Are druid and Weh No Su the same ?

in Lore

Posted by: Pants Are Dangerous.2079

Pants Are Dangerous.2079

Hi,

I had a few questions regarding lore so I thought it would be best to post them in this forum so that lore experts could answer them.

The recent reveal of the Ranger’s elite specialization the Druid resembles Weh No Su. In Guild Wars 1, Druids were people in the Maguuma jungle who shed their physical form to become one with nature and in Factions Weh No Su was Canthan form of ascension.

Are Druids and Weh No Su the same ?
Is this a huge lore hint from ArenaNet ?
(Speculation) Are we going to see Cantha soon ?

Cheers

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Weh no Su – translation being Closer to the Stars – is the exact same thing as Ascension but with slightly different flavor to it. So no, Druids and Weh no Su are not the same thing. Unless the whole plot revolves around Ascension, it wouldn’t make sense for one profession to undergo it and others to not and even then it still wouldn’t be the same.

It should be noted that the Celestials of Cantha is not inherently tied to Weh no Su so much as the other way around – Celestials can exist without Weh no Su practices and trials.

There may be a relation between druid and celestials, but not likely to Weh no Su.

Though it does make me wonder about that header that they gave – Closer to the Stars.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Pants Are Dangerous.2079

Pants Are Dangerous.2079

Weh no Su – translation being Closer to the Stars – is the exact same thing as Ascension but with slightly different flavor to it. So no, Druids and Weh no Su are not the same thing. Unless the whole plot revolves around Ascension, it wouldn’t make sense for one profession to undergo it and others to not and even then it still wouldn’t be the same.

It should be noted that the Celestials of Cantha is not inherently tied to Weh no Su so much as the other way around – Celestials can exist without Weh no Su practices and trials.

There may be a relation between druid and celestials, but not likely to Weh no Su.

Though it does make me wonder about that header that they gave – Closer to the Stars.

The header for the class mechanic and the whole astrology theme is a very strong reference to Weh No Su. This makes me wonder if Anet hasn’t just given us a massive lore hint that the two are both related.

in Lore

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

It is possible the druid spirits and the celestials are a case of convergent evolution. Both could have gone through similar rites to transcend their mortal bodies to become immortal spirits with the Celestials attaining a position in the heavens and druids not wanting to leave Maguuma.

If so then the druids would have had similar magic to what the Celestials used to ascend, and the current GW2 druid is simply using the same powers the druids held before finally becoming spirit beings.