Best Swordsman in Tyrian History

in Lore

Posted by: Drakenvold.9761

Drakenvold.9761

In one-on-one fight,based on feats or skill of the swordsman,in the lore who do you thinks is the most skillfull swordsman?

in Lore

Posted by: AzureShiron.7658

AzureShiron.7658

The best swordsman in all history of tyria to my knowledge was Shiro Tagachi of cantha some 300 years ago, he killed the dragon emperor back then and became evil.

If you think this post is about you, it probably is

in Lore

Posted by: Bander.5194

Bander.5194

Except that’s Canthan history, not Tyrian. Unless Tyrians claim that as their own, which I’m not sure any do.

in Lore

Drakenvold.9761

Tyria the world i think,thats what he meant,is Shiro undisputed in this claim?

in Lore

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

There is some debate about whether Shiro uses swords or daggers, which I don’t think was ever resolved. But if we assume both qualify as swordsmanship then I think he would definately win.

Even outside of lore it takes a minimum of 2 people to bring him down (although you can solo him you need a monk henchman or hero) and generally the lore doesn’t allow for some of the more usual builds GW1 allowed (except in an indirect and somewhat tongue in cheek style, like the references to too many deaths in the Underworld) so I suspect Shiro was intended to be seen as considerably stronger than he is in practice.

If we limit it to the continent of Tyria then I’m not sure. Lornar managed to single-handedly hold off an invasion of hill giants, but we don’t know what weapon he used to do it. Adelbern was supposed to be a very impressive warrior in his day, but I think that was more to do with his tactical skill than his swordsmanship.

I think I’d actually nominate Jora (who uses a sword before she joins you party, after that it’s your choice). Of course in modern day (GW2) Tyria she’s better known for her ability to resist Jormag and the sacrifice she made in killing her brother, but she was a key player in some pretty impressive battles too (definately lore-wise, and she’s used quite a lot as a hero too), taking down the Great Destroyer for one.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

in Lore

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

This guy for those who havn’t seen it

Considering he’s dead it’s pretty hard for anyone to actually challenge his claim. Trouble with these proverbial pissing contests of “skill” :p

Even outside of lore it takes a minimum of 2 people to bring him down

Even in lore it did. And the Luxons and Kurzicks were fighting over it hundreds of years later

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

(edited by Ryuujin.8236)

in Lore

Posted by: Mystic Starfish.2586

Mystic Starfish.2586

Technically 3, since Vizu had to disarm him or w/e
I was gonna say Talon was a great swordsman, but he’s Canthan also :/
I feel like most characters are more of great leaders than great fighters, and as the player character we have the distinction of being the best fighters in the land

in Lore

Posted by: Icarus Pherae.4680

Icarus Pherae.4680

Lukas is definitely the best swordsman ever.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Regarding Shiro using swords or daggers – lorewise, I think they were swords. Mechanically it was treated as daggers when PC assassins decided to pick up both of them, but that’s because GW1 mechanics didn’t have the concept of dual-wielding and daggers were the closest match to two swords (mechanically, I think daggers were treated by the game mechanics as a single two-handed weapon with low damage and a high attack rate).

Out of all the characters we’ve seen in-game, I think Shiro would beat them all in a swordfight – mechanically speaking he’s in the group of the most powerful single beings in GW1, and I don’t think anything else at his level uses a sword. However, if I had to pick the best swordsman to walk Tyria, it’d probably be Balthazar. :P

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

There is some debate about whether Shiro uses swords or daggers,

Mechanically, he uses daggers.

Lore wise, which is what we care about, he dual-wielded swords.

Even outside of lore it takes a minimum of 2 people to bring him down (although you can solo him you need a monk henchman or hero)

My assassin disagrees with you and says it takes a minimum of 1 person. But keep in mind that our PCs are special.

Also that’s mechanics not lore.

Anyways, as to the OP, I don’t think there really is any definitive answer. Same goes with reality. Because we cannot – accurately – compare the abilities of Shiro to Koss, Jora, or Lord Victo (all renowned warriors), let alone to the most famous swordmaster of Kryta, Bongo the One-Eyed! (he trained Lord Faren and Minister Duran)

It would be rather neat if we could have a GW version of Deadliest Warrior, but that’s unlikely to happen.

Even in lore it did. And the Luxons and Kurzicks were fighting over it hundreds of years later

If you want to get technical, there were dozens of warriors who fought Shiro alongside Viktor, Vizu, and Archemorus. Those three simply survived (until the Jade Wind) where the others didn’t.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Drakenvold.9761

i agree that comparing skill levels might be hard,but even tho there must be a general direction,when someones talks about it,lets broaden the scope then,from swordsman to warriors in general,now days and from ancint times then..not counting the plaeable character ^^

in Lore

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

I have to go with balthazar, god of fire and butt kicking.

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

in Lore

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

Dhuum had his moments.

As for humans, Stefan, undeniably. I’ve considered Alesia, briefly, but Stefan’s the better swordfighter.

in Lore

Posted by: Auruan.2837

Auruan.2837

I suppose if the mechanics of Guild Wars had allowed for it better, Rurik would’ve been quite good a swordsman. Sadly, he was reduced to a very simplistic man due to the way the NPCs were programmed at the time. Him luring forty or so Charr when we could’ve slipped past most of them: unforgettable. Such battles. The chaos.

In lore, I’d say he must’ve been rather decent a swordsman. Think of him growing up in war, much time he spent in those lands, and then his journey after the Searing. The fact he was brought back from the dead briefly, solely to be a nuisance once more also hints that he was likely to be stronger than the game made him out to be.

Considering Adelbern’s fine new position too, he was probably not uncanny with a blade either. Like father, like son. Pains in the behinds in-game, but in the proper lore, who knows…

in Lore

Posted by: Klawlyt.6507

Klawlyt.6507

While I do believe Shiro was using “daggers” (and my Sin had a pair!), I believe you could also use one as a sword. What’s funny is, I don’t think the sword version was as big as Shiro’s own daggers on his model.

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real.
No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

in Lore

Drakenvold.9761

it could aswell be an axe,im looking for the best warriors ever to walk tyria ^^,its not restricted to swordplay

in Lore

Posted by: Klawlyt.6507

Klawlyt.6507

That’s fair. I just didn’t find the thread till after the sword phase had passed.

If we’re talking “best person who wields martial weapons in combat,” it’s still got to go to Shiro, even before he died. The problem is, in Tyria, an elementalist is just as much a warrior as a, well… warrior. So, do we factor in the Lich? What about Mursaat who destroy you with a sideways glance?

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real.
No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

in Lore

Drakenvold.9761

sideways glance dont count much as a martil skill ^^
i mean we can open the discussion to everyone but have to ground it on martill skill,regardless of the weapon,so magic users per se are out,thief,assassins,warriors,henchman and heroes,central lore characters and are in

(edited by Drakenvold.9761)

in Lore

Posted by: Curuniel.4830

Curuniel.4830

It would be rather neat if we could have a GW version of Deadliest Warrior, but that’s unlikely to happen.

Perhaps we could hold something like the Fantasy Cage Match with narrative pieces speculating on who would win in a fight? Sadly the ‘outcome by popular vote’ that match uses is often a little flawed in terms of realism (i.e. Wheel of Time inevitably wins).

in Lore

Posted by: Ferum Flamebender.5910

Ferum Flamebender.5910

Talon silverwing, Prince Rurick, King adelbern..

All of them could be the best swords men in tyrian history for so far we know..

Aetra Ironbender, Rated E for Engineer- [WoT] Warlocks of Tyria- Far Shiverpeaks

in Lore

Posted by: AzureShiron.7658

AzureShiron.7658

I stand by what i said, Shiro Tagachi was the single most powerful warrior in all tyrian (the world) history. As he single handedly took on the kurzick,luxon and royal army. Vizu got in her lucky blows and the two saints got in the finishing blows while he was distracted.

If you think this post is about you, it probably is

in Lore

Posted by: Hypergrip.9673

Hypergrip.9673

Best swordsman in tyrian history? That would be Little Thom, hands down. He owned everything with his hamstorm build.

Brains over Brawn [Geek]
Eine familiäre, erwachsene, PvX-orientierte Feierabend-Gilde auf Flussufer/Riverside

in Lore

Posted by: Aneirin Cadwall.9126

Aneirin Cadwall.9126

…there are only a few noted sword-wielding characters in the history of Tyria (the world). Of them, these are the most memorable:

1) Talon Silverwing — an Angchu tengu from The Aerie. During The Tengu Wars, he was defeated by General Zhan and has since sworn to protect and serve him. He is the initial trainer for Canthan warriors (either as a primary or secondary profession) at the Shing Jea Monastery.

2) Galrath is a warrior seeking to learn arcane magic at the Wizard’s Tower in Kryta; stopping him is the objective of the Villainy of Galrath.

3) Jaizhanju — Jaizhanju was an exceptionally tall and very strong young Warrior who lived over three hundred years ago. Orphaned at birth and self-trained, Jaizhanju traveled Cantha and single-handedly defeated bands of monsters that threatened villages all over the countryside. When the emperor invited her to visit him in the Forbidden City so he could reward her, she arrived days late, having stopped to defend an orphanage from a skale invasion. Standing before the emperor’s throne, she refused his proffered reward, and instead offered her sword and her life in exchange for the insult of tardiness. The bemused emperor refused her offer, and Jaizhanju continued to defend the weak until her death five years later, by which time legends numbered her kills in the tens of thousands. The emperor himself petitioned the Oracle to give her a place in the Tahnnakai Temple, and so it was.

4) Turai Ossa — my personal nomination for greatest swordsman for numerous oh-so-obvious-and-obviously-correct reasons. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Turai_Ossa

Almost all of these characters are likely still relevant in Guild Wars 2, as well. Regarding Shiro Tagachi — he was talented with one-handed blades of all sorts, but isn’t memorable as a “swordsman” in my mind… and I dread very really possibility of another encounter with him in the mists…

Men who achieve some power desire more until they destroy themselves trying to get it.—Turai Ossa
Sanctum of Rall since beta 3. Mesmer since 1070 AE

in Lore

Drakenvold.9761

and in the broader aspect of the warrior,not only swprdsman but best overall warrior to have walked the land?

in Lore

Drakenvold.9761

Aneirin Cadwall awesome post there.love those little bits of lore,les see more of it ^^

in Lore

Posted by: WordSarien.8249

WordSarien.8249

Except that’s Canthan history, not Tyrian. Unless Tyrians claim that as their own, which I’m not sure any do.

Tyria is both the name of the continent that GW2 (as well as the first GW1 campaign, Prophecies) takes place on, AND it’s the name of the whole world.

As I’m not well-versed in the lore outside of the actual games, I won’t try to partake in the debate; just wanted to answer that question.

in Lore

Posted by: enlil.3849

enlil.3849

Little Thom, no doubts about it.

Any old-timers remember the incredible blend of swordplay and spell-slinging that was…
HAMSTORM?

He won the Norn fighting tournament in my book, screw the fact that he was an axe warrior as a henchman.

And you know what, I’ll one up that by electing a Wammo of any sort.

in Lore

Posted by: thrice.9184

thrice.9184

Little Thom, no doubts about it.

Any old-timers remember the incredible blend of swordplay and spell-slinging that was…
HAMSTORM?

He won the Norn fighting tournament in my book, screw the fact that he was an axe warrior as a henchman.

And you know what, I’ll one up that by electing a Wammo of any sort.

Little thom and his beer belly hell yeah

Ranger put into Retirement due to Anet Abuse.
9/3/13 rip

in Lore

Posted by: Jelle.4623

Jelle.4623

I am, obviously.

in Lore

Posted by: Avatar Rage.4369

Well I vote for my Warrior in GW1 seeing as he beat Shiro, count em twice!

in Lore

Posted by: Martin The Brave.8731

Martin The Brave.8731

Considering that Koss and his companions took down a God, Id put my vote in for Koss.

in Lore

Posted by: Gregorius.1024

Gregorius.1024

Considering that Koss and his companions took down a God, Id put my vote in for Koss.

This.

I don’t think any characters before or since can top the power of the Nightfall characters (including mine).

in Lore

Posted by: Okamaru.8904

Okamaru.8904

sideways glance dont count much as a martil skill ^^
i mean we can open the discussion to everyone but have to ground it on martill skill,regardless of the weapon,so magic users per se are out,thief,assassins,warriors,henchman and heroes,central lore characters and are in

I would have to say the top for me would be:

1) Vizu: since you did open it up to assassins as well, i might as well throw Vizu in there as she was the one who crippled or disarmed Shiro. Even if it was luck or a cheap shot, a skilled warrior like Shiro who fought off hundreds of Luxons, Kurzick, and Royal Gurads for her to find an opening and exploit it would that not make her one of the best? is that not what you do in a fight?

2) Archemorus and Viktor (they’re tied): To live through Shiro’s killing spree, you would have to be a strong and tough fighters. granted they both gave the killing blow to a crippled Shiro, but sometimes it’s about evading and blocking.

3) Turai Ossa: Although larger then life he was great general and leader, as well as a remarkable fighter, defeating Palawa Joko in one-on-one battle.

4) Shiro Tagachi: He defeated many Luxons, Kurzick, and Royal Guard signal-handedly. only to fall to signal assassin. He was noticed and picked to be the Emperor’s body guard. only reason he’s not higher on the list is do to lack of tactical ability, he’s seems to relay on instinct over tactics, which can be used to determine a great fighter as well.

5)Balthazar: He’s the god of war, has mastered everyone weapon that has been forged. and is looked to for guidance by almost anyone who wishes to become better in any give weapon. but he’s a god so who can really say that’s fair and could count as magic, as well as his anger seems to get the better of him and although the god of war can still lose in a game of tactics and strategy, Nui.

6) almost any character in lore who has a skill named after them: you must be a a talented and great warrior to get this activement.

(edited by Okamaru.8904)

in Lore

Posted by: Neilos Tyrhanos.5427

Neilos Tyrhanos.5427

The Great Zehtuka, surely!?

in Lore

Posted by: Turial.1293

Turial.1293

Well it doesn’t ask which profession so I’m going with alesia.

“Some of my best friends are heterosexual”

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Yeah, any character who is talented enough to claim all of my character’s achievements deserves to be on this page :P

in Lore

Posted by: WarriorOfAsgard.3705

WarriorOfAsgard.3705

Lord Victo, Champion of Orr

in Lore

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

Fist of the Titans hands down. Their level 42 rating doesn’t lie.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Fist_of_the_Titans

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

in Lore

Posted by: Dessan.9420

Dessan.9420

The Great Zehtuka, surely!?

This. I mean, this thread should be closed know, since the question is answered, and nobody could ever doubt it.

in Lore

Posted by: Ice of Dragons.1637

Ice of Dragons.1637

Devona i know she wilds her fathers hammer but in the intro she is wilding a sword. Shiro kinda does not count since he’s evil imo.

in Lore

Posted by: NolanP.7604

NolanP.7604

Tyria is the world but is named after the continent of tyria so most just call it tyria

in Lore

Posted by: BobbyStein

BobbyStein

Guild Wars 2 Narrative Lead

…the most famous swordmaster of Kryta, Bongo the One-Eyed! (he trained Lord Faren and Minister Duran)

Never mess with Bongo!

in Lore

Posted by: Strorm.4987

Strorm.4987

Well, I can’t decide on a single best swordsman, but I’ve got the following in mind as some of the best from experience and lore accomplishments:
King Adelbern.
Prince Rurik.
Shiro Tagachi (Note, I haven’t played Factions, so this is only from the trailer and what little I’ve read).
And Turai Ossa, the guy who beat the kitten out of a powerful undead lord with just a sword and a shield.

in Lore

Posted by: azazil.9541

azazil.9541

…the most famous swordmaster of Kryta, Bongo the One-Eyed! (he trained Lord Faren and Minister Duran)

Never mess with Bongo!

He is One-Eyed evil evil spirit after all and terrorizing us from Legend of Zelda to GuildWars

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Bongo_Bongo

Attachments:

in Lore

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Kilroy Stonekin. I’m sure he used a sword at one point…he was the best of all us..may he R.I.P. (hopefully causing chaos in the afterlife!)

in Lore

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Gonna have to go with Turai Ossa on this one. I mean, he’s the original Ghostly Hero. When you go to the HoH, you fight for the privilege of escorting him to his place in paradise.

Turai Ossa is, in fact, so awesome that an entire section of the afterlife is devoted specifically to proving oneself worthy of walking with the guy.

Rurik is a close second though.
Invented hundred blades
And not the post patch sword=AoE version, or the GW2 flashy-but-kinda-meh attack version, but the version that filled more adrenaline builds with pure ultimate power than any single sword skill in the game.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Lore

Posted by: Three Pounds.2359

Three Pounds.2359

Turai Ossa is, in fact, so awesome that an entire section of the afterlife is devoted specifically to proving oneself worthy of walking with the guy.

This.

Does anyone still remember playing him in the Bonus Mission Pack? The guy is so giant and awesome and just slaughters entire armies of undead single handed. He is in fact so giant that he even has “giant stomp” equipped.

in Lore

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Turai Ossa was the best in the world of Tyria, I’d think.

Best one on the continent of Tyria? Prince Rurik, perhaps, as he was very skilled and just too hot-headed to survive.

Or, secondly, Jora. She killed a dragon champion before Destiny’s Edge was ever considered.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Technically the PC’s defeated a dragon champion long before her (though I understand that PC’s can’t be in this contest based entirely on the idea that there are too many PC’s).

in Lore

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

This.

Does anyone still remember playing him in the Bonus Mission Pack? The guy is so giant and awesome and just slaughters entire armies of undead single handed. He is in fact so giant that he even has “giant stomp” equipped.

That was an awesome mission with an awesome bar of skills for sure. I think I’ll go play it again right now XD

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ