fix the HP system !

fix the HP system !

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: glenndevis.8327

glenndevis.8327

Most of them are doable alone. Some require 2 maybe 3 people at most.

I have all my 10 characters maxed and never joined any HP train.

If you want to do them as fast as possible, sure HP trains are great but they are in no way required.

fix the HP system !

Posted by: Katastroff.1045

Katastroff.1045

Why would we want Anet to fix something that worked for so long ?

Why simplify things when its so easy to complicate them ?

fix the HP system !

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

the current HP system in gw2 that requires players to join “HP trains” in order to gain Hero Points seems broken and unchallenging. players gain HeroPoints just for being part of a group and not for actually having skills in the game.

It requires no such thing. There are players who do these solo, for the fun of it.

HP trains exist for players with many alts, who find no fun in unlocking their N-th elite specialization, in the same way they unlocked the first N-1. They are simply an efficient way to do something you need to do before being able to play your character properly.

So, in essence: no thanks. The HP system is fine as it is.

fix the HP system !

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

so, 2 threads into the topic, can be summarized as “don’t fix what isn’t broken”?

fix the HP system !

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

the current HP system in gw2 that requires players to join “HP trains” in order to gain Hero Points seems broken and unchallenging. players gain HeroPoints just for being part of a group and not for actually having skills in the game.

It requires no such thing. There are players who do these solo, for the fun of it.

HP trains exist for players with many alts, who find no fun in unlocking their N-th elite specialization, in the same way they unlocked the first N-1. They are simply an efficient way to do something you need to do before being able to play your character properly.

HP trains exist for people who cannot solo champs. Not everybody can solo group events, you know? And those HP’s are horribly broken, I’ve been trying to get the HP’s in AB for 2 hours now, I’ve switched maps 4 times already because the map is empty. How am I to get those HP’s if nobody is around to help me? Do I really have to bully people into helping me?

fix the HP system !

Posted by: Despond.2174

Despond.2174

OP I used to think it was the case. After soloing my last 7 elite specs the reality is you don’t need to join a HP train. In fact HP trains can slow you down with people being slow or if you have already done certain HPs. I was intimated at first, then once I did 1-2 more I realized it’s quite simple.

What I did was learn every HP locations for VB+AB – use youtube or dulfy they hand feed it for you. VB only has THREE champions that need a group—the 4th champion @ the lower level is soloable by any specs—and some specs like minionmancer can solo everything. So 8/11 HPs in VB are just “walk up to them”. Then the other 3, if you call out on the map you are doing them or just wait a few minutes there’s always 1-2 people who need them or 1 person who will help.

Then in AB there’s 4/11 HPs that are gimmies. The rest are champs and AB is always swarming with people, I just start up a HP like arrowhead, type in map chat, people come and join. If you want to go to TD, there 3/11 HPs that gimmies/walk up to. Depending how much you did of AB you now have your elite spec.

And also please remember, if you want to spare 1.5hours doing the DS meta, you have 7/7 HPs that are gimmies/walk up to – granted 1 if you don’t have leyline you can’t get it unless you look up the climbing path or get a mesmar portal. So 6/7 60 HP right there.

It’s extremely easy, roughly a few hours for each elite spec. Once you know where to go – that’s the only thing you have to put effort in, then all your alts will just be a breeze. And develop a system for example you just did Golem hp? You can glide down to the cliff HP that’s just north.

Another TIP, if you’re unlucky and one champ you can’t get people, move on to one of the many gimmies/walk up to HPs. Once you learn everything and develop a proper route your alts will be a breeze.

(edited by Despond.2174)

fix the HP system !

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

the 4th champion @ the lower level is soloable by any specs

That one hasn’t been a champion for a very long time.

fix the HP system !

Posted by: Despond.2174

Despond.2174

Well I kinda of meant “boss” but sure it’s not a champion fine. My point is just in the first zone 8/11 are all gimmie/solos you just have to learn where they are once, develop a decent route and you’re gtg.

fix the HP system !

Posted by: Kitabake.8291

Kitabake.8291

I can solo most of the challanges. Some of them are not soloable, but this is MMORPG. MASSIVE MULTI PLAYER. So it’s totally OK to play with others. There are tons of solo games out there. Having 2 people to do a challange makes a challange for me easy. But i understand other people can have problems with it. If you can’t do it with 3-5 people then you should learn more about mechanics of the game. If you can’t find more people then start to use: LFG, MAP CHAT, GUILD CHAT, WHISPER, MENTOR TAG – with all this stuff it shouldn’t be hard to do HPs. I’ve did around 15 characters of HPs. Sometimes i solo, somtimes i use TOOLS to get help from ranodm people, or sometimes i help others just for fun. I hope you have fun and try to use tips i provided.

fix the HP system !

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

HP trains exist for people who cannot solo champs.

It’s funny because Feanor describes exactly what my thought was when two guild mates led my new mesmer through Tangled Depth for Hero Points. I was grinding her through many old Tyria HP stations for days until I got to the point where I was still missing about 130 points to make her a Chronomancer and give her the shield, as I wanted to play a Chronomancer. We used our entry to TD in the guild hall because I haven’t unlocked it through the story yet (as I said, I want to play a Chronomancer and didn’t spend hours in the story without the elite trait), and it took us 20 to 25 minutes to get all 11 HP stations in TD and 2 in Auric Basin. And we killed the frog triple as a side quest in that time.

I’m still missing HPs from TD with my main character because I cannot kill that vampire beast alone. I can solo champs, but not with my new mesmer. The reason I did it like this is exactly the one Feanor gave. And it was fun to fly through TD with someone who knows his way around there. My orientation sucks and alone it would have taken me days to get to the places, despite having been there before. I have all masteries that make travel smoother, so that certainly helped doing it in 20 minutes. I’m happy that I can enjoy my Chronomancer now while playing the game instead of playing for another three weeks without the elite trait.

And by the way, I really want to see you killing that shadow leaper frog near Dragon’s Passage Waypoint alone, and also the vampire kitten.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

fix the HP system !

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

HP trains exist for people who cannot solo champs.

It’s funny because Feanor describes exactly what my thought was when two guild mates led my new mesmer through Tangled Depth for Hero Points. I was grinding her through many old Tyria HP stations for days until I got to the point where I was still missing about 130 points to make her a Chronomancer and give her the shield, as I wanted to play a Chronomancer. We used our entry to TD in the guild hall because I haven’t unlocked it through the story yet (as I said, I want to play a Chronomancer and didn’t spend hours in the story without the elite trait), and it took us 20 to 25 minutes to get all 11 HP stations in TD and 2 in Auric Basin. And we killed the frog triple as a side quest in that time.

I’m still missing HPs from TD with my main character because I cannot kill that vampire beast alone. I can solo champs, but not with my new mesmer. The reason I did it like this is exactly the one Feanor gave. And it was fun to fly through TD with someone who knows his way around there. My orientation sucks and alone it would have taken me days to get to the places, despite having been there before. I have all masteries that make travel smoother, so that certainly helped doing it in 20 minutes. I’m happy that I can enjoy my Chronomancer now while playing the game instead of playing for another three weeks without the elite trait.

And by the way, I really want to see you killing that shadow leaper frog near Dragon’s Passage Waypoint alone, and also the vampire kitten.

I personally don’t see a problem with running HP trains or doing HPs solo. That’s really a matter of personal preference. However, every HP in HoT can be done solo and there are videos on youtube to prove it. Since you’re new enough to this that you seem to be mixing up your maps and bosses (vampire broodmother is located in VB, not TD and that shadowleaper in Dragon’s Passage is actually a mordrem sniper!), I wouldn’t count out the possibility!

There’s also the point that you don’t need to solo EVERY HP in HoT. If your goal is simply to unlock the elite spec, you can pick your battles. I think the bigger issue for you was not knowing the maps. If you knew your way around you could hit the HPs that you feel comfortable with and avoid the tough ones. But bringing friends works just fine, too.

fix the HP system !

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

the current HP system in gw2 that requires players to join “HP trains” in order to gain Hero Points seems broken and unchallenging.

I haven’t joined a single “HP train” and got all the Hero Challenges I needed on nine characters (three of them even finished HoT maps 100%). You just do the ones soloable in the first three maps, and for the few non-soloable ones in Verdant Brink you open a LFG (you’ll always find 1-4 people who need them too, so…).

fix the HP system !

Amaimon.7823

Long story short, don’t fix what isn’t broken.
Most people have an easy time getting the necessary points.
For people who have trouble getting them all, there are Hage-Pee trains.
Result: system is working fine and as intended.

fix the HP system !

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

But only due to the excess from core. The average player is likely going to reach HoT with 30-60 points, so there’s just enough to comfortably unlock the elite solo. Just imagine what it would have been like if they stuck to their original plan and required 65 for the core unlocks and 400 for the elites.

The system will likely be changed, but only for the next expansion since they don’t have the resources to waste on HoT. With their new goal to run the living world and expansions back to back, they simply have no room for mistakes, like how they were forced to pull resources from the next expansion to fix HoT originally.

fix the HP system !

Amaimon.7823

But only due to the excess from core. The average player is likely going to reach HoT with 30-60 points, so there’s just enough to comfortably unlock the elite solo. Just imagine what it would have been like if they stuck to their original plan and required 65 for the core unlocks and 400 for the elites.

The system will likely be changed, but only for the next expansion since they don’t have the resources to waste on HoT. With their new goal to run the living world and expansions back to back, they simply have no room for mistakes, like how they were forced to pull resources from the next expansion to fix HoT originally.

I had no issue with that. I fully unlocked the elite spec on my main character before the count was heavily nerfed. My thought was “this is the challenge of the game” and not “this is the drag anet puts me through”. I guess I just grew up being told to sick it up and do as you’re told. But fair enough, I also had full map exploration on my main so I could do it within the given time. Considering I had 8 more characters to get to the cap I guess I’m glad too they nerfed it, since it might be harsh to repeat the big grind for 9 chars.

I wonder, though, I now still have so many spare points, can I almost instantly play the elite spec when the Crys- The Mysterious Next Expansion comes out, or will they increase the curve again to.. say.. 25?
Core 1/HP
HoT 10/HP
CD 25/HP

or will they stick with 10?

btw, just an idea on the top of my head,
what if the cost was low from the start, but had fixed brackets.
like.. enter VB to access the heal skill and the first traits
Complete VB to access the skill 1
Complete AB to access skill 1 and 2
complete TD to access skill 3 and elite skill
so you can’t have a complete elite spekittenil you enter DS by storyline.
That, or this other option:
there’s an instanced quest in each of the 3 zones that unlock the elite spec in 3 brackets. The instance is then tailored to the elite spec, so you get a bit of “how did we-”

(edited by Amaimon.7823)

fix the HP system !

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

It’s not a problem, and all but 1 or 2 can be Solo’d the only one I could not Solo was the champion arrowhead

I could do arrowhead, couldn’t do TD mushroom though.

fix the HP system !

Amaimon.7823

It’s not a problem, and all but 1 or 2 can be Solo’d the only one I could not Solo was the champion arrowhead

I could do arrowhead, couldn’t do TD mushroom though.

I agree on that one, but mushrooms are quaggan in general, I mean even regular ones makes me grind my teeth.
It was only on my mesmer I had no trouble killing it because I could pump out clones faster than he’d kill

fix the HP system !

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I wonder, though, I now still have so many spare points, can I almost instantly play the elite spec when the Crys- The Mysterious Next Expansion comes out, or will they increase the curve again to.. say.. 25?

That’s why they bloated hero points in HoT. They could have alternatively used expansion-specific points, but the problem in doing that is that they want your past progress to matter. It was essentially balanced so those with 100% completion would start 50% into their elites, but for those starting with nothing, it’s not fun when it takes nearly the entire expansion to unlock.

If they want to try it again, the next expansion’s elites will have to cost around 800 points, since HoT doubled the excess. Another problem was the excessive amount of challenges, so there’ll likely be fewer of them this time, like 20 at 40 points each. If they wanted to try and justify it again, they could do something like 100 points locked behind metas, rather than having actual hero challenges.

Another problem is how they’re unlocked. Due to the traits, you’re intentionally nerfing yourself for nearly the entire expansion if you want to use the new specs while actually playing through the content. Remember, is it fun? They’d probably be better off just giving you everything right at the start with an actual story. Traits should at least be unlocked first and within the first map, while utilities should be unlocked within the first half of the expansion and the elite around 75% through.

Why even have hero challenges when they’re just regular events? Why not just attach points to regular events in that case? The trick with group events is to have normal events leading up to them, that way solo players naturally gather together on their way. It was their original design behind events. Hero challenges should have been something special like adventures, as in phased solo content. They could have acted like tutorials and tested basic mechanics such as combos, rallying, avoidance, etc, which is something the game severely needs.