max Elite spec before doing heart of thorns

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: SenRyo.6291

SenRyo.6291

so i just got to max level for the first time and have unlocked my elite spec, is it alright to max it out before i do heart of thorns content ?

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

The amount of Hero Points needed to fully unlock all traits within the elite spec line totaled over 200 points (250 total I believe).

You can certainly do hero challenges in core Tyria to get those HP points, BUT please note that HPs in core Tyria grant 1 HP point/Per, while HPs in HOT maps grant 10 HP pts /per.

If it’s a plain question of whether you can do it in core Tyria, then yes you can, but in HOT, you can do it quicker.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

Posted by: Tornupto.2304

Tornupto.2304

You will have to do some HPs in HoT-areas as the elite specs need 250 points and you can only gather ~200 for it in core tyria.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

You will have to do some HPs in HoT-areas as the elite specs need 250 points and you can only gather ~200 for it in core tyria.

This. Core world completion awards 189 points. There are 13 in the WvW maps, 5 in Dry Top, 6 in Silverwastes. That’s a total of 212, which would mean you’d need to do 4 challenges in HoT to complete an elite spec.

Posted by: Valiant.5078

Valiant.5078

I timed myself before, and by all means I wasn’t being super optimal about it. But it took around 3 hours to unlock my elite spec on one character finishing the HoT hero points. If you do Tyria, it’ll take sooo much longer.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

If you’re into WvW, there’s always the option to go the proof of heroics route for hero points. I know one of my daughters, who is heavily into WvW but hasn’t set foot into HoT beyond the entrance to VB, has each new character’s elite spec unlocked in a matter of minutes because she’s got so many tomes of knowledge and proofs of heroics saved that she hardly knows what else to do with it .

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Old topic, and they didn’t change it. But you can max. in about 2-3h by doing a HP train (or solo if you are good).

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Michael.9403

Michael.9403

It is not difficult to finish your Elite in HoT. I have 9 Elites, one for each class, and all required HP from HoT to finish. My “Been There Done That” character, completed back when the WvW maps were mandatory, still needed 37 HP to finish. My least developed player needed 147 HP. All got them in HoT, and mostly by solo.

You’ll find of the 11 opportunities for 10HP each in the first zone (VB), 7 can be soloed as long as you can fly. Pushing down into the next 3 zones, about half in each zone can be soloed. None of mine had to get deep into zone 3 to finish.

Further, many of the tough HP chances (really tough champions) are so frequently done that you can just ad hoc them when you arrive. Start the fight and stay alive long enough and many will join just for the fight chest, even if they have the HP.

Far more important than getting to Elite once you are at 80 is getting into good gear. Full Exotic is a minimum and if you’ve done any laurel acquisition, you should be on your way to Ascended jewelry. That why you are geared enough to compete in HoT as you grow to elite.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Full Verdant Brink + Auric Basin should net you about 80-90% of the progress. usually when I fully mapped those two I need 2 or so more points for the finishing touches.

But you don’t need to be a full fledges elite spec at the get go. Just build it up as you get along. There’s no hurry, there’s no rush. Just play at your pace and the points will come.

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

Full Verdant Brink + Auric Basin should net you about 80-90% of the progress. usually when I fully mapped those two I need 2 or so more points for the finishing touches.

But you don’t need to be a full fledges elite spec at the get go. Just build it up as you get along. There’s no hurry, there’s no rush. Just play at your pace and the points will come.

The problem is people have the normal specs already and had them all through the old world Tyria…most wanted to jump straight into HoT with the elite spec. It is rather annoying you have to earn it after the fact IMO.

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

The problem is people have the normal specs already and had them all through the old world Tyria…most wanted to jump straight into HoT with the elite spec. It is rather annoying you have to earn it after the fact IMO.

Isn’t that like, in an MMO which raises the level cap with each expansion, expecting to jump in with 10 extra levels overnight? I mean, the initial HP requirements for elite specs were so onerous that you’d have long completed the content before fully unlocking your elite. But the current approach seems about right.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam