mentor tag?

mentor tag?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I was a few minutes late but did I hear right? What is the deal, is it a mastery or automatic or what?

Too bad I did not know this was coming before buying a commander tag as that is what I use it for.

mentor tag?

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

It will be a mastry. Personally I hope we can disable these from the map as everyone is going to be using it

mentor tag?

Menadena.7482

I am not sure. So many people have commander tags and those are seen as a bigger status symbol.

mentor tag?

Posted by: dsslive.8473

dsslive.8473

It’s part of the pact commander mastery line. You can turn it on and off whenever you need it.

Depends on whether you use the squad chat, coze the mentor tag won’t have that, but otherwise i guess they’re pretty similar ye

mentor tag?

Menadena.7482

I never use squad chat. Either the people following me are new players who do not know about squads or I just have it on to show I am helping organize an event that is being set up.

mentor tag?

Posted by: DarkMagister.7429

DarkMagister.7429

I wonder, what have I spent 300g for yesterday?

If ANet have added this feature, maybe commanders should’ve become cheaper?

Add: or maybe make it usable in HoT maps only?

(edited by DarkMagister.7429)

mentor tag?

Posted by: Amraston.2846

Amraston.2846

Add: or maybe make it usable in HoT maps only?

The mentor tag is meant to mark you as experienced player newcomers to the game can ask stuff. Would completely destroy the purpose.

mentor tag?

DarkMagister.7429

Right now it destroys the purpose of a Commander tag – the purpose of showing “the organized group is here”

mentor tag?

Posted by: MeveM.7913

MeveM.7913

I completely agree. Why have i spent 300 gold on a tag you can get for free? Just because anet means for the mentor tag to be used one way does not meam thats whats going to happen. In effect its a free commander tag. “Legendary wyvern on mentor tag”.

Wvw zerg on mentor tag.

mentor tag?

Posted by: lavvyan.3971

lavvyan.3971

The mentor tag is already being trolled, too. It’s rather pointless at this stage.

mentor tag?

Posted by: AzureSky.3175

AzureSky.3175

Right now it destroys the purpose of a Commander tag – the purpose of showing “the organized group is here”

Every Commander Tag that does not lead an organized group destroys this purpose as well, since people will then see two Commander Tags on the map and don’t know where the action is going on. That is a problem with all sorts of tags, and Mentor Tags are not responsible for this.
And why should a Mentor not lead an organized PvE-group as well?

Commander Tags were made for WvW, forming squads and the supply commands in the first place. Mentor Tags aren’t good for any of that.
I can’t feel sorry for anyone who spent 300g just to put a pink marker on a PvE map.

mentor tag?

DarkMagister.7429

A player had to consider paying 300g for the tag, which makes it less possible an ignorant player is carrying it, breaking the fun for the whole map. I can’t say this about the mentor tag.

I spent my 300g to have fun in the event labyrinth, not wait for hours for someone to lead.

mentor tag?

AzureSky.3175

A player had to consider paying 300g for the tag, which makes it less possible an ignorant player is carrying it, breaking the fun for the whole map.

I absolutely disagree. I’ve seen too many ignorant, useless or trolling people with commander tags.
Half of the playerbase and their kittens already have a commander tag anyway, they bought it back then right before the price was changed from 100g to 300g, just because it was still cheap.
The number of mentors ‘misusing’ their tags is probably not even the slightest bit higher than the number of commanders ‘misusing’ their tags.

mentor tag?

DarkMagister.7429

It’s been just two days since the release. Believe me, you will see them enough.

Still question stands: what for did people pay gold for tags?

mentor tag?

AzureSky.3175

For leading zergs in WvW, forming squads and for the supply commands.

mentor tag?

Posted by: Geneticide.6987

Geneticide.6987

A player had to consider paying 300g for the tag, which makes it less possible an ignorant player is carrying it, breaking the fun for the whole map.

I absolutely disagree. I’ve seen too many ignorant, useless or trolling people with commander tags.
Half of the playerbase and their kittens already have a commander tag anyway, they bought it back then right before the price was changed from 100g to 300g, just because it was still cheap.
The number of mentors ‘misusing’ their tags is probably not even the slightest bit higher than the number of commanders ‘misusing’ their tags.

Poor point, as HoT is brand new. With a bit of time, “half the playerbase and their kittens” will be trolling around the exact same way with their new FREE commander tag.

mentor tag?

Posted by: MeveM.7913

MeveM.7913

That does not answer the question. Do you not understand that you can do the exact same with a Mentor tag, for free.

mentor tag?

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

That does not answer the question. Do you not understand that you can do the exact same with a Mentor tag, for free.

If I remember right pact commander is only pve so the wvw stuff is actualy a valid reason to pay for commander tag

mentor tag?

AzureSky.3175

I did not unlock the mentor tag yet, so I’m not 100% sure, but can you really use it to form squads and check supplies? I didn’t know about that, and if this is true then it really is the same as a commander tag.

mentor tag?

DarkMagister.7429

“but can you really use it to form squads and check supplies”
I don’t think you can, but when following commanders I have actually never used any of this features. Commander tag is seen on map and you know, that best way to grind – is to follow it. In this function the mentor tag is the same.

And not so many days passed, and I have already just seen people referring to it as “idiot hat” at Tequatl, for standing in the wrong place. 4 commanders + 2 idiot hats. When there will be 10 hats – it will be hard to navigate.

mentor tag?

Posted by: Elezen.2809

Elezen.2809

how can we obtain that mentor tag anyway? found this pretty usefull in the labyrinth and id like to use one when there no one to “lead” the group

mentor tag?

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

how can we obtain that mentor tag anyway? found this pretty usefull in the labyrinth and id like to use one when there no one to “lead” the group

get your Pact Commander Mastery : http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pact_Tyria_mastery_track#Pact_Commander_Mastery

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

mentor tag?

AzureSky.3175

I don’t think you can, but when following commanders I have actually never used any of this features. Commander tag is seen on map and you know, that best way to grind – is to follow it. In this function the mentor tag is the same.

Those are the key features of commander tags though. Commander tags were created mainly with WvW in mind, and in WvW the commander tag is clearly superior to the mentor tag. I don’t think that anyone would spend 300g only to be a blue marker on a PvE map.

And not so many days passed, and I have already just seen people referring to it as “idiot hat” at Tequatl, for standing in the wrong place. 4 commanders + 2 idiot hats. When there will be 10 hats – it will be hard to navigate.

But seriously, the exact same thing happens with commanders all the time. 4 commanders that know what to do, 2 commanders in the wrong place, and a flood of complaints in map chat.

mentor tag?

Menadena.7482

Until the mentor tag we had no real equivalent in PVE. Sometimes it is ‘hey, boss, over here’ other times it is ‘person you MIGHT want to listen to in the event over here’.

Of course, there is nothing to stop people from tagging up just because they can. I would encourage responsible use (ie, tagging up if it benefits the map/group then tagging down at the end).

mentor tag?

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

Seems to me there’s no need for it to display on the minimap at all. It’d be easier to add a list of mentors to an existing UI (LFG panel for instance) for people who need help to reference and leave the tag above their heads in-game, but why on earth does everyone in a map need to know where a mentor is?

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

mentor tag?

Menadena.7482

Look at the primary target audience: new players. It is much easier to /map chat to find the yellow triangle or a mentor tag then giving an update every 10 minutes of where you are.

mentor tag?

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Pretty much any tag on a player in a PVE map just means “zerg here”. The amusing thing is that the tagged player does not even need to be very skilled or knowledgeable on most maps. They just act as a magnet for players of all ability because there is safety in numbers. I’ve even seen a Silverwastes chest run led by someone who did not know most of the locations. It still worked because the players that did know the locations ran ahead. Zerg it, baby, zerg it.

However, I can have some sympathy for anyone who has shelled out for the expensive tag recently but those tags will probably retain most of their status.

mentor tag?

Posted by: Luminoxic.5812

Luminoxic.5812

I personally believe that too many people are abusing the Mentor Tag system. It would be greatly help if ANet were to make it more difficult to obtain, for example adding it to the last tier of the Pact Commander Mastery line, instead of being in the first tier.

mentor tag?

Posted by: torgar.4015

torgar.4015

I disagree with the above comment, I believe now the mentor tag has been with us a while the novelty has warn off. For example last night myself using a mentor tag + another mentor and 2 commander tags completed an Auric Basin map, (ik its not the hardest map in the world). And again yesterday I was in a dragon stand map, (successful) and that had a 50/50 spilt commander to mentor. Yes there are some people that troll, but for the most part it is a good thing imo.

mentor tag?

Posted by: Kusaku.9056

Kusaku.9056

I think mentor tag is fine but should be unlocked at Advanced Logistics level and not mastery level 1.
I also think commanders should get [Comm] infront of there name in chat cause thats a handy feature that would benifit wvw.

mentor tag?

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

Since it’s so common people aren’t using it to show off, and are only using it for being useful. I haven’t seen anybody use it in a negative manner any more than the (far more plentiful) commander tags.

Besides, the mentor tag can’t be used in WvW. The Commander tag’s purpose is that it’s useful across both PvE and WvW as well as using additional squad-related abilities and supply information.

mentor tag?

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

The only time I’ve seen more than one or two tags on a map was when someone demanded in map chat that they turn off the “NOOB TAG”.
That resulted in quite a few extra tags being turned on for a short while. I probably found that funnier than the complainant.

The tags are fine as they are.

mentor tag?

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

Why not give the option of selling back your commander tag now that tags are free.

(edited by Shen Slayer.3058)

mentor tag?

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

The only time I’ve seen more than one or two tags on a map was when someone demanded in map chat that they turn off the “NOOB TAG”.
That resulted in quite a few extra tags being turned on for a short while. I probably found that funnier than the complainant.

The tags are fine as they are.

HA! This gave me a bit of a chuckle and i saw the exact same thing happen once at Teq . the salt was real that day . As for the tag itself i have no problem with it since it doesnt have any of the extra features a Commander tag does . It also works well for when there is no commander in a zone and you need to organize for a meta event .