Abaddon Releasing Chaos Energy/Magic?

in Lore

Posted by: webtoehobbit.4201

webtoehobbit.4201

So I am in the basic stages of forming a theory, but one key element of it is whether or not Abaddon did or did not release Chaos Energy/Magic upon his death.

I have seen more than a few people claim that he did upon death, but I have not, as of yet, been able to find an official source for this, is anyone able to state a source of this knowledge?

Many thanks!

in Lore

Posted by: Eluveitie.1290

Eluveitie.1290

He did release magic upon his death, which then was taken by Kormir in order to ascend to goodhood.

“Later, the players reunite with her in Nightfallen Jahai. The players then storm the Gates of Pain and Madness before reaching Abaddon’s Gate. The weakened god is chained and destroyed, and as his unbound magics spiral out of control, Kormir, using the gift the gods gave her in the Temple of the Six Gods, runs into and absorbs it, thus preventing the world from being destroyed. In the process, she usurps his position as god and becomes the Goddess of Truth.”

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Kormir

in Lore

webtoehobbit.4201

See, this is what I find interesting, how a Gods magic or essence can basically be absorbed and then one can become a God themselves.

See, with the new Thaumanova Reactor fractal, Scarlet says that Chaos Energy is a misnomer for Dragon Energy. I looked up the word misnomer to get an exact definition, and it’s defined as basically giving a name to something before it is fully understood. So according to Scarlet, Chaos Energy IS Dragon Energy.

Going with this train of thought, I recalled that people have stated that Abaddon released Chaos Energy when he died and released it into the world. (Once again, I haven’t come across anything that states this as fact) And if indeed Chaos Energy is Dragon energy and if Abaddon released Chaos Energy upon death, then does that mean that Abaddon was basically made up of Dragon Energy??

Now people might say, that’s rediculous, but here’s where I think it may not be. Back during the Cutthroat Politics patch, we had two choices for fractals, Thaumanova or Abaddon, and I always thought that was quite the contrast to choose from. I think that ANet more or less was wanting to tell a part of the story and they had a few ideas on how they could do that, they boiled it down to either Thaumanova or Abaddon and let us choose how we wanted to see that part of the story be told.

Now what major story points did we learn in the Thaumanova fractal? Two things:
1) Chaos Energy is Dragon Energy
2) There are magical ley lines beneath the surface of Tyria

They used Scarlet in the Thaumanova fractal to relay this information because she is insanely knowledgable and would know such things, but in the Abaddon fractal, I believe that we would’ve learned the same things more or less but just told differently. If in fact Abaddon did release Chaos Energy upon his fall then we might learn about Chaos Energy that way.

Which then brings me to my next point, which is the theory I am kinda coming up with. I know that this has been brought up before, as far as the Gods and the Dragons connections, and most people shoot it out of the water, and that’s fine, but I am not sure (due to lack of a good search engine on this forum) as to whether this has been brought up yet or not.

I feel like if indeed Abaddon was comprised of Chaos Energy, which is in fact Dragon Energy, then maybe once the Elder Dragons fell before, they didn’t die per se, but rather, upon their defeat, released their Dragon Energy back into the ley lines that course beneath the planet when they went back to a dormant state. And with all this energy there in the ley lines, maybe that’s where the Gods came from, cause they came AFTER the Dragons fall. Maybe it’s a cycle, and the Gods and Dragons are just bodies that are used to house this Energy for a time. First the Dragons come and devour the magic, killing things off, and then when their job is done, the Gods absorb this Energy and return to Tyria, but they are benevolent beings so their job is to work with the new species, help them grow and evolve into self sufficient beings and then once their work is done they depart from the world, releasing the Energy back into the ley lines, and the Elder Dragons then slowly start absorbing this energy until they have enough to awaken and start the process all over again.

I am thinking along the lines of the Mass Effect story and the Reapers if that makes any of what I said easier to understand, a cycle of life and death.

That’s my thoughts now since the release of the Thaumanova fractal.

(edited by webtoehobbit.4201)

in Lore

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

“See, with the new Thaumanova Reactor fractal, Scarlet says that Chaos Energy is a misnomer for Dragon Energy. I looked up the word misnomer to get an exact definition, and it’s defined as basically giving a name to something before it is fully understood. So according to Scarlet, Chaos Energy IS Dragon Energy”

Mismomer means wrongly named or not taking a meaning from the literal name. So in this case she is saying that chaos energy should be called something else since the name is not literally correct and probably misleading. This could be related to dragon energy or could be referring to the organized patterns of ley lines around Tyria.

in Lore

Posted by: Psynch.4087

Psynch.4087

“See, with the new Thaumanova Reactor fractal, Scarlet says that Chaos Energy is a misnomer for Dragon Energy. I looked up the word misnomer to get an exact definition, and it’s defined as basically giving a name to something before it is fully understood. So according to Scarlet, Chaos Energy IS Dragon Energy”

Mismomer means wrongly named or not taking a meaning from the literal name. So in this case she is saying that chaos energy should be called something else since the name is not literally correct and probably misleading. This could be related to dragon energy or could be referring to the organized patterns of ley lines around Tyria.

Came here to point this out as well. What Scarlet revealed here really turns the idea of chaos magic on its ear.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Firstly, divine magic is not chaos magic. We don’t really know much about the divinity of the gods, except that it is indestructible – a note on other magic: it is hard to destroy, but possible according to an asura in Straits of Devastation (at the gate on southern invasion path if under Pact control).

I have seen someone make a mention of how Abaddon is tied to chaos magic before, though not upon his death, but I would like to note that the only god tied to chaos magic is Lyssa; not Abaddon, and certainly not upon death.

Scarlet does NOT say that chaos energy is dragon energy. She merely stated that what the Inquest initially thought was chaos energy was dragon energy – I’m not sure where this really comes from, however, as no dragon has a connection to chaos magic as far as we know – something which does exist and I see more similarities to chaos magic than draconic magic in Thaumanova. Furthermore, if you talk to Kiel after the story instance, she clarifies that the facility was originally intended to research chaos magic, but delved later into dragon energy. It is likely that they started with chaos magic but expanded their range of chaos magic, eventually mistaking certain dragon energy for chaos magic.

About leading the same things despite the Fractal – doubtful. ArenaNet stated they had two story concepts and would have gone with the one focused on in the fractal chosen.

And lastly, about the dragons previous defeat – there was no such thing. This is the first (recorded/known) cycle in which the Elder Dragons had felt true pressure. The previous rise only manage to starve them into hibernation – no death, no release of magic that wouldn’t otherwise occur, etc.

It should also be noted that all magic in the world of Tyria has at one point cycled through the Elder Dragons – magic goes through a cycle of “in the world” to “in the dragons” back to “in the world.” Rinse, repeat.

So in effect, “all magic is dragon energy.” What makes dragon energy corruptive is the active use of it to corrupt by the Elder Dragon, not its existence. In a way it is “chaos magic is dragon energy” but only in the way that any other magic is dragon energy. But dragon energy is considered unique amongst magic, so just having been once eaten by the dragons doesn’t make it dragon energy – not in the way that the Inquest mean at least, which is “corruptive magic” more or less.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Posted by: bobbles.5940

bobbles.5940

I’d love to know where this idea of Abaddon having anything to do with chaos magic comes from , I’ve not seen anything ingame myself. I played GW1 since launch (and still do on occasion) and chaos magic was/is always associated with Lyssa (as I have seen others state , most noticeably Konig on this forum a few times) for some reason this little bit of well stated/proven/known(?) lore seems to get totally ignored. Abaddon was the god of water and secrets

• Lyssa was/is Goddess of beauty and illusion, also the patron goddess of Mesmers with whom chaos magic was associated with in GW1

(edited by bobbles.5940)

in Lore

webtoehobbit.4201

And that’s what the origin of this thread was, cause I have seen numerous people claim it but where does it say it? Where was it mentioned? Or are people just making up lore as they go?

in Lore

Posted by: Eluveitie.1290

Eluveitie.1290

Huh, I misunderstood you.

Thought when you said “Chaos Energy/Magic” you meant if he released one or the other (if I’m not too rusty on my lingüistics understanding “/” means “or” and that’s why I thought you were asking about two different things). And thus, I gave the answer that he did release magic, but not chaos actually.

But on to your question, what people have claimed this and what’s their source? I imagine they must have gotten the idea out of somewhere. If they don’t have any, they most likely just made it up themeselves.

(edited by Eluveitie.1290)

in Lore

Posted by: bobbles.5940

bobbles.5940

And that’s what the origin of this thread was, cause I have seen numerous people claim it but where does it say it? Where was it mentioned? Or are people just making up lore as they go?

The first thing I can recall about Abaddon / chaos magic / scarlett was due to the concept art from Tower of Nightmares and the toxic hybrid having 6 eyes , so obviously that means he must be a minion of Abaddon /s.

Since then everybody seems to be kittening about Abbadon , Scarlet and chaos magic.

Hate to break it to you but Abaddon is dead. I killed him and Kormir took his power and became a Goddess and Abaddon as far as I know or can recall has never had anything to do with Chaos magic anyway .

So to answer your question , Yes as far as I can tell people are in fact just making lore up.

Other Gods such as Menzies and Dhuum were usurped and replaced by Balthazaar and Grenth respectively. They were however not killed. Abbadon banished to the realm of torment and not killed.

Then we the PC’s went to the realm of torment and killed him, he is dead.

(edited by bobbles.5940)