YouTube journalists need to cover this

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

But Blizzard increased the price, but it was fair cause everyone is on the same point. You still need the base game to play WoDraenor :p

Sure the base game price diminishes over time, but it doesn’t suddenly become 0. And the day it becomes 0, aka anyone can start playing the base game for free, people that bought this package earlier would also throw a fit if some exclusive goodies weren’t directed at them.

I have yet to see a MMO go from B2P to F2P without existing customer gaining something in return. Usually a special status.

I have yet to see a MMO or similar game (Diablo III for ex) add a new class without increasing the player max char slot.

For all those things ANet didn’t follow, players feel like ANet is greedy with them, thus outrage happens.

Also, I disagree about that base price. There’s plenty of small games that survive on donations in the first place. Donations for free games is like asking players if they want to pay $0 or $10 for the game and they answer $10 cause they feel it’s worth it. It happens.

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

the concept of ‘youtube journalists’ makes me feel terribly, terribly old.

Posted by: Blackworm.2167

Blackworm.2167

Well it is worthless as of right now, the emotional value is completely separate form the monetary value which is in fact 0$. (because you can’t profit off of the account, if something holds no profit then the monetary value is 0$)

Don’t really see how you could misunderstand the argument when you pretty much just explained mine right there.
Something I paid $50 (as everyone else should have to, as per the FAQ) for, with $50 worth of content, has been devalued to $0.
And as you said, the emotional value is separate from the monetary value.
I would like a monetary return.

GW1 – Dervish / Warrior –
GW2 – Borlis Pass – Revenant & Warrior –
Steam Profile

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Something I paid $50 (as everyone else should have to, as per the FAQ) for, with $50 worth of content, has been devalued to $0.

The base game been devalued to $20 starting almost 2 years ago and to $10 for the last 5 months.

“Free” (with your $50 purchase!!) is the magic moment were rage takes over?

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

For me its not even about the "Free " base game,

Its the sneaky, slimy way they went it and changed to FAQ without bringing it to anyone’s attention.

You can not say it was merely and “Edit” as that edit has consequences and would have undoubtedly effected peoples decisions on whether to purchase the standard game on its own or not.

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

The base game been devalued to $20 starting almost 2 years ago and to $10 for the last 5 months.

It is not free, you have to spend money to get it, just because you are being told that that part of the package is free doesn’t make it true. As long as it is attached to anything that causes a person to spend money it is not free.

Being listed in a shop as a free download then charging $50 for the xpac without it attached to it would make it free, but its not, because it is rolled into the cost otherwise it would simply be a free download separated from the bundle.

Are people really this naive ?

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

It is not free, you have to spend money to get it, just because you are being told that that part of the package is free doesn’t make it true. As long as it is attached to anything that causes a person to spend money it is not free.

Being listed in a shop as a free download then charging $50 for the xpac without it attached to it would make it free, but its not, because it is rolled into the cost otherwise it would simply be a free download separated from the bundle.

Apparently putting “(with $50 purchase)” wasn’t sufficiently obvious mockery of ArenaNet and everyone else calling it “free”. So no, I’m not naive, I’m sarcastic. Obviously its NOT free. On a good day its a 16% discount. Which is why people flipping out that new players get a $10 value for lining up to get fleeced/join us in game and the degree of frothing outrage OVER $10 DOLLARS is just ridiculous. I’ve left bigger tips at a pizza parlor. It’s just NOT THAT SIGNIFICANT.

The “I bought it in the last 5 months” crowd I have sympathy for. The shrieking over not getting a $10 pat on the head for being a loyal consumer of their product is like listening to kids throw a tantrum because maybe mommy and daddy DON’T love all their kids equally.

Should they have thrown existing players a bone? Yes. Obviously. Was that bone ever going to be a free character slot? Just as obviously no it wasn’t. The character slot is the lynchpin of the $75 bundle and people don’t need two of them. There is not a single person playing this game that hasn’t either ignored a class (or 3), bought character slots, or wiped a character to free up a slot. Every Single Player has done one of those things. The time to rage about less slots than classes was three years ago.

So now we wait. Because someone at ArenaNet WILL have to come out and give the “I’m not apologizing but we are sorry” speech once they’ve figured out how to give a roughly $10 pat on the head to veterans without sinking the $75 dollar bundle.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

they don’t communicate. they tell us things they don’t speak to us there is a massive difference between talking at someone and talking to them. any company can make an announcement, but what we need from Anet – now more than ever – is a conversation. speaking, reasoning, explaining. that’s how we overcome misunderstandings and reach compromises.

If they asked the community if they’d rather pay 1 dollar for the expansion or 20 dollars, what would the community say? This proposition is simply idiotic. Everyone is going to want to pay less. Always.

Blizzard didn’t host some vote about whether or not they could increase the price of Warlords of Draenor compared to their other expansions from $40.00 to $50.00. Square Enix didn’t seek the approval of their community for their price tag of Heavensward. They named their price. If you want to play, you have to pay; and they set the rules. Not you.

Where was the community outrage for those games? Where were the headlines? Oh right. It didn’t matter. Their communities were happy to see the next chapter of their game inching closer though! It’s an expansion, and everyone expects to pay money for it. For some reason though, paying money for an expansion is a new source of outrage for the GW2 trolls to latch on to!

“They should have asked us if we wanted to pay money for the expansion.” Why ask? Everyone knows the answer: People want everything for free. Next question?

I don’t mean they should discuss every little detail – especially about product pricing. I more meant since the announcement. the forums have been blowing up, and the silence from Anet has not helped.

Posted by: Chista.4750

Chista.4750

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

That’s the thing about ‘feelings’ not particularly rational.

Posted by: Hammersmash Ureface.2650

Hammersmash Ureface.2650

That’s coverage, but it bears all the hallmarks of pay for comments…

Since GW1 – [MLM] – Meeting of the Lost Minds

Posted by: drkmgic.9583

drkmgic.9583

The more this debate goes on without any feedback from a net the slimier I feel about supporting them.

Chista.4750

That’s coverage, but it bears all the hallmarks of pay for comments…

A nuanced view doesn’t necessarily mean it’s paid for. The author is just giving their view of it.

Posted by: Jitsuryoku.9038

Jitsuryoku.9038

Look i’m unhappy with the price but I don’t think we need to take up pitchforks on the internet. Quite frankly if I saw another game do this and there was some news about it I would not care in the slightest.

Is there a part about false advertisment u guys are not getting?
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/False+Advertising

Actually, that was not false advertising. You DO need GW2 to play HoT as HoT is not a standalone game. And by making the GW2 a “free bonus” they are in fact twisting the facts for the sales to be legally correct.

Let me explain.

If they said you need GW2 core game to play HoT and then released HoT as a standalone – that would be false advertisement, because that would be a lie/disinformation driving sales of GW2.

What they did is sell the expansion and add the core game as a “free bonus”. The fact you need GW2 core game for HoT remains true, so they did not lie. Them putting the core game into HoT can be viewed as “generosity”, which in legal terms makes it fine.
To put it bluntly it’s a malicious but legal marketing strategy: they didn’t lie, but by not announcing the “free” core game addition(it is their right) they screwed a lot of people over.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

False advertising doesn’t need a lie. It just needs to be misleading.

Since some people were mislead into buying the core GW2 instead of getting the HoT deal, it is false advertising.

Posted by: Tere.4759

Tere.4759

Fraud is always news. The ICC is so specific to GW2 I wouldnt be able to explain it to someone that doesn’t play. Bait and switch is a timeless maneuver though. Anet went oldschool.

Really? “ANet sold unlimited access to repeated content, and then never (for over a year and a half and counting at least) repeated that content.”

It’s not difficult, and IMO is far more newsworthy than the current debacle. Much of a rip off as the packages are, at least customers know what they’re getting (unless they turn the Revenant class off altogether for a couple of years).

Really ? Please enlighten the rest of us as to what we are actually getting because that seems to be a pretty big question at this point in time.

You’re not getting anything if you don’t buy it, so don’t buy it. It’s as simple as that. If I don’t like something, I don’t buy it. That’s the mature way to deal with things not moaning and complaining about it when nothing is going to change.

Honestly, if Anet caves and adds a character slot to the 50.00 pack and doesn’t add anything extra to the other packs, those who bought the other packs will be kittened. I paid my 108+ for the ultimate because there was no character slot in the 50.00 pack.

Guild Leader of The Black Court, we’re small, friendly and active.

Posted by: Jitsuryoku.9038

Jitsuryoku.9038

False advertising doesn’t need a lie. It just needs to be misleading.

Since some people were mislead into buying the core GW2 instead of getting the HoT deal, it is false advertising.

Again it’s not false advertisement, because they don’t sell GW2 core game is not a part of HoT, but a bonus in HoT package, it’s the same result to players, but legally it does make a difference. You can sue them if you think I’m wrong, but you’ll hear the same thing from a lawyer.

(edited by Jitsuryoku.9038)

Chista.4750

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

The thing is, the people that are going to cover it (people like Aurora and Bogotter) are so biased in their opinions that they’re going to defend Anet to the end, why? Because they’re given special treatment, they’re always being flown out to places and given special treatment at gatherings, when they’re just players, just like us.

WoodenPotatoes covered it brilliantly in his newest video, the value for money is just NOT there at the moment, we don’t know what we’re paying for, we don’t know when the games being released, we don’t know how many beta’s will be inbetween now and release to warrant that being included in a prepurchase.

We have no idea on what the challenging content is, we have no idea how big the actual map is, we have no idea if we’re getting new dungeons and we also have no idea on how large the expansion itself actually is. What we do know is that Anets philosophy for this expansion is that it is “feature rich” not content rich, meaning that content wise, we’re really not going to get a lot.. so before i prepurchase, i want to know EVERYTHING that’s going to be included in the game.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

(edited by JoshuaRAWR.4653)

Random.4691

Apparently putting “(with $50 purchase)” wasn’t sufficiently obvious mockery of ArenaNet and everyone else calling it “free”. So no, I’m not naive, I’m sarcastic. Obviously its NOT free. On a good day its a 16% discount. Which is why people flipping out that new players get a $10 value for lining up to get fleeced/join us in game and the degree of frothing outrage OVER $10 DOLLARS is just ridiculous. I’ve left bigger tips at a pizza parlor. It’s just NOT THAT SIGNIFICANT.

The “I bought it in the last 5 months” crowd I have sympathy for. The shrieking over not getting a $10 pat on the head for being a loyal consumer of their product is like listening to kids throw a tantrum because maybe mommy and daddy DON’T love all their kids equally.

Should they have thrown existing players a bone? Yes. Obviously. Was that bone ever going to be a free character slot? Just as obviously no it wasn’t. The character slot is the lynchpin of the $75 bundle and people don’t need two of them. There is not a single person playing this game that hasn’t either ignored a class (or 3), bought character slots, or wiped a character to free up a slot. Every Single Player has done one of those things. The time to rage about less slots than classes was three years ago.

So now we wait. Because someone at ArenaNet WILL have to come out and give the “I’m not apologizing but we are sorry” speech once they’ve figured out how to give a roughly $10 pat on the head to veterans without sinking the $75 dollar bundle.

Come off it man, sinking the $75 package … really ? That package will be the least sold of the three options, and if they didn’t want to be put in this position they should have acted like a mature, all grown up company.

They brought this on themselves with their shady business practices, their refusal to communicate, their complete lack of care for the people who made this xpac possible. It was us, the vets that ARE paying for this xpac to be made.

If you want to take the stance that it’s all the player fault, that’s your prerogative but open your eyes and see beyond the tip of your nose. Even you have agreed that yes, all this should have happened.

When people like you roll over constantly, this is the exact reason large companies do whatever the hell they want, everyone just bends over and takes its.

Whether it is $10 or $1,000,000 doesn’t matter, they have an obligation to their customers. They could at least be forth coming, heck even a kiss before getting screwed would have been nice. Just because you see $10 as no big deal doesn’t mean they can do whatever they please. We invested in this game, I want my investment.

(edited by Random.4691)

Random.4691

Fraud is always news. The ICC is so specific to GW2 I wouldnt be able to explain it to someone that doesn’t play. Bait and switch is a timeless maneuver though. Anet went oldschool.

Really? “ANet sold unlimited access to repeated content, and then never (for over a year and a half and counting at least) repeated that content.”

It’s not difficult, and IMO is far more newsworthy than the current debacle. Much of a rip off as the packages are, at least customers know what they’re getting (unless they turn the Revenant class off altogether for a couple of years).

Really ? Please enlighten the rest of us as to what we are actually getting because that seems to be a pretty big question at this point in time.

You’re not getting anything if you don’t buy it, so don’t buy it. It’s as simple as that. If I don’t like something, I don’t buy it. That’s the mature way to deal with things not moaning and complaining about it when nothing is going to change.

Honestly, if Anet caves and adds a character slot to the 50.00 pack and doesn’t add anything extra to the other packs, those who bought the other packs will be kittened. I paid my 108+ for the ultimate because there was no character slot in the 50.00 pack.

The mature thing to do is stand up for yourself, you’re right things aren’t going to change if people like you believe silence is the answer, look how well that’s working for Anet.

You think all the major points in history happened because people just sat silently ? While this may not be on the level of such historical events, the principle is the same.

Also don’t dodge the question, please enlighten us as to what we are getting with the expansion, in detail please.