Ascalonian ministers

Ascalonian ministers

in Lore

Posted by: Vilenia.3081

Vilenia.3081

Citizen: What’s goinh on?
Citizen (2): Another ministry meeting. More wasted talk and taxes.
Citizen: Ever wonder why there aren’t more Ascalonian ministers?
Citizen (2): The usual. No land, no vote.

Main question :
Does that mean that ministers have to own land, or just that the ministry can only have ministers from human lands ?

Additional question :
Does the ministry in Divinity’s Reach have anything to do with Ebonhawke, outside of Kryta sending them supplies and hosting their wounded soldiers in the Vanguard hospital ?

The only ascalonian minister I ever heard of was Minister Brios, from the Ascalon Settlement.

The Whitening Theory, or why Captain Theo Ashford had to die…

Ascalonian ministers

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

1.) We’re told that ministers can come from any walk of life, so I doubt land ownership is a requirement. I believe what they’re referring to is that ministers are elected to represent communities- Ascalonian communities, ‘land’, are fairly scarce, so the ones who are diluted within majority Krytan settlements are unlikely to get one of their own in their ministry seat.

2.) Not really, no. Ebonhawke doesn’t take part in the Krytan government. The relationship between them is described only vaguely, but it seems the only Krytan authority the holdout acknowledges is the monarch, and even then only grudgingly. Any Ascalonian minister would be Ascalonian by ethnicity, descended from an immigrant, not nationality.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Ascalonian ministers

in Lore

Posted by: Plagiarised.2865

Plagiarised.2865

As Aaron said, the quote does not mean they have to OWN the land, but be a respected person from that land. Considering, most of Ascalon is owned by the Charr now, and the other few are in Ebonhawke, the only Ascalonian ministers would be far between -most likely Old Ascalon Settlement, and Rurikton.

Ascalonian ministers

in Lore

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

Ascalonian minister => Minister of an Ascalonian area
“no land, no vote” => Most of Ascalon was lost to Charrs, no need for as much ministers as for Kryta

Ascalonian ministers

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Ascalonian minister = minister of Ascalonian descent

“no land, no vote” = Not many places that feature a lot of Ascalonian descendants (Rurikton and Ascalon Settlement, that’s pretty much it for clearly Ascalonian).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Ascalonian ministers

in Lore

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

That’s nonsense. Kryta is lacking racism because of its history and the fact that most of human kingdoms collapsed. Descent doesn’t matter. It’s said in many place that it don’t, nor than nobility.

Ascalonian ministers

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

To be clear, I’m not saying Ascalonians are discriminated against, just that they’re a minority. Even in places where it’s not a big deal to be one, any majority rules system, which includes any egalitarian voting elections, will see minorities underrepresented. It’s not an intentional neglect, it’s just a limitation of the system.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Ascalonian ministers

in Lore

Posted by: Vilenia.3081

Vilenia.3081

So far, I’ve seen valid points on different interpretations. But, as I don’t see any necessity to state that ministry members can’t represent places such as Drascir, I’ve been more tempted to believe those NPCs are not there to point something that obvious.

But hey maybe I’m wrong. I’m still hoping to get a non-debatable answer, whether it confirms my personal interpretation or not.

The Whitening Theory, or why Captain Theo Ashford had to die…