All sylvari heard the call?

in Lore

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

This might be a stretch but……did “all the sylvari heard the call”? (said word by word on the article.) such as the ones in LA?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Probably, but hearing != answering

Edit: Or, technically, listening/paying attention/caring for it

I wouldn’t be surprised if some sylvari – particularly those further away – end up going “Mordremoth’s call? Is that was that annoying garbling I keep hearing is?”

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Laranthir was probably referring to all the sylvari aboard the Pact fleet. Still, if the scene we saw of Canach getting attacked by the Seraph (in the stinger for HoT in Point of No Return) is any indication, this could very well soon spread to sylvari in other areas as well.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The article eduardo mentions. Not said by Laranthir.

To quote:

All the sylvari in the area have heard the call, but so far only some have succumbed to the dragon’s influence.

So the OP was slightly mistaken as he missed the “in the area” which changes the meaning drastically.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

from the article it seems to shed a little nature on how the dream protects sylvari:

it’s a distraction.

the “constant noise” that soundless complain about is the whole POINT of the dream, it’s so noisy that unless mordremoth is actively shouting as loud as he can, they just can’t hear him over the crowd.

and the wyld hunts are a distraction to keep you busy and not pay attention to the whispers.

that’s why the soundless are so sussceptible: their minds are so quiet that they can hear mordremoth all the time!

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

from the article it seems to shed a little nature on how the dream protects sylvari:

it’s a distraction.

the “constant noise” that soundless complain about is the whole POINT of the dream, it’s so noisy that unless mordremoth is actively shouting as loud as he can, they just can’t hear him over the crowd.

and the wyld hunts are a distraction to keep you busy and not pay attention to the whispers.

that’s why the soundless are so sussceptible: their minds are so quiet that they can hear mordremoth all the time!

I wonder if nightmare court hears it stronger as well.

I think I saw Faolin killing pact soldiers in the one trailer, alongside other sylvari and mordrem.

in Lore

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

it’s a distraction.

I think I saw Faolin killing pact soldiers in the one trailer, alongside other sylvari and mordrem.

People say that about Faolin a lot, but if you actually look at the trailer then this seems not be the case. The corrupted enemies in that trailer glow red-ish. Faolin does not glow in this way, but the pact soldier she kills does (slightly).

in Lore

Calcifire.1864

it’s a distraction.

I get the feeling that they don’t, if anything they may be MORE resistant, considering that theyre evil for evil’s sake anyway

if mordremoth whispered “join me and fulfil your destiny!” a NC sylvari would probably say “no thanks, I’m good with torturing these innocents”

plus it’s probably difficult to break someone mentally when they’re squealing with pleasure and giving their tormentors pointers on proper flaying technique.

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

it’s a distraction.

I don’t know. It’s possible but I had assumed by ‘distract’ they meant it less literally.

in Lore

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

I know my Sylvaris didn’t hear a dang thing

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

it’s a distraction.

It’s a distriction from the Mordrem Guard’s perspective.

If we learned anything from the risen in Orr, it’s that their personalities are twisted and warped from their original personality. A corrupted sylvari is NOT the same individual as before corruption. Or recorruption. Whatever.

Just like how in Sea of Sorrows, Bronn Svaard went from “kill all the risen!” to “join me, brother, and we shall serve Zhaitan for eternity!” the moment he became a risen, the sylvari are likely going “Kill the dragon!” to “The dragon is truth! The dragon is love! Feel my love! -stab-” the moment they become Mordrem Guard.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

it’s a distraction.

People say that about Faolin a lot, but if you actually look at the trailer then this seems not be the case. The corrupted enemies in that trailer glow red-ish. Faolin does not glow in this way, but the pact soldier she kills does (slightly).

Faolin is one of those villains who will team up with any other villain if they think it’ll get them what they want. I doubt that she ever really supported the cause of the nightmare court, except as it suited her.

The trouble with revolutionary organisations is that they tend to attract power obsessed narcissists, and end up being worse than the regime they aim to overthrow.

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Actually, rewatching it. The sylvari’s WEAPONS glowed red. They personally did not(for most of them at least). The mordrem troll did glow red across it’s body however.

The order of whispers warrior she kills has no glow, beside the red gem in the hilt of the sword.

Honestly, that was before the conversion to mordrem guard, and the way the scene is shown implies she was at a pact vs Sylvari and Mordrem fight.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see her as one of the mentioned commanders.

in Lore

Posted by: Azumi.9572

Azumi.9572

I think it would be extremely lazy writing to have the Nightmare Court become Mordrem.

I mean some of them? Absolutely. But Faolin and the like? Just lazy.

I think Faolin will resist, but a lot of if not all the other Nightmare Court will not.

I expect her to have a pretty decent sized part to play along with Caithe in HoT.

Imagine if Caithe turned but Faolin did not?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

If they do the NC writing good, there will be a schism between those who think it’s more important to be their ‘true selves’ (aka mordrem) and those who think it’s more important to decide their own fate (aka the basis of the NC’s founding).

Faolain never really gave off interest in either case until S2, where she was all about deciding her own fate. So it would be downright odd for her to accept Mordremoth.

People say that scene with Faolain in the trailer was humans vs sylvari and mordrem… but what if it was sylvari vs human vs mordrem?

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

According to the Points of Interest, Nightmare Court sylvari are no more (or less) likely to turn than Dream sylvari. Which suggests that the Nightmare was not actually a vehicle for Mordremoth to infiltrate and compromise the Dream as some have suggested.

If we start seeing a lot of anti-sylvari prejudice outside of the Heart of Maguuma region, though, the Nightmare Court may be able to present themselves as the only ones who can properly defend the sylvari against the mobs.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Now the question is, those that were near Modremoth turned while those further away heard the call but did not turned. Then, wouldn’t it make less sense if player characters enter the Maguuma Waste nearer to Modremoth, and do not turned. How those that make sense in the Lore? We already know that Ventari’s will/tablet is not foolproof as the Sylvari in the Pact all turned. I am suspecting that Laranthir is a mole as it also had already turned.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Not all those close to Mordremoth turned. As shown by Laranthir’s camp which is full of sylvari. Some might be moles, but why all of them? Wouldn’t make much sense story wise.

Especially since the sylvari PC have plot armors that make them ultimately invincible/immortal.

If we start seeing a lot of anti-sylvari prejudice outside of the Heart of Maguuma region, though, the Nightmare Court may be able to present themselves as the only ones who can properly defend the sylvari against the mobs.

“They can’t have the Dreamers. They’re a pain, but they are our pain!” – Scholar Faolain

Dear ANet writers,

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

CureForLiving.5360

Now the question is, those that were near Modremoth turned while those further away heard the call but did not turned. Then, wouldn’t it make less sense if player characters enter the Maguuma Waste nearer to Modremoth, and do not turned. How those that make sense in the Lore? We already know that Ventari’s will/tablet is not foolproof as the Sylvari in the Pact all turned. I am suspecting that Laranthir is a mole as it also had already turned.

Well the PC is a hero, and we can assume from that that the PC has gone through a lot of challenges and hardships which doubtlessly helped to strengthen their resolve and force of will. And since rejecting Mordy is a matter of will power…

in Lore

Calcifire.1864

not only that, the sylvari PC and Caithe have “kill the elder dragons” as their wyld hunt, that probably helps too since they believe that their entire reason for existing is to reject and destroy the dragons.

its probably hard to break through the mental barriers of an entity who is singlemindedly focused on destroying you specifically.

I wonder about trahearne? his hunt was “cleanse orr”, which is done now, and he wasn’t particularly strong willed in the first place (he mentioned a few times that he considered cleansing orr to be impossible until you showed up to help). not only that, he’s the leader of The Pact, and would be an AMAZING asset for Mordremoth if corrupted, he’d know pretty much everything about the pact, and it would be a major blow to our morale. I wouldn’t be too surprised if it turned out that the last mordrem commander we learn about is revealed to be trahearne to act as a sort of “it’s personal” motive for us, and to give a somewhat relateable antagonist (bonus points to ANet if he gets corrupted by Mordremoth exploiting his insecurities about his leadership skills, and making him think we’re bitter at him being the leader of the pact and getting caladbolg)

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

It also wouldn’t surprise me if it turns out that something that we’ve already done has granted the sylvari PC immunity. Canonwise, the PC has probably done all the dungeon paths, including taking part in a repeat of the ritual that cleansed Glint – while Twitchy was the focus of that ritual, simply taking part may also have granted the PC substantially increased resistance to Mordremoth if not immunity. Other events that the PC definitely DID take part in may also have granted increased resistance: we see, for instance, that Divine Fire can repel Mordrem, so while the Ritual Of Fake Ascension was not the real thing, it might nonetheless have resulted in greater resistance.

in Lore

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I honestly don’t see the nightmare court turning to Mordy. The entire ethos Faolain ascribes to is one of self determination. Mordy, just like the pale tree, is a force that claims to know what’s best for sylvari and denies them true free will.

See, both Mordy and the Pale Tree teach that all sylvari have a sort of innate destiny and it’s their duty to persue that destiny.

Faolain and the nightmare court hold to the philosophy that sylvari should determine for themselves their destiny by exploring all the facets of their being.

I think it’s more logical to see the nightmare court, or at least a faction of it, ally with the player against Mordy in a sort of enemy of my enemy deal, and wouldn’t be suprised to see Faolain take a keen interest in the physical transformation Sylvari go through when they submit to the call, and even seek to control it and perpetuate it throughout the court.

I also wouldn’t be suprised to see the nightmare court brutally evsicerate anyone mistreating sylvari and substantially growing the remaining court’s numbers this way. After all, the Pale Tree may not be in a position to protect her children at this point, but you can bet Faolain would take it upon herself to do so.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Lore

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

The Nightmare Court is tied to a force known as the Nightmare which as the Points of Interest reveal isn’t Mordremoth.

That means that Caithe lied about those hounds following the Shadow of the Dragon being servants of the Nightmare to keep Mordremoth’s ties to the Sylvari secret.

Of course we still don’t know what the Nightmare is aside from first appearing in Orr. It may be that Cadeyrn first started polluting the Dream at the time Caithe and Faolain first encountered it or it may be that something on Orr(either Zhaitan’s corruption, the Deep Sea Dragon’s corruption or remnant Nightfall corruption from Abaddon’s temple) followed Faolain to the Maguuma Jungle from within the Dream.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Caithe might not have lied. The Shadow of the Dream was within the Dream, which is the protection against sylvari.

It’s unclear if the Shadow of the Dragon in the Dream was a mordrem, or if the Shadow of the Dragon we see in Tyria was just Mordremoth copying that Dream’s recreation of a dragon to suit his means of psychological warfare (something we know many ED love doing).

In turn, since we don’t know if that Dream’s Shadow of the Dragon was part of Nightmare, Dream, or Mordremoth, we don’t know if those hounds were tied to Nightmare or Mordremoth. And we certainly don’t know if Caithe knew (she knew sylvari origins, but there’s no way should could have known that the Shadow of the Dragon would become/was Mordremoth’s champion without being told herself).

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: PseudoNewb.5468

PseudoNewb.5468

I honestly don’t see the nightmare court turning to Mordy. The entire ethos Faolain ascribes to is one of self determination. Mordy, just like the pale tree, is a force that claims to know what’s best for sylvari and denies them true free will.

See, both Mordy and the Pale Tree teach that all sylvari have a sort of innate destiny and it’s their duty to persue that destiny.

Faolain and the nightmare court hold to the philosophy that sylvari should determine for themselves their destiny by exploring all the facets of their being.

I dunno, I think/theorize:

The nigthmare court won’t “work” for Mordremoth, but it doesn’t mean they won’t do things that help Mordremoth.

It is free will that allowed Mordremoth to infiltrate the minds of Scarlet and Aerin. They wanted to be independent, but, as it seems, Sylvari may not be capable of independence, as long as Mordremoth lives. Mordremoth hides in the Syvari’s free will. When the Pale Tree guides the Sylvari to serve Ventari’s teaching, she pulls them away from free will. That guidance is the Pale Tree’s protection. The dream gives each Sylvari an identity before they can form an ‘independent’ one which will most certainly be one susceptible to become servant’s to Mordremoth.

Mordrem guards are Sylvari that willing serve the dragon, who follow the ‘destiny’ of Mordremoth. But Scarlet (maybe Aerin), clearly did not initially willingly server and are clearly not Mordrem Guard. The Mordrem guard are powerful, but they know who they server. Sylvari who reject Mordremoth, on the other hand, may not want to serve, but it is impossible to know if any ideas they have come up with will unknowingly help Mordremoth. If that last though they had was from free will, or an idea implanted by the dragon.

Mordremoth is a dragon of mind. It may easily force it’s way to break the will of some Sylvari to convert them to the Mordrem Guard. But it has shown that it can work in more subversive ways. Possibly to push even it’s enemies to do it’s own bidding.

in Lore

CureForLiving.5360

Of course we still don’t know what the Nightmare is aside from first appearing in Orr. It may be that Cadeyrn first started polluting the Dream at the time Caithe and Faolain first encountered it or it may be that something on Orr(either Zhaitan’s corruption, the Deep Sea Dragon’s corruption or remnant Nightfall corruption from Abaddon’s temple) followed Faolain to the Maguuma Jungle from within the Dream.

We do we learn this?

in Lore

Posted by: PepBerry.1602

PepBerry.1602

Geez, I’m really enjoying this discussion.

I think this will have some stellar writing on Anet’s part depending on what happens. Perhaps as some have suggested, the sylvari aren’t meant to have free will, which if that’s the case, would be a great twist on conventional story telling. In most stories, free will reigns supreme above all, but here it might be the worst thing for them.

If given free will, the sylvari open themselves to corruption by Mordy, but by forcing an identity (of its own design) on to every individual sylvari the Pale Tree actually protects them from his imposing will.

Perhaps the seed that the Pale Tree grew from is what led to the majority of sylvari being kind and just. That seed was planted and tended by Ronan and Venetari, two kind and just people. They gave the seed love and strove for peace in its presence, giving it a good upbringing similar to what it does for individual sylvari.

Ronan found it in a cave protected by monstrosities right? Seems like Mordy was trying to grow it himself and given the opportunity, they would’ve all turned out like Mordrem Gaurds.

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

Caithe might not have lied. The Shadow of the Dream was within the Dream, which is the protection against sylvari.

It’s unclear if the Shadow of the Dragon in the Dream was a mordrem, or if the Shadow of the Dragon we see in Tyria was just Mordremoth copying that Dream’s recreation of a dragon to suit his means of psychological warfare (something we know many ED love doing).

In turn, since we don’t know if that Dream’s Shadow of the Dragon was part of Nightmare, Dream, or Mordremoth, we don’t know if those hounds were tied to Nightmare or Mordremoth. And we certainly don’t know if Caithe knew (she knew sylvari origins, but there’s no way should could have known that the Shadow of the Dragon would become/was Mordremoth’s champion without being told herself).

My gut feeling is that the Dream’s Shadow of the Dragon is like the Eye of Zhaitan and other Risen in Light In The Darkness: a representation within the Dream of an existing creature.