[beta] How does mastery progression feel?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

Curious on peoples takes for 8/7/2015 HoT beta reguarding mastery progression. Slow, fast, just about right? Granted it seems certain events not functioning properly and what not, just wanted to get peoples take on it so far.

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

Seems about right. Played for several hours, got a few points put into it. It’s not something that should be quick to max out, since it’s our primary form of post-80 progression. It feels satisfying to progress, but not too quick.

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

The pacing now is fine, If Anet do change it. I want it to be slower and not faster. We need real progression that will last months.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

I think you have to ask the question of what mastery you were working on. Different mysteries have different exp requirements at different levels. For the most part I think they hit close to the sweet spot as long as they continually add more.

Glider master
381,000 for the first level.
635,000 for the second level

Itzel,Exalted,Nuhoch for the first tier

Legendary for the first tier

Fractal for the first tier

I think with some of these it may be too long if you are watching it. Perhaps it might be a good idea to treat it a little like the PvP reward track and have a big thing that we are working for but have a few little markers along the way that we may even get a reward at.

I am hesitant to say lengthen the time on some (Gliding is extremely useful in the new map. I think that should stay as it is.) However others might need to be lengthened as this is our progression after 80. If they frequently add more however they may be fine with how they are.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

(edited by anzenketh.3759)

Posted by: Saucermote.9140

Saucermote.9140

I think the intro level glider and bouncing mushroom skills maybe should be shortened a bit, unless they are going to make a lot more events available. The map is fairly miserable to move through without those two skills. After that, they can adjust as they see fit.

I missed the initial group/train of players when I went into the map. And ran around for over an hour and only saw one event. So the only experience I had toward my glider mastery was enemy experience, and that was taking forever.

Now that I’ve finally grinded out the glider and bouncing mushroom trait, the maps are much more fun to play around with.

Really, they should have just had an NPC teach you the basics of gliding, start you with the glider basics skill, and then work from there.

You don’t win friends with Salad.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’d like the first part of Glider and Itzel not to get any longer, as basic gliding and bouncy mushroom use are needful pretty early on in the first part of the first map. I don’t yet have a feel for the effort needed to advance the other lines. But keep in mind that you can only advance one at a time. Sure you can swap but I don’t see the point in that as it only means that much longer before you get to spend a point to unlock something cool. (I do see the point in having the function, because people need to be able to switch to something it turns out they’ll need sooner. What I’m objecting to is planning to hop around between them).

So the longer it takes for any one unlock, the longer it takes to get everything you want. All good for long term goals, so long as it’s not tuned to ridiculous levels like Radiant/Hellfire chestpieces or Yakslapper.

Posted by: Avascar.9237

Avascar.9237

Got through 2 tiers of Itzel Lore and first tier in gliding in about 2 and a half hours. I really think they should make it longer to level up, or at least add in more tiers because if this is really the entire mastery system for HoT it’s not going to take very long to get all of them.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

The speed to level is right it just need way more masteries to the game to make our choices the impact and not the grind being the impact.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Got through 2 tiers of Itzel Lore and first tier in gliding in about 2 and a half hours. I really think they should make it longer to level up, or at least add in more tiers because if this is really the entire mastery system for HoT it’s not going to take very long to get all of them.

How much XP did the 3rd tier take to complete?

If my guess is correct it would take about 1,081,451 XP to level the 3rd tier. Also if my guess is correct it would take about 50-60 “level 80 levels” to complete a single mastery. That means that it would take 200-300 “level 80 levels” to complete all the masteries that are currently available in the beta and we know that some are missing. Now obviously you are not going to be able to please everyone. However I think that is more then enough time to have completing all of them within reach of the average player but still keep it something to keep them occupied.

For anyone wondering my guess I think they are simply taking the previous tier and putting it to a power of approximately 1.0398

Based on my guess I think that the speed to level is right we just need more masteries added (I know we are missing some) to make our choices impact the game but yet at the same time obtaining them not be a grind.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

(edited by anzenketh.3759)

Posted by: Avascar.9237

Avascar.9237

How much XP did the 3rd tier take to complete?

If my guess is correct it would take about 1,081,451 XP to level the 3rd tier. Also if my guess is correct it would take about 50-60 “level 80 levels” to complete a single mastery. That means that it would take 200-300 “level 80 levels” to complete all the masteries that are currently available in the beta and we know that some are missing. Now obviously you are not going to be able to please everyone. However I think that is more then enough time to have completing all of them within reach of the average player but still keep it something to keep them occupied.

For anyone wondering my guess I think they are simply taking the previous tier and putting it to a power of approximately 1.0398

Based on my guess I think that the speed to level is right we just need more masteries added (I know we are missing some) to make our choices impact the game but yet at the same time obtaining them not be a grind.

3rd tier is actually 1,143,000 xp to complete. I suppose we do need more masteries, I’m just very concerned to complete all masteries in less than a month since I play GW2 practically daily.

Posted by: superherofan.8042

superherofan.8042

The AI is a little awkward. It’s a little unclear how you spend the points but then have to “charge” it with experience.

Posted by: Bunnypanda.5431

Bunnypanda.5431

I think the basics of gliding had a good amount of time taken to unlock it. When we have the entire map to explore it might take less time with all the things we will be able to do in the map and if we have a lot more buffs on our characters.

I too want the tracks to take a long time as it is our main goal as 80’s to spend our time getting these meaningful rewards. I love gliding and I only have the basics unlocked getting to unlock more of it is just going to keep adding to the fun. Gliding. Is. Awesome.

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

The AI is a little awkward. It’s a little unclear how you spend the points but then have to “charge” it with experience.

I don’t know what you mean by AI but how mastery work is you select the track you wanted to level up and when xp bar reaches max you can spend mastery points to unlock the mastery.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It feels good so far. It was too quick with the first beta. You got the gliding and the mushroom jumping almost immediately for that one This system requires doing events for a while till you get rewarded with gliding, which means it’s appreciated more when you get it.

I found the UI to be better also. More clear. The previous version was confusing whether or not the points had been spent or not as the points stayed on the corner even after being spent.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Enko.6123

Enko.6123

How are you even supposed to level up the precursor and fractal one? I’ve tried gaining xp in both verdant brink and the original maps and mine are stuck at 9% (precursor) and 52% (fractal).

Edit: Nvm. figured it out from some other posts. Only get credit to those two during the initial instance. Unfortunately you can’t even level up the fractal one.

(edited by Enko.6123)

Posted by: Blush Lift.3570

Blush Lift.3570

I quite like the pace of them, was a bit frustrating at first trying to get gliding but once I got use to the map and events it came in pretty fast.

Couple of hours to get my first point in gliding, which was hindered by exploring and getting use to the new elite spec’s. So overall it was quite reasonable.

Once the game is live I’m sure the majority of xp will come in quickly with a lot more events to complete. However I do hope it’s not too quick as I’ve had nothing to work on but PvP stuff since they announced HoT at the start of the year, so something like this in long breaks will give us something to do, with meaningful progress.

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

I understand that this content is incomplete right now. The speed is fine, though initially it can be a bit of a hassle trying to find events to do without your glider. It’s also a lot tedious now with half of VB events being bugged.

If it is expected of us to stay in one area and farm multiple masteries, I hope they add more unique events to do. Even without the bugged events, you’ll run into the same events over and over after a couple of hours.

Posted by: Blush Lift.3570

Blush Lift.3570

I do like the idea of longer progress the more we progress into the mastery as others have suggested but unsure if it will cater to the casual folk.

Posted by: Yojimaru.4980

Yojimaru.4980

It’s hard to really gauge if the mastery leveling system is in a good spot when just about every event chain in the map (that we can get to anyways) is bugged. By and large, events are the primary means of training your masteries quickly, so only being able to do a few every hour or so is agonizing.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

It seems slow, but I think that can mostly be attributed to the events being poorly designed and/or scaled. Some of the events take 20 minutes to do so getting the XP to lvl up just takes forever.

Posted by: Ice of Dragons.1637

Ice of Dragons.1637

It fells fine at the moment but i am not sure if its slow enough considering that its account wide. Would need to be tested for a bit more.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

It fells fine at the moment but i am not sure if its slow enough considering that its account wide. Would need to be tested for a bit more.

oh right, I forgot it was account-wide. That does change my opinion a bit.

Posted by: thewaterguy.4796

thewaterguy.4796

I can’t really say too much since it’s only a weekend and judging long-term progression is almost impossible, but right now, it feels alright-ish, I do hope that the later Masteries (the super high tier ones) take much longer than the earlier ones though

Posted by: sadatoni.6524

sadatoni.6524

Haven’t figured out how to spend them.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Tier 4 of the glider mastery is 2,413,000 XP. Based on the pattern I’m seeing, to get to tier 5 would be around 5,000,000 XP and to get the final tier would be around 10,000,000 XP. For comparison, you need 4,860,359 XP total to get to level 80.

Posted by: Siren Aradia.5863

Siren Aradia.5863

I think the progression speed is just fine. Once there are more events/less-bugged events it might be a bit too quick, but I haven’t played enough to unlock second tiers yet so it’s good to know that they take a bit longer to unlock. We should be able to get absolute basic gliding and mushrooms without months of effort, just because you’ll need them to move around.

The only problem I’m seeing is people being confused about training skills and spending points. It confused me at first too. It made sense once it was explained to me that you have to “level up” each training trait to unlock it, then spend a point to use it, but I guess maybe I wasn’t reading something right? I just felt like it wasn’t explained very well.

Posted by: Tattered Revenant.1268

Tattered Revenant.1268

Tier 4 of the glider mastery is 2,413,000 XP. Based on the pattern I’m seeing, to get to tier 5 would be around 5,000,000 XP and to get the final tier would be around 10,000,000 XP. For comparison, you need 4,860,359 XP total to get to level 80.

Also don’t forget that we need a total of 20 mastery points to max out that particular mastery. The fractal mastery currently requires 32 mastery points and has more tiers. All told with the masteries listed, that’s 152 mastery points for maxing all, as well as the XP just to unlock a tier.

At this point, we don’t know exactly how many mastery points we will get for different accomplishments or how many additional masteries will be added. While I understand this is our “end game” progression, I don’t think any of us want this to end up as grindy as some of the WvW achievements (looking at you Yakslapper).

Posted by: FrostyBou.5491

FrostyBou.5491

Feels very slow, but I’m also not getting credit for events so my only XP is from grinding mobs.