Abbadon, first champion of Zhaitan ?

in Lore

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

Lately I re-read Sea of Sorrows and I just thought how convenient it had been for Zhaitan to fall (asleep) at a place which would be devastated before its next rise….
Every Elder Dragon disposes of a material it can corrupt : Primordus has plenty of rocks it can turn into mockeries of live beings, Jormag is surrounded by corruptible ice that helps to propagate its corruption, Kralkatorik corrupted a huge piece of land by its breath and supposedly Mordremoth has plenty of plants to corrupt.
Zhaitan needs corpses to turn them from dead to undead. But in the mean time the available quantity must be big enough to create a first army to spread its corruption. Is it only luck that so many people died around its body and that the land collapsed so that waking up would create the huge tsunami it did ?

Just imagine one second that, in 1219, Orr was still the nation it was 250 years ago, founded over the rest of the beast. What would have happened ? A crater, some deaths maybe turned into risen but no dead ships, not so many corpses to play with.

From what I remember, it has been stated that the Cataclysm in Orr didn’t had any influence on Zhaitan’s cycle… but what if it was the other way around, what if the scene had been prepared for its return?

If we follow that trail we find …… Abbadon.

So I was wondering, Abbadon being a god of secret, could he have been aware of the existence of the Dragon below the ground? I mean, the humans gods lived in a city in which there was a Jotun (from Shiverpeaks) telescope, a Forgotten altar used to free Glint (Glint and the Forgotten aknowledging the Gods while preceeding them) and presumably the bloodstone (or at least its first form). Was it really possible for the Gods to ignore the existence of Zhaitan and its location ?

In that context, when Abbadon released magic in Tyria, it could have been to accelerate Zhaitan awakening (like putting a hot sandwich in front of a sleeping dog). It could be an explanation of why the Frogotten actually helped the Gods against Abbadon.
Then from the realm of torment, Abbadon prepared his revenge by making Khilbron release the Cataclysm and by setting up the Nightfall to come back in a Tyria with a place full of dead bodies ready to be corrupted.

Does it seem plausible ?

in Lore

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

With these writers, anything is possible.
Their job description is changing the established lore to make elder dragons exist.

in Lore

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

The human gods almost definitely knew of the elder dragons

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

But what if the Great Destroyer was actually a champion of Zhaitan? It would make sense since he is made out of lava and everybody knows that lava kills people. Those burned corpses can then be turned into Risen by Zhaitan. Also he is called the Great Destroyer like the destroyers, the minions of Primordus, who as everyone knows is also a champion of Zhaitan.

But here comes the crazy part! Zhaitan is just the champion of the true master mind behind the dragon corruption! Bloomanoo! That’s why he always appears right before tragedies happen!

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

in Lore

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

I was more focused on giving a lot of corpses in and around Orr… I know death happens everywhere, just I was wondering if the place where the dragon using dead had been purposely fuelled of dead corpses.

in Lore

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

The undead dragon slumbers under a pile or corpses. The jungle dragon rests in an untamed wilderness. The dragon of ice abides in the frozen northlands.

Coincidence?

How much has been documented of the nature of these dragons in their previous cycles?

in Lore

Posted by: SpeedFiend.4521

SpeedFiend.4521

If anything, Abaddon gifted the races with the uber overkill magic of infinite destruction to deal with the dragons. Sure, the majority of the intelligent races would die out in the power struggle leading up to the EDs awakening, but the survivors would have an incredibly easy life (refer to the accounts of life in Orr where commoners accomplish impossible tasks through magic).

Consider how the Bloodstones diluting magic made Abaddon angry enough to attack the other gods. You really think he’d be okay with dragons who not only consume magikittenil there’s just about nothing left, but also do so by corrupting it?

Edit: Apparently you can’t say until right after magic, dohohoho.

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

The human gods almost definitely knew of the elder dragons

The latest LS implied as much, but we lack definite evidence. The most notable piece we have is:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Prosperity%27s_Mystery
Namely the line that reads:
“Ancient documents, found now in the Durmand Priory’s collection, reveal accounts passed down by other races such as the powerful Seers and even the human gods themselves.”

in Lore

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

If Abbadon is Zhaitan’s champion then maybe the other elder dragons are as well. Maybe instead of them waking up he bring them back from the dead after they starve themselves to death.

in Lore

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

I’d think that its the Elder Dragons who effect their surroundings even while sleeping that made these coinciding effect so obvious. Kralkatorrik/Crystals/Searing crystals, Zhaitan/Undeath/Cataclysm of Orr and Undead rising, But these two are the only ones we can point at and draw a connection to Abaddon. The third cataclysmic even associated to Abaddon’s influence is the Jade Wind, but that one is both the most remotely associated with him (debatably), and the one we dont know about having the theme of a dragon.

My theory would be that the two cataclysmic events (the Searing and the Cataclysm) used powers that drew directly from the raw magics of the most nearby Elder Dragons. That would explain why Khilbron’s scroll was locked in the vaults of Arah and declared as forbidden, and how the Flame legion shamans could amplify a single Titan’s power to the magnitude to burn down the entirety of Ascalon.

If the magic that Abaddon gave away so freely had this much potential, and more importantly this kind of source (meaning the Elder Dragons), its no wonder that the other gods wanted to shut him down. While Abaddon would have wanted the races of Tyria to have all the magic they could possibly have to deal with the dragons (which might have been a bad plan, seeing how dragons feast on magic), the other gods wanted to wait out to see how humanity can fit into Tyria, and prevent them from destroying themselves with the unfiltered magical power in the meantime. Hence their disagreement.

in Lore

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

I doubt Abaddon was a Champion of Zhaitan. After all, he was a god back then, more or less, a fallen god.
I doubt Gods and Dragons has anything in commen.

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|