why shooting gallery challange sucks

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: tonny.7580

tonny.7580

reason 1. there 40 of targets 2. 4 of them have opject way of them thad if u dont shot right u lose to much time 3. why the hell to i have to turn my hand all the time right right right right becous the spot like thad my hand will 4. if u have all the time shakes hand ur f and max u can get in 26
and my idea for this is give us more time + remove the bloody 3 opject thad make it nightmere (big as tree root in way and invisble Pumpkin show only up when u go close to it thos 2 are the main nightmres other one is invible barrel)
i am dylexic soo deal with it grammer natzis

Posted by: Sister.9612

Sister.9612

There is only one thing to say – Shame on you ArenaNet for locking mastery points behind mini games!
Why would anyone like to play a game that locks you out from being able to enjoy all the new mastery abilities?

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

There is only one thing to say – Shame on you ArenaNet for locking mastery points behind mini games!
Why would anyone like to play a game that locks you out from being able to enjoy all the new mastery abilities?

There are 129 mastery points available in HOT, you need 114 for all the HOT mastery tracks.

Sister.9612

There are 129 mastery points available in HOT, you need 114 for all the HOT mastery tracks.

Yes, I know that. I also know that here are 31 mastery points from the mini games and 1 from Tarir challenge winner. 129 ./.32 = 97.

Posted by: xXRichiXx.3846

xXRichiXx.3846

Yes, I know that. I also know that here are 31 mastery points from the mini games and 1 from Tarir challenge winner. 129 ./.32 = 97.

of those 32, you can get half of them really easy, just get gold in the babys mini games and in the difficult ones try to get silver (not so difficult)

in VB only shotting gallery its a pain in the kitten , with a little of practice you can get silver

in AB you got 2 games that with a little of practice you get gold fast, the rest you can aim silver with not too much problem.

in TD, ley-line run, bettle feast and drone race, the same thing: a little of practice and you get gold.

with that you are more than ready, also you can toss another 12 points with not getting nuhoch alchemy, the most useless mastery.

Sister.9612

of those 32, you can get half of them really easy, just get gold in the babys mini games and in the difficult ones try to get silver (not so difficult)

in VB only shotting gallery its a pain in the kitten , with a little of practice you can get silver

in AB you got 2 games that with a little of practice you get gold fast, the rest you can aim silver with not too much problem.

in TD, ley-line run, bettle feast and drone race, the same thing: a little of practice and you get gold.

with that you are more than ready, also you can toss another 12 points with not getting nuhoch alchemy, the most useless mastery.

What seems to be easy for you might not be easy for everyone. For me it is impossible to do fast-paced, single-mini games. I can’t even score bronze in the “babys mini games”.

Phy.2913

What seems to be easy for you might not be easy for everyone. For me it is impossible to do fast-paced, single-mini games. I can’t even score bronze in the “babys mini games”.

The game will never be balanced around the lowest denominator, sorry.

Posted by: Ajja.4583

Ajja.4583

I am one of those that can’t do the mini games in HoT. I agree with tonny and I agree with Sister. It’s not about balancing the game around the lowest denominator. It was unnecessary to lock so many mastery points behind mini games. In what way would the game suffer with a couple of more mastery points scattered around the new maps?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It shouldn’t be balanced around the assumption that everyone is a veteran arcade era player either.
No, minigames do not need to be made easier – but locking mastery points behind them when there’s not enough of alternatives was a bad decision.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Phy.2913

It shouldn’t be balanced around the assumption that everyone is a veteran arcade era player either.
No, minigames do not need to be made easier – but locking mastery points behind them when there’s not enough of alternatives was a bad decision.

There are enough alternatives. If you can’t do ANY adventure, then it’s a L2P issue.

Posted by: Flimsa.3712

Flimsa.3712

There are enough alternatives. If you can’t do ANY adventure, then it’s a L2P issue.

Phy, what alternatives are you referring to?

I don’t think it was a wise decision to hide mastery points behind mini games. It should be optional and a choice for those that enjoys them.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

And it shouldn’t. It also shouldn’t require people to play content not pertinent to the theme and genre of the game. “Adventures” are worthless rubbish that have no place in the game other than as a silly distraction. Certainly not tied to any kind of progress in anything other than the “adventures” themselves.

What’s next? A “chess challenge” where you have to beat a competitive level AI at a game of chess?

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

- “Hey, this is broken and can’t be done”
- “You don’t need to do it, so there’s no need to fix it”.

I’m afraid it doesn’t work like that. It’s broken, it needs to be fixed like many other adventures. That’s how it is.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

I think the part that needs to be fixed in the shooting game is the kittening aim with the screen being locked to the mouse.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

[…]

We can go to the leaderboards, see how no one is getting gold in any of them, and see how it’s a design issue.

If you test something and get “2:17” as the max time anyone could get, and you go and round it down to 2:00 to make the numbers nice and round, you are ignoring the data to make something look pretty in the UI because prime numbers look ugly on screen, and expect people somehow be able to do something, what you’ll get is only a few cheaters using some ‘third party program’ being able to do it, and a waste of design time and space that only frustrates players as they expect it to be possible, when it isn’t.

Then no one is able to complete it.

And when the time is too tight, people just do it once and ignore it forever.

That should NOT be the case.

The requirements that give AP and mastery poitns should be lower, then there should be an extra mile for leaderboards and bonus exp and rewards. Reasons to replay them without affecting those that may not find them as fun.

That’s why bronz, silve and gold requirements need to be adjusted, and Platinum reward should be introduced.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

What’s next? A “chess challenge” where you have to beat a competitive level AI at a game of chess?

Easy. Mimic the moves in another chess program set to maximum difficulty.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I think the part that needs to be fixed in the shooting game is the kittening aim with the screen being locked to the mouse.

That’s the action cam. You can turn it off.

The part that needs to be fixed is that you shouldn’t run from one end of the arena to the other and back to the one end again. One try, after the first round of dummies (which is on the other side of the valley), I had to return all the way to the other corner again, and the next dummy was again on the far side of the canyon. I thought it was a shooting practice, not a running practice…

Posted by: Sarika.3756

Sarika.3756

I’ve been unable to turn off the action cam in shooting gallery. Can this actually be done?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I can do quite a few adventures, and I still believe this is a bad decision on Anet’s part. It’s conceptually not part of the MMO experience and it’s putting undo pressure on people to do stuff they really don’t like to do. It’s not good or smart on their part. Surely adventures could have been in there as an optional feature, without gating points behind them.

The problem is the more Anet pushes the envelope to make the game more challenging, the more people it will leave behind, and some of those people won’t be coming back.

You shouldn’t have to go play arcade games to get mastery points. It’s a bad design decision in my opinion.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

It’s better to have them give some mastery points than none otherwise mastering lines would take even longer than they already do.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I’ve been unable to turn off the action cam in shooting gallery. Can this actually be done?

There is a control option: Toggle Action Camera and Disable Action Camera. They are by default not bound to a key, so you’ll have to bind them yourself.

Posted by: Raizen.7981

Raizen.7981

Took me 3 months to get gold on Bugs in Branches and Tendril Torchers. I was barely getting bronze when I started. Now I faceroll-gold them with over 20 seconds left on the clock. Practice makes everything better (wink). The fact that one mastery point(Shooting Gallery Gold) is impossible to get(which should be addressed already) it doesn’t make the other 31 points impossible to get. I’m sorry, if you can’t get gold on that collect-things-from-vines adventure in VB, or from the Wings of Gold, or the car/beetle ones in TD- well I’m sorry. You’re either lacking some masteries, or you’re having terrible L2P issues, in which case you SHOULDN’T be able to progress further. Why should a total noob be at 163 mastery points? Just why?

Vayne.8563

Took me 3 months to get gold on Bugs in Branches and Tendril Torchers. I was barely getting bronze when I started. Now I faceroll-gold them with over 20 seconds left on the clock. Practice makes everything better (wink). The fact that one mastery point(Shooting Gallery Gold) is impossible to get(which should be addressed already) it doesn’t make the other 31 points impossible to get. I’m sorry, if you can’t get gold on that collect-things-from-vines adventure in VB, or from the Wings of Gold, or the car/beetle ones in TD- well I’m sorry. You’re either lacking some masteries, or you’re having terrible L2P issues, in which case you SHOULDN’T be able to progress further. Why should a total noob be at 163 mastery points? Just why?

You should try it from Australia, you’d likely have a different story. Content that excludes an entire region isn’t a great idea to begin with but also, if you don’t like that content, having to work at it to get points is just going to drive people away from the game. I don’t think I’ll enjoy raiding and I don’t really have to raid. It’s tucked away in a corner, it’s not in my face. I can ignore it.

Adventures are slightly different. Different enough to raise issues with people.

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

Playing with high ping is surely a problem, but it’s not like the timer is so tight for every single adventure.
I would expect issues with “Masks of the Fallen”, “Floor is Lava”, obviously “Shooting Gallery” (as it is painful for pretty much everyone), and maybe “A fungus among us” (depending on how #2 behaves with high ping).

In any case, I wouldn’t mind ANet moving the mastery points to bronze/silver or readjusting gold thresholds if the current state is making so many people upset.
I would also appreciate some replayability improvements for those of us who like them.

(edited by Vargamonth.2047)

Astralporing.1957

Why should a total noob be at 163 mastery points? Just why?

Noob perhaps shouldn’t, but this is not an arcade game and getting full mastery points should not require being good at those.

Actions, not words.

Vayne.8563

Noob perhaps shouldn’t, but this is not an arcade game and getting full mastery points should not require being good at those.

Why should a guy who played the game from launch and beaten pretty much everything (bar Liadri and the Raid), not be able to have 163 mastery points, because he happens to live in Australia? lol

Phy.2913

Why should a guy who played the game from launch and beaten pretty much everything (bar Liadri and the Raid), not be able to have 163 mastery points, because he happens to live in Australia? lol

Making them friendlier to ping issues is one thing. Complaining that you can’t (lack of skill) or wont do them is another.

Raizen.7981

I’m talking about people complaining about the difficulty not about the ping
Hence the total noob thing.

Astralporing.1957

And i am pointing out that MMORPGs and arcade games require different skillsets, and not being too good with arcades does not (or at least should not) mean you’re a noob at the game that at its core is not arcade one. Seriously, what is next? FPS shooter challenge? RTS micromanagement mastery? Winning a cooking show?

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Akrib.4297

Akrib.4297

Usually I don’t mind difficult parts of the game but 40 seems to be pretty high. Especially trying to use the action cam which isn’t that accurate. 30 I could understand, even the sniper rifle test in TD has a pretty high gold requirement.

Posted by: Tristavel.9218

Tristavel.9218

This has absolutely nothing to do with being noob. I’ve been playing the game for over 3 years, beaten Liadri during the first festival, , completed all JP’s (except Winter Wonderland and Clock Tower… see pattern?) soloed all but one of LS2 achies etc. I’m pretty confident in most situations. However, in most of those “adventures” I can only make it to silver if I try really, REALLY hard, and some of them are barely completable for me. Either way, it’s a huge time investment on my part.

The problem is, almost all of them test a very specific set of abilities. Majority are of the “timed arcade” type, and may be extremely hard for people not used to such content.

That aside, here’s the real issue: I bought GW to play GW. I hated SAB with a passion (big waste of space and developer time imo… at least it wasn’t required for anything). I don’t care about silly mini games, if I felt like playing simplistic arcade I would buy one. I really don’t feel like spending hours and hours of my free time on something I dislike – and mastery points locked behind “adventures” basically force me to do just that.

That’s just bad design, period. I’d be all for AP’s or unique cosmetic rewards for completing them, but they should be ENTIRELY OPTIONAL. Current system makes them a requirement for the core game, and that’s where all the hate comes from.

Ajja.4583

And why should a total noob on mini games not be at mastery level 136?

I don’t think the skill to play mini games has anything to do with the skill to play mmo game. It is two different game genres. The reasons to not being able to play mini games are more than a terrible learn to play issue. Spending three months playing mini games would be stupid of me. (wink)

The only way to collect enough mastery points to be able to use all new abilities should not require playing short timed mini games.

Phy.2913

The only way to collect enough mastery points to be able to use all new abilities should not require playing short timed mini games.

Why shouldn’t they? Because it’s hard?

Posted by: Daewind.1072

Daewind.1072

I really suck in arcade games. That is why I never play them. Hiding that many MP in these mini games is a real bummer, makes the game unbalanced in that aspect and scares players like me away. And no, I do not want to try it more than 50 times and reduce my gaming to arcade gaming. And yes, I have looked up ley line gliding on youtube, but still I cannot do it (maybe I will reach bronze after 50 more attempts). And what about balance? I had to do 5 outposts in VB to get only 1 MP (which is fine and I have enjoyed it), but only 1 MP for that long work while some good arcade gamer can get easily 2 for 1 run (and multiple in a map)? Is that really what this game stands for now?

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

In any case, I wouldn’t mind ANet moving the mastery points to bronze/silver or readjusting gold thresholds if the current state is making so many people upset.
I would also appreciate some replayability improvements for those of us who like them.

Mastery points should be at bronze and silver, and collection items at bronze. That takes most of the sting out of the adventures, and everyone wins: people who hate the adventures get their mastery points and collection items and then never need to worry about them again while people who like them can compete with each other on the leaderboards in peace.

Scrap Rifle, Shooting Gallery, and Fungus Among Us could really use a looking-at in general as well, they’re all pretty harsh (but thankfully not tied to any collections).

Posted by: Finn Quicke.9561

Finn Quicke.9561

Mastery points should be at bronze and silver, and collection items at bronze. That takes most of the sting out of the adventures, and everyone wins: people who hate the adventures get their mastery points and collection items and then never need to worry about them again while people who like them can compete with each other on the leaderboards in peace.

Scrap Rifle, Shooting Gallery, and Fungus Among Us could really use a looking-at in general as well, they’re all pretty harsh (but thankfully not tied to any collections).

This is a great idea,

Ajja.4583

Ping, lag, dc?

Posted by: BellatorDeus.2310

BellatorDeus.2310

I see nothing wrong in putting mastery points as rewards for these minigames. People that enjoy them can get mastery points as rewards. HOWEVER – this is a MMORPG, therefore there should be enough mastery points within the MMORPG content to get all the mastery points without playing a single minigame. Solution — just add mastery points to other content. A simple example — provide 2 Tyria mastery points for clearing all dungeons done in story mode. Another possibility — provide one Tyria mastery point per map for completing that map (but only once per map for any combination of characters e.g. you could not earn a mastery point for a map completion more than once). For Hot – provide 2 mastery points per map for each map completion. Not saying these examples are how they should do it, but they are examples of how they could do it to permit clearing all mastery points doing only MMORPG content.

Astralporing.1957

Because they are not MMORPG content. They are just side games, so they should not be required for core content.

I see nothing wrong in putting mastery points as rewards for these minigames. People that enjoy them can get mastery points as rewards. HOWEVER – this is a MMORPG, therefore there should be enough mastery points within the MMORPG content to get all the mastery points without playing a single minigame.

This, so much this.

Actions, not words.

Raizen.7981

For the last kittening time. There is no one hiding your MPs behind arcade games. They’re here to help you get fast MPs. It takes several hours to get that mastery point from completing all 5 outposts in VB(after 4 months I still don’t have it cuz noble one is bugged 24/7) but it takes a few minutes to get MPs from completing a silver adventure. And there are few of them where getting gold is a 0 challenge(beetle,car one,wings of gold, collecting salvage from the vine area in VB). Heres 8 free mastery points that every single person in the game has gotten in the first try. They’re like a really easy JP, but on a timer. Just try harder. I sucked as much as you did when I started them, don’t worry. I know how frustrating it was for 3 weeks to get 45/50 at Tendril Torchers and not even be able to get silver. Now I’m getting 110/110 with over 15 seconds and 20 tendrils left, because I took 30 mins to find an optimal route. Just try harder, you’ll see that adventures are here to be fun and to help you.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

For the last kittening time. There is no one hiding your MPs behind arcade games. They’re here to help you get fast MPs.

This is incorrect.

If one cannot get the MPs in question without doing the mini-games, then the MPs in question are gated behind the mini-games.

Personally I like the idea of difficult content, but if I want to play an arcade style shooter, or a platformer, or whatever…there are options available that can provide those types of gaming experiences better than an MMO. I don’t buy a computer chess game to play a FPS either.

Vayne.8563

For the last kittening time. There is no one hiding your MPs behind arcade games. They’re here to help you get fast MPs.

This is incorrect.

If one cannot get the MPs in question without doing the mini-games, then the MPs in question are gated behind the mini-games.

Personally I like the idea of difficult content, but if I want to play an arcade style shooter, or a platformer, or whatever…there are options available that can provide those types of gaming experiences better than an MMO. I don’t buy a computer chess game to play a FPS either.

But…but…but…Chess Sword Master 5000 was a great game!

Raizen.7981

This is incorrect.

That is incorrect. You can get the MPs with little to no effort. You don’t have to MAX out the content (like doing hard metas) in order to get a reward. If they would’ve added more MPs to hard achievs, every1 would ignore metas and just get MPs from adventures. If they would’ve added MPs to gold adventures, and migrated the other 15 MPs from silver to other meta achievs, y’all be complaining about a MP grind. It’s the wisest path they’ve chosen, to make happy the largest (almost every1) amount of people. Choosing any other course of action would’ve made a lot more angry people, than the 3 here spamming this thread about how hard adventures are.

Manasa Devi.7958

The wisest path would’ve been to not add these so called “adventures” at all and instead add some more actual MMO PvE content to the tiny smattering of it we got.

Vargamonth.2047

I can hardly see how that’s supposed to be a win for those who like adventures, as I see no difference to what we have right now.
For most adventures, we get a piece of rare gear on the first run without even trying, and then any more time spent perfecting the run and “competing” on the leaderboards (where we usually have no other reference but our own time) is pretty much wasted reward wise (we get, at least, some of the meta progress chests like everyone in the map).

As I said, I’ve no problem with moving those mastery points to bronze/silver if that’s going to improve the game experience for some people.
On the other hand and since the thread has become a general complaint against having anything locked by adventures , I think is appropriate to point out that we are the ones who got the shorter end of the stick with almost no replay value for the content we like.

Manasa Devi.7958

I can hardly see how that’s supposed to be a win for those who like adventures, as I see no difference to what we have right now.

If you like adventures, you’ve already won. There’s 15 of them.

Vargamonth.2047

If you like adventures, you’ve already won. There’s 15 of them.

Which is about an adventure for each outpost and its associated event chain(s). Looks fairly well balanced for me.
It’s not like I bought the game and found these adventures as a welcomed surprise either. Getting what I had advertised is not exactly what I would call “a win” but, I don’t know, there are so many disappointing releases these days that maybe I should feel extremely happy just about this.

Manasa Devi.7958

They were advertised? I hadn’t seen that. To me, they were unexpected, but not in the form of a pleasant surprise. Quite the opposite.

Vayne.8563

They were advertised? I hadn’t seen that. To me, they were unexpected, but not in the form of a pleasant surprise. Quite the opposite.

I don’t know if advertised was the right word, but they were certainly talked about, and an example was even furnished, which was Tendril Torchers. I’m pretty sure I knew the shooting gallery was coming before launch as well.

Vargamonth.2047

There was also quite a bit of talk and specific footage from Masks of the Fallen and Floor is Lava during Twitchcom.