can anyone give a noob some advice

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Khaos.6094

Khaos.6094

Ok so when heart of throns came out I quit GW2 cos I thought all there was was group events. However I think I was wrong

you see what I loved about the orginal GW2 was doing hearts at my own pace while waiting for events and joining them if there was a group however I really like soloing and everything in the jungle kills me.

so I ask is there a lot of solo stuff to do on the open map if you can you tell me what it is so I can get back to enjoying a game I really like.

thanks a lot in advance

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’ve soloed most of heart of thorns on most character professions. It’s simply a learning curve. Knowing your profession and your enemy is half the battle.

I’ve soloed most of the events in HOT and done many others when groups were doing them.

It’s definitely something that can be soloed. You may have to change how you approach things. For example, if you always played melee and you’re unwilling to swap to ranged options sometimes, that is one thing.

If you never had condition removal on your bar, you’re almost certainly going to have trouble in the jungle.

But mostly it’s just learning the creatures in the jungle and how to counter them that makes HoT playable.

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

You can’t solo the meta events for sure. This includes pretty much the whole Dragon’s Stand. Some of the champions (including some hero point ones) would be too difficult or at least require a build tailored specifically for these fights. The rest can be soloed, after you learn the specifics of the monsters, their attacks, etc.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Solo stuff;

- Enough hero points to fill your elite spec
- lots of little events
- Adventures
- Collections
- Achievements, incl mastery points and finding hidden stuff
- map exploration
- the entire story
- farming for mats

Group
- all the metas
- some events, although you’ll usually find players fall in when they appear anyway
- some hero points

Think of it being like the Orr maps, but a bit harder with a a big group meta event every couple of hours, but much more to explore and find on your own.

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

Solo is really hard at first. Until you have your elite spec. done, it’s basically not acceptable. Even after that, there’s a lot that’s going to kill you, quickly and easily.

The gating was intended to keep people from delving beyond their skill level, but it’s hopeless. The gating doesn’t help you get better, only bored. However, there is a way to avoid being incredibly bored at the start: run 2-3 characters through, switching back-and-forth while earning the XP for your masteries. (A side benefit to this method is the later characters will have a better idea how to get the achievements for storyline missions.)

If you see a “group event”, and you’re alone, leave. Until you are an expert, you’ll be toast.

Similarly, if you see a mob of more than two veterans, run. Veterans in HoT are similar to core Tyrian elites and some champions. Most have break-bars that make it impossible (solo) to break through and interrupt them, so some builds are almost useless.

Mapping is a killer. The 3D maps are somewhat interesting, but they’re nearly impossible to navigate, until you’re very used to them (and Tangled Depths never gets easy to navigate). However, the storyline takes you through that fairly well, as regards mapping. It skips much of the onerous map issues.

Bottom line: be prepared to die. A lot. And, be prepared to be frustrated by gating and map issues.

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

to solo hot you don’t want to just go pure damage, you want condition removal and toughness and have a bit of heal or invuln so you can control when you engage/disengage. After that you can destroy stuff and phase in/out more damage depending on your comfort factor.

Also always use a utility buff and food, its cheap as chips and gives you a bigger comfort margin. For example there is food that can reduce all dmg taken etc, increase boon time etc etc.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Quite a few of the ls3 maps are sol friendly and quite fun to traverse with their respectable masteries. But be warned if didnt log in the past few months some of the episodes will be only buy to play.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Living Season 3 brought the hearts back, but they reset daily (meaning you can do them multiple times).

Heart of Thorns is End-Game content – as such, you need to understand the game and how it works (And your profession mechanics) to effectively fight the enemies – you DON’T need your elite specializations to thrive, as long as you understand what you’re fighting (The elite specializations do help, though).