Are Asurans Carnivorous?

Are Asurans Carnivorous?

in Lore

Posted by: XsWalrus.4371

XsWalrus.4371

I know, strange question, but let me say why I think this.

1. They developed as an underground race – where there’s no sunlight. In such places, most, if not all, animals are carnivorous – with lack of edible vegetation.

2. Their teeth are all pointed and piranha-like. They have no molars in any of the models.

3. It’s only recently they’ve been brought to the surface, so it’s likely the idea of trying to use artificial sunlight to grow plants would be relatively new to the species. Also, becoming omnivores doesn’t happen overnight with any species.

In short, I think they are, based off what I know of them.

Is there any dialogue in-game talking about their culinary tastes?

Are Asurans Carnivorous?

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Huh. Apparently there are no food vendors in Rata Sum. Odd.

Anyway, I know of at least one place where an asura mentions growing vegetables (ambient dialogue in the cave camp in Fireheart), and googling the issue reminds me that in the books Snaff puts together a omnivorous meal for himself, Zojja, and Eir (and Garm.) I feel like there’s been some other sort of out-of-game comment on the matter, but I can’t find it now. If anyone else remembers, though, feel free to speak up!

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

(edited by Aaron Ansari.1604)

Are Asurans Carnivorous?

in Lore

Posted by: Pyro.4765

Pyro.4765

No dialogue that I can think of, but a lot of their food kind of stretches the definition of food. Nutrient pills, things grown in test tubes, etc.

I think it’s likely that they were carnivorous at one point, but it seems they haven’t had a diet of primarily actual animals for a while.

Are Asurans Carnivorous?

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Yes. Look at their teeth. You don’t need a mouth full of razor sharp teeth to chew plants. Although I’d assume they’d be capable of being omnivores.

Are Asurans Carnivorous?

in Lore

Posted by: Bathos.6341

Bathos.6341

I think most inteligent species, regardless of origin are likely to be omnivores. Even charr, who absolutely would have started out as pure carnivores will eat some plants in their diet now (for example, strawberries).

Are Asurans Carnivorous?

in Lore

Posted by: Harnel.6810

Harnel.6810

Clearly, we need more cultural food dishes ingame.

Are Asurans Carnivorous?

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I think most inteligent species, regardless of origin are likely to be omnivores. Even charr, who absolutely would have started out as pure carnivores will eat some plants in their diet now (for example, strawberries).

Strawberries are probably not their favourite, I’m purely guessing of course, but since cats can’t taste sweet things maybe the same goes for Charr. But what we do know about Charr is that they have a large amount of cattle farming. In fact I don’t recall any crop fields in Ascalon.

Are Asurans Carnivorous?

in Lore

Posted by: Pyro.4765

Pyro.4765

I know, strange question, but let me say why I think this.

1. They developed as an underground race – where there’s no sunlight. In such places, most, if not all, animals are carnivorous – with lack of edible vegetation.

2. Their teeth are all pointed and piranha-like. They have no molars in any of the models.

3. It’s only recently they’ve been brought to the surface, so it’s likely the idea of trying to use artificial sunlight to grow plants would be relatively new to the species. Also, becoming omnivores doesn’t happen overnight with any species.

In short, I think they are, based off what I know of them.

Is there any dialogue in-game talking about their culinary tastes?

I just remembered that there’s a potato farm near Rata Sum. I don’t know if that means for sure that they eat plants (perhaps potatoes are the perfect flora for experimenting on), but it does mean it’s a possibility.

Are Asurans Carnivorous?

in Lore

Posted by: XsWalrus.4371

XsWalrus.4371

Pyro, want to know something interesting?

Apparently, for dogs (who are not omnivores), back in older days – people put little bits of meat inside of baked potatoes so they’d eat the potatoes and get full.

Dogs can eat potatoes, despite being a carnivorous species.

Might hold true for Asura – and, well, the potato thing does make sense. How many experiments do we have today involving potato alarm clocks and such?

Are Asurans Carnivorous?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Little known fact: the asura were on the surface centuries prior to GW1. From the Eye of the North manual:

It has been centuries since Asura were seen aboveground. In fact, until recently, many humans thought they were a myth. However, recent reports have confirmed their existence.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Are Asurans Carnivorous?

in Lore

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

If I’m not mistaken, two NPCs in Metrica Province at the crafting tables (in Desider Atum I think?) discuss making a meal for their lover. Fish I think it was?

Crafted for hours there…heard it at least forty times.

Visually they look like Stitch from that Disney movie. And he ate EVERYTHING.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Are Asurans Carnivorous?

in Lore

Posted by: Daniel Handler.4816

Daniel Handler.4816

Pyro, want to know something interesting?

Apparently, for dogs (who are not omnivores), back in older days – people put little bits of meat inside of baked potatoes so they’d eat the potatoes and get full.

Dogs can eat potatoes, despite being a carnivorous species.

Might hold true for Asura – and, well, the potato thing does make sense. How many experiments do we have today involving potato alarm clocks and such?

But it most certainty is not good for them. I doubt if Asura were carnivores, considering their intelligence, they would even consider eating potatos. I also imagine that asura approach culinary science with as much rigor as the other sciences. So I don’t even know if their food falls within our normal conception of “food.”

“Kentigem”-chief. Born cycle of Dusk. Wyld Hunt:
Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.

Are Asurans Carnivorous?

in Lore

Posted by: JohnLShannonhouse.1820

JohnLShannonhouse.1820

Near the crafting stations in Metrica they talk about if the crops grown in the fields and greenhouses are still edible after the reactor explosion and testing them first on the skritt. This clearly indicates they eat plant based foods.

Are Asurans Carnivorous?

in Lore

Posted by: Makjo.5138

Makjo.5138

I remember reading somewhere that the sharp teeth of the Asura came about from needing to feed on very tough fungus that grew in the subterranean environments they lived in.

Are Asurans Carnivorous?

in Lore

Posted by: Daniel Handler.4816

Daniel Handler.4816

I think because Asura are so scientific their concept of food has evolved beyond simpler qualifications.You stray into complicated ground if they are eating synthetic foods.

“Kentigem”-chief. Born cycle of Dusk. Wyld Hunt:
Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.