this jungle

this jungle

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: czerwoni.9563

czerwoni.9563

I die everywhere, I cant take 2 steps without something trying to kill me holy crap this map is the best thing ever.

its hard to solo but once you get used to it the game is rewarding, after spending a lot of time in the jungle I noticed that I have higher survivability in the normal map than I did before learning to properly dodge lol

More Violets I Say Less Violence

this jungle

Posted by: AncientYs.8613

AncientYs.8613

man… i cannot even begin to tell you how much i HATE the HoT maps! the many layers that it has, these so called “biodomes” and the extreme difficulty of the mobs compared to core Tyria maps is just brutally unforgiving.. and INSANE!

i really hope they do not keep this trend for upcoming expacs.. please bring back core Tyria difficulty..

this jungle

czerwoni.9563

man… i cannot even begin to tell you how much i HATE the HoT maps! the many layers that it has, these so called “biodomes” and the extreme difficulty of the mobs compared to core Tyria maps is just brutally unforgiving.. and INSANE!

i really hope they do not keep this trend for upcoming expacs.. please bring back core Tyria difficulty..

that was me when I played thief now im a ranger lol still hard to play but hey pet tanks and I run

this jungle

Posted by: Gator.5729

Gator.5729

Can’t disagree more, as I suspect many others will. As the game progresses and player skill increases the challenges need to keep up. Core Tyria difficulty is a joke.

The main issue is that new and returning players are jumping right into the HoT maps without being truly familiar with their characters and in some cases not being geared correctly. Metabattle and other build sites are focused on raids, fractals, PvP and WvW not PvE mapping and events. People to adjust their builds to what works for them for the content they are doing.

this jungle

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

I recently went back to the maps to get the currencies for a legendary im making needless to say i managed to solo def my outpost on vd and achieve t4 on that map and start the whole north watch on ab and get it to a certain point and all that with my sword focus mesmer… not sure how on thief you cant one shot everything with a vault and an AA i mean after all the hp nerfs they are basically 3 hits and dead lul cory tyria had nothimg that could kill you it felt like an amousement park. Maguma is a jungle and jungles should feel and be dangerous but after all the berfs not even sure if its even that.

this jungle

Posted by: AncientYs.8613

AncientYs.8613

Can’t disagree more, as I suspect many others will. As the game progresses and player skill increases the challenges need to keep up. Core Tyria difficulty is a joke.

The main issue is that new and returning players are jumping right into the HoT maps without being truly familiar with their characters and in some cases not being geared correctly. Metabattle and other build sites are focused on raids, fractals, PvP and WvW not PvE mapping and events. People to adjust their builds to what works for them for the content they are doing.

i see your point, it is my lack of skill and perhaps wrong armor or traits that prevent me from enjoying HoT maps but.. i also have enormous difficulty with getting elite specialization for certain more squishier classes and some Hero Points are temendously over powered.. and it’s just not fun for me to progress my characters because i feel like i’m being blocked off since i lack the correct skills to traverse the jungle for example reaction time and correct dodging etc.. that’s just my issue though.. not saying that everyone has the same problem like me, but i just wanted to point out my Cons with HoT maps :>

this jungle

Posted by: Katastroff.1045

Katastroff.1045

+1 To that.

I started to play about 4 months ago, did all of core, HoT and LW maps and the places i like the most are in the HoT maps. The core maps taught me the mechanics of the game, HoT and LW taught me how to deal with it.

I played Path of Exiles between GW and GW2 and if what you’re looking for is facerolling K-board mashing while watching TV action, the i suggest you try PoE. GW2 is a lot more about KNOWING how to play then OWNING everything you come across.

Why simplify things when its so easy to complicate them ?

this jungle

zealex.9410

i see your point, it is my lack of skill and perhaps wrong armor or traits that prevent me from enjoying HoT maps but.. i also have enormous difficulty with getting elite specialization for certain more squishier classes and some Hero Points are temendously over powered.. and it’s just not fun for me to progress my characters because i feel like i’m being blocked off since i lack the correct skills to traverse the jungle for example reaction time and correct dodging etc.. that’s just my issue though.. not saying that everyone has the same problem like me, but i just wanted to point out my Cons with HoT maps :>

u can do what he suggested tho before going in that is getting more tanky gear changing your build skills abot etc after all the combat in this game is dynamic and adapting is key also theres many hp trains that happen on a daily basis

this jungle

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

This jungle is deadly and alive, never quiet, always changing, a maze of challenge, a survival poem, full of colors and sounds and teeth.
I love it.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

this jungle

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The main issue is that new and returning players are jumping right into the HoT maps without being truly familiar with their characters and in some cases not being geared correctly.

Not being geared is likely a common problem. Unlike other MMOs, there’s no quests here to provide you with a proper set. For those playing the game like any other MMO and simply following the story, you’re going to be equipped in 80 rare equipment with no runes/sigils, no earrings and low level rings. It’s straight to HoT after, which would be balanced for full exotics. If you’re good enough however, it doesn’t matter what you have, as it can be done naked.

Core Tyria difficulty is a joke.

What people forget is that the core game wasn’t balanced for what you are now. Drop your 3rd trait line and limit yourself to rare equipment with no backpack and only minor runes/sigils at most and of course no consumables. That’s what Cursed Shore was originally balanced for. Play a zerker d/d elementalist for optimal effect. If you want to simulate the early crowd, further limit yourself to a mix of level 60-78 fine/masterworks with no accessories. It’s still not hard of course, but you’re going to be losing decent chunks of your health and not be able to 1 shot your enemies, making it far more challenging than what other MMOs offer in terms of open world solo content.

this jungle

zealex.9410

The main issue is that new and returning players are jumping right into the HoT maps without being truly familiar with their characters and in some cases not being geared correctly.

Not being geared is likely a common problem. Unlike other MMOs, there’s no quests here to provide you with a proper set. For those playing the game like any other MMO and simply following the story, you’re going to be equipped in 80 rare equipment with no runes/sigils, no earrings and low level rings. It’s straight to HoT after, which would be balanced for full exotics. If you’re good enough however, it doesn’t matter what you have, as it can be done naked.

Core Tyria difficulty is a joke.

What people forget is that the core game wasn’t balanced for what you are now. Drop your 3rd trait line and limit yourself to rare equipment with no backpack and only minor runes/sigils at most and of course no consumables. That’s what Cursed Shore was originally balanced for. Play a zerker d/d elementalist for optimal effect. If you want to simulate the early crowd, further limit yourself to a mix of level 60-78 fine/masterworks with no accessories. It’s still not hard of course, but you’re going to be losing decent chunks of your health and not be able to 1 shot your enemies, making it far more challenging than what other MMOs offer in terms of open world solo content.

And still the issue i find is that they didnt properly scaled the coe tyria from lvl 1 to 80 and from the core tyria 80 to maguma and lw3 maps. And that gives a bad name to some of the best maps thry made imho

this jungle

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

As I’ve said before, many times, if people have trouble with HOT maps and they need a tutorial or some help getting around, they can message me in game. I’d be happy to help them, assuming they’re on a US server.

HOT comes not after core. It comes after Living Story Season 2 which is much much harder, story wise, than the core game. Living Story Season 2 ramped up the difficulty. However, due to it being a separate purchase, and not even required, (lots of people skip story), not everyone does that content. So they go from doing math grade 1 to math grade 3 and wonder why it’s so hard.

It’s hard because you’ve skipped part of the game.

Play dungeons and fractals before you go into the jungle, that will get your eye in more toward dodging, moving while casting and using terrain to fight. Line of sighting and pulling are important skills to have in HoT. It’s doable…if you know how to do it.

this jungle

czerwoni.9563

+1 To that.

I started to play about 4 months ago, did all of core, HoT and LW maps and the places i like the most are in the HoT maps. The core maps taught me the mechanics of the game, HoT and LW taught me how to deal with it.

I played Path of Exiles between GW and GW2 and if what you’re looking for is facerolling K-board mashing while watching TV action, the i suggest you try PoE. GW2 is a lot more about KNOWING how to play then OWNING everything you come across.

exactly lol I play the game more like chess now, watching for attack circles to dodge and stuff. its funny to watch new players get hit by something that they could have avoided just by moving left or right

this jungle

czerwoni.9563

As I’ve said before, many times, if people have trouble with HOT maps and they need a tutorial or some help getting around, they can message me in game. I’d be happy to help them, assuming they’re on a US server.

HOT comes not after core. It comes after Living Story Season 2 which is much much harder, story wise, than the core game. Living Story Season 2 ramped up the difficulty. However, due to it being a separate purchase, and not even required, (lots of people skip story), not everyone does that content. So they go from doing math grade 1 to math grade 3 and wonder why it’s so hard.

It’s hard because you’ve skipped part of the game.

Play dungeons and fractals before you go into the jungle, that will get your eye in more toward dodging, moving while casting and using terrain to fight. Line of sighting and pulling are important skills to have in HoT. It’s doable…if you know how to do it.

im actually starting living story 2 now since I jumped into HOT map lol and its actually fun to play

this jungle

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

One of the problems I saw pop up with the “It should be Core Tyria Difficulty!” argument is that the Core Tyria map they’re referring to is Queensdale - You know, the zone made for level 2-10 characters with one stat, half their weapon skills, and not even traits or utilities? They’re comparing the maps’ difficulty to newbieland.

this jungle

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

One of the problems I saw pop up with the “It should be Core Tyria Difficulty!” argument is that the Core Tyria map they’re referring to is Queensdale - You know, the zone made for level 2-10 characters with one stat, half their weapon skills, and not even traits or utilities? They’re comparing the maps’ difficulty to newbieland.

There’s an argument to be made that the first zone in an expansion should easy, to give people a chance to get in, explore, get a feel for the brave, new world, before venturing forth into the seething jungle.

I suspect that’s what many people mean when they compare it to Queensdale.

And I’d be okay with that. It’s just as easy to justify with lore.

Or, better yet, what I would have liked to see is a tiny, “intro zone” between Silverwastes and VB. You can choose to take a tutorial (and end up with basic gliding by the time you’re done) or skip right through to VB.

Put another way, a lot of people are complaining about their feeling that the transition was too abrupt, that they didn’t feel prepared. That hurts their enjoyment, regardless of whether there’s any sort of rational explanation as to why it makes sense (from lore, from game design, or otherwise).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

this jungle

zealex.9410

There’s an argument to be made that the first zone in an expansion should easy, to give people a chance to get in, explore, get a feel for the brave, new world, before venturing forth into the seething jungle.

Or, better yet, what I would have liked to see is a tiny, “intro zone” between Silverwastes and VB. You can choose to take a tutorial (and end up with basic gliding by the time you’re done) or skip right through to VB.

Put another way, a lot of people are complaining about their feeling that the transition was too abrupt, that they didn’t feel prepared. That hurts their enjoyment, regardless of whether there’s any sort of rational explanation as to why it makes sense (from lore, from game design, or otherwise).

a small intro zone would have helped yeah but since we didnt got that we gotta adress the real problem which is the poor scaling the maps in core tyria have. and theres no real sense of scale from lvl 1 all the way to the expansion zones

this jungle

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I do think that the transition from core game difficulty to HoT was too abrupt. I think that is as much an issue with the core game challenge progression as it is with HoT.

I believe that Anet had expected silverwastes to prepare people for HoT, but, I wouldnt be surprised to find, many people had long since moved on from SW, back into core content for alts, AP hunting, etc. And of course newer players might not have ventured into DT and SW.

All told, I dont feel the transition was handled as well as could have been.

this jungle

zealex.9410

at least i believe we wont have this issue with the next expansion as the lw zones for the most part keep up the pace of the hot maps

this jungle

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

FWIW, doing Living Story 2 sets the stage for HoT maps nicely, and is scaled somewhere between the two in difficulty, while being set in and around the wastes, and regular zones.

The fact you have to buy it separately kind of means that transition is probably more jarring for folks, but … I found it smooth, because I did go ahead and buy that up front.

this jungle

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

How do people feel about the difficulty of the Maguuma Wastes maps? Dry Top and the Silverwastes were added after Core Tyria but before HoT, so it should have been the transition map, really. And you have to go through the Silverwastes to get to Verdant Brink anyway. Maybe this is the transition map people need, but keep overlooking because they just want to jump into the new expansion.

this jungle

Vayne.8563

How do people feel about the difficulty of the Maguuma Wastes maps? Dry Top and the Silverwastes were added after Core Tyria but before HoT, so it should have been the transition map, really. And you have to go through the Silverwastes to get to Verdant Brink anyway. Maybe this is the transition map people need, but keep overlooking because they just want to jump into the new expansion.

Not just that, but for people playing from the beginning, they often did those maps when they were new and packed. You don’t really learn much in a zerg with 50 other people. If you go back there later, that’s when it becomes more challenging.

Those maps are harder than the core maps to solo, but how many people solo them?

this jungle

Posted by: Pepsi.8907

Pepsi.8907

Not just that, but for people playing from the beginning, they often did those maps when they were new and packed. You don’t really learn much in a zerg with 50 other people. If you go back there later, that’s when it becomes more challenging.

Those maps are harder than the core maps to solo, but how many people solo them?

Solo, the Wastes are just not enjoyable. They were truly targeted to group play, even moreso than Maguuma maps, but I’d agree the difficulty feels in-between that of core and Maguuma.

Instead of nerfing the Heart, I’d rather want NCsoft increasing core Tyria’s difficulty. Maybe not to the level of the Heart, because Core should be accessible without ascended or elite specialization, but definitely overhauled so that full exotic players cannot rofltstomp champions anymore.

I think the only thing I have a hard time with in core Tyria, even before the xpac, was the legendaries. Anything below that and it was perfectly doable. It was boring.

this jungle

Vayne.8563

Solo, the Wastes are just not enjoyable. They were truly targeted to group play, even moreso than Maguuma maps, but I’d agree the difficulty feels in-between that of core and Maguuma.

Instead of nerfing the Heart, I’d rather want NCsoft increasing core Tyria’s difficulty. Maybe not to the level of the Heart, because Core should be accessible without ascended or elite specialization, but definitely overhauled so that full exotic players cannot rofltstomp champions anymore.

I think the only thing I have a hard time with in core Tyria, even before the xpac, was the legendaries. Anything below that and it was perfectly doable. It was boring.

They did that a bit with krait buff a long time ago and the toxic spore events, which are harder than typical core Tyria events. That’s another thing I forget.

Those events are in the game for along time, and people just skip them, then complain nothing in the open world teaches them how to do events. There are toxic spore events in Kessex, Gendarran, Brisban Wildlands, probably other zones I’m not remembering as well.

Doing some spore events solo is tough…as tough as many events in HoT even.

this jungle

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The Toxic Krait events are tougher IMO.

I guess I should go back and try them all again. I remember getting close to finishing one and have one of the last kraits rez the one I was about to finish and ending up wiping.

Plus, they have always (again imo) been a terrible effort:reward ratio, whether the reward is measured in loot or just fun.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

this jungle

Vayne.8563

The Toxic Krait events are tougher IMO.

I guess I should go back and try them all again. I remember getting close to finishing one and have one of the last kraits rez the one I was about to finish and ending up wiping.

Plus, they have always (again imo) been a terrible effort:reward ratio, whether the reward is measured in loot or just fun.

Sure, but the toxic spore is nice though. It’s worth well over 10 silver, which is more than you get for any other dynamic event.

this jungle

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

You can stand in front of any non-champ in core Tyria, do nothing but autoattack in full glass armor, go afk, and still win the fight every time. That’s not an exaggeration. That’s also not fun.

You can bet your butt the next expac will have some minimal difficulty, probably on par with the living story stuff.

this jungle

Posted by: Kumouta.4985

Kumouta.4985

the next xpac should be harder so people who really like autoattacking actually leave for real, because this stupid hate has been going on too long.
Dont say everybody or nobody btw, say i. Just because YOU want something does’t mean every player wants that.

I can apply over 3 stacks of bleeding.

(edited by Kumouta.4985)

this jungle

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Yes, that will show them!

this jungle

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

the next xpac should be harder so people who really like autoattacking actually leave for real, because this stupid hate has been going on too long.
Dont say everybody or nobody btw, say i. Just because YOU want something does’t mean every player wants that.

WildStar, which did what you ask here, is => over there, happily failing into oblivion because it turns out that y’all ask for this harder stuff, but you don’t like it when you get it.

this jungle

Vayne.8563

WildStar, which did what you ask here, is => over there, happily failing into oblivion because it turns out that y’all ask for this harder stuff, but you don’t like it when you get it.

I wish people would stop saying this. Wildstar had tons and tons of problems other then being difficult. As an example, in the early going, I couldn’t even play the game from Australia because the lag was so bad it was flat out unplayable. There were many many bugs. People complain about the bugs here, they should have played Wildstar at launch. The game needed probably another year in development before it was released. It was released way too early.

It’s true some people wouldn’t like the hard core nature, but there was a huge grind to get to the harder stuff that wasn’t fun at all.

There’s actually no evidence I can think of that Wildstar didn’t do well because it was hard core. Wildstar had all kinds of other issues.

this jungle

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

WildStar’s open world / solo content was balanced for the casual players, like most MMOs. The funny thing about it is that the endgame was entirely devoted to dungeons and larger raids, like how MMOs were 10+ years ago, then quickly found out the obvious, revealing that more than 60% played solo.

this jungle

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

WildStar’s open world / solo content was balanced for the casual players, like most MMOs. The funny thing about it is that the endgame was entirely devoted to dungeons and larger raids, like how MMOs were 10+ years ago, then quickly found out the obvious, revealing that more than 60% played solo.

Yeah, 40 man raids, which some people (the devs especially) thought would be a great return to the old WoW glory days, forgetting that Blizzard stepped away from 40 man raids for a reason: very few people could organise enough people to do them.

this jungle

Posted by: TorsoReaper.8530

TorsoReaper.8530

Generally when you come on here people are going to say they love HOT maps because the people who hated HOT maps quit the game. It’s called “survivorship bias”.

I didn’t think the mobs in HOT are that hard at all, I just got annoyed because the 2D minimap is completely useless for a 3D map and there’s a lot of routes that involve backtracking. Dry Top is 3D but when you want to go up, there’s almost always a thing that gives you the jump ability.

In HOT when you want to go up, you can be sure the bouncing mushroom was 400 yards in the opposite direction and you have to backtrack until you find it, take the mushroom, then an updraft, then a ley line, to get to where you want to go.

this jungle

Vayne.8563

Generally when you come on here people are going to say they love HOT maps because the people who hated HOT maps quit the game. It’s called “survivorship bias”.

I didn’t think the mobs in HOT are that hard at all, I just got annoyed because the 2D minimap is completely useless for a 3D map and there’s a lot of routes that involve backtracking. Dry Top is 3D but when you want to go up, there’s almost always a thing that gives you the jump ability.

In HOT when you want to go up, you can be sure the bouncing mushroom was 400 yards in the opposite direction and you have to backtrack until you find it, take the mushroom, then an updraft, then a ley line, to get to where you want to go.

Offset by the fact that more people are likely to complain when they don’t like something than say nice things when they do. That’s a bias too.

Forums of every MMORPG are filled with people complaining. They go to forums TOO complain. I have well over 200 people in my guild playing and enjoying the game. I think 3 of us post on forums. The other 197 are playing and having a good time.

There are people I know who USED to post on the forums, who still like the game and stopped because of the negativity here. It affected their enjoyment of the game. It was too much work to say they liked something. They were attacked as fan bois or Anet shills or white knights.

Saying more people are saying they like it because those who didn’t have left the game is only a small part of the story. I think the people who don’t like it are going to talk a lot louder than the people who do.

this jungle

TorsoReaper.8530

Offset by the fact that more people are likely to complain when they don’t like something than say nice things when they do. That’s a bias too.

Forums of every MMORPG are filled with people complaining. They go to forums TOO complain. I have well over 200 people in my guild playing and enjoying the game. I think 3 of us post on forums. The other 197 are playing and having a good time.

There are people I know who USED to post on the forums, who still like the game and stopped because of the negativity here. It affected their enjoyment of the game. It was too much work to say they liked something. They were attacked as fan bois or Anet shills or white knights.

Saying more people are saying they like it because those who didn’t have left the game is only a small part of the story. I think the people who don’t like it are going to talk a lot louder than the people who do.

I actually agree with you but that is kind of my point. The complaints of HOT maps has gone down a ton over the last year and I think your point is very right: Generally, people complain louder than they praise. Therefore, the fact that the complaining has subsided means these people have given up and left. =)

this jungle

Vayne.8563

I actually agree with you but that is kind of my point. The complaints of HOT maps has gone down a ton over the last year and I think your point is very right: Generally, people complain louder than they praise. Therefore, the fact that the complaining has subsided means these people have given up and left. =)

Or some of those people started enjoying HOT maps after the April fixes. That’s another possibility.

I noticed a drop in complaints after that update came out.

this jungle

TorsoReaper.8530

Or some of those people started enjoying HOT maps after the April fixes. That’s another possibility.

Unfortunately, if that were true, revenues for GW2 would not be worse than even Aion Online.

this jungle

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Unfortunately, if that were true, revenues for GW2 would not be worse than even Aion Online.

I am not so sure about that. I feel that the gem store, for quite some time now, has been truly underwhelming. If there isn’t much, of interest to me at least, to buy, then even the best expac possible, including everything I might ever want, will not encourage me to spend extra cash in the gem store.

this jungle

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

NEVER be happy with people leaving an MMO. As numbers drop, so does revinue. Also, people only complain when they CARE. Less complaints usually means less people, and less people caring anymore. Both signify bad futures for MMOs.

I’d rather see 50 new complaint threads a week than 3, if only because it meant people were interested, invested, and care about the game.

this jungle

Vayne.8563

NEVER be happy with people leaving an MMO. As numbers drop, so does revinue. Also, people only complain when they CARE. Less complaints usually means less people, and less people caring anymore. Both signify bad futures for MMOs.

I’d rather see 50 new complaint threads a week than 3, if only because it meant people were interested, invested, and care about the game.

You don’t have to be happy with people leaving MMOs to acknowledge that it happens and it happens relatively normally. There are more people who have stopped playing WOW than who have ever played Guild Wars 2. That’s just the nature of hte business.

That’s why it’s important to attract new customers as well. That’s why changes can be important. You lose one demographic and gain another.

As for the sales being less, I dont’ buy as much in the gem store because I have all the outfits I ever intend to buy and I have enough glider skins already. There’s very little for me to buy that I’m interested in in the gem shop.

Also, the AB meta multimap made a lot of people filthy rich. People have enough money to get what they want from the gem store without paying a penny for gems.