Ascalon as a non-Prophecies player

in Lore

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

He did develop the main story of Prophecies on his own. For Factions he had some help by then, but the lion’s share was still his.

Source required.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

in Lore

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Nah.

I already caved before. Do your own homework this time.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Posted by: Daniel Handler.4816

Daniel Handler.4816

He did develop the main story of Prophecies on his own. For Factions he had some help by then, but the lion’s share was still his.

Source required.

It’s also complete bullcrap. Obsidian doesn’t even read the sources he supplies.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2005/09/07/guild-wars-sorrows-furnace-interview

• He had a team of writers before Factions.
  • The main story was not under his sole control.
  • Even then lore was being rewritten to match game mechanics.

He has never claimed sole credit beyond being the world creator. World creation is outlines, ones that sometimes other people fill in.

• and this is the problem with the crux of your argument, Jess may have created the charr but he did not have sole control over how good or bad they were.
“Kentigem”-chief. Born cycle of Dusk. Wyld Hunt:
Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

Source required.

It’s also complete bullcrap. Obsidian doesn’t even read the sources he supplies.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2005/09/07/guild-wars-sorrows-furnace-interview

• He had a team of writers before Factions.
  • The main story was not under his sole control.
  • Even then lore was being rewritten to match game mechanics.

He has never claimed sole credit beyond being the world creator. World creation is outlines, ones that sometimes other people fill in.

• and this is the problem with the crux of your argument, Jess may have created the charr but he did not have sole control over how good or bad they were.

Lulz…that article didn’t say he didn’t write it. It just said he had help editing it. Which is to be expected.

All you have to do is email him, bud. That’s what I did. Excerpt from an email correspondence with him on March 22, 2013:

“As I mentioned before, I was the sole writer for the first installment. I wrote almost every word of that game. There was a small staff that worked on Factions. I did the main storyline and the cinematics, but there are actually many authors on that game. I started a story document for Nightfall before I left. Some of those elements made it into the shipped product. Others were rewritten.”

If you want, I can forward you both the whole email. Or maybe a screenshot if ya’ll like. Not all of it is relevant to this convo though.

Seriously though…just ask the guy. :-/

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Rednik.3809

“As I mentioned before, I was the sole writer for the first installment. I wrote almost every word of that game. There was a small staff that worked on Factions. I did the main storyline and the cinematics, but there are actually many authors on that game. I started a story document for Nightfall before I left. Some of those elements made it into the shipped product. Others were rewritten.”

So we have a guy who created texts for game and some of those texts are made it to final version, others was rewritten/replaced. And you was trying to push him as “sole creator of first campaign”, to prove your point about some mythical “true GW1”, which was twisted later by evil charr-loving Anet writers.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

So we have a guy who created texts for game and some of those texts are made it to final version, others was rewritten/replaced. And you was trying to push him as “sole creator of first campaign”, to prove your point about some mythical “true GW1”, which was twisted later by evil charr-loving Anet writers.

Some of those elements made it into the shipped product… for Nightfall.

Lern to read.

Also, I actually like the Charr as a fantasy race. My issue was never with them personally.

:-/

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Rednik.3809

Where exactly it says Nightfall? He don’t say “some of those last elements”.

25 charracters

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

Where exactly it says Nightfall? He don’t say “some of those last elements”.

LOL. mkay.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Posted by: Daniel Handler.4816

Daniel Handler.4816

Jess Lebow: Guild Wars is always evolving. The story documents change daily. We try to develop game mechanics to match the plot points in the story, but oftentimes it works the other way around, as well; we create new and parallel storylines around fun gameplay. In Sorrow’s Furnace, for example, players will encounter something we call Pulverizers. These are just what you would expect&#Array;giant pieces of mining equipment that can smash a player (or anything, for that matter) to smithereens. The original story documents for the Furnace didn’t include any smashy stuff. But they were so much fun that we rewrote the story to include them, seamlessly working them into the rest of the environment.

Anyone can quote text. While your interpretation of the email is correct. It differ from ones in the things you source. But keep portraying him as something more than one who outlined a story.

“Kentigem”-chief. Born cycle of Dusk. Wyld Hunt:
Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.