Aurene's Father

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Posted by: Black Iris Flowers.3418

Black Iris Flowers.3418

Forgive me if this has been a topic before, I didn’t see one.

Does Aurene have a father? Asexual reproduction is uncommon in advanced/complex creatures; presumably it takes two dragons to make a baby dragon. We all assume Aurene will be like her mother Glint, but if she indeed has a father he could greatly influence her powers and abilities.

Slightly off topic I really want Bubbles to be female. All the other Elder Dragons seem to identify or be referred to as male (ie from the wiki: ‘Though its gender is unknown, Jormag is referred to as male by the Sons of Svanir’).

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Dragons have such a wide variety of procreation its practically impossible to guess what one dragon does. Its entirely possible all eggs of glint were fathered by kralkatorrik, or they could be unfathered entirely. We dont know.

Theres also the matter that not all dragons even have an identifyable gender but are simply gendered based on their behavior.

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

General consensus is that Glint did in fact procreate via asexual means, though there is no confirmation on that.

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I guess no one knows the sex of Gleam, Glint’s other baby dragon? If Gleam is male then it’s almost certainly sexual reproduction as asexual reproduction normally (except in some certain circumstances) gives only female offspring. iirc the two eggs came from the same clutch.

At any rate, it’s almost certainly sexual reproduction. There are large numbers of male dragons around and asexual reproduction normally occurs when there is an absence of males, either because all males have died out, or because they only exist at certain times of the year.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Simply said: unknown.

We only saw Glint as a representative of her race and at that point she allready had her eggs.

We don´t know when or how they were conceived.
Did she do it asexual?
Did she just create them?
Is it a power of her race?
Is it a power granted by Kalkratorik?

Overall, the question about the reproduction of the dragons, hasn´t been answered so far.
All we know is: Glint is a dragon and had eggs in her cave. Only two have hatched so far.

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

We don’t know if dragons can reproduce sexually. Maybe them all just “sprout” things. Due their hyper-magic, archetypal, meta-natural character, its really hard to even classify them as an “species”. To me, they are the embodiment of certain powerful principles of the world, so they don’t really reproduce biologically like common live beings.
Think of the greek gods, were Zeus gave birth to Atenea through a wound in his forehead. Not sexual reproduction, not asexual reproduction, not genetic reproduction…“Conceptual” reproduction, and transformation, all in one.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

I guess no one knows the sex of Gleam, Glint’s other baby dragon? If Gleam is male then it’s almost certainly sexual reproduction as asexual reproduction normally (except in some certain circumstances) gives only female offspring. iirc the two eggs came from the same clutch.

At any rate, it’s almost certainly sexual reproduction. There are large numbers of male dragons around and asexual reproduction normally occurs when there is an absence of males, either because all males have died out, or because they only exist at certain times of the year.

I don’t think that if Gleam was male, it would prove sexual reproduction. For all we know dragons only have behavorial genders. we know Zhaitan didn’t sexually procreate at all, yet ‘he’ had quite a lot of sunless children.

But your theory would work if the dragons were normal creatures with XY and XX chromosomes. its after all how ants reproduce

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t think that if Gleam was male, it would prove sexual reproduction. For all we know dragons only have behavorial genders. we know Zhaitan didn’t sexually procreate at all, yet ‘he’ had quite a lot of sunless children.

But your theory would work if the dragons were normal creatures with XY and XX chromosomes. its after all how ants reproduce

Actually ants use haploid/diploid to determine sex. Females are diploid (have 2 sets of chromosomes: one from the mother and one from the father). Males are haploid (have only one set of chromosomes: one from the mother). This means that the female ants are from sexual reproduction and male ants are from asexual reproduction.

http://phys.org/news/2015-11-sex-ants.html

XY sex determination is mammals. Birds are Z and W where the male is ZZ and the female is WZ. Many reptiles that lay eggs and bury the eggs have temperature dependent regulation of sex. Higher temperatures during incubation causes the embryo to become one sex and lower temperatures causes the embryo to become the other sex.

Monotremes (platypus, echidna) have a different sex selection system unique to them
Monotremes have an unusually complex sex chromosome system which shares extensive homology to bird sex chromosomes and no homology to sex chromosomes in other mammals. This has entirely changed the way we think about the evolution of sex chromosomes in mammals as it suggests that birds and early mammals shared the sex chromosomes which evolved in the reptilian common ancestor. The sex chromosomes of marsupial and eutherian mammals have evolved much later, after the divergence of monotremes. With 10 sex chromosomes in platypus and 9 sex chromosomes in echidna, monotremes feature the most complex sex chromosomes system described in any mammal. This remarkably complex sex chromosome system raises fundamental questions about its evolution, meiotic organization and dosage compensation and about sex determination in monotremes.

ANet may give it to you.

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

Actually ants use haploid/diploid to determine sex. Females are diploid (have 2 sets of chromosomes: one from the mother and one from the father). Males are haploid (have only one set of chromosomes: one from the mother). This means that the female ants are from sexual reproduction and male ants are from asexual reproduction.

http://phys.org/news/2015-11-sex-ants.html

XY sex determination is mammals. Birds are Z and W where the male is ZZ and the female is WZ. Many reptiles that lay eggs and bury the eggs have temperature dependent regulation of sex. Higher temperatures during incubation causes the embryo to become one sex and lower temperatures causes the embryo to become the other sex.

Monotremes (platypus, echidna) have a different sex selection system unique to them
Monotremes have an unusually complex sex chromosome system which shares extensive homology to bird sex chromosomes and no homology to sex chromosomes in other mammals. This has entirely changed the way we think about the evolution of sex chromosomes in mammals as it suggests that birds and early mammals shared the sex chromosomes which evolved in the reptilian common ancestor. The sex chromosomes of marsupial and eutherian mammals have evolved much later, after the divergence of monotremes. With 10 sex chromosomes in platypus and 9 sex chromosomes in echidna, monotremes feature the most complex sex chromosomes system described in any mammal. This remarkably complex sex chromosome system raises fundamental questions about its evolution, meiotic organization and dosage compensation and about sex determination in monotremes.

Thank you for the explanation. You know your skritts

I kinda miswrote my sentence, i didnt mean that ants use XY/XX, but rather, that dragons may or may not have a far complex (or more simple) gender-chromosomes.

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Theres also the matter that not all dragons even have an identifyable gender but are simply gendered based on their behavior.

This is something that’s been bothering me lately. I’m beginning to find Anet’s sexism on this issue to be offensive. Why is that all the nice dragons seem to be identified as female and the mean ones are identified as male?

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

This is something that’s been bothering me lately. I’m beginning to find Anet’s sexism on this issue to be offensive. Why is that all the nice dragons seem to be identified as female and the mean ones are identified as male?

Coincidence.. in many stories Jormag is referred to as female as well. As I said, the official genders are unknown and we can only go by which proverb the people use, or what type of behavior the dragons use.

Glint for example was female, this one of the few we know for certain because she endorsed the ‘she’ in GW1. Tequatl is mostly called Male, but there’s been some female hints as well. In fact, only Glint and now Aurene are truly depicted as female. All others are all considered male or unknown, so its more a matter of unfair gender distribution rather than all males being evil and all females being good since the sample skew is off way too much.

Dragons like Jormag, Primordus, and Mordremoth may even be considered sexless alltogether simply because they’re made of non-fauna body-parts. They’re made of elemental prowess, or plants. Zhaitan.. well.. tbh, I don’t know if organically speaking Zhaitan was ever alive. He could’ve been something like a mind living in a stitched body as well. Kralkatorrik has fleshy parts, this much we know, but his outer form is mostly rock and crystal. and then there’s DSD.. water, horror, shadows, tangent freakshow.. for all we know it could be an unsolid body like water or vapor.

(edited by Amaimon.7823)

Aurene's Father

in Lore

DarcShriek.5829

In fact, only Glint and now Aurene are truly depicted as female. All others are all considered male or unknown, …

Exactly my point. It’s sexist and it’s offensive.

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If I remember correctly none of the people of Tyria actually know the sex of the Elder Dragons, and they should therefore be referred to as “it” in English and “he” in languages where genderless pronouns are not an option and the default is male, but still without implying they are male. (If I remember correctly that’s French and Spanish, I can’t remember how pronouns works in German.)

But just like people in real life people in Tyria will make assumptions. The Sons of Svanir assume Jormag is male because they are giant misogynists. They believe men are always more powerful than women and that Jormag is the ultimate symbol of power. So to them Jormag being female is a complete contradiction.

And they only have those sexist beliefs because Svanir was corrupted by Drakkar (one of Jormag’s champions) and his sister Jora rejected the dragon’s power. Not because of anything Jormag, or even Drakkar, did.

I can’t think of any other specific examples of an NPC referring to a dragon as “he” but I know it’s happened. But I’d put it down to that individual making an assumption (or a mistake by the writer, I caught myself referring to Jormag as ‘he’ while writing this post).

All we know for sure is Glint self-identified as female. But for all we know dragon reproduction is completely different to human reproduction and we don’t have names that really match their sexes.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Danikat.8537

For what it’s worth here’s my thoughts:

Zhaitan

Zhaitan was an undead mess of dragon parts. Seriously, look at it, bones and random bits of flesh all over the place, and extra faces coming out it’s mouth.

I only assume it was alive at some point because I don’t think you can be undead without being alive first. But it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s some kind of dragon-Frankenstein’s Monster made up of bits of multiple dragons. And now on top of that it’s not even alive. My guess is it was sexless and created the Sunless in the same way as it’s other minions.

Mordremoth

Mordremoth appeared to be mostly plant, and plant reproduction is even more complicated than animals. Take my bromeliads for example which are currently simultaneously reproducing asexually by producing ‘offsets’ (offshoots that will eventually be independent plants) and sexually by producing flowers. Or trying to reproduce sexually anyway, I don’t think anything here can pollinate them. Which is another way plants are different – many of them rely on entirely separate species to facilitate sexual reproduction. And that’s just the visual aspects, on a genetic level it’s even more complicated because they can have many more chromosomes than our two and multiple distinct life stages.

In other words even with all the recent developments in coming up with new terms for every conceivable variant of human gender I’m not sure we have a word for Mordremoth. It may well have been capable of multiple forms of reproduction. For all we know it may have already had dozens of children but they’re at a different stage in the life cycle where we don’t recognise them as future plant-dragons.

Kralkatorrik & Primordius

They look the most like traditional western dragons, and therefore the most likely to be capable of sexual reproduction (and therefore either male or female), but they both also look like rocks which are not capable of reproducing at all.

Primordius creates it’s minions out of lava and Kralkatorrik corrupts them (including Glint) so that tells us nothing about how they reproduce, or if they can.

Jormag & the Deep Sea Dragon

We don’t even know what these too look like (although I hope the DSD looks like Cthulhu) and given how different the others are I wouldn’t want to guess. Without that it’s hard to even guess how they might reproduce.

A different theory

You know the more I think about the dragon’s anatomy, life cycle etc. the more I find myself wondering if they’ve corrupted themselves and are now no more dragon than the icebrood, branded, risen etc. are human or norn or charr or asura.

We know Glint has always been a dragon but has not always been crystal. We know the dragons are believed to be the oldest things in Tyria.

What if way back in the distant past there was a whole race of dragons, mortal dragons who lived and died and developed a society just like our races do today. Maybe some of them experimented with magic, just like our races did. Except maybe they tried to enchant themselves and ended up changing themselves in the process. They became something other than just dragons, changed by the spells they applied to their bodies and dependant on absorbing more magic to keep those spells going and keep themselves alive.

And then it became more than just keeping themselves alive, they got addicted to absorbing the magic (which we know from Bloodstone Fen can happen to other beings) and kept taking more and more, killing or subjugating other dragons in the process, until there was no magic left and they had to go into hibernation to keep themselves alive.

And then they’ve been doing that ever since.

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Just a flesh wound.3589

I didn’t notice this before on my previous quote of yours, but your quote seems to be saying that they might not have sexual reproduction but might instead have “behavioral genders.” What would behavioral genders be for genderless(?) asexual(?) dragons? How would members of a group of genderless/asexual dragons behave in a masculine or feminine manner?

ANet may give it to you.

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

I didn’t notice this before on my previous quote of yours, but your quote seems to be saying that they might not have sexual reproduction but might instead have “behavioral genders.” What would behavioral genders be for genderless(?) asexual(?) dragons? How would members of a group of genderless/asexual dragons behave in a masculine or feminine manner?

For example, most dragons behave masculine, so we refer to them as he and him even though we never have a concersation with them.
Primordus and Jormag we know dont reproduce at all. They mold bodies from elemental force and energies. I know destroyers like to copy local creatures.

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Just a flesh wound.3589

For example, most dragons behave masculine, so we refer to them as he and him even though we never have a concersation with them.
Primordus and Jormag we know dont reproduce at all. They mold bodies from elemental force and energies. I know destroyers like to copy local creatures.

Ok. I got to ask.

How does a dragon behave masculine if they don’t have sexual reproduction per your above quote, " don’t think that if Gleam was male, it would prove sexual reproduction. For all we know dragons only have behavorial genders."

In the absence of sex, what is masculine or a behavioral gender?

ANet may give it to you.

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

Ok. I got to ask.

How does a dragon behave masculine if they don’t have sexual reproduction per your above quote, " don’t think that if Gleam was male, it would prove sexual reproduction. For all we know dragons only have behavorial genders."

hard to explain, its just kinda when you see an androgynous person, but they act all bulky, tough and alpha, you assume they’re male. you could be wrong, but its the hunch of gender/behavior coupling

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Just a flesh wound.3589

Ok. I got to ask.

hard to explain, its just kinda when you see an androgynous person, but they act all bulky, tough and alpha, you assume they’re male. you could be wrong, but its the hunch of gender/behavior coupling

Ah. Ok. If someone is fit, tough and alpha, don’t assume they’re female.

Of course that wouldn’t work for species where the female is dominant over males, such as hyenas and raptors.

Behavioral gender doesn’t work unless you’re assuming gender and behavior is linked.
It’s a meaningless designation if a species doesn’t have gender. You’re then arbitrarily saying that the more aggressive ones are behaving like one gender and the less aggressive ones are the behaving like the other gender (and also arbitrarily deciding which gender is the dominant gender) when it’s actually all one group of neuters with varying temperaments.

ANet may give it to you.

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Posted by: Djahlat.9610

Djahlat.9610

Ok. I got to ask.

Ah. Ok. If someone is fit, tough and alpha, don’t assume they’re female.

Of course that wouldn’t work for species where the female is dominant over males, such as hyenas and raptors.

Behavioral gender doesn’t work unless you’re assuming gender and behavior is linked.
It’s sort of a nonsense thing to say if a species doesn’t have gender. You’re then saying that the more aggressive ones are one gender and the less aggressive ones are the other gender when it’s all one group of neuters with varying temperaments.

I know what he meant, and he gave an example that easily is countered by sexual dysmorphia.
From what I understood, Dragons are assigned a gender because of their behaviour being closer to the stereotypical male side of the gender spectrum (confrontational, assertive, careless, etc.) whereas Glint was presented as a “she” because of her motherly, caregiving nature (also her telepathic Voice-over uses a woman’s voice, and she lays eggs).
We know the Elder Dragons don’t abide by the standard human gender and sexual identity norms, but the way they are presented simply assumes their gender because it makes them more personable, which is what i believe ANet was trying to achieve (make them go from invincible forces of nature to powerful creatures with weaknesses that can be fought)

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Just a flesh wound.3589

From what I understood, Dragons are assigned a gender because of their behaviour being closer to the stereotypical male side of the gender spectrum (confrontational, assertive,

Again, not all species. Hyena females are the ones that are confrontational and assertive.

But obviously the dragons are modeled on human expectations of behavior and gender. So, that’s true as far as it goes.

ANet may give it to you.

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

From what I understood, Dragons are assigned a gender because of their behaviour being closer to the stereotypical male side of the gender spectrum (confrontational, assertive,

Again, not all species. Hyena females are the ones that are confrontational and assertive.

But obviously the dragons are modeled on human expectations of behavior and gender. So, that’s true as far as it goes.

Stereotypical, which means you don’t acount for outliers in the statistics. There are always exceptions to every rule you can think of.

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Posted by: Sock.2785

Sock.2785

Black Iris Flowers.3418

Does Aurene have a father? […] We all assume Aurene will be like her mother Glint, but if she indeed has a father he could greatly influence her powers and abilities.

Supposedly, the fact that Glint was corrupted by Kralkatorrik is a concept subsequent to the original Guild Wars; when observing Glint’s eggs in her lair it’s hard to make it fit into this scenario: were those eggs laid before she got corrupted or were those eggs laid once she got corrupted? Did Glint had her own lair, a hiding place situated inside a single grain of sand, priorly to being corrupted by Kralkatorrik?

We see that Aurene displays crystalline formations growing from her body: are those an inheritance from her mother’s corruption or are those a sign of something else?

I personally think dragons have genders, but when one gets corrupted and transformed physically by magic (Elder Dragons or anyone else) gender kind of loses its meaning, since they can’t sexually reproduce anymore.

Interesting note: early concepts envisioned Mordremoth as a female.

My research has found a thread between magic and the mind. The two are linked.
— Snaff

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

Black Iris Flowers.3418

Does Aurene have a father? […] We all assume Aurene will be like her mother Glint, but if she indeed has a father he could greatly influence her powers and abilities.

Supposedly, the fact that Glint was corrupted by Kralkatorrik is a concept subsequent to the original Guild Wars; when observing Glint’s eggs in her lair it’s hard to make it fit into this scenario: were those eggs laid before she got corrupted or were those eggs laid once she got corrupted? Did Glint had her own lair, a hiding place situated inside a single grain of sand, priorly to being corrupted by Kralkatorrik?

We see that Aurene displays crystalline formations growing from her body: are those an inheritance from her mother’s corruption or are those a sign of something else?

I personally think dragons have genders, but when one gets corrupted and transformed physically by magic (Elder Dragons or anyone else) gender kind of loses its meaning, since they can’t sexually reproduce anymore.

Interesting note: early concepts envisioned Mordremoth as a female.

I think the eggs were laid after corruption, but also after cleansing of said corruption.
Glint was born a normal dragon, and subdued (branded) by kralkatorrik. I’m not 100% sure, but I don’t think crystal was her theme before the corruption. And since all the eggs were crystalline in theme, I’m making a bold statement and say:
Glint is non-crystalline
Glint becomes branded, and thus crystalline
Glint is purified
Glint goes of and starts communities with other races and lays her eggs (and writes the flameseeker prophecies)

But wow, that description in the link sounds so much more epic than what we got.. (the fight we got is epic as well, but it was kinda.. farfetched)

(edited by Amaimon.7823)

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Danikat.8537

Basically it’s a form of anthropomorphism. An amazingly common one too.

For example even experts used to claim that male lions did the hunting, entirely because it fit their expectations; the male went out and provided for his family and the females stayed in/near the den looking after the cubs, just like humans. (In some cases this is even tied up in a lot of cringe-worthy lecturing about the ‘natural order’ of the world.) And that wasn’t even true of all humans at the time.

Likewise because Elder Dragons are big and aggressive and dominant they must be male. Because Glint was more passive and empathetic and had a clutch of eggs she must be female.

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Posted by: Harak.8397

Harak.8397

By the same token Aurene is a good dragon and thus “obviously had to be” female. I wish they broke that trend one day.

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

By the same token Aurene is a good dragon and thus “obviously had to be” female. I wish they broke that trend one day.

LS3:
We must train Aurene to be morally upstanding and on the right path. Right now, without the guidance of either Glint or Kralkatorrik, she's a clean slate and can become anything. Or rather, its now OUR duty to make sure she becomes something.

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Posted by: Fenom.9457

Fenom.9457

it isn’t necessarily a trend, just that each good dragon has happened to be female, while the bad ones appear male or unidentified

Want to read about a nice mini expansion to make Mordremoth and Zhaitan better?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mini-Expansion-Vengeance/first#post6473305

Aurene's Father

in Lore

DarcShriek.5829

My character in GW1 had a lizard fetish. Now he’s on the hook for 1000 years of child support.

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Just a flesh wound.3589

My character in GW1 had a lizard fetish. Now he’s on the hook for 1000 years of child support.

You’re saying your Guild Wars 1 char was the father of Glint’s clutch of eggs that Gleam and Aurene hatched out of?

I do so hope that there’s not a video of that incident that pops up one day. I’d rather not even imagine it, much less actually see it.

ANet may give it to you.

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Posted by: Eleazar.9478

Eleazar.9478

While this dosnt explain Gleam, I always thought Aurene’s pops was mordy (since she kinda looks like him) whoever it was the rush of magic that “fertizlied” the egg.
As if Glint new mordy would killed around there thus having AB suck all that love juice up.

[Snky] FC don’t worry I’m just a scrub until I’m OP

Aurene's Father

in Lore

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

Forgive me if this has been a topic before, I didn’t see one.

Does Aurene have a father? Asexual reproduction is uncommon in advanced/complex creatures; presumably it takes two dragons to make a baby dragon. We all assume Aurene will be like her mother Glint, but if she indeed has a father he could greatly influence her powers and abilities.

Slightly off topic I really want Bubbles to be female. All the other Elder Dragons seem to identify or be referred to as male (ie from the wiki: ‘Though its gender is unknown, Jormag is referred to as male by the Sons of Svanir’).

This sounds like a job for Maury Polvich!

All joking aside it could have been one of the Jade dragons from Cantha.