Am I the only one that likes Scarlet?

in Lore

Posted by: blud.8174

blud.8174

Maybe this is Stockholm syndrome, but I’ve found myself rather endeared to the character the writers have come up with. I think, especially tomorrow, we’ll see that she’s not so much a bad person as a misled one. Admittedly, she may be psychotic without the entity’s influence as well.

Regardless, there are a lot of criticisms of Scarlet being a Mary Sue and they are justified, but she also represents a more complex character and story as will be apparent tomorrow.

It could also be that I am fond of characters that are so independent and driven. She also has a funny face, which I find more interesting and entertaining.

in Lore

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Nah, I just want her out of the game. I give Anet a pass on this first LS. I think they were learning as they went (despite the PR claim that it was all planned). I hope it wasn’t all planned and still this sloppy. No, I give it a pass and think the next season will be leagues better. That said, Scarlet has to go.

Attachments:

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

in Lore

Posted by: blud.8174

blud.8174

You know full well what I meant :P

I didn’t play GW1 so I’m not that familiar with Anet’s storytelling abilities. I certainly found the LS much more entertaining and involved than the personal story. So many missions in the latter 2/3 of the personal story seemed contrived and uninteresting.

I hope as we’re (I’m) tearfully giving Scarlet the final blow, she reaches up pointing towards your heart and says, “I’ll always be right here.”

in Lore

Posted by: Hopelessalchemist.4816

Hopelessalchemist.4816

Lol. I also like Scarlet. Her character was annoying in the beginning and she didn’t make much sense to me, but as the story progressed I grew (sorta?) attached to her. I’m excited to see where the story goes tomorrow

in Lore

Posted by: Slowpoke.2749

Slowpoke.2749

I started the game recently and have been catching on the story via the wiki and guildies while doing the Lion’s Arch event. To be honest, Scarlet is like an amalgation of the most popular villain tropes which makes her seem not only unhinged but disjointed as well.

in Lore

Saint.5647

I started the game recently and have been catching on the story via the wiki and guildies while doing the Lion’s Arch event. To be honest, Scarlet is like an amalgation of the most popular villain tropes which makes her seem not only unhinged but disjointed as well.

Even being with the game since launch, I tend to agree with you. Although lately they have made leaps and bounds worth of progress, she is still a lost cause in my book. The quicker they burry her, the faster they can move on to a more coherent story and villain.

Indeed, everything surrounding her has just been a big tropefest.

@blud: Yes…haha I couldn’t resist the reference though. The GW2 Anet doesn’t have many of the GW1 employees. I think the Story in GW1 was better but GW2 does have a lot of potential. It is somewhat community wide-agreed that the Personal Story (post orders) is very sloppy. The LS started with slow pacing and high potential for exposition but it was tied together by Scarlet and little to no lore-fitting exposition. As someone said, she just wasn’t a very good fit. A lot of their efforts went into forcing a puzzle piece where it didn’t belong.

Cheers and hope for a good Season 2!

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

in Lore

Posted by: Gaius.1425

Gaius.1425

I like her too.

I think a lot of people do not like her because Anet’s initial implementation of her was quite poor and deemed her just annoying. It was early and they’ve been learning from mistakes and testing different ways for LS introduction and storytelling. They’re starting to embrace what their dynamic story was meant to be and how it can truly impact the world. It’s getting better for sure. The ways they’ve given some of her backstory has greatly made up for her crazy, initial appearance for me.

Tbh I hope that she is a misunderstood anti-hero at this point. But that’s wishful thinking.. lol

in Lore

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I like her. I actually feel she makes a good villian, though the start of the living story did drop the ball on delivery overall. Given that nobody has ever attempted something like the Living Story before, though, I will gladly give ANet leeway on the first run, and I definitely expect the next season to be much better with all the lessons learned the first time.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Lore

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

I’ll admit, she did make me laugh at a few of her lines. Other than that...

Attachments:

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

in Lore

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I’m a HUGE fan of scarlet, then again I tend to be a fan of most Chaotic characters…. Still have my fingers crossed that we don’t stop her plans…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Lore

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

The concept of her was, and still is, interesting.
The implementation however was lacking, the build up was not that dramatic at points.
Her back story had elements that made me face palm at times.

Overall I liked the idea of Scarlet, but I’d rather see another type of villain come from ANet in the new Season. Actually I’d like to see more than one next season, but that’s just me hoping big.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Lore

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

I like the idea of Scarlet, I like that a lot. Not as big a fan of the implementation and pacing.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

in Lore

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I like the idea of Scarlet, I like that a lot. Not as big a fan of the implementation and pacing.

I thought Ceara was very interesting. I didn’t like Scarlet. She wears too many hats.

in Lore

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

I really liked Scarlet. She was a villain people hated. Y’know… like villains are supposed to be.

in Lore

Saint.5647

I thought Ceara was very interesting. I didn’t like Scarlet. She wears too many hats.

Wow easy….so hurtful

Glad she’s done. She was handled pretty poorly. Her end was nicely done though.

Attachments:

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur