Abaddon's Death

Abaddon's Death

in Lore

Posted by: Ivan.3401

Ivan.3401

So just a quick question here I thought about while playing gw2. When abaddon died and Kormir absorbed his energy, what happened to his body? Since it is shown that normal beings can be elevated to godhood (ie Grenth), wouldn’t that mean that gods can be cast down back to normal beings? If so, I would love to see a cast down abaddon with no god powers as whatever his original race was (human right?).

Or did Anet just pull a whole “he’s really dead this time” thing?

Abaddon's Death

in Lore

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

The exact quote was “he’s gone for good this time” I think.

Abaddon's Death

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

So just a quick question here I thought about while playing gw2. When abaddon died and Kormir absorbed his energy, what happened to his body? Since it is shown that normal beings can be elevated to godhood (ie Grenth), wouldn’t that mean that gods can be cast down back to normal beings? If so, I would love to see a cast down abaddon with no god powers as whatever his original race was (human right?).

Well from the perspective of the Charr and Asura there is no such thing as a god, only extremely powerful entities. It’s really only the humans that call them gods. So it comes down to what is the difference between a god and say an elder dragon (since both are powerful and both can be killed).
As for race, we don’t know if the gods are humans with a massive magic power-up or if they’re a human-like entity. Well we know that Grenth is half-human, and in GW we know hybrids (i.e. half norn, half charr) cannot exist. Of course then again gods, one would reason, should be able to do miraculous things.

Abaddon's Death

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

In lore by all indications, his original body was destroyed when he rebelled during the events leading to the Exodus. According to gw1’s dat, some descriptions of locations were found which described various gates in the Realm of Torment as where Abaddon pulled materials to create a new body – hence why his body in Nightfall is just a giant head and two gigantic arms which look rather sinewy and twisted.

When killed in Nightfall, we see this ‘body’ of his – this head and arms – fall into an abyss as his godly essence is forced out of him through cracks as his body breaks apart. To quote the PC: “Abaddon is breaking up!” This was rather literal.

So it seems to me that in order for his godly essence to leave his body, his body literally disintegrated.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Abaddon's Death

in Lore

Posted by: Thz.7569

Thz.7569

snip

This is kind of confusing. If his body was destroyed back then, wouldn’t his energy have leaked out for someone else to take at that time?

It’s a shame he wasn’t able to still be here in some form like Dhuum has. Oh well. I’ll just continue wishing more people voted for the Abaddon fractal.

Abaddon's Death

in Lore

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

When a god is killed the amount of energy released is incredible. Kormir was given a “gift” from the gods that allowed her to absorb the power of abadon.

On another note (please correct me if I’m wrong here) I think Kormir was actually dead and it was her sprit that follows us in the realm of torment.

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

Abaddon's Death

in Lore

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

When a god is killed the amount of energy released is incredible. Kormir was given a “gift” from the gods that allowed her to absorb the power of abadon.

On another note (please correct me if I’m wrong here) I think Kormir was actually dead and it was her sprit that follows us in the realm of torment.

She survived Gandara, we rescue her, then Abaddon pulls her into the RoT while she is still alive. So she’s still alive.

Abaddon's Death

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

snip

This is kind of confusing. If his body was destroyed back then, wouldn’t his energy have leaked out for someone else to take at that time?

It’s worth noting that he was bound by chains forged by another god. If it’s true that he had no body until recently, I’d bet the purpose of those chains was to keep his essence bound together- no catastrophe, but with the side effect that he ‘survived’.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Abaddon's Death

in Lore

Posted by: Ivan.3401

Ivan.3401

Which god forged those chains? Balthazar I’m assuming correct?

Also, what happened to Abaddon’s main henchman the fortuneteller? Surely he/she (cant remember) must still be around?

Abaddon's Death

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Yep, Balthazar. And we killed the fortune teller, and its Tyrian counterpart Razakel, during Nightfall.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Abaddon's Death

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

It’s a shame he wasn’t able to still be here in some form like Dhuum has. Oh well. I’ll just continue wishing more people voted for the Abaddon fractal.

Dhuum wasn’t fully usurped. There was a transfer of power, but Grenth couldn’t kill Dhuum.

As for why Abaddon didn’t destroy… who said he didn’t? Remember, his defeat is the moment that the Crystal Sea became the Crystal Desert…

She was very much pulled into the Realm of Torment living and alive, and we see her in the same appearance and form.

However, it should be noted that Koss’s autobiography, Koss on Koss, does mention that Kormir sacrificed her life and died when she became a god. However, this may be metaphorical in one of two ways – first, that she’s no longer mortal; second, and more likely, because the ‘identity’ of Kormir is no more, as when she absorbed Abaddon’s godly power she also absorbed his knowledge, memory, and even his will (though she said it is broken). When asked if she was still Kormir, she replied with “No. Yes. Kormir. And much more.” indicating that ‘Kormir’ was dead, and replaced by a new being – a being of both Kormir and Abaddon merged.

Also, what happened to Abaddon’s main henchman the fortuneteller? Surely he/she (cant remember) must still be around?

We killed all major players under Abaddon’s chain of command. And in some cases, went after and defeated their spirits.

The only one that escaped was the nigh immortal Shiro’ken called The Hunter. We did defeat it, but couldn’t kill it. So that fella may still be around wrecking havoc.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)