editions ‘just’ for the character slot, they they spent more than they needed to regardless of the recent change. They could have saved $15 (or $35) by purchasing the standard edition and then buying a character slot from the gem store.Surely if they spent more, then they must have also wanted the other stuff too?

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

Larynx.2453

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

What if one of the as-of-yet unrevealed features turned out to be a character slot? That would’ve been the same thing.

This is what happens when you pay for something without knowing what exactly your paying for. Pre-purchasing brings with it this risk.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Except for the people who bought the deluxe edition for the character slot. Now they’ll pointlessly complain. And thus the cycle begins anew, with people trying to milk undeserved concessions out of the company.

Those people get 2 character slots.

I think Anet did a very, very god job, especially how they handle people that did buy the game for the last half year. What they now offer is exactly what I did see as only real good way to do it, but I did also think it would be impossible for them to do that because it could have huge implications for Q1’s numbers.

The only ‘problem’ they have left is that some people dimply find $50,- to expensive and Anet will have to proof to them that somehow GW2’s expansion is worth a price that is above what the market does.

If GW2 had behaved like a B2P game it clearly would have been a good reason for that, however for the last 2,5 years it has mainly be run as a cash-shop game. Maybe they plan on being more true to B2P in the future but then they should announce that, that should also justify the $50,-

Anyway, I think Anet handled it almost perfectly so huge thumbs up for them!

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Deluxe and Ultimate editions get 2 character slots, not just one. This has win-win written all over it.

Add this to the fact that you can buy the pre-purchase the day before HoT’s official release to get this promotion (at which point we’ll know everything about the expansion), and that means we are really getting a lot out of this.

Ricky.4706

was he the one that started the veteran entitlement thread ?

which btw, this is why i suggested a slots worth of gems …..but after all the abuse the vets took with the entitlement argument, this is a wonderful bonus. Thank you anet <3

(edited by Ricky.4706)

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

I bought the deluxe for the character slot.

It’s not pointlessly complaining, A-net showed us 3 versions of the game, I weighed each version and decided I would be willing to buy the more expensive version because it had a few silly bonuses and a CHARACTER slot. I needed the character slot, I figured I might as well get the other stuff while it was available.

Now I don’t need the character slot, I needed 1 for not, I would not have purchased a seconded extra one. My suggestion is just turn the slot into it’s current gem value on the pre orders.

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

It’s not pointlessly complaining, A-net showed us 3 versions of the game, I weighed each version and decided I would be willing to buy the more expensive version because it had a few silly bonuses and a CHARACTER slot. I needed the character slot, I figured I might as well get the other stuff while it was available.

Now I don’t need the character slot, I needed 1 for not, I would not have purchased a seconded extra one. My suggestion is just turn the slot into it’s current gem value on the pre orders.

Talk to customer service. I’m sure they’d be willing to downgrade your package and refund the difference… but here’s betting you won’t.

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

Ricky.4706

those bonuses are NOT sillly!! they are beautiful!

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

As far as I know they have a policy to refund within a given time and I think even if you did buy it the moment it became available, that time has not passed yet, so if you really want you should be able to get a refund I think.

Posted by: Emtiarbi.3281

Emtiarbi.3281

They can get a refund and buy the normal version later, i don’t see any problem :/

Anredhal Amethyst – Lain Amethyst – Orss Jerre

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

I guess someone needs to give you a crusade.

Posted by: Treetoptrickster.4205

Treetoptrickster.4205

I pre purchased the ultimate version, thus I received a character slot. I’m not mad at all about this. A free character slot is a free character slot. Why would people complain about getting even more free stuff? I do agree that some people may feel a bit upset that they bought the deluxe version just because it added a character slot, and wouldn’t have bought it otherwise, and so are feeling a bit milked. But still. It’s kinda hard to get angry about this, “GOD kitten IT ANET, STOP COMPENSATING US AND LISTENING TO OUR PLEAS!” A net can’t really do too much better. They made a mistake and this is how they’re resolving it. I think we can forgive Anet for any side blunders that stemmed off of their sincere attempt to make us happy again.

Posted by: Cambeleg.7632

Cambeleg.7632

Wrong. Read the text again, Larynx. Every player will recieve a character slot, no matters what Pack you purchase.

Its really just that simple.

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

A-net had me at ‘character slot’.

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

Ricky.4706

ahhh sweet, so it’s fixed then people who prepurchased with 1 slot, get only 1 slot.
and established players also get one slot with the basic purchase. New players get 5-6 slots with the basic purchase.

obviously if the other purchaser wanted a slot, they would have gotten the basic and purchased it separately because it’s the more affordable way. Their intent was on the extra goodies too! nothing wrong with that!

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

anyone who bought the deluxe edition for an extra 25 dollars for a 10 dollar character slot that you could get for free in game deserves …. lol

Posted by: Brother Dulfite.5793

Brother Dulfite.5793

Sheesh, jump to conclusions do ya? (Officespace reference +1 for Dulfite). It’s 1 free for all and 2 free for those that get the expensive ones.

Posted by: AzureSky.3175

AzureSky.3175

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Bought-Ultimate-bc-Standard-had-no-char-slot

Some of you guys should really read this. It’s easily explained that it did make sense to buy the Ultimate Edition, even if all you needed was a character slot. I don’t know about dollar prices for gems, but if you wanted to buy HoT + a character slot + 4000 gems seperately in €-region, it’d cost you 105€. The Ultimate version was only 100€ and you even got all these bonus items on top. So the Ultimate Edition was the best deal of them all, even if you were only after the character slot. This has completely changed now since they announced that the 45€ version now includes a character slot, because a lot of people really don’t need two character slots (at least I don’t, 9 slots for 9 professions, each additional one is useless to me).

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

The previous problem was there wasn’t ANY compensation for having the game already. Now you WILL have an extra char slot, no matter wich edition of the pre-purchase you get. There’s the 10 bucks people were “complaining” about, so there dies the right to keep complainig.

Misleading communication —> Anet didn’t exactly apologize, but they do recognized the error, and offered a viable solution for the people that bought the core game in the fatal time window. Now that bussines talk have been cleared, we can continue with transparency.

Veteran appreciation —> They do include a useful and meanignful item to repair the perceived (and real) unfairness of treatment between vets and noobs, with an added thank you.

Value vs Content —> They are effectively pricing the Xpac at 40 bucks now (xpac + slot = 50). I think its their right to put whatever price they believe appropiate for the xpac, as is our right to buy it or not. Each of us will have to judge now.

Non disclosed info —> As with any pre-purchase or pre-order for any product, you’ll have to hope and be patient. Or not. But if not, it’s not Anet problem anymore.

Trust —> I think they could have easily just let the things cool down and then keep the “strictly corporative”, abusive and shady attitude forever. While they were slow, in the end they did the right thing.

So, personally, I’m stoping my complains and putting my trust on them again. Never as carefree as before, but still.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

I love that you are getting attacked for this, even though the only thing you did was point out that people were going to get upset (and they did pretty much immediately), not that you actually held this opinion.

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

naw they won a lot of people who put off pre purchasing bought with the news most who did prepurchasing arent as mad as they were just hoping they get compensation a different way. i was going to buy ultimate tonight no matter what and i really dont need two extra slots ill take what i get but i think gems worth the slot price would have been nice but ill use the extra slot and be happy with i got .