betakeys SW- dont forget about your other GM

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: lloydst.6985

lloydst.6985

first off aside from the RNG aspect of this event i like the opportunity to be able to participate in the beta.

Now anet i understand that aside from this being a chance to let players be able to “work” for getting into the beta. it is also a way to get players back into the game.

there are a few problems doin it the way you have:
1. shure its fun with a couple of guildy’s but the map/farm gets dull after 1-2 hours
2. there are other gamemode’s people like playing more ( wvw and pvp)
3. the chances are bigger you burn out more players by doing a event like this in this way, then you will get back to playing the game.

now back to my 2nd point i myself primarily pvp (wvw on raid days), now i understand we had the stronghold gamemode for 24 hours but that doesn’t make up for the fact that the beta keys(for easy of speech) dont drop from pvp, everything else is obtainable through pvp why not this? instead you make people who usually either defend objectives in wvw or prefer to pvp, jump into the most toxic and mindnumbing game mode we have. FOR A CHANCE at playing the new content (i am more interested in the revenant)

roaming/havoc commander of FTF

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

So you want to beta new content, which is most likely PVE content but you don’t want to PVE to gain access to it?

I’ve played every game mode and PVP is the most toxic out of all of them..

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: DocZed.6973

DocZed.6973

Getting access to a PvE-focused closed-beta through PvP. Legit.

All 9 classes leveled and geared to 80!
Remnants of Hope [HOPE]: Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

There was a fully open PvP beta for 24 hours recently (stronghold). Far more than what PvE has gotten, time wise. Guess it’s PvE’s turn.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Getting access to a PvE-focused closed-beta through PvP. Legit.

Getting “Dungeoneer” title by only playing pvp is legit. So why not this

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

So you want to beta new content, which is most likely PVE content but you don’t want to PVE to gain access to it?

Funny, I have had the opposite experience with PvE’ers who see you playing a necro or engi and insta kick you
To each there own i guess

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Posted by: Venatorn.7619

Venatorn.7619

Funny, I have had the opposite experience with PvE’ers who see you playing a necro or engi and insta kick you
To each there own i guess

If someone kicks a necro, they are an kitten hole …. if someone kicks an engi … they are kittened

All proffesions 80

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Oh boy this argument again.

Every mode has toxicity, you only notice it more frequently in PvP because of the competitive nature.

Dungeon, LFG tool, and open world farming events all have their fair share of toxicity.

The OP is not wrong in his suggestion. Having the item drop from these two specific zones wasn’t really the wisest idea, nor was having an RNGdrop for Beta Access. However, those are the breaks. Maybe next time there will be another method that’s more suited to the OPs liking.

Posted by: Weyrd.2794

Weyrd.2794

first off aside from the RNG aspect of this event i like the opportunity to be able to participate in the beta.

Now anet i understand that aside from this being a chance to let players be able to “work” for getting into the beta. it is also a way to get players back into the game.

there are a few problems doin it the way you have:
1. shure its fun with a couple of guildy’s but the map/farm gets dull after 1-2 hours
2. there are other gamemode’s people like playing more ( wvw and pvp)
3. the chances are bigger you burn out more players by doing a event like this in this way, then you will get back to playing the game.

now back to my 2nd point i myself primarily pvp (wvw on raid days), now i understand we had the stronghold gamemode for 24 hours but that doesn’t make up for the fact that the beta keys(for easy of speech) dont drop from pvp, everything else is obtainable through pvp why not this? instead you make people who usually either defend objectives in wvw or prefer to pvp, jump into the most toxic and mindnumbing game mode we have. FOR A CHANCE at playing the new content (i am more interested in the revenant)

The closed beta is not a chance for you to play the new content, it’s a chance for anet to have their new content TESTED. There is a difference. If a person burns out doing this activity they are probably not going to repeat the same activity multiple times in the beta to see if you can get the same random bug to happen.

Most likely, that type of person (who burns out) would hop onto the beta rush through whatever content they have available this build and then quit once they’ve done it all or hit a bug that prevents them from going further. That is not the kind of testers they need.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

The closed beta is not a chance for you to play the new content, it’s a chance for anet to have their new content TESTED. There is a difference. If a person burns out doing this activity they are probably not going to repeat the same activity multiple times in the beta to see if you can get the same random bug to happen.

Most likely, that type of person (who burns out) would hop onto the beta rush through whatever content they have available this build and then quit once they’ve done it all or hit a bug that prevents them from going further. That is not the kind of testers they need.

The issue still comes down to the selection method. There’s 0 way to show that player A who did 1 event and got lucky is better suited or qualified than player B who did 1000 events and has only silky sand to show for it.

It’s a matter of finding a happy medium such as everyone can participate, or go out and play the game completing x content y amount of times.

This essentially is the same complaint people had during the first beta selection process only this time instead of it being a newsletter, its a random drop.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

He has a point about burnout, though. At the rate the portal items are dropping, most of the people that will get them will not be able to even look at the game by the time the beta comes.

If a person burns out doing this activity they are probably not going to repeat the same activity multiple times in the beta to see if you can get the same random bug to happen.

Exactly. So, doing the selection in a way that makes it likely for those chosen to burn out is counterintuitive. They will get into the beta, but will have no strength/willpower/endurance left to properly test it.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: GrandHaven.1052

GrandHaven.1052

Shure…

Posted by: Soinetwa.5193

Soinetwa.5193

dear anet pls if u do something like this again (working for your betakeys)
then give us distinct targets
like.. beat vinewrath once and charge the ortal in the ley line cave during sand storm or alternatively do one of the maguuma wastes or dry top reward track
(sure a full track might be too much)
but rng is not what most people seem to like…

Posted by: GrandHaven.1052

GrandHaven.1052

dear anet pls if u do something like this again (working for your betakeys)
then give us distinct targets
like.. beat vinewrath once and charge the ortal in the ley line cave during sand storm or alternatively do one of the maguuma wastes or dry top reward track
(sure a full track might be too much)
but rng is not what most people seem to like…

Its a beta, ANET does not want thousands upon thousands of people logging into it.
If it was not based on RnG, there would be too many.

lloydst.6985

great discussion so far however some people don’t seem to get my point fully so here will be some clarification:

yes pvp has a lot off toxicity as well however this is contained to hotjoin, (or if you play a cheap build in ranked/unranked <- still more rare then the SW toxicity)

2ndly Even though i play mostly pvp and wvw that doesn’t mean i mind doing PVE to farm for the access to the closed beta however i don’t agree with the exclusivity to the one gamemode. and the chance that they will decrease the player base while they might have tried to increase it with this event. That just worries me.

Third yes pvp has had an 24 hour event but keep in mind this was just one map. while in the past beta event and the upcoming one they had access to the revenant. all be it for a short time frame. and as i said before i am more interested in the revenant then i am in the pve content but should that exclude me of the beta no. because in the beta you will only be able to play it in PVE anyway.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

The beta portals are available via PvE events because it will be a beta event designed to test and evaluate PvE portions of the game. It only makes sense that they want players passionate about PvE to do that.

Remember – it isnt about rewarding any group of players – its about making sure the people who are testing the content are the people who care alot about – and will have the most valuable feedback regarding – that content.

lloydst.6985

so as a main pvper i dont care enough about pve i am sorry but thats a very weak argument. i used to pve but moved away from the mindless zerging because it made the game very dull and boring (also because a lack of content). and keep in mind the pvpers (including the people that play wvw) usually are WAY better at the game because they understand the mechanics better. + we like pressing other buttons then just 1

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

PVP is the most toxic out of all of them..

I never could understand pvp as it seems the anathema of what anet wanted to do. In pve and wvw other players on your server are all potential allies. Not so in pvp. Huh? I get the impression they included it because they felt they needed to.

lloydst.6985

PVP is the most toxic out of all of them..

I never could understand pvp as it seems the anathema of what anet wanted to do. In pve and wvw other players on your server are all potential allies. Not so in pvp. Huh? I get the impression they included it because they felt they needed to.

Shure thats why they are balancing both gamemode’s seperatly and have been improving pvp over the last 2.- years… Come on really only implemented it because they felt they needed to. Wow just wow.

Posted by: Ztepam.9327

Ztepam.9327

Well, I farmed like 30 hrs for a portal and didn’t get it!!!!
For a player with 5000+ hrs played, 26.150+ AP and willing to try the beta, I’m very disappointed!
The idea is cool, but for some people (like me) can get very frustrating. Next time put a farming metode but with 100% chance of getting it, as the dungeon gear is for example

Posted by: Blanche Neige.7241

Blanche Neige.7241

Next time put a farming metode but with 100% chance of getting it, as the dungeon gear is for example

Yeah. and get 500.000 players with portals?

It’s a CLOSED beta. Meaning it’s only open for a few players, not half the game’s total population.

It will be run on a test server, probably lacking the megaserver infrastructure we have on the main game. Meaning it can only accommodate a reduced number of players at a time.

Which is why very few people out of the thousands who tried to get one actually dropped a portal. ArenaNet knew how many people they wanted for the test, and they adjusted the drop rate accordingly.

Giving a 100% chance of getting a portal would have been totally stupid. You would have ended up with a week long waiting line to enter the server.

It’s like a lottery. You can buy 1 ticket and win the jackpot. You can buy 1000 tickets and win the jackpot. You can buy a million tickets and not win the jackpot. No matter how many hours you tried to get a portal, you KNEW it did not meant you would get one.

(edited by Blanche Neige.7241)