Aetherblade Ship Names?

Aetherblade Ship Names?

in Lore

Posted by: Jabronius.8674

Jabronius.8674

Greetings. After all the encounters I’ve seen with the Aetherblades and perusing the official web sited and wiki, I have yet to come across a named Aetherblade airship. The Dead Ships used by the Risen often have names, for example.

Have I missed something? If not, why don’t the Aetherblades name their ships, or is it just that the rest of Tyria doesn’t know the names? Maybe it’s not important?

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Aetherblade Ship Names?

in Lore

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Well the Risen have the Ash Horizon… but did they actually call their ship that, or did we? Do any of the Risen refer to their ship by name in any of the dialogues? I can’t remember.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Aetherblade Ship Names?

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

I don’t think so… and there is this line: "An Orrian bone ship that we call “The Blight”" sounds like it’s a name they’ve just picked. But also keep in mind that in lore, there’s a much greater variety than the two models we see in game, and some ships would have their names painted on the side. Aetherblade ships are all made to the same specifications, so there’s nothing distinguishing one from another, and therefor no sense in naming them.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Aetherblade Ship Names?

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Aetherblade ships are all made to the same specifications, so there’s nothing distinguishing one from another, and therefor no sense in naming them.

The same could be said for boats, planes and cars. I’m sure a Aetherblade crew serving on an airship for long enough would probably give the ship a nickname at least. From a purely pragmatic stance large scale operations involving multiple air ships would be horribly complicated (airship fifth from the right, go to Point A, airship with the two charrs on deck go to Point C).

Aetherblade Ship Names?

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Aetherblade ships are all made to the same specifications, so there’s nothing distinguishing one from another, and therefor no sense in naming them.

The same could be said for boats, planes and cars. I’m sure a Aetherblade crew serving on an airship for long enough would probably give the ship a nickname at least. From a purely pragmatic stance large scale operations involving multiple air ships would be horribly complicated (airship fifth from the right, go to Point A, airship with the two charrs on deck go to Point C).

I agree. My statement was from the player character’s perspective- the various crews on the other side are obviously a different story, but we have no means to nor interest in knowing those nicknames.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Aetherblade Ship Names?

in Lore

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

If the villain’s ships had been named then we would have seen more named ships than named villains, honestly.

Aetherblade Ship Names?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

They call them “Cannon Fodder 1” “Cannon Fodder 2” “Cannon Fodder 3” etc. All on Scarlet’s orders, because they know and she knows that’s what they are – cannon fodder for the players.

To be serious though, no indication that they’re named. They may be, given that even if built to the same specifications (I’m looking at you Aaron) they’d still be given different names if for no other reason than ranking and division of which ship each person goes to work on.

If they are named, we may not see such because the Aetherblades never talk about, well, much at all honestly. I think Mai and Horrik were the only talking Aetherblades – aside from those in Twilight Arbor.

Well the Risen have the Ash Horizon… but did they actually call their ship that, or did we? Do any of the Risen refer to their ship by name in any of the dialogues? I can’t remember.

Most of the Risen ships seem to be using their pre-Risen names. See Sea of Sorrows (Indomitable, The Harbinger, etc). Others seem to be named by others as Aaron pointed out with The Blight.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Aetherblade Ship Names?

in Lore

Posted by: Naetell.3815

Naetell.3815

Considering the Inquest have a hand in building these things, they may just be named by serial number.