staff revenant

staff revenant

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Elendil.2385

Elendil.2385

in the trailer you see Rytlock wacking some mob with a staff ..
but what good would that be . I mean staffs are used for casting not hitting.
although hitting things with a stick could be fun i’m hoping it is a polearm XD.
but then again Anet said they won’t be adding new weapons. So what do you guys think?

staff revenant

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Gandalf, Saruman and Donatello hit people with their staves.

Bro, do you even staff?

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

staff revenant

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

Shot to the nuts, then a head whack with knockdown. I’d say Rytlock has is own approach to “casting magic with staff”. Looks quite effective;)

staff revenant

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

In real life, people were using staves to hit people long before they were using them to cast spells.

staff revenant

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Its kitten hammer. Stop with that nonsense called staff already.

staff revenant

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

It looks way more like a staff than like a hammer to me (to be fair, it looks like a polearm even more but we know that’s not going to happen).

staff revenant

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

hammers don’t tend to be pointy sticks.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

staff revenant

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Staves are really a nasty weapon in the right hands. There is an old Chinese story of the greatest swordsman in all the lands who only lost one fight, and that was to a vagabond wielding a quarterstaff.

I’ve wanted a melee staff for a long time, so I’m very happy to see it coming.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

staff revenant

Scoobaniec.9561

It looks way more like a staff than like a hammer to me (to be fair, it looks like a polearm even more but we know that’s not going to happen).

Why i am saying it cannot be staff;

-Its too short to be a staff
-The animations looks too heavy to be a staff.
-Many staff skins would look weird with that fighting combat
-Make a charr warrior, equip hammer and compare animations

staff revenant

BrunoBRS.5178

animations mean nothing, there are a bunch of cross-weapon recycled animations.

staff revenant

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

see when i think staff weapon, i hope for a fighting style like Darth Maul. expecting too much?

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

staff revenant

Scoobaniec.9561

So for you it makes sense to be a staff and not a hammer? And outside of that, 2 points still stands. Also the sound effects..its screams to be a blunt weapon

staff revenant

Posted by: Getefix.9150

Getefix.9150

staff not used for hitting huh?

“Nothing is true, Everything is permitted”

Kiel Replacement Movement

staff revenant

Scoobaniec.9561

Good. Now take a look how fast and agile he is. And what do you see in trailer? Slow moo.. I know ppl dreams about staff for some weird reason, but that one in the trailer is a hammer.

staff revenant

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

In real life, people were using staves to hit people long before they were using them to cast spells.

Good one.

staff revenant

Getefix.9150

Good. Now take a look how fast and agile he is. And what do you see in trailer? Slow moo.. I know ppl dreams about staff for some weird reason, but that one in the trailer is a hammer.

there are still styles where the staff is held at one end instead of the middle, this makes for slower, more powerful attacks

im not saying its definitely a staff but you shouldnt say it definitely isnt after one tiny clip

staff revenant

Scoobaniec.9561

But theres one thing still..Its too small to be a staff. Time will tell. I will go cry in corner if it happen to be a staff, but if it happen to be a hammer i will be laughing at anyone who were saying it was a staff. Seems fair enough

staff revenant

BrunoBRS.5178

So for you it makes sense to be a staff and not a hammer? And outside of that, 2 points still stands. Also the sound effects..its screams to be a blunt weapon

makes more sense to be a staff than a hammer, that’s for sure. it looks like a kitten spear, but since those are not coming, my current bet is on staff.

staves are blunt weapons, though i agree quite a few skins just look too flimsy. but then again, we have some preposterous-looking swords that look more like paddles than cutting weapons (i’m looking at you, vigil)

staff revenant

Getefix.9150

arent hammers bigger than staves? :P

just like my view on religion – I dont think we should jump to conclusions either way on whether its a staff or hammer – the clip was like what? 1, 2 seconds long? thats not enough time to get a proper glimpse (when i started kung foo (for some reason I’m not allowed to spell that correctly) I was given a staff that was half my height so size is irrelevant) heck, even umbrellas are deadly if used properly

(3:13)

(edited by Getefix.9150)

staff revenant

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

O gawd.

Some say it’s a spear
Some say it’s a staff
Some say it’s a hammer
Some say it’s a polearm
Some say it’s a sword

Would be nice for Anet to get all this speculation and bickering over with and confirm to us just wtf it is >_<

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

staff revenant

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Need more Bo staff combat.

Brb,
1- Whack
2- Sweep ~ knockdowns
3- WTF twirling ~ Blocks attacks
4 – Smack em in the face ~ More damage and daze
5 – Jingu Bang Sun Wukong style ~ Kill everyone on the map with giant staff.

Perfect moveset.

The great forum duppy.

staff revenant

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Didn’t we clear this up already? So many threads… It was the art team messing around and we were confirmed that it wasn’t a polearm.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

staff revenant

Getefix.9150

so apparently it wasnt too short – looks like a staff to me though it is possible its the art team – he DOES have a sheathed sword too

Attachments:

staff revenant

Scoobaniec.9561

For me it looks like spear.. but still it doesnt fit staff combat style. I would like to know when they reveal info about him.

ps art team = trolls.

Almost forgot..juggernaut looks like a staff (for me at least) yet it is a hammer.

(edited by Scoobaniec.9561)

staff revenant

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

yea to small to be a staff you said then afew posts later you switch from it being a hammer to a spear….

I agree with the second to the first its not to small to be a staff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a8HgPldKJk

staff revenant

Scoobaniec.9561

yea to small to be a staff you said then afew posts later you switch from it being a hammer to a spear….

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

staff revenant

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

yea and there is a reason people do /sarcasm on at begining or /sarcasm off at end of their posts.
That reason is becouse its really hard to convey when your being sarcastic through text.

staff revenant

Posted by: Malthurius.6870

Malthurius.6870

It’s probably just an NPC unique weapon at most; like nightmare court using whips, Mai Trin using a rapier, or Horric using a cannon.

I don’t think they would re-purpose staves for melee use when they have a slew of spear skins that could easily be re-purposed for land and make more sense for this type of combat instead.

Have a look through your wardrobe in game at the staves in the game. Some of them look like they might be decent at being used as a melee weapon, but some would be ridiculous. Look through the spear skins in the game; nearly all of them would fit these animations perfectly; except for the legendary spear oddly enough… no place to really grip that thing…

staff revenant

Posted by: Skystalker.2758

Skystalker.2758

I can see two sides to this. On one hand, every class has both melee and ranged weapon options. The staff could simply be a ranged weapon for pulling, DPS while staying out of aoe ETC. On the other hand, the staff could be used as a melee weapon either like a bowstaff or it could have an ethereal scythe blade shoot out the end like necro staves but would be used like a scythe instead of just being cosmetic (I’m really hoping for this one)

staff revenant

Getefix.9150

It’s probably just an NPC unique weapon at most; like nightmare court using whips, Mai Trin using a rapier, or Horric using a cannon.

I don’t think they would re-purpose staves for melee use when they have a slew of spear skins that could easily be re-purposed for land and make more sense for this type of combat instead.

Have a look through your wardrobe in game at the staves in the game. Some of them look like they might be decent at being used as a melee weapon, but some would be ridiculous. Look through the spear skins in the game; nearly all of them would fit these animations perfectly; except for the legendary spear oddly enough… no place to really grip that thing…

but spears are aquatic and staves arent….

staff revenant

Posted by: Gotz.1930

Gotz.1930

if axes, greatswords and daggers can be used as ranged weapons by casters I don’t see why a staff can’t be used in melee.

staff revenant

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Hey whats some examples on ingame whips other than ele?

staff revenant

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

Hey whats some examples on ingame whips other than ele?

The nightmare court.

staff revenant

Posted by: Malthurius.6870

Malthurius.6870

but spears are aquatic and staves arent….

Yeah, and staves aren’t melee… what’s your point?

I’m no programmer, but I don’t think it would be that difficult to turn spears into an amphibious weapon type. It makes more sense for them to use assets already in the game that are actually polearms than to shoehorn staves into that weapon type, especially when a lot of staves aren’t designed to be swung over someone’s head.

But this was a “matter of fact” after my initial point… being that we’re probably not getting either melee staves or land spears and Rytlock is just showcasing something that’s been happening with NPCs for a while in that they can use weapons we as player characters can’t… anything could happen though I suppose.

staff revenant

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

I’ll leave this here for you folks that staff is ‘weak’

http://ejmas.com/jwma/articles/2001/jwmaart_docherty_0501.htm

In particular I call attention to:
“The quarterstaff was, and is an extremely versatile weapon, it can be used as freely as the staff man wishes to use it. When used to strike or hit it is like a sword or battle axe, when used to thrust it becomes like a spear, strikes and thrusts can be from either side of the body. This makes it very difficult for any opponent to respond quickly to these attacks, that can change so readily from side to side, and from thrust to strike without pause.”

carry on.

staff revenant

Posted by: Kurohanafuyu.9160

Kurohanafuyu.9160

I really wonder how people actually can say it’s too short to be a staff. We never really saw it’s actual length, since the ends pointed forwards and backwards, making the “length” we saw appear shorter than it actually is, just by playing with optics.

staff revenant

Posted by: xXLuggXx.4018

xXLuggXx.4018

I would like the idea of a Bo-Staff in Melee (and Ranged ?).

But it could also be a Hammer with a new style. Just as there are swords which don’t look like swords or staves wich look like a scythe. So it is possible that there will be Hammers that look more like Spears/polearmes etc.

I’m not very familiar with the Hammer animations of a Guardian and a warroir, but looking at the pic of Rytlocks weapon I could imagine heavy “hammer-stylish” attacks so it wouldn’t destroy the playstyle of current Hammer users? (Exept engineer spec)

So if not a staff used for meelee…maybe just a cosmetical change of Hammers?

staff revenant

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

Gandalf, Saruman and Donatello hit people with their staves.

Bro, do you even staff?

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

staff revenant

Posted by: SenorMoody.5908

SenorMoody.5908

lol in Real Life? umm… Im pretty sure no one can cast spells in Real Life.

Wish it, Want it, Do it!

staff revenant

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

That was the joke.

staff revenant

Posted by: xXMapcoXx.9614

xXMapcoXx.9614

although hitting things with a stick could be fun i’m hoping it is a polearm XD.
but then again Anet said they won’t be adding new weapons. So what do you guys think?

WTF is a polearm isnt that just a effing staff please people stop calling the big stick a polearm its assing

staff revenant

Posted by: SenorMoody.5908

SenorMoody.5908

That was the joke.

oh sorry lol.. i thought you were serious

Wish it, Want it, Do it!

staff revenant

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

WTF is a polearm isnt that just a effing staff please people stop calling the big stick a polearm its assing

A polearm is a staff with a blade at the end. That’s not quite what’s in the video, but that’s beside the point.

My only comment on the staff weapons is that so far they have only been used to cast spells in the game, and it would be a shock if revenants become the first class to start whacking people with them. Just to cause trouble, though, I’m thinking it’s a mace. :p