linseed oil requirements are way too high

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Syraxis Windrunner.1973

Syraxis Windrunner.1973

I decided I wanted to craft a new set of exotic wanderer’s armor. I worked to get all of the recipes, and once I had them, I found you need 60 linseed oil to craft a full set of oiled pieces to make the exotic armor. which means I need 1200 flax seeds just to make a set of armor with exotic stats.

I feel like I have no choice but to park every character I have at the flax farm and do nothing but farm flax, so I can have the armor.

I get that flax is the new hotness, and we need flax for everything, but can we maybe ease up a little bit on it, so that this doesnt become guild farms 2: the flax chronicles?

Posted by: kylania.6924

kylania.6924

It’s really up to you if that little bit of extra boon duration (and slightly different other stats) is worth all that flax seed over a Soldier’s Emblazoned Coat I guess?

My guess is that it’s not worth your time and stress.

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

Its just not there. Most new crafting recipes are requiring insanely (or maybe inanely) high ammounts of materials.
Sandpaper requires 20 sand, which not only is random at DT and SW, it requires you to grind events. Let me remind you its 10 silky sands per. And the game requires 20 per sandpaper. And it also requires 5 sandpapers for a finishing kit (the item used for most decorations). So yes, Scribe is only for the extremely rich, or backed by an entire HUGE guild, which then defeats the fact that its a PERSONAL profession.

Its so harsh, that even the wiki only has recipes for like the first 3 tiers of the profession.

Legendary (or precursor) crafting is also incredibly expensive, to the point where, even discounting the time sink, the items can become more expensive than buying straight out of the TP.

Add that to most stuff required for guilds (like kegs and mugs) and you just get the feel that the dev that made up those recipes is totally out of touch with the game.

(edited by ReaverKane.7598)

Posted by: nobleroar.2078

nobleroar.2078

welcome to farm wars 2 where people will be managing excel sheets tracking material counts, TP flipping to get more mats and parking alts at gathering nodes for more mats and then you proceed to playing the game.

But yes, I agree on that the numbers are on the high side and its keeping players away.

Jade Quarry
Mesmer | Night

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Yah, the linseed oil requirements for simple exotic gear are pretty insane. Requiring over a thousand of a single material for one set of armor is just way overboard. I really don’t understand the reasoning for it at all. Even if Flax was dirt cheap on the TP (which god knows its not, and likely won’t be for quite some time if it ever is considering how much of it guilds are going to be consuming at a constant rate), the sheer numbers are just off the charts.

I mean, I get the guild hall requirements in terms of Flax / Linseed, as those are meant to be long-term goals for groups of players. Doesn’t necessarily mean I agree with them being quite so high, but at least it makes some amount of sense to me.

But the individual gear… that I don’t really understand. They already have ascended gear for high level, expensive and time gated crafting goals. And raids are going to encourage more players to look into crafting those. Exotics are supposed to be the cheap, “easily accessible to all” alternative. But in the case of the new combos, they’re anything but.

Unfortunately, at this point its not going to change. I can’t recall a single instance of Anet ever adjusting a recipes’ crafting materials after release, probably for fear of backlash from people who actually went and crafted said materials at their original insane price. Zealot’s gear is in a similar boat of being off-the-charts silly to craft compared to anything else, and that’s remained as such for something like 8 months now if I’m not mistaken. So sadly, I think we’re stuck with these

Posted by: Bhima.9518

Bhima.9518

I decided I wanted to craft a new set of exotic wanderer’s armor. I worked to get all of the recipes, and once I had them, I found you need 60 linseed oil to craft a full set of oiled pieces to make the exotic armor. which means I need 1200 flax seeds just to make a set of armor with exotic stats.

I feel like I have no choice but to park every character I have at the flax farm and do nothing but farm flax, so I can have the armor.

I get that flax is the new hotness, and we need flax for everything, but can we maybe ease up a little bit on it, so that this doesnt become guild farms 2: the flax chronicles?

Yes, the material requirements for some exotic stat distributions are ridiculous. Another big offender is Zealot’s. You need 3,000 watchwork sprockets to make a full zealots armor, or purchase the Watchwork Mechanisms on the TP. Each mechanism is 18g50… multiply that by 6 and, not even including the other material costs, you are looking at over 111g for this exotic armor. Absolutely ridiculous.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

We’re looking at items that only just came out three weeks ago. Prices have fallen since then and will continue to do so until there’s no incentive for players to directly farm them. Demand for the flax seeds may all decrease over time as guilds have acquired what they need. Same goes for players as well.

I would personally wait until the beginning of next year before claiming that the current requirements are too high. I can assure you that Anet was looking at the long term when deciding upon the requirements.

Edit: typos

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Odyssey.6523

Odyssey.6523

You are already starting to see this. Flax started at 40s the day HoT came out. The next few days it lingered around 20s until the dev’s leaked the farm underneat Jaka Itzel wp and cued people to check their achievements for the 10 linseed oil reward. Since then players have been farming like crazy. Today I saw flax hit 4s which is an all time low from what I’ve noticed. Mean while many guilds are pressing through the Tavern and Workshop building upgrades which combined =20,000 flax or almost half of the total flax requirement for guild halls. Additionally, individual players are losing luster on Nightfury as a “give me now” item, while the persistence of others has led them to finish crafting it. Demand is reducing, supply is rapidly increasing. Flax will be down to 1s by the end of the year, I’m sure.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

You are already starting to see this. Flax started at 40s the day HoT came out. The next few days it lingered around 20s until the dev’s leaked the farm underneat Jaka Itzel wp and cued people to check their achievements for the 10 linseed oil reward. Since then players have been farming like crazy. Today I saw flax hit 4s which is an all time low from what I’ve noticed. Mean while many guilds are pressing through the Tavern and Workshop building upgrades which combined =20,000 flax or almost half of the total flax requirement for guild halls. Additionally, individual players are losing luster on Nightfury as a “give me now” item, while the persistence of others has led them to finish crafting it. Demand is reducing, supply is rapidly increasing. Flax will be down to 1s by the end of the year, I’m sure.

You’re probably right, though to play devil’s advocate: 1s per Flax still isn’t exactly cheap. As far as I can tell, all oiled crafting components require 5 vials of linseed oil and you need two components for each item you craft.

So that’s 100 Flax x 2, or 2 gold to make a set of components (not counting the insignia). If we compare that to other components, most of them don’t even run you 1 gold for a set of two. The highest I can think of is making two ori greatsword components, which will cost you around 60-70s if you pay full price on the TP.

That’s not even counting the milling stones, milling basin, and on oiled greatsword components, ori as well.

For the use of these components in making Auric weapons, it kinda make sense, the cost. For use in average exotic weapons with some fancy stats, it doesn’t make a lot imo.

What we’re looking at currently is a situation where the sell prices of Flax and Milling Stones have to plummet almost to the point of being valueless before the cost is in line with other crafted exotics. Which seems counter-intuitive, since they are all about taking steps to prevent mats from becoming valueless and they’ve added several new stats to the game in support of moving away from total zerker meta.

Or words to that effect.

Ayrilana.1396

Why do they need to be in line with other exotics?

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

They don’t need to, but it’s not exactly in support of moving away from total zerker meta to have the new stats be significantly more costly.

The question is, do they care about expanding the meta beyond zerker or are they just pandering to complaints that not enough viable stats exist?

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

Because they are still exotics, not even named exotics, sure they have slightly more total stats (at the cost of a less focused build), but they’re still exotic armor. And its not just that. Scribbing which is still an individual crafting profession REQUIRES a guild behind a single player. Now given how guilds are made to be volatile in terms of membership (specially because you can represent 5 at once), you get a situation where you might have a whole guild backing up one guy, and that guy simply deciding to go over for another one for whatever reason, or simply quitting. If it requires a guild’s effort it SHOULD NOT be a personal crafting.

Ayrilana.1396

Because they are still exotics, not even named exotics, sure they have slightly more total stats (at the cost of a less focused build), but they’re still exotic armor. And its not just that. Scribbing which is still an individual crafting profession REQUIRES a guild behind a single player. Now given how guilds are made to be volatile in terms of membership (specially because you can represent 5 at once), you get a situation where you might have a whole guild backing up one guy, and that guy simply deciding to go over for another one for whatever reason, or simply quitting. If it requires a guild’s effort it SHOULD NOT be a personal crafting.

Rarity doesn’t matter and recipes do not need to be pigeon-holed to specific recipe formats because of it.

Guild membership has not been made to be any more volatile than it was before the expansion. Of course scribing requires support from your guild as it’s function is to support your guild.

Posted by: Jack.1469

Jack.1469

No it isn’t, stop trying to undermine us lazy linseed farmers! :P