Elite Specializations & Hero Point Feedback [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Bryzy.2719

Bryzy.2719

what ruins it is that the majority of those hero points are locked behind the mastery system, which is designed to be a long term system.

40 accessible hero challenges would be fine, locking them behind mind-numbing mastery grind walls isn’t fine.

This is the main problem. I started with 100 points, so 300 to go. The mastery system is taking FOREVER and it just feels like a completely boring grind.

Posted by: Decado.9304

Decado.9304

400 is only 40 hero challenges, and thats in the extremely unlikely event that you start from 0,

What is extremely unlikely about having 0? I have 9 or 10 toons at 0-10 points, all WvW characters, and my other 3 have maybe 400 pts between then at most. A situation large numbers of people are in

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

what ruins it is that the majority of those hero points are locked behind the mastery system, which is designed to be a long term system.

40 accessible hero challenges would be fine, locking them behind mind-numbing mastery grind walls isn’t fine.

This is the main problem. I started with 100 points, so 300 to go. The mastery system is taking FOREVER and it just feels like a completely boring grind.

The mastery system as only been available for 15 hours. Your complaining about it being forever is just pure over dramatization. Congratulations on being awarded the William Shatner award for dramatic excellence.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Don’t have time? Does HoT or the elites expire in a certain time period and I missed that memo? Last time I checked, time was something we had lots of in this particular game. Just work at it a little bit as you have the ability to.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Don’t have time? Does HoT or the elites expire in a certain time period and I missed that memo? Last time I checked, time was something we had lots of in this particular game. Just work at it a little bit as you have the ability to.

Real life tends to get in the way for some people.

Mathematically, it’d take me over a year to complete a single elite spec line. That’s kind of stupid if you ask me.

Posted by: walkerinurface.1609

walkerinurface.1609

Being allowed to pick what traits to unlock would make a lot more sense then having a linear progression system with a lot of fluff consuming valuable hp’s in the process. What people seem to be complaining about is playing end game content with 50% of your build literally missing. It is daunting considering this content is noticeably tougher.

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

It seriously does not take that long.

Says the person who started HoT with a character with 200+ hero points. If you are starting with that going into HoT and you have unlocked all utility skills and trait lines on your main already then no “it seriously doesn’t take that long” to go to 400 points.

If however you have not got map competition (all hero points in core game) unlocked then it’s going to take a ridiculously long time. There are three large maps in HoT. The first one only offers 11 hero challenges (110 of the 400 points you’ll need). As implemented the unlock Elite Specialization mechanic rewards playing who specifically decided to go after hero point challenges/map competition and allows them to apply the award from that effort (unused hero points) to the Elite Spec. That’s not good design. GW2 has also held to being “the casual players MMO” given the group of GW1 players who went after map competition 50% of the Elite Specialization unlock is not right. Even players who have map competition on their main are upset over this requirement for their alts.

The big difference between Elite Spec progression and the core game progression is that in the core game it made sense to unlock utility skills over time. Your character is not yet level 80. You weren’t in level 80 zones. In HoT your Elite Specialization is useless with the 60 hero point unlock. You can equipt your new weapon and you have access to the play mechanics but with 200+ more points to max the trait line, the Elite Spec is useless to you in level 80 zones and the utilities are also locked. So coming into HoT without map competition you’re going to be 70%+ into the HoT content and done with the first two maps before you can begin using the Elite Specialization. So you’re wrong for many it actually REALLY DOES TAKE A LONG TIME

Posted by: Baclavaman.9054

Baclavaman.9054

Elite specs were a feature overly used to sell the expansion and when its out we cant use them at all.

People have the right to be frustrated, if it was unlocking the line like any other with the same cost in HP but you have to exclusiveley used the one in HoT would have been much easier to digest, after 6 challenges here you go, you have your Elites spec and would be totally possible with 8+ alts characters.

400 points is ridiculous and they lock one of the major selling feature behind a grind wall to ensure artificial replay ability.

They f***ed up on that one, massively.

Posted by: Aedros.1439

Aedros.1439

I originally was on the side of , no big deal, just have to spend some time in magumma and do some hero points, shouldnt be that bad…but now seeing that the hero points are I believe almost all locked behind mastery grinds, Im quite sad…Im primarily a wvw player, so dont have a huge amount of hero points on any of my characters ( between 30 to 130 on each ) , so this will take a long time…even the wvw option of 5 wvw levels per 10 hero points, will take a long time….luckily Im patient, but am let down that I wont get to play the elites any time soon…

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

This is an MMO, please take your time to accomplish something or you are probably better of in a differen genre.

You’re about several years too late with that sort of attitude. The genre has changed.

Posted by: Heelo.5193

Heelo.5193

Seriously? I really looked forward to the elite specs and wanted to explore the jungle with it. And now my char with 100% map completion that I’m playing since release is only able to unlock like half of it? Arenanet always emphasizes that you don’t have to grind in this game. But hiding the hero points in spots you can only access with the masteries and then demand 400 to unlock an elite specialization is what I would call grinding.
I work 7 days a week and got 6 characters. How am I supposed to gather all these hero points to try the elite specs on those chars? Just plain disappointed.

Sorry for my English. Non-native speaker here.

Posted by: Aedros.1439

Aedros.1439

quick math…as a mostly wvw player, it will take about a month PER CHARACTER to get 400 hps since on a good night even with boosters I can get about 5 wvw levels…so that means it will take about 9 months to unlock all 9 elites for me…

Posted by: Pingu.9501

Pingu.9501

This is an MMO, please take your time to accomplish something or you are probably better of in a differen genre.

From http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/b/615404797 and transcription stolen from Reddit:

“The mastery system is an account-based, PvE progression system. As you progress through the jungle, it is available to every character you have that is level 80 – you will complete content and overcome challenges in the jungle that reward you with mastery points. What are some examples? As you complete elements of the story, you will be rewarded with mastery points. As you reach hard to find and hard to reach locations, as you defeat incredible challenges and incredible group challenges, you will be rewarded with mastery points. As you complete exploring entire maps, you are rewarded with mastery points. As you complete challenging achievements, that send you on journeys across the jungle and beyond, you will be rewarded with mastery points. And you can spend these mastery points to purchase abilities that are available for every PvE character on your account – so you don’t have to go in and progress every one of your characters over and over again. You do it once, this is all part of our no-grind philosophy for Guild Wars 2.”

Didn’t know that a no-grind philosophy means Korean MMO levels of grinding for points to unlock 1/6th of your character’s specializations.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Honestly, I think people are just upset because they wanted the elite specs on day one. Having to go through walls to get them does feel a bit odd, as far as expansions and new specializations usually go. I can’t deny that.

I just wish they were account unlock. I don’t look forward to unlocking them on every single class… and I have… every… single… class.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Famine.3164

Famine.3164

Didn’t know that a no-grind philosophy means Korean MMO levels of grinding for points to unlock 1/6th of your character’s specializations.

You haven’t played a korean grind mmo have you? Beacuse this is nothing compared to korean grind mmo.. Come back when 1 hour in the hardest dungeon gives 0.05% of a lvl like a real korean grind mmo..

Posted by: Sinzia.1237

Sinzia.1237

I was very excited to play my new chrono, but now i have no desire to log in. I’m not going to demand a refund, i just won’t play. I assumed character progression would come in the form of masteries, and by unlocking all of the original core spec you would have access to the new spec or elite.
Oh well Blade and soul beta begins on the 30th. can’t wait

Posted by: Domey.9804

Domey.9804

its just really fkd up.

takes too long, is stupid, boring, unfun. they took my money and gave me cancer. what a nice company

Posted by: Conner.5803

Conner.5803

Just 40 HoT heropoints they said…. You’ll be done in no time, they said….

Posted by: Krasex.4950

Krasex.4950

HAhaha the main selling point gated behind a time-gated grinding mastery trackz lolz.
I can’t think of anything else aside from PHUCK ANET LOLZ.

No , seriously it is messed up. I personally thought it would be some reasonable amount like idk maybe 40-50 BUT 400 LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL.

Yeah thanks ANET… also do it on EVERY CHARACTER YOU WANT ……

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

HAhaha the main selling point gated behind a time-gated grinding mastery trackz lolz.
I can’t think of anything else aside from PHUCK ANET LOLZ.

No , seriously it is messed up. I personally thought it would be some reasonable amount like idk maybe 40-50 BUT 400 LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL.

Yeah thanks ANET… also do it on EVERY CHARACTER YOU WANT ……

This is what the MMO market has to cater to these days, and it’s scary.

Domey.9804

no man…i thought i rush this 400 hp shid and skip the boring pve. i was so wrong…cannot rush cancer maps without grind mastery system, dont want to grind, no time to grind. wasted 40€ on the most unfun expansion in this century.

i hope the responsible dev loses his /her job thats how it works in the real life

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

The mastery system as only been available for 15 hours. Your complaining about it being forever is just pure over dramatization. Congratulations on being awarded the William Shatner award for dramatic excellence.

First, thank you for saying, in your first sentence, my very thoughts: “It’s been less than 16 hours, and that’s ’forever?” Secondly, thanks for a smile. I’d love to see the statue that goes with that award.

Edit to add: I do not dismiss anyone’s feelings, thoughts, or input about the subject at hand. I was merely smiling at the thought of a William Shatner award for acting. My comments about player concerns and feedback on the subject of Hero Points can be found elsewhere in the thread — this is by no means my only comment in this thread.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Domey.9804

ye farzo, go hug them for what they created, this will net you some extra hp’s

Posted by: Krasex.4950

Krasex.4950

@ Gaile Gray…
Maybe if you had to grind FOUR HUNNY hero points you wouldn’t be so sassy …

To me it seems like you (ANET) is being fundamentally disrespectful towards the very essence of LIFE WHICH IS TIME. WE WANT FUN NOT GRIND GET IT>

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

@ Gaile Gray…

but she does have to ‘grind’ them, just like everyone else.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

First, thank you for saying, in your first sentence, my very thoughts: “It’s been less than 16 hours, and that’s ’forever?” Secondly, thanks for a smile. I’d love to see the statue that goes with that award.

people can see what they have to do and how it feels to do it.

Some people really dont like the required play.
You are only doing yourself and arenanet a disservice by dismissing player feedback.

Whatever you may personally think is a fair amount of time, a lot of players are feeling like it is not.

basically you created one path to success, and for some people that path is like having someone scream in their ear.

doesnt take 10 hours to know you dont like it.

I think its not that the content is horrible, its that some people simply dont prefer map exploration or simple event grinding.
How much do you think anyone who doesnt prefer that gameplay is going to be able to enjoy heart of thorns, being that it is essentially the only way to experince a decent portion of the content?

Posted by: Pino.5209

Pino.5209

Players and guilds are going into EB, going in circle cooperating flipping and capping in turn to level quickly lol.
Flipping Train for Hero Points. Truly a joke. Hear hear.

Posted by: Cerpin.9152

Cerpin.9152

I got 83% of my elite spec done just by superficially exploring all the maps…
Just saying.

It’s not that bad. Try playing the game.

phys.7689

@ Gaile Gray…

but she likes map exploration and events

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

@ Gaile Gray…

And being with ArenaNet, she probably test played the content over and over again, farming those points way back before we knew about it.

Posted by: Cuchullain.3104

Cuchullain.3104

In some countries, you could be shot for this level of incompetence. Most frustrating, boring and unfun expansion I’ve ever played. A hideous grindfest with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Total fail.

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

Can you start perma banning all these accounts that keep saying they have quit or are quitting? They are doing nothing but constantly posting negative stuff all over the forums. There was a thread about playing nice when HoT launched and I thought that meant on these forums as well..

Hey guys I’m sorry you quit.. Please do so and stop posting here.. K thanks bye

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

I dunno I am starting to agree with the OPs lot.

Was totally for making it need work to play an elite spec.

But after spending ~8 hours playing today (normally I can only play 1-2 hours at most) and only getting 40-50 hero points (60? I’m too tired to go look) I just want to play HoT content with my elite spec.

A lot of us bought HoT specifically to change our class, not grind masteries. I am ok with the mastery grind separate but not tied into elites…

As there is no way I’ll be able to keep up my current pace, its gonna be awhile before I get my (fully usable) elite and I wanted to experience HoT with it. Rather than this being a fully joyous day its just becoming a bit bitter.

phys.7689

Just saying.

by playing the game you mean

try exploring the map and repeating events.
also im guessing 50% of that was from previous tyria hero points.

phys.7689

Can you start perma banning all these accounts that keep saying they have quit or are quitting? They are doing nothing but constantly posting negative stuff all over the forums. There was a thread about playing nice when HoT launched and I thought that meant on these forums as well..

why would they? they hope they change their minds and give em money later

Posted by: Baclavaman.9054

Baclavaman.9054

Well with common sense, a major marketing and selling feature that is not available when you buy something feels out of place.

Legendaries we knew it would be a long process, same goes for masteries and even map exploration, elite specs had to be unlocked but i think everyone expected the 60 Hp line cost like any others, regular an expected stuff.

Now 400, even you have to admit this is out of proportion compared to everything else, specially when the means to get it are so hard to have access to, this is specially true for the Revenant since you have locking 20% of the profession assets behind other things.

Make the elites pecs like the est at 60 HP to unlock, keep the HoT heros challenges at 10 because they are much harder to get than the core game ones and this is a healthy compromise for everyone.

(edited by Baclavaman.9054)

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

Then plz stop coming to the forum. If you can’t handle negative stuff in the forum, just avoid it.

Cerpin.9152

Just saying.

Yes, I explored the maps and I got my previous points done in advance. So? Thats what it means “playing the game”.
Is “playing the game” to you: “I log in and I’m done” ?

There isn’t much repeating events required to get that far. Some heropoints are gated behind masteries. Big deal. Some more reason to play the game and get more involved in the new content.

phys.7689

Just saying.

Yes, I explored the maps and I got my previous points done in advance. So? Thats what it means “playing the game”.

There isn’t much repeating events required to get that far. Some heropoints are gated behind masteries. Big deal. Some more reason to play the game and get more involved in the new content.

before, playing the game was, dungeons, fractals, eotm wvw,

now its only map exploration.
what a contraction.

and not everyone likes event spam to progress

the key mistake is thinking thats what everyone who bought hot was buying it for.

like i said, if you like map exploration and repeating events, hot will be awesome.

If you didnt like that stuff, or dont like these specific maps, hot will be very not awesome

Posted by: Angel.6085

Angel.6085

200 roll over…. so that’s even less. Quit kittening.

YB>DB>BG>SOR>TC>BG>FA>DB>SOS>BP Guardian
Formerly [rB], [OPED], [Choo]
Guild Leader [DN] Digital Nemesis

Posted by: CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

Wow. Just wow.

First someone from aNet FINALLY comments about the grind problem with hero points after THOUSANDS of posts complaining about it, but not only do you NOT even address the problem, you actively encourage verbally putting down players that are voicing their opinions using hyperbole to make their point.

Wow. I can’t even. I’m Disgusted with that comment Gaile.

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

Then plz stop coming to the forum. If you can’t handle negative stuff in the forum, just avoid it.

Yea I’m going to take your advice actually. I mean if you quit you don’t need your forum access anymore and shouldn’t keep posting same thing in multiple threads..

Plus its just not this thread. People try and have nice convo’s and debbie downers chime in and ruin the fun for us that are actually enjoying it.

Anyways going back to enjoy the jungle.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Cerpin.9152

Just saying.

before, playing the game was, dungeons, fractals, eotm wvw,

now its only map exploration.
what a contraction.

and not everyone likes event spam to progress

the key mistake is thinking thats what everyone who bought hot was buying it for.

like i said, if you like map exploration and repeating events, hot will be awesome.

If you didnt like that stuff, or dont like these specific maps, hot will be very not awesome

Map exploration isn’t that big of a deal. It’s literally just running around.
Even if you think you dislike it, you can pull through with some guide and some friends and it actually will be a walk in the park. It’s just a little investment of time, it doesn’t constitute the whole new expansion.

What you think “the game was” is just your own fabrication anyway. Get over it.

Posted by: PrinceKhaled.5104

PrinceKhaled.5104

One of the, should be, greatest features of GW2 is that you don’t have to be a MMO PvE grinder!!
So, for people that enjoys WvW and was waiting for that day to play these specializations in WvW and GvG, good luck in getting these specializations within a reasonable time. Or, learn to play PvE……. I guess?!!!

Sincerely,
WvW and PvP player!

Posted by: Decado.9304

Decado.9304

First, nice to actually see an Anet comment in a thread, secondly , pity you only replied to one of the few people agreeing with you and ignored all the other comments and complaints about your new terribly thought out grind system.

Also very nice to see your lack of respect to those customers with complaints

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

I don’t want to log in.

16 hours after release.

Is that how it’s supposed to be then?

This Elite grind is not fun, it’s infact super duper UN-FUN.

When you know you have not much content, throw up grind walls around every corner and claim less is more.

See here’s the thing, I don’t mind grinding, I can with stand a punishing amount but this…this is absolutely absurb and they expect us to do this with ever single char we play. Really? REALLY?!

Suffice to say, HoT is totally disappointing. I had more fun in WoD which is saying something.

10/10 IGN Grind Wars is Grindy.

(edited by fixit.7189)

Posted by: GreyWraith.8394

GreyWraith.8394

400 Hero Points to unlock Elite Spec? Why?
You already screwed me over having 4k+ Skill Points then you turn them into like 200 Hero Points and now i need 400 of them to play the game i bought for WvW purpose ONLY. Lower that kitten. I’m not here to grind , I’m here to play. If i wanted to play Archeage I would go play that crap.

What would be the fastest way to get hero Points?

Unfortunately it looks like PvD farming EotM. The heroic thingys drop pretty fast (I played about 15 minutes and got 4) and 10 of them will unlock a random hero point. I’m not grinding EotM for the expansion though.

I’d rather read a book.

End of the Dream by Evanescence
unofficial theme song of the Nightmare Court

Posted by: Avlaen.7241

Avlaen.7241

400 sps is really a ridiculous amount. even in pve you will need to do all or nearly all the challenges to play the elite spec. So you need to finish hot before your able to play the new thing.

and in wvw you only get 2-3 or so of the proof of heroics per wvw and you need 400.. so thats about 200 wvw levels per character that you want to unlock the elite spec on.

what happened to their no grind policy?

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

Wow. so basically the official word is that the many many pages of people who are complaining about this should just shut up? Also confirming that people who have played for 16 hrs still shouldn’t have their elites unlocked? Well that just kittens me off.

Domey.9804

i prefer pvd farming eotm over “exploring” the new maps.