would you play a Beta Drop RNG again?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I know people are complaining about the drop rate/people getting more than one, but I’m wondering how many people think this is a good idea and hope ANet do something like this again.

I personally would not, not because I didn’t get one, but because I’m not really a fan of DT and SW as maps. Sure they are fun in small amounts. I would have personally liked to have been able to do other level 80 areas and still have a chance of a portal. That’s one of the things I love about Guild Wars 2. There are lots of way to get the same thing, like ascended mat, sure some ways are quicker than others, but you have that choice of how you want to go about it. Be it chest farm in SW or world boss train.

I know we had two maps to choose from, but they are basically the same map.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I don’t want to grind 24 hours for something that might last 8 hours.. But really.. As much as I want to be in the beta, I won’t die if I’m not (just grevous mental harm). This is as fair as they come,

Note: I was in the last beta.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If they had a higher drop rate I would be more interested. The closed beta invites only a relative few, which means drop rates are abysmally low for the number of people trying to get in.

It might have been better to set this last one up as an email RNG system since it had such a low drop rate to get into the beta.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

My suggestion..

Chance = rng base number * items looted

Those who are obsessed enough will eventually get one unless the rng gods are truly sadistic.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

no, rng is a crappy mechanic which bad games employ, not games that pride themselves on the forefront of gaming revolution

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

no, rng is a crappy mechanic which bad games employ, not games that pride themselves on the forefront of gaming revolution

So… how should they give access to beta?
Joining a mailing list and hope for access is RNG as well after all.

As long as they do not give a guaranteed way to join the beta there will be RNG involved.
And having betas with very limited amount of slots can’t really have a guaranteed way.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

I’ve been playing a few hours there. Have not gotten a portal, but I am getting the achievements done on my NA account. I cannot reaaly go on for more than three full runs without yawning. I do not think I’d go for a full farming experience, not now or again.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

SW farming is something that I’ve been doing for a while, so I see portals as a bonus.

However, I would definitely like more if the chances to obtain a portal were more realistic.

Posted by: Blanche Neige.7241

Blanche Neige.7241

This was a great idea!

I would like to see more events like this happens in the future for other zones and for other occasions than a beta access.

It helped to bring back those two zones to life, even if only temporarily.

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

This move by a net was one in my opinion of desperation.

They have designed hot based upon sw/Dt based upon these type of map mechanics…
Do events get a certain thing to kill and a day/night cycle (similar to sandstorm or breech event type basis). So they want people who are interested in these type of maps to test the beta and give favourable feedback on what they have done so far. (my feedback on playing the last beta was scathing as it’s honestly looking a truly grindy horror show). The idea of open world events/maps to be is horrific as there is very little control of bads to get a good outcome.

DTOP/SW were only populated as it was the fastest way for some players to get gold (chests) rather than actually be interested in the map. The RNG hooks of Coat boxs/ amber fossils have truly wore off for most people. If more gold making zones arrive these areas will die off even more !

The beta key drop was a player idea on the forum from someone who didn’t get. The email invite – RNG is a truly cruel mistress of giving anything out. Looked at it for 20 hrs in these maps and my hate for drot/silver pastes has only but increased as a result.
Do we like this method of access? No.

Does anet need favourable reviews of people who like dtop/sw as hot is based off this? Yes.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

I have not given up getting one yet, but would only do one of these again if there was some changes. A better idea would be to have a token system, maybe boost the drop of the tokens to 50x of the portals are at the moment and have you need 50 tokens to buy a portal.
I know this would not increase the chance of getting one but at least you would feel like you are making progress on the portal rather than grinding the whole week and not getting anything while someone else gets one with the very first mob they kill. After the week is over there should probably be a way to convert spare tokens into gold/other currency so they don’t amount to nothing as well.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

lordkrall.7241

The beta key drop was a player idea on the forum from someone who didn’t get.

Actually: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Beta_key_hunt

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Ash.5274

Ash.5274

Tbh, day after day after day of Silverwastes and Dry Top farming with no portal to show for it has drained me of pretty much all enthusiasm for getting into the beta.

That said, I like the approach – it just needs tweaking. They should have made it 24 hrs (or even 48, to cut down on the inevitable qq) with a much higher drop rate for that 24 hr (or 48 hr) period. I think missing out wouldn’t hurt quite so much that way; as it is, I’m not even enjoying the content right now, I’m just grinding through it because there’s that stubborn part of me that won’t relinquish the slim hope that this time a portal will drop …

lordkrall.7241

Tbh, day after day after day of Silverwastes and Dry Top farming with no portal to show for it has drained me of pretty much all enthusiasm for getting into the beta.

That said, I like the approach – it just needs tweaking. They should have made it 24 hrs (or even 48, to cut down on the inevitable qq) with a much higher drop rate for that 24 hr (or 48 hr) period. I think missing out wouldn’t hurt quite so much that way; as it is, I’m not even enjoying the content right now, I’m just grinding through it because there’s that stubborn part of me that won’t relinquish the slim hope that this time a portal will drop …

And yet with that low amount of time available people would rage like mad about being unable to even have a chance, due to being unable to play during those 24/48 hours.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

BrotherBelial.3094

And yet with that low amount of time available people would rage like mad about being unable to even have a chance, due to being unable to play during those 24/48 hours.

Not if they did it over a weekend. Most if not all players would be able to get on at some point. Sure some would miss out, as people do work over the weekend. But you can’t keep everyone happy.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Simple. Do it daily with a fixed chance every day. The more days you log in in a week the higher your chances.

You could do whatever you want during that day: wvw, general pve, dt/sw, pvp, events , crafting, whatever. It would be fair to everyone. Also not bias the sample towards die-hard gamers while ensuring people that put in a minimum of effort (so would most likely use the beta, other than an email selection system) got a chance.

Posted by: Huffinator.4598

Huffinator.4598

I’ve been asking myself why am I doing this to myself, grinding endlessly just to get a portal. I don’t even know how big the beta is nor what time it will actually be live, so even if I gotten a drop, work may prevent me from playing it. Now that I have really thought about it, I would probably never do a pure RNG based event ever again. I’ve learned my lesson with the mystic toilet; I don’t know why I thought RNGesus would be kind to me in this event.

I have gathered up a TON of crests, shovels, bags, and gold in SW, but no portal drop. Dry top really isn’t my thing, but I imagine the drop rates are the same in either map, so I’ve been staying in my field of expertise. I’ve seen on average 1-3 people map chat their drop out per map cycle, and I’ve seen people get 2, 3, even 4 portals. Yet no matter how many events I do, I can never seem to get a single drop.

The only thing this beta event is doing is making me more likely to host a 1,000 shovel chest train marathon in the future.

Posted by: Pecar.1236

Pecar.1236

got +40 hours of farming for portal and still got nothing i say NNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNN"""""""""""!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ยง anet

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

How about 1 beta key = 5000 bandits crests, just a thought there.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Joining a mailing list and hope for access is RNG as well after all.

As long as they do not give a guaranteed way to join the beta there will be RNG involved.

Of course, but a straight rng is better in this case than one hidden behind a several day long grind, which, in the end, will likely not give you any more chance of getting in the beta than in the previous method.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Palindrome.8904

Palindrome.8904

I wouldn’t, because I know better than to go in looking to grind something like this. I’d go to the zone to play the zone if I wanted to. In this case, SW has great loot, so that’s what I go there for.

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

No, I won’t bother myself.

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

Depends, if it’s something I enjoy regardless, sure. For this one I am not a fan of SW. I usually never go there. I spent about 3-4 hours there in total this week. No portal of course, but I was never planning to farm like other people do. I did finally get some vinewrath kills, so that was cool.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Definetly. It was an excellent and original idea imo.

And it reinvigorated the maps which had trailed off a little in recent weeks

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

Attachments:

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

I didn’t play this one. I got tired of the heavily scripted Silverwastes a long time ago. This just made it worse.

I really don’t understand why Anet is so addicted to RNG when players clearly hate it.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: Pecar.1236

Pecar.1236

omg after 46 hours of farming got it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments:

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Sure. I had other goals that I was able to advance while looking for a portal. I didn’t get one so far, but I don’t mind.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: FireKit.1723

FireKit.1723

I’ve been grinding away at it for 60+ hours now and still nothing. However, I would still support this as long as there was some way of guaranteeing a beta slot. For example, after 100 Gold rank event completions in SW/DT you automatically get a portal. This would guarantee that only active players get into beta without endless farming. Of course the random portal drops should be kept, with an even lower drop rate if desired.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Gave it a shot for about an hour or so and decided to just wait for open beta or live. Would I do it again?

No.

On that note, we can see why this ‘event’ happened in the areas it did. A beta is to help, those willing and who volunteer, fix and identity issues with a game before it goes live.

It should never be a ‘reward’ to get players into dead zones.

Let’s not kid ourselves about why and where this happened.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Posted by: DoIKnowYou.3896

DoIKnowYou.3896

Nope. I’ve done 23 SW runs and around 7-8 hours of Dry Top and NOTHING. Some people have spent 15 minutes and got one.

Active Gw2 member who is ready to venture into the jungle! :)

Posted by: xXMapcoXx.9614

xXMapcoXx.9614

Over the course of 3 days but i got me one ;D so yes, however if i didnt get one this time then no i be like screw that

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

Seemed ok to me. I’ve spent quite a bit of time in SW just playing the game, know it well enough to tag up and organize. But hardly any time in DT and this gave me the opportunity to be more well acquainted with the zone and how it operates with a full map (it’s often empty). I still see lots of people there w/o a clue how the map works, although I’m seeing more and more AFK’ers now, slowing down the map progression.

Sure, I’d do it again, on a different map next time, pref with greater drop % and just lasting a few days. If they did it again, I’d suggest making an entirely new map being part of the expansion package, eg an open beta map to determine closed beta spots to the rest of the expansion.

Posted by: EsarioOne.9840

EsarioOne.9840

Absolutely not of this type. The drop rate gating of this event was of terrible design.
For me to do something similar again, it would have to be an event where an individual doesn’t have to put their entire life on hold to maybe get into the beta. So, a reasonable event.

Posted by: Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693

I spent over 60 hours getting one.

It was a pain in the butt at times but it does seem like a fair system as it’s luck based.

Doesn’t make much difference if you play 6 hours or 60, you still have a chance of getting one.

Also the majority of those found are likely to end up with players that actually want to be there as they’ve had to do something about achieving that.

Question is what do they want to be there for, actual beta testing or just trying it out.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Hell yes, I’d do it again, because I already live in SW, so it was just a bonus to get (2) Beta key Portals. I for one thoroughly enjoy the zone, much more so than DT, and it’s so far the best zone for enrichment.

Posted by: NeroMode.2651

NeroMode.2651

+60h farming and still nothing… Final 24h starts now and i lost all hope…

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

I know people are complaining about the drop rate/people getting more than one, but I’m wondering how many people think this is a good idea and hope ANet do something like this again.

Yes I think it was a good idea and I would do it again for the next expansion after HoT, if they do it again for HoT though I think that maybe pushing people a little to far to soon. The people that got in now should always get into all future HoT betas.

Posted by: FrozenChinchilla.5249

FrozenChinchilla.5249

People care too much about a beta.
A bunch of incomplete content that they’re going to get anyway.

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

I hope they do this again, it the most fun I had in both SW and Dry top, because I mostly play at my night, and it normally slow, but for the most part, when I log in, people are active and it been nice.

Posted by: tenklo.6104

tenklo.6104

the beta not worth the boring farming hours for me have a nice beta… put like 5 hours in yea not much but pvp dungeons and fractal or less mind numbing

Posted by: Latinkuro.9615

Latinkuro.9615

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me !

If they ever announce some [censored] like this again, I will simply stop playing for the duration of that event and go play something else or go do something productive IRL for a change.

Posted by: Mogilka.3085

Mogilka.3085

I personally LOVED the idea of getting beta access as a drop worth a generous 25 silver, but HATED the fact that it could only drop in SW/DT!!! It’s very original, hasnt been done in any other mmo, the usual ANet innovation

I was basically forced to play my only lvl 80 char, a ranger not less, for 4 days straight in the same area (cause let’s face it, DT sucks), until i got my mail. I was bored kittenless!!

I would absolutely love to get access to other betas/events via a drop, but imho it should be either world wide, or different map every day, even if lvl 80 only.

I love cats, my favorite cat is named Sql, i call her MySQL.

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

I personally LOVED the idea of getting beta access as a drop worth a generous 25 silver, but HATED the fact that it could only drop in SW/DT!!! It’s very original, hasnt been done in any other mmo, the usual ANet innovation

I was basically forced to play my only lvl 80 char, a ranger not less, for 4 days straight in the same area (cause let’s face it, DT sucks), until i got my mail. I was bored kittenless!!

I would absolutely love to get access to other betas/events via a drop, but imho it should be either world wide, or different map every day, even if lvl 80 only.

No one forced you to do anything, You did it cause you wanted to try to earn it. There no reason to be this upset, it just beta too. Not like anything people get to do there will effect their account.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

I never do betas so didn’t do these maps more than usually, but as an idea it is kinda nice and fresh. So let’s say that if I was going to do beta, I would farm.

Posted by: IntheCoconut.3497

IntheCoconut.3497

I don’t hate the idea. I think it is fair, but I understand why some people are upset. It is a system that sets up a lot of false expectations. I’ve spent a lot of time farming and haven’t received a portal, which is to be expected for many of us. It does make me kind of sad that two of my friends have received them and I wont be able to join them though. It wouldn’t be a big deal if we lived near by. We’d just throw a small party or something and huddle around their screen, but we live in different states so this wont be possible. Still, there is always live streaming like twitch, so its not entirely impossible for us all to “experience” it together.

Posted by: muckshifter.9731

muckshifter.9731

Why bother when the Beta won’t be played in your timezone?

Posted by: GrandHaven.1052

GrandHaven.1052

While I normally have an issue with SOME of the reward systems based around RNG in this game(looking at you, fractals), I have no issue with this portal drop being based on RNG.
After on and off farming for a few days I went on an 18hour bingefarm through Saterday night into Sunday morning to finally get it around 10AM.
And my was it the most fun I had in a long time, was commie at indigo and met some of the funniest and coolest people in game and played hours with them, we stayed on map without breach hopping, made jokes, some even stayed even after dropping the portal so much fun was being had.

In short, I think enjoying the journey should be just as important as the end result, however MAKING it fun is up to each of us individually.

(edited by GrandHaven.1052)

lordkrall.7241

Why bother when the Beta won’t be played in your timezone?

You are assuming that it will be available couple of hours at most.
That is rather unlikely. It is much more likely that it will be a couple of days.
It is most likely a real beta after all and not a stress-test as last time.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

BrotherBelial.3094

Seems the split is about 50/50. I’m looking forward as to see what ANet will do for the next one.