About Scarlet

About Scarlet

in Lore

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Apparently there’s a great interview about Scarlet on wartower.de

Would love to hear it because supposedly it makes Scarlet a lot more fun as a character than our first glance has given us.

However, I can’t seem to open the podcast so I was wondering if somebody would be willing to provide a link to maybe youtube or something so I can learn about it as well (text is also good).

And on a sidenote…why isn’t any of this on the official website (or better yet, ingame)? Why do we have to surf the entire web just to get some scrap of what’s going on ingame?

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

About Scarlet

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

The lore gained from it has been put on Scarlet’s GW2W article

Here is an alternative link to the interview: http://www.wartower.de/artikel/artikel.php?id=740

And on a sidenote…why isn’t any of this on the official website (or better yet, ingame)? Why do we have to surf the entire web just to get some scrap of what’s going on ingame?

Because … well, I’ll just quote Bobby Stein on this:

It seems like there’s some misunderstanding regarding the purpose of the short stories that we publish on the Web site. They are not meant to “write outside the game” such that the game is unplayable without them, nor are they meant to provide vital information to the in-game story for a particular Living World release. They are purely optional stories meant to provide additional context and lore for those who care. If we felt that the inclusion of this information was critical to understanding the plot or playing the content then we would put it inside the game, plain and simple.

On a related note, some of the lore stories use imagery or situations that would be more difficult, time consuming, or expensive to replicate in the game. Some wouldn’t add anything meaningful to gameplay. So if you’re finding it stressful that these optional pieces exist external to a Living World release, I suggest not reading them.

You also have to keep in mind that we’re pacing the Living World stories such that you may not understand the full picture inside a given release. For example, Scarlet made her first appearance in August but she was hinted at in prior months. Her story has not resolved at this time, therefore we haven’t divulged some significant details about her origins or motivations. It’s understandable why some people would be upset or impatient by not getting these details all at once, but rest assured that we’re not conveniently forgetting about these tidbits—we’re just saving them for later.

TL;DR – they want to give something for players to dig for, so those who aren’t interest in the lore don’t have to sit through it. And they’re releasing things in small bits at the time, because “we’re just saving them for later”.

Honestly, if they’re willing to give these things up in a short story, forum posts, or in an interview, they should be in the game somehow. Regardless of how. Rox and Braham’s stories (all three) have been good thus far because all the important facts from those three stories have been placed in the game at some point. The rest? Not so much.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

About Scarlet

in Lore

Posted by: Drakkon.4782

Drakkon.4782

I wasn’t aware that GW2 was supposed to be an Augmented Reality game. I thought I bought a video game and that it would contain the things relevant to it’s play and story in the game. I didn’t realize I would need to have library card, newspaper subscriptions and be a member of the Smithsonian to get the whole story.

On the other hand, she’s just a poorly written Mary Sue villain, possibly a self-insert by one of the devs, so it isn’t like I care about her, either. But if that’s how they handle the lore, I’m very disappoint.

“People don’t hate Scarlet the way Game of Thrones
fans hate Joffrey. They hate her the way Star Wars
fans hate Jar Jar Binks.”-not a direct quote, but still true.

About Scarlet

in Lore

Posted by: Harsekyugan.4672

Harsekyugan.4672

I have more lore about Scarlet for you. I know who her archenemy is. ME ! Why else would she attack me during her latest invasion every … three … minutes? She attacked me when I was soloing event., when I was in less populated event., when I was chopping tree with no events in sight, etc. – she really wants me dead … nah, just kidding :-)

Attachments: