Basic Charr Lore

Basic Charr Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Caedo.1469

Caedo.1469

Hi there,
I was hoping to get into roleplaying at some point, however I know very little about lore and such. I know vague basics, but when put on the spot specifics flee from my mind (the same goes for real life; after taking history for 4 years in school all important information is forgotten when someone asks me :( )

I was just hoping for someone to maybe outline some basics for me, which may come up in everyday conversation – since I don’t know much, I’m steering clear of “special snowflake” backgrounds and such. Anything, really, that you could think of.
I have charr from all legions, and I have both male and female.

Any help greatly appreciated :D

Basic Charr Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Edusd.7893

Edusd.7893

-mredus.deviantart.com-

Basic Charr Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Basic Charr Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?473742-The-Central-Archives
Was very interesting to read, thanks.
Also i like this quote from 2006:

Hate to burst your bubble, but A-Net has been insistent in their “Humans Only” policy. No other races. Ever.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

Basic Charr Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

And all threads from http://guildwars.incgamers.com is dead. Sadface.
Edit: nvm, dead only links from index thread, if you browsing forum manually, you can find all threads.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

(edited by Rednik.3809)

Basic Charr Lore

in Lore

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?473742-The-Central-Archives
Was very interesting to read, thanks.
Also i like this quote from 2006:

Hate to burst your bubble, but A-Net has been insistent in their “Humans Only” policy. No other races. Ever.

Well, that was referring to GW1, and as far as I know (I haven’t played GW1 for a week or so) you can still only play as Human.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Basic Charr Lore

in Lore

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

I love the charr. They’re so much fun.

Seriously, if you play belcher’s bluff, one of the quotes from charr is, “Ridiculous. Charr would never do anything silly.” Charr know they’re hilarious.

Basic Charr Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Caedo.1469

Caedo.1469

Wow, thank you all for your help! I’ve flicked through the wiki a few times, though that was usually when I was looking for something in particular – it’s definitely bigger than I remember it.
I have a few questions maybe some of you will be able to answer? I can’t seem to find answers online.
1. How would a charr call another charr of equal rank? Say there’s two charr talking from the same warband, both soldiers. I’d imagine they’d refer to each other by first names. What about two less familiar charr, would they still call each other by first names, or would it be more respectful to call each other by surname? I know higher ranks are usually called by their ranks, surname, or both.
2. When a charr joins another warband would they keep their own name (as can be seen in the story)? In the wiki it states that they must change their name and strive to fit in as best they can which I’d understand, but I couldn’t imagine an older charr who, for example’s warband has been killed, wanting to change their name after all this time – whilst still not wanting to be a gladium.
3. Are warbands always named after the legionaire? Say Random Blackink left his warband and took over/made another. Would this warband become some form of his name, or would he have to change his name to match the warband? Or neither?

Sigh..the more I think, the more questions I have! I’m sorry if the answers are somewhere already, I never seem to be able to word things right in Google to get answers when they’re there.

Thanks again everyone for your help, it’s much appreciated!

Basic Charr Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Mularc Templare.5063

Mularc Templare.5063

I’ll have a crack at answering things Caedo, and I’m sure if I get anything wrong someone will correct me.

1. Charr who are familiar to each other appear to use first names mainly when talking to the person, and within the warband. If talking about someone within the warband to someone outside of it, they tend to use the term “bandmate” rather then friend. The meaning appears to be the same though.

Unfamiliar charr seem to call each other by their job/rank rather then any name; Soldier, Tribune, Legionnaire ect. If talking about a specific Charr, even of the same rank, they seem to use title and surname.

2. Generally, if the Charr is joining a new warband they appear to take a new surname based on the ‘band; for example, Rox at this point of the Living Story does not have a surname, but if she is successful in joining Rytlock’s warband she would be Rox <Something>stone (e.g Whetstone).

As for older Charr, once they reach a certain age (where we would consider elderly) for example if they outlive their warband though natural causes they seem to keep their name in tribute. Beyond this, they would join a new warband if possible and gain a new surname, or may be reduced to having none at all.

3. Long story short, a warbands name seems to be a group descision; the name is chosen when Charr leave the Farrar as a group, and each individual adds their “part” of the name; for example, the Scorch warband is involved in the meta-event to kill the Flame Legion Shaman in the Iron Marches, with each member adding another word after their warband name; Scorchpowder, Scorchblade, Scorchstep.

(If you do have another character and can do this event, the NPC’s afterwards explain how they found one of the Charr wandering and she became a part of the warband. Might just help clarify this wall of text.)

Charr society looks down on those who leave the warband; so it’s very unlikely for a Charr to form a new warband by leaving one voluntarily, as this would normally make the specific Charr who left a deserter and Gladium. The exception is usually if the warband has died or is presumed dead; then the surviving members need to either make a new warband or join an existing one.

In your example it could go both ways. The only case (that I’m aware of) we see in game of a new warband being formed from scratch so to speak (by way of a group of gladiums) is the player character’s warband, which is never named due to technical limitations. If Random Blackink joined a warband, he’d have to change his name to fit (for example, Random Scorchink) but if he formed one it’s likely the warband would choose a new name once it is fully formed, which could have nothing to do with his previous name.

Hope that helps, and appologies again for the massive wall of text. Thanks for taking the time to explore the Lore