let's talk polearms.

let's talk polearms.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

upon finding the reclaimed staff and placing the skin on my daredevil’s staff, i noticed that it wasn’t a staff at all, but a halberd. I wonder what the chances are that polearms, a highly requested weapon, will make it to the game any time soon.

I hope spears make a debut even sooner. Their use on land is long overdue.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

let's talk polearms.

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

As skins or a weapon? Tryia is evolving forward not backwards. I think people miss that reality.

let's talk polearms.

Posted by: Kalliope.4751

Kalliope.4751

As skins or a weapon? Tryia is evolving forward not backwards. I think people miss that reality.

Next expansion should have grenades and hand cannons for everyone. Expansion after that should be fully automatic weapons, leading into a Call of Duty modern day Tyria. Complete with Doritos and Mountain Dew.

I think polearms would be a nice addition to a fantasy setting.

let's talk polearms.

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I think thief needs it as skin. It doesn’t look right bashing someone in with a staff….

staff skin Ideas:

Double Edge Sword
Bamboo Stick
Polearms
A Chain
Plank Of Wood

Surely there’s other ideas lol

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

let's talk polearms.

Justine.6351

Next expansion should have grenades and hand cannons for everyone. Expansion after that should be fully automatic weapons, leading into a Call of Duty modern day Tyria. Complete with Doritos and Mountain Dew.

I think polearms would be a nice addition to a fantasy setting.

While I obviously didn’t mean that extreme, can you think of any weapons to add to the game that are a little less primitive and not already covered? Staff/gs with additional polearm esque skins already can cover that if animation is appropriately created.

An example of something a little less primitive than what we have already would be maybe a crossbow type weapon, although that is already kinda covered with bow(s) and rifle(not so primitive).

let's talk polearms.

Justine.6351

I think thief needs it as skin. It doesn’t look right bashing someone in with a staff….

staff skin Ideas:

Double Edge Sword
Bamboo Stick
Polearms
A Chain
Plank Of Wood

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Pillar

That’s my take on a clearly melee staff. I use it on druid though cause it looks cool when carrying it around or put on back ;-)

let's talk polearms.

sephiroth.4217

staff skin Ideas:

Double Edge Sword
Bamboo Stick
Polearms
A Chain
Plank Of Wood

That’s my take on a clearly melee staff. I use it on druid though cause it looks cool when carrying it around or put on back ;-)

That actually looks really nice, it’s a shame we still have such limited options in terms of melee staff.

We are still early into HoT, so here’s to hoping.

….. And Elementalist.

let's talk polearms.

Justine.6351

staff skin Ideas:

Double Edge Sword
Bamboo Stick
Polearms
A Chain
Plank Of Wood

That actually looks really nice, it’s a shame we still have such limited options in terms of melee staff.

I looked through the staff gallery on wiki, there is actually quite a few that are halfway melee weapon esque and more than you might think that are clearly melee styled.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legionnaire_Staff
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mistforged_Hero%27s_Staff

When looking at staff in gw2 people are so used to thinking caster weapon that even the ones that are clearly deadly in a physical sense are seen for their caster stylishness like the most forged one. The entire head of the staff is a giant blade.

let's talk polearms.

sephiroth.4217

staff skin Ideas:

Double Edge Sword
Bamboo Stick
Polearms
A Chain
Plank Of Wood

I looked through the staff gallery on wiki, there is actually quite a few that are halfway melee weapon esque and more than you might think that are clearly melee styled.

When looking at staff in gw2 people are so used to thinking caster weapon that even the ones that are clearly deadly in a physical sense are seen for their caster stylishness like the most forged one. The entire head of the staff is a giant blade.

Ok well I guess we’ll just stick with the skins we have, I’m not opposed to more skins how ever.

….. And Elementalist.

let's talk polearms.

Posted by: CD673141-975B-42E9-8500-F0FEFF861A7D

CD673141-975B-42E9-8500-F0FEFF861A7D

let's talk polearms.

Justine.6351

staff skin Ideas:

Double Edge Sword
Bamboo Stick
Polearms
A Chain
Plank Of Wood

Ok well I guess we’ll just stick with the skins we have, I’m not opposed to more skins how ever.

And yet another person suggesting a stupid level of extreme out of me.

let's talk polearms.

Posted by: MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

I’m holding out for nukes. Them dragons will be easy pick’uns with nuclear weapons.

let's talk polearms.

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

let's talk polearms.

sephiroth.4217

staff skin Ideas:

Double Edge Sword
Bamboo Stick
Polearms
A Chain
Plank Of Wood

And yet another person suggesting a stupid level of extreme out of me.

These forums are extreme, it’s hard to decipher peoples intentions sometimes.

….. And Elementalist.

let's talk polearms.

Posted by: Nexterror.7180

Nexterror.7180

no staff actually fit the daredevil theme atm. blades on daredevil? srsly? butterflies on necro would seem much more appropriate.

let's talk polearms.

Justine.6351

no staff actually fit the daredevil theme atm. blades on daredevil? srsly? butterflies on necro would seem much more appropriate.

There are staves that look to be for bludgeoning if that is what you mean?
If you mean just a simple pole, well there is only so many ways to make a stick.

let's talk polearms.

Posted by: Firelysm.8190

Firelysm.8190

Two handed axes or crossbow would be amazing! [NEW WEAPONS TYPE PLS]

let's talk polearms.

Posted by: Lumpy.8760

Lumpy.8760

overdue.

oh the entitlement

let's talk polearms.

Posted by: Arkanthor.2307

Arkanthor.2307

I would love if they added trident and spear skins to the staff skin gallery. Melee tridents would be awesome.
Also I would love to be able to use mirage as a mesmer staff

Thanks to my illusions this combat is nothing but a stage scene.
You should prepare for your great finale.

let's talk polearms.

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

Crossbows are unlikely because they are rendered obsolete by pistols and rifles.
However, Polearms were one of the last old world weapons to completely leave usage. I think they deserve some love in this game.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

let's talk polearms.

Lightsbane.9012

Crossbows are unlikely because they are rendered obsolete by pistols and rifles.
However, Polearms were one of the last old world weapons to completely leave usage. I think they deserve some love in this game.

longbows were not rendered obsolete by pistols and rifles.

let's talk polearms.

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

That is correct. At least until rifling and cartridge ammunition is developed.

I’d dearly love to see spears on land, 1h for guardian and 2h for Ranger.

let's talk polearms.

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

While I obviously didn’t mean that extreme, can you think of any weapons to add to the game that are a little less primitive and not already covered? Staff/gs with additional polearm esque skins already can cover that if animation is appropriately created.

An example of something a little less primitive than what we have already would be maybe a crossbow type weapon, although that is already kinda covered with bow(s) and rifle(not so primitive).

Spears aren’t “primitive”, when compared to other pre-modern-era weaponry. While they were one of the earliest weapons of man-kind, they remained a prolific weapon, from peasant-use to elite military, up until the end of the era where such weapons were used.
Heck, there was even some spear use as late as WW1.
Additionally, they saw improvements and changes throughout the ages. Just because they were introduce early in history doesn’t mean they remained in a static state ever since.
Any “swords and bows”-type environment is an environment that is ripe for spear-use as well.
Your idea on how weapons “evolve” is just flawed. Weapon use is somewhat comparable to a video-game’s meta. What is commonly used, for what reasons, and how it is countered, are primary factors that come into play. It doesn’t matter if the crossbow is “less primitive” then a bow. The bow has certain characteristics that may make it a favorable choice in a given circumstance. Being “primitive” be kitten ed, so long as it is effective, it’s a candidate for use. Bladed weapons are still actively used in modern military, regardless of how “primitive” they are sitting next to firearms.

I also don’t see how you can suggest crossbows as a “more evolved weapon” in the same paragraph that you recognize the existence of firearms in GW2… Which brings me to another point, it’s a fantasy video game. Swords can be more powerful than automatic riffles, and nobody would bat an eye. Yet somehow spears are “too primitive”?

Also, spears are not already covered (on land, which is the only relevant space to talk about in GW2), staff and GS are in no way adequate substitutes. That’d be like saying “we have daggers, so we don’t need axes”.

let's talk polearms.

Lightsbane.9012

i was talking purely in the realm of Tyria. Let’s keep it to just ‘spears’ at this point, it’s most likely that existing spear models will come to land rather than multiple versions.

let's talk polearms.

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

i was talking purely in the realm of Tyria. Let’s keep it to just ‘spears’ at this point, it’s most likely that existing spear models will come to land rather than multiple versions.

You would just use the same models.