Elite Specializations & Hero Point Feedback [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I don’t think it is “everything”. I didn’t say that it was. And yes progression does take many forms. This is one of the forms put before us and we have to deal with it. So anyone can disagree with me or anyone else, it doesn’t change the fact that this is the way it is happening.

Then why did you use such hyperbole about being handed everything in the context of this topic, besides trying to suggest people wanted to be handed everything?

Because many of them are. Again, I didn’t accuse everyone. Apparently you are taking my post way too personally. It was directed at those who are indeed acting this way. If you are not, then you shouldn’t have a beef.

Lol, that contradicts already! You say you didn’t accuse anyone, and claim people are.

You don’t have to be part of a group to get offended. Maybe it offended someone else I know, because I’m a carebear like that! But my personal reaction is irrelevant, I’m just calling out the statements said, and it doesn’t require any emotional content to do so

You are correct the “core” lines are all unlocked by 80, not new specs. You are right that it can be a bigger deal, but again, how is that different than it is right now? Having the elite isn’t going to cause the problem or make it worse. There will always be some problem with shunning and ridicule. Having the elite given to you at release will not mitigate this. Also, everyone has the choice and ability to get the correct gear and “meta” builds if they do not want to have the ridicule. That is what anyone has to do in order to not have those jerks shun and ridicule. It’s not right, but there it is.

Just because people will be shunned and ridiculed doesn’t mean we need more reasons though. The gap created won’t be impossible to overcome, but I do think it will be greater than the ascended-exotic gap.

Currently, I can create something close to most “meta” stuff with just some tomes and maybe 100 gold if exotics are good enough.

Actually it is. No one is going to be “gifted” with the elite specs. If you want them, you have to take time to get them. Even in WvW.

I agree to some degree, but I think it is somewhat uneven that WvW’ers must spend so much time outside of WvW to remain competitive in WvW. And Anet has at least addressed the concern, so it is not something entirely subjective. A lot of high end content generally is self-contained. For example, getting higher levels in fractals is for the sake of getting higher levels; there’s no real reason to do that unless you want to do fractals because it affects gameplay absolutely nowhere else. There is where you could reasonably say “You can’t just have that handed to you”

In this case “complaining” and “discussion” are semantics. I agree that disagreeing (discussing, complaining) with what is not good in the game is a great way of getting bad content changed. What I find to be silly bordering on ridiculous is complaining about something before it is even implemented. Wait until it drops, see how it is and then start the discussion. Until then, it is just Chicken Little-ing.

I think this is self-correcting.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Baclavaman.9054

Baclavaman.9054

Wasn’t really expecting any on your existing character to suddenly become a ( insert elite spec of choice here) when HoT releases, however the cost of 400 HP locks a major asset of HoT content behind a “grind wall”.

A lot of people were counting on experiencing the jungle with their new builds but now you will have to play the jungle with your old set up and when most of it is done you will be able to enjoy what you been anticipating. Overall this feels like forced replay ability.

Some work of course, maybe completing the hero challenges of the first zone would have been enough ( at least for the newly created characters) or a 100% world completion on the others but 400 is simply way too high and will discourage people to actually unlock them.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

I’ve heard it’ll take around 60 to unlock it. The 400 is to completely unlock everything in the spec. It shouldn’t take that long to “experience” the elite spec.

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

1.) It just doesn’t make sense to punish the more casual players this way

Once you unlock whatever rank of masteries that is required for access to the hero points, it will likely be way easier to get the elite spec with your alts than doing central Tyrian map completion over and over again.

Indeed it will, but that’ still something like 16 million xp. For a person that prefers WvW to PvE that number is cringe-inducing. This will devastate real WvW, as WvW players will play nonstop EotM to get their HP, or shudder, head to PvE-land.

Posted by: Laosduude.1690

Laosduude.1690

Do people even play games to build up their characters anymore? Guess not, lets get everything on a silver platter.

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

Anet warned us several months ago so the players can do all the HP’s to get ready for h.o.t . Each HP in new maps are 10 points each and you can get all 400 points in new maps if you want.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: Omega Zoa.3859

Omega Zoa.3859

Sigh…people forgot the meaning of “grindwall” Each HP will have some tweak to it and it’s not all located in one spot repeating over and over again for days on end..I played a mmo where I frikkin cut trees for 2 months just for a cape..that is a grindwall…this? Not even.

“Might makes Right” – the ability to commit an act is sufficient justification to do it.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Anet warned us several months ago so the players can do all the HP’s to get ready for h.o.t . Each HP in new maps are 10 points each and you can get all 400 points in new maps if you want.

This. ANet told us to go grab the HP in the core game ready for HoT. Looks.like only a few of us .listened.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Progression: gradually unlock new tools as you play the game and experience new content.

Grind: slaughter 1000 rats (or any equivalent) through a week or a month for that 0.01% chance of getting an Excalibur.

Baclavaman.9054

Well 60 will unlock it but if we take the Herald in example, 60 unlocks the traits but how about the Herald skills?

60 might give you the glass but now you have to fill it drop by drop. 9 traits + 5 skills over 340 points. I am not sure how they decided to quantify them but if it is indeed the case, well feel the restriction while playing.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I really don’t see how this qualifies as a grind. You’re doing 20-40 completely different challenges. That means different fights, jumping puzzles, etc. for each one.

It’s only a grind if you choose to make it one by rolling seven thousand alts. In which case, I mean, didn’t you already choose to grind a lot of stuff you didn’t have to anyway?

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

400 points for a full elite spec.
10 points per skill challenge in Maguuma
40 challenges.
4 maps. 10 challenges per map.

Considering most maps have 7 to 9 hero challenges per map in the base game, this really isn’t going out of your way for anything. If ArenaNet just decided to drop 4 new maps in, that added 40 challenges into the game, nobody would think anything of it. Great, new content, right? But as soon as you connect it to a spec system, it spawns a proverbial storm. Its odd.

In all honesty, im glad this playwall is here, so when somebody sees an elite spec, they know it really is elite. When im dancing around with my giant scythe on Reaper, I want people to know that I had to beat up a lot of plant-people for that title.

Bring on the jungle. My blade awaits.

Posted by: hurrado.2346

hurrado.2346

This. ANet told us to go grab the HP in the core game ready for HoT. Looks.like only a few of us .listened.

Not everyone wants to farm HP in pve.

Posted by: Paulash.5814

Paulash.5814

Sigh…people forgot the meaning of “grindwall” Each HP will have some tweak to it and it’s not all located in one spot repeating over and over again for days on end..I played a mmo where I frikkin cut trees for 2 months just for a cape..that is a grindwall…this? Not even.

Eyyy, fellow Runescape veteran

Omega Zoa.3859

Eyyyyy, buying gf amirite?

But honestly this is not bad. With a little bit of time you will unlock everything m8 not like it will take you weeks on end. Maybe a day or 2

“Might makes Right” – the ability to commit an act is sufficient justification to do it.

Posted by: Laosduude.1690

Laosduude.1690

Grindwall, level all pokemon to level 100

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

But honestly this is not bad. With a little bit of time you will unlock everything m8 not like it will take you weeks on end. Maybe a day or 2

It’s bad when you have to do it for each character beyond the first, though. Then it’s repeating the same tasks over and over.

There’s also no knowledge about how many will be quickly accessible. It’s entirely possible many of them will be locked behind masteries which may take months or possibly years to acquire fully.

Omega Zoa.3859

Honestly as a community we have become really lazy..we are used for like…3 years of having everything unlocked and with this introduction of new progress “scares” alot of people..i mean work to reunlocked everything? What a heretical notion! what will people ask next? Reduce masteries xp required by 95%?

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

Since they said it would be more difficult and costly to get the skins, which are at the end of the track, I assume it will probably be more like 250 for the whole elite spec. People with previously completed map completion should have around 214 hero points already, and since the ones in HoT maps are 10 points each you won’t even have to explore an entire map to get your spec.

I could be wrong, but that’s just what it sounds like to me. Even if you had to get the full 40 points, once you got gliding and mushroom masteries it would only take a few hours to get your spec.

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

Not everyone wants to farm HP in pve.

Its hardly a farm when you can only do each HP once per alt and its not like they are real hard to do, at most for very few you may need some help. Players have to do them anyway for map completion so not a big deal as some of you are making this out to be. Besides it would be a low blow to all the players that got all the HP’s by playing the game if OP got his/her way.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

DeceiverX.8361

Lazy? BS. How many hours a week do you work? I bought this game because it could still be fun with a packed schedule and not leave me in the dust as a consequence for my life taking priority and requiring most of my time and effort.

Omega Zoa.3859

It’s bad when you have to do it for each character beyond the first, though. Then it’s repeating the same tasks over and over.

There’s also no knowledge about how many will be quickly accessible. It’s entirely possible many of them will be locked behind masteries which may take months or possibly years to acquire fully.

“Years” well again right back you you have no knowledge as well..for all you know it will take 1 to 2 days. Honestly this whole ordeal has blown out of the water, as a community we have become really lazy over the course of 3 years of no progression and have really gotten used to having everything unlocked for us the whole concept of actually working to unlock perks for your class? What heresy!

EDIT: also the whole arguement of alts is just..no..in the end alts are characters that you have to progress as well..just because they are alts does exclude them for a free pass or content made easier.

(edited by Omega Zoa.3859)

Posted by: jgcd.6041

jgcd.6041

As much as I was initially annoyed by this, you have to keep in mind that the entire premise of elite specs is that they’re earned. Also, elite specs were designed to be a hero point sink, but still leave you with over 200 left if you have grinded all of the available hero points in game as they currently are.

Like any MMO, or game in general, you want to or unlock everything? You’re going to have to work for it.

- This is a forum, expect logic to get left at the door, beaten bloody, and set on fire.

- The more asinine the post or thread, the more I am amused.

Baclavaman.9054

400 points for a full elite spec.
10 points per skill challenge in Maguuma
40 challenges.
4 maps. 10 challenges per map.

Considering most maps have 7 to 9 hero challenges per map in the base game, this really isn’t going out of your way for anything. If ArenaNet just decided to drop 4 new maps in, that added 40 challenges into the game, nobody would think anything of it. Great, new content, right? But as soon as you connect it to a spec system, it spawns a proverbial storm. Its odd.

In all honesty, im glad this playwall is here, so when somebody sees an elite spec, they know it really is elite. When im dancing around with my giant scythe on Reaper, I want people to know that I had to beat up a lot of plant-people for that title.

Bring on the jungle. My blade awaits.

So considering each map have 10 Hero challenges on them, each map have 3 layers to cover and these layers are accessed behind masteries that requires leveling up, so if the HP are not the ground level this could take a very long while to just get your elite specs.

Personally i bought HoT for the elite specs, playung the same thing over and over gets boring, knowing that the fresh stuff is locked behind what could be a very long process is rather annoying.
If it was a living world update allowing you evolve after completing the requirements, its fine but locking paid content behind overpriced requirements takes the fun out of it.
A quest line would have been the appropriate way to become elite, you have stuff to do and you would get some explanation and even lore around them, not chasing around a map collecting what you could collect in the core content.

Posted by: Dynasty.5127

Dynasty.5127

Honestly as a community we have become really lazy..we are used for like…3 years of having everything unlocked and with this introduction of new progress “scares” alot of people..i mean work to reunlocked everything? What a heretical notion! what will people ask next? Reduce masteries xp required by 95%?

I wouldn’t say lazy, one of the GW2 selling points was that it was very casual friendly with little to no grinds. So I would say it’s more like we have expectations for the game to have less time investment, not lazy. For other games you know what you are getting yourself into, Korean games are typically very much a non stop grind, you know what to expect with games like WoW and you play it accordingly. GW2 is no different, we expect it to be more casual friendly because that was how it was sold.

That’s my opinion at least.

DeceiverX.8361

“Years” well again right back you you have no knowledge as well..for all you know it will take 1 to 2 days. Honestly this whole ordeal has blown out of the water, as a community we have become really lazy over the course of 3 years of no progression and have really gotten used to having everything unlocked for us the whole concept of actually working to unlock perks for your class? What heresy!

EDIT: also the whole arguement of alts is just..no..in the end alts are characters that you have to progress as well..just because they are alts does exclude them for a free pass or content made easier.

Except we do. Each mastery requires 16 million exp to max out, and you need 200k experience to level up at level 80, and dungeons will not provide HoT mastery experience. All of this is information that has been announced and confirmed by ANet staff or was available in the BWE’s. Therefore, basic math dictates that in order to max out a given mastery, one must level up 800 times per mastery.

So a HP is locked behind a maxed glide and then a maxed mushroom hop. Looks like you need 1600 level-ups to get it, only attainable by doing events in the HoT maps.

That is indeed one hell of a grind, even while the masteries are account bound, and still doesn’t change the fact that one has to still run around and collect them all or do map completion in Tyria multiple times over, which again, is repeating the same task for each character in a very similar way over each similar map.

Omega Zoa.3859

Lazy? BS. How many hours a week do you work? I bought this game because it could still be fun with a packed schedule and not leave me in the dust as a consequence for my life taking priority and requiring most of my time and effort.

I work about 38-46 hours a week, will work more with Christmas coming up with peak. I never claimed you as a person are lazy I ment in game, the whole concept of unlocking perks for your class is too hard please give it to me on a silver plate is dumb..plus this is a free mmo..not like you are forced to squeeze in 40 hours of gameplay a week to get your months pay, slow and steady, what’s the rush?

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Except we do. Each mastery requires 16 million exp to max out, and you need 200k experience to level up at level 80, and dungeons will not provide HoT mastery experience. All of this is information that has been announced and confirmed by ANet staff or was available in the BWE’s. Therefore, basic math dictates that in order to max out a given mastery, one must level up 800 times per mastery.

So a HP is locked behind a maxed glide and then a maxed mushroom hop. Looks like you need 1600 level-ups to get it, only attainable by doing events in the HoT maps.

That is indeed one hell of a grind, even while the masteries are account bound, and still doesn’t change the fact that one has to still run around and collect them all or do map completion in Tyria multiple times over, which again, is repeating the same task for each character in a very similar way over each similar map.

This is why the most useful effects from masteries are on the lower tiers, and the higher tiers are generally stuff like “you can do a solo boss challenge once per day” or “now you can infinit glide even though the zone isn’t designed around infinite gliding”

They’re set up like GW1 achievement tracks really. They’re long term things with all the useful effects early and the prestige and fluff effects at the end of long grinds.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Omega Zoa.3859

I wouldn’t say lazy, one of the GW2 selling points was that it was very casual friendly with little to no grinds. So I would say it’s more like we have expectations for the game to have less time investment, not lazy. For other games you know what you are getting yourself into, Korean games are typically very much a non stop grind, you know what to expect with games like WoW and you play it accordingly. GW2 is no different, we expect it to be more casual friendly because that was how it was sold.

My friend…that is the problem..many people forgot the true meaning of grind..try cutting trees nonstop for 2 months..that is grind..this? Each HP is located in a different area and has some tweak to it..also does not require spending weeks at a time to POSSIBLY get it as a drop..as for casually..that is core gw2..as main selling point of hot is the promise of as challange. That’s my two cents..gana leave this threat now..I feel people want to kill me for stating my opinions.

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

Exactly my view. GW2 is ceasing to be a casual-friendly, grind-optional MMO, and moving toward an e-sport, full-time-commitment model. Perhaps profitable, but not my cup of tea.

Omega Zoa.3859

This is why the most useful effects from masteries are on the lower tiers, and the higher tiers are generally stuff like “you can do a solo boss challenge once per day” or “now you can infinit glide even though the zone isn’t designed around infinite gliding”

They’re set up like GW1 achievement tracks really. They’re long term things with all the useful effects early and the prestige and fluff effects at the end of long grinds.

Exactly. The stuff near the end is more of a convenient things..like more easily kill that heavily armored mordrum..or instead of taking 10min. To climb up there it will take you 1min.

Dynasty.5127

My friend…that is the problem..many people forgot the true meaning of grind..try cutting trees nonstop for 2 months..that is grind..this? Each HP is located in a different area and has some tweak to it..also does not require spending weeks at a time to POSSIBLY get it as a drop..as for casually..that is core gw2..as main selling point of hot is the promise of as challange. That’s my two cents..gana leave this threat now..I feel people want to kill me for stating my opinions.

I can agree with that, I’d say a better way to describe it would be to say it’s a grind in GW2 terms because you are right, compared to some other games out there, this is not even scratching the surface of a grind.

I still personally would very much like to see the number dropped down a bit from 400.

Posted by: MrH.2591

MrH.2591

RIP my alts.

15chars

Dynasty.5127

Do people even play games to build up their characters anymore? Guess not, lets get everything on a silver platter.

Why be so hostile ? The way he enjoys to play and his opinion are just as valid as yours, there is really no need to get upset.

For me, I think it should be reduced to 200, I don’t mind putting in some effort but I would like to try the Elite out as soon as possible because that was one of my main reasons for the purchase.

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

I’ve decided that the anger I feel is not productive. I will play as and when I see fit, and that will certainly be less now. If I’m having fun and progressing, I’ll play a lot. If only one of those, I’ll play a little. If neither, I’ll leave completely. Raging (as I and many others have done) is probably futile. The almighty bottom line is all that matters to A-Net in the end, so I won’t be buying gems again until I’m happy.

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

I’ve decided that the anger I feel is not productive. I will play as and when I see fit, and that will certainly be less now. If I’m having fun and progressing, I’ll play a lot. If only one of those, I’ll play a little. If neither, I’ll leave completely. Raging (as I and many others have done) is probably futile. The almighty bottom line is all that matters to A-Net in the end, so I won’t be buying gems again until I’m happy.

Well, in ANet’s defense, the bottom-line is all that matters in a capitalist society. I certain think that way when I charge my customers: Will what I do bring in more or less business?

Clearly, casual, limited play-time customers are no longer ANet’s focus, no matter how much we spend in the Trading Post (I just checked, over $500 on my part since release.) That’s ANet’s choice made based on where they expect to get revenue. Nothing wrong with that. If the game moves too far in a direction I dislike, I’ll post my opinion, and leave if/when the game is no longer appealing.

I don’t expect ANet to cater to me. But they shouldn’t expect me to spend more money on GW2 if it’s no longer fun for me and my family.

Posted by: Togo.7094

Togo.7094

by all means lower it to 200. that means 11 fully unlocked elite spec characters for me as soon as I can log in.

Dynasty.5127

by all means lower it to 200. that means 11 fully unlocked elite spec characters for me as soon as I can log in.

You see I don’t get why people would be upset by this, I think that is great if you were able to unlock them all right off the bat because you did the work prior. I guess what I mean is it doesn’t affect me in anyway so more power to you.

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

Sounds like we agree on everything.

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

Posted by: Togo.7094

Togo.7094

I don’t care if they make 600. i’m going to map complete the new zones on every character just like I map complete the core game on every character. I like map completion personally no matter how many times I do it.

DiogoSilva.7089

Considering that the last and costier HP unlocks are tied to two cosmetic items and to runes/ sigils, perhaps you’ll only need 200-300 to get all the skills/ traits you need.

DiogoSilva.7089

I still personally would very much like to see the number dropped down a bit from 400.

It IS dropped down a bit from 400, actually. Don’t forget that the last HP unlocks are spent on skins and runes.

Posted by: Azhael.5726

Azhael.5726

lol 400hp looks like i will charge back my 100 bucks.

Posted by: Bhima.9518

Bhima.9518

It is a little annoying and I understand the desire to want to play with the new spec while you organically move through the new content. This decision to require getting these points does incentivize players to skip much of the pve content so they can get the HP for the new spec, and then hopefully go back to the beginning of maguuma and play it normally. I’m not sure that is a good thing from a design perspective, and this feels more like a case of adding progression where it wasn’t needed (we have the new storyline, masteries, fractals, raids and legendaries for progression).

Dynasty.5127

It IS dropped down a bit from 400, actually. Don’t forget that the last HP unlocks are spent on skins and runes.

I am aware of this fact, if you would like all the skins and stuff it is still 400. It’s a personal opinion, you don’t have to agree with it.

DiogoSilva.7089

I’m not sure that is a good thing from a design perspective, and this feels more like a case of adding progression where it wasn’t needed (we have the new storyline, masteries, fractals, raids and legendaries for progression).

Narrative progression, map progression (masteries), boss progression (fractals, raids), item progression (collectibles) and character progression (elite specs).

They all fill their unique purpose, even if they overlap at times (but nothing wrong with that, though).

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

It has nothing to do with that at all in the slightest…

You enjoy games for a reason just like others, your reasons will differ from others and your playstyle also differs, what you might find fun aka: grinding for mechanics to a class and building your character, others wont, they just want the mechanics to use strait away so they can get stuck into the game play and have fun enjoying the game the way they like to play.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’m still waiting for the mass exodus of people who find the idea of playing the game to earn character progression offensive and unacceptable.

Or for that matter the mass exodus of people that swore the game would fold under some massive revolt when ascended was added to the game in 2012

As far as I can tell it isn’t happening. People will complain about this for maybe another week, and then completely forget about it. The handful of people that leave the game over something so silly will not be missed, and the people that stick around will simply become accustomed to it.

If they make it easier later those same people will make another whine thread about how all their “hard work” was “devalued” and how much it’s a “slap in the face” to “veteran players”

Honestly. How many times can the sky be falling in a year without it actually falling?

Maybe you should pose that question the next time you need to lock up the thought processes of a deranged, homicidal computer.

DiogoSilva.7089

I am aware of this fact, if you would like all the skins and stuff it is still 400. It’s a personal opinion, you don’t have to agree with it.

Yes, but skins and runes fall a lot easier under the reward category, so if we’re talking purely about wanting to enjoy a new gameplay experience by playing new content with new skills/ traits from the get-go, it should be more streamlined than what it may appear to be.

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

I’m actually one of those who love building up the character as you get a kind of bond to them, that is hard to get if you say, instantly recieve a max level character in a game – feels like a stranger. however, I’ve never quite enjoyed having parts of a class locked away for long, since that’s a pivotal part of building up that unique character.

Now, i don’t think it’s that bad in HoT, I’ll definitely be working on them with my alts – I’ll start small with only the favoured one and the new Revenant, though.