Best civilization/race?

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Posted by: Bellyboomer.3048

Bellyboomer.3048

What do you guys think is the best civilization/race, based on culture and economy rather than skills and questlines?
I think the Asura are the current winners, but will be triumphed by the sylvari at some point.

The Asura’s civilization is peacefull and based on understanding their surroundings and improving their lives. Their technology exceeds all other races and every decent race uses their technology at some point. Their religion can explain everything without using the existance of gods. They are present in the world economy trough the Asura gates. Best of all, they intend to grow their civilization alongside nature, without harming it (like we should do on earth.) The only setback is the corruption in their government by the inquest, but this does benefit their general knowledge.

Sylvari are potent to become the master race in Tyria. They’ve only been around for 25, yet they have a capitol and are present all over the world. The dream is a better alternative to our genes, instead of giving characteristics to future generations, the dream provides the entire knowledge the race has gathered and also gives them direction and purpose in life. Imagine what greatness they would achieve in another 25 years. The only problem is that we don’t know yet how the nightmare court and the 6th dragon are linked.

The Charr have a great industrial economy, but their entire civilization is based on war. Our history has shown us cultures like that tend to collapse rather fast…
Humans fail on all fronts, they’ve lost every recent battle they had and even their own religion has abandoned them.
Norns are awesome, but they are just a bunch of drunk vikings.

We know to little about the Tengu and the Largo’s, although they might become the new playable races in the future.

Skritt are dumb, Grawl are still cavemen, Jotun have become cavemen once more, Hyleck are primitive, Quagan are only refugees… Anything else?
(Dragons and Godlike-creatures don’t count.)

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

That may be so, but I’d like to see any of the wimpier races beat them in a fight.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Posted by: kitanas.3596

kitanas.3596

That may be so, but I’d like to see any of the wimpier races beat them in a fight.

that’s what golems are for, boohka. it doesn’t matter ow good a fighter you are if we can just bury you under wave after wave of explosive golems.

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Posted by: Bellyboomer.3048

Bellyboomer.3048

The Norn may have muscle but lack tactics, technology, strenght in numbers…

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Posted by: Erector.1458

Erector.1458

All races of Tyria are amazing. Now, if only the could just set aside their differences and work together. But, all I know is that the Sylvari are pretty much the most peaceful race. They don’t argue with others, they try to make friends (unless they are attacked). Also, they aren’t stubborn like the Charr, they aren’t braggers like Asura, they aren’t so prideful that they loose a battle like humans, and they don’t have bad tempers like the Norn. No offense races of Tyria, but you need to learn to get along with each other and not start tearing each other apart with claws, bare hands, or technology. I hope that you try it the Sylvari way, because its more safe to have friends than enemies.

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

Skritt are not dumb, not when you gather enough of them in one place. Consider what a skritt population the size of a modern major city would be able to achieve!

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Erector.1458

I didn’t say the Skritt were dumb. I was making a point. The Skritt are OK, I’m actually fascinated on how Skritt are able to be smart altogether.

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Tuomir.1830

Skritt are dumb

You didn’t?

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Oglaf.1074

The Norn may have muscle but lack tactics, technology, strenght in numbers…

Tactics? Contrary to popular belief, Norns are not stupid.

Technology? This is a sword: this end is for holding, the other for stabbing.

Strength in numbers? Lore-wise, a single Norn might very well best an entire Charr warband in combat.

Do you even lift, bro?

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Posted by: Khyron.8735

Khyron.8735

The Asura’s civilization is peaceful

No it isn’t. The Asura are some of the most violent people. Look back to their story quest. When Inquest steals your things, the first response isn’t “We should fight this legally and get the proper authorities involved once we prove inquest tampering!” It’s “Let’s go murder everyone involved and everyone they ever cared for!” And it’s not just Inquest, lore wise, Asura are constantly backstabbing, stealing from and sabotaging rival krewes to get ahead. They aren’t a peaceful race, they’re a race in a constant gang war with each other.

Ad majorem gloriam! Ad infinitum!

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

The asura are not at all peaceful, although they aren’t warlike either. They don’t strive to “improve their lives”, they strive to improve their ego: everything they do is so that everyone else would bow down and acknowledge their superiority. And there is no indication that their technology and research are environmentally friendly, in fact the most environmentally devastating technologies are asuran.

(edited by Embolism.8106)

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Oglaf.1074

Aye, I agree! The Asura are sooo peaceful that they once tried to genocide the Skritt.

Genocide

Do you even lift, bro?

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

A few points beyond asuran peacefulness:

- The existance of the gods are big factors in the Eternal Alchemy

-They constantly alter their ecosystem by continually allowing experimental creatures to get loose.

-The Dream of sylvari is not superior to genetics. it is the equivelant of going to school. A-net has stated that each sylvari doesn’t learn everything in the dream. and what they do learn is likened to reading about it in a book. e.g.: They know what a sword is, they are familiar with it but they have never swung it before they ‘bloomed’. so everything they know from the Dream is incomplete, imperfect and likened to a distant study as opposed to actual experience.

-Charr culture is based on war and in RL, may be a hinderance trying to get along in todays standards but it’s been working for the charr for thousands of years. And even out own working ‘peaceful’ societies are a relatively new ideal. e.g.; Germany expanding it’s territory during WW1 was still seen as a positive sign of strength for a nation by it’s people as it had been for thousands of years prior.

edit: Some negative characteristics were left out. Asura aren’t unified and organized into one cohesive unit. they are like technological barbarians when compared to the unity of the other races barring the norn. unity is a big factor for a race that plans to take over the world. look at the Mongolians.

They weren’t a peole that were prone to unity but when Ghengis Khan (Who lived much of his life as an outcast without mongolian customs) united them they had the biggest contiguous empire in history. they were never stopped in their advance westward and continually adopted technology and tactics of the cultures they took over in order to stay on top. But when Ghengis khan died, it was the beginning of the end. the empire was divided and internal strife over succession brought it down largely due to the fact that they still held onto their free individual spirit. so it may work for the Norn becasue they are a race of legendary giants with herculian strength but even they are said to be able to be beaten by a unified charr nation.

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Embolism.8106

Aye, I agree! The Asura are sooo peaceful that they once tried to genocide the Skritt.

Genocide

That part was redacted by the writers. They agreed it was too extreme.

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Oglaf.1074

Genocide

Heh, yeah no kidding…

Do you even lift, bro?

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

The Asura’s civilization is peaceful

PFFFWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The asura are narcissistic, egotistical, and paranoid to the nth degree- not to mention full of internal conflict as a race. They’re perhaps THE least peaceful race among the player races – at least the charr and norn don’t think the fella next to them is going to steal all of their stuff in the middle of the night causing them to create complex ciphers for simple notes. Why do you think the asura mostly have labs out in the middle of nowhere? For safety reasons? PFHA! Only the most noble of asura (and they are indeed few) do that – most are in the middle of nowhere because there’s then less risk of people stealing their research, or because their research is so harmful that the Arcane Council (who in itself is plotting world domination – yeah, the asuran government is outright Pinky and the Brain) forces their labs to be in the middle of nowhere.

Very peaceful, indeed.

Genocide

Except that there’s still a good number of asura who use skritt as lab rats and see them as fodder to exterminate.

So no, not really.

It’s just that it’s not “the norm” to hate on skritt so much.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

really, I have to say the creators did a great job with all the playable civilizations. Ones i would like to have grown up in is the charr for their purposefulness . Sylvari for their uniquness and sense of wonder. And probably Norn for their independence. …..or maybe just human and get to travel and experience all of them through my own human eyes

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Posted by: ichal.9504

ichal.9504

The asura are not at all peaceful, although they aren’t warlike either. They don’t strive to “improve their lives”, they strive to improve their ego: everything they do is so that everyone else would bow down and acknowledge their superiority. And there is no indication that their technology and research and environmentally friendly, in fact the most environmentally devastating technologies are asuran.

in one quest in mount maelstorm, you have to clean pollution in the sea caused by the inquest

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

The asura are real reminiscent of the scientists in gullivers travels. they were all working on their individual projects so they got relativly little done. now asura are a little better since they atleast have crews but they are similar in that there is few collective asuran goals. the one big one we know of is clearly stated as asuran rulership of the lesser races.

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Tuomir.1830

I find that the Skritt hold the most potential of the races of Tyria. Just wait until they get a population big enough to realize to live somewhere where spiders won’t eat their babies!

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Posted by: Korsbaek.9803

Korsbaek.9803

first off i will like you to say sorry to the vikings as they at there time where the most feared groupe off people in europe and there ancesters where also the race that bet rome back so they could not advanse more north then they did(the west strongest empire up to moden time, just got there kitten handed to them by some drunking vikings) and they also bet the strongest military they had

my gess for the best civilizatio must be Lions arch as they are not bound to one race but combins them all under one flag/goverment

tho the best race must be the sylvari as they have the knowlege and power to live with nature and gain strength instead of living of it and gain strenget as living of it will end when the nature as nothing more to give of

and there is so many nations based on war that last longer then some of our moden contrues by miles still and if you say that any nation in the moden world is not basing something around war then your greatly mistaken(every nation has a militia in some way and that is the same the charr has)

Commander Korsbaek lvl 80 Guardian
Ayano Yagami lvl 80 ele

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Posted by: UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

Humans of course. They at least know how to lay out a city.

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

What do you guys think is the best civilization/race, based on culture and economy rather than skills and questlines?
I think the Asura are the current winners, but will be triumphed by the sylvari at some point.

Sylvari are potent to become the master race in Tyria. They’ve only been around for 25, yet they have a capitol and are present all over the world. The dream is a better alternative to our genes, instead of giving characteristics to future generations, the dream provides the entire knowledge the race has gathered and also gives them direction and purpose in life. Imagine what greatness they would achieve in another 25 years. The only problem is that we don’t know yet how the nightmare court and the 6th dragon are linked.

The Charr have a great industrial economy, but their entire civilization is based on war. Our history has shown us cultures like that tend to collapse rather fast…
Humans fail on all fronts, they’ve lost every recent battle they had and even their own religion has abandoned them.

Sylvari potential to dominate Tyria in the future? HAHAHAHAHA. Yeah… no, they are vegetables. As soon as the dragon threat is delt with, either the Charr or the Asura will nuke the Pale Tree and it will be glorious.

It’s either Charr or Asura who will conquer Tyria in the future, to put it simply, the one who manages to pay more Norn to on their side (but it will probably the Charr, as the have a mutual respect for each other, while no one is willing to work with the arrogant Asura for long).

There is also Palawa Joko and his undead minions, they seem to be doing pretty good, fighting of dragon minions and ruling Elona with an iron (yet mummified) fist.

And one should not forget Cantha, maybe weakened by the isolation, but who knows, maybe they are stronger than ever, ready to retake all of Tyria in the name of humanity?

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Embolism.8106

Except that there’s still a good number of asura who use skritt as lab rats and see them as fodder to exterminate.

So no, not really.

It’s just that it’s not “the norm” to hate on skritt so much.

Using them as lab rats is one thing, asura in general are not that concerned about the safety of even other asura and it isn’t a stretch to imagine they’d feel even less concerned about “lesser” races.

I don’t remember seeing any asura wanting to kill skritt just because, the skritt are almost always the ones that start it: even if the retribution for whatever the skritt did may be rather extreme, but that seems to apply to all “kill thieves/annoying people” events in GW2.

In fact there are asura who are actively helping the skritt, such as in the Anthill.

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

And one should not forget Cantha, maybe weakened by the isolation, but who knows, maybe they are stronger than ever, ready to retake all of Tyria in the name of humanity?

Ever read “Cetaganda” by Lois McMasters Bujold? If Cantha comes out of isolation, I kind of expect that as a result. Either that or if you’re an older science fiction fan, “Solarians” from Issac Asimov.

By the way, discussed to death, but the asura are not peaceful. They simply aren’t keen on brute force themselves . . . more than willing to manipulate others into doing the work though.

But the best civilization I’m going to have to go with the dwarves. Long since disappeared and Deldrimor steel is still among the best you can get.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Oglaf.1074

By the way, discussed to death, but the asura are not peaceful. They simply aren’t keen on brute force themselves . . . more than willing to manipulate others into doing the work though.

Like sending in a few Golem Death Squads to rough someone up.

Do you even lift, bro?

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

BuddhaKeks.4857

Ever read “Cetaganda” by Lois McMasters Bujold? If Cantha comes out of isolation, I kind of expect that as a result. Either that or if you’re an older science fiction fan, “Solarians” from Issac Asimov.

The thing is, historically isolation weakens a nation, just look at china. Once one of the most technologically and scientifically advanced empires on earth, they fell behind europe when they went into isolation. In europe the industrial revolution kicked off, a few decades later, china was devided into european colonies.
Now let’s look at Tyria and the industrial revolution being started by the Charr and to a lesser degree by the Asura. The door could swing both ways right now, depending on who makes his move first.

(edited by BuddhaKeks.4857)

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

Asura are to selfish, if they could take over the world, they would constantly fight eachother and the other races would be able to stop the Asura dominance. No race in Tyria is powerfull enough to control the world (except Silvary, there population grows incrdibly fast, but they are still to peaceful to take control, give them 100 more years,…

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Oglaf.1074

You forget that the Sylvari are not powerful.

They’re friggin’ hippie vegetables.

Their numbers don’t matter, they’re never taking over anything, let alone the world!

Do you even lift, bro?

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Posted by: JohnLShannonhouse.1820

JohnLShannonhouse.1820

Asura are constantly backstabbing, stealing from and sabotaging rival krewes to get ahead. They aren’t a peaceful race, they’re a race in a constant gang war with each other.

A hylek calls out an Asura on this in Metrica near the crafting stations. The Asura asks why hylek tribes constantly fight. She replies that all hylek want the same hunting grounds, breeding grounds, etc. and there is not enough to go around, so they kill each other to see who gets it. The Asura said it seems wasteful. Couldn’t they work it out by talking? Couldn’t they cooperate? She asks “You mean like how different Asura labs cooperate?” He stumbles trying to come up with a response, then says “You’re right. Point taken.”

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Tobias Trueflight.8350

The thing is, historically isolation weakens a nation, just look at china. Once one of the most technologically and scientifically advanced empires on earth, they fell behind europe when they went into isolation. In europe the industrial revolution kicked off, a few decades later, china was devided into european colonies.
Now let’s look at Tyria and the industrial revolution being started by the Charr and to a lesser degree by the Asura. The door could swing both ways right now, depending on who makes his move first.

Yes, well, I’m not talking about historically, I’m talking about fictionally. Especially in a case where it’s not just a country (China, or Japan) it’s a continent where they do have resources to exploit. Not the least of which is magic.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Erector.1458

Sylvari potential to dominate Tyria in the future? HAHAHAHAHA. Yeah… no, they are vegetables. As soon as the dragon threat is delt with, either the Charr or the Asura will nuke the Pale Tree and it will be glorious.

It’s either Charr or Asura who will conquer Tyria in the future, to put it simply, the one who manages to pay more Norn to on their side (but it will probably the Charr, as the have a mutual respect for each other, while no one is willing to work with the arrogant Asura for long).

There is also Palawa Joko and his undead minions, they seem to be doing pretty good, fighting of dragon minions and ruling Elona with an iron (yet mummified) fist.

Don’t you even think about nuking the pale tree. By doing so, you would be destroying Tyria’s ecosystem. Therefor, you would be killing yourselves.

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

BuddhaKeks.4857

Don’t you even think about nuking the pale tree. By doing so, you would be destroying Tyria’s ecosystem. Therefor, you would be killing yourselves.

The ecosystem was working perfectly fine without them for thousands of years, why would anything bad happen if they are extinct? What do they even do for the ecosystem? In fact they are urbanizing the jungle, taking away the natural habitat of hundreds of species native to the Tarnished Coast.
They are like a virus, a parasite, destroying all that is left from Tyria’s natural beauty.

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Oglaf.1074

Uhm… no?

Anyway, the Sylvari are probably the strategically weakest race due to their reliance on The Pale Tree to replenish their numbers.

Take out Hoelbrak… pfft. That is just one (albeit big) homestead. There are countless other Norn settlements.

Take out Black Citadel… the Charr have military outposts scattered throughout their territory.

Take out Divinity’s Reach… Humanity have other fortress cities á la Ebonhawke.

Take out Rata Sum… Granted, you’ll take out the Council, but they were corrupt either way.

Do you even lift, bro?

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Well, Oglaf … you do realize that there were other seeds in the cave where Ronan found the Pale Tree’s? As such, none of us remotely know how many Sylvari are runnin around out there. As such, the Sylvari aren’t strategically weak. Indeed, it’s very possible they’re like Pod People, and will run amok on the whole of Tyria.

Unless Asura discover time-travel, then all bets are off.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Well, Oglaf … you do realize that there were other seeds in the cave where Ronan found the Pale Tree’s?

Caravan. Caravan. As in, the White Mantle for some reason had the seed and he stole it.

I’m more worried about what the White Mantle was planning on doing with it.

As such, none of us remotely know how many Sylvari are runnin around out there. As such, the Sylvari aren’t strategically weak. Indeed, it’s very possible they’re like Pod People, and will run amok on the whole of Tyria.

At least one asura did. Thankfully they were a bit of a moron and easily dispatched by their past selves.

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Well, Oglaf … you do realize that there were other seeds in the cave where Ronan found the Pale Tree’s?

Caravan. Caravan. As in, the White Mantle for some reason had the seed and he stole it.

I’m more worried about what the White Mantle was planning on doing with it.

As such, none of us remotely know how many Sylvari are runnin around out there. As such, the Sylvari aren’t strategically weak. Indeed, it’s very possible they’re like Pod People, and will run amok on the whole of Tyria.

At least one asura did. Thankfully they were a bit of a moron and easily dispatched by their past selves.

Yes. And I bloody wish I could change that a bit … replace the dorky NPC sidekick
with Zojja. Get a true Asura Master Race going on

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

Nightmare Court Sylvari has the biggest potential. They follow no rules or morality. If they successfully corrupt the Pale Tree, their numbers will be unlimited. It takes 20 years to grow a human. 30 years to grow a Norn and Charr. Sylvari can be grown much faster. And they can be “brain washed” while inside the Pale Tree, so they obey one ideal and one ideal only. A perfect unquestioning loyal army of destruction.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

(edited by CHIPS.6018)

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Oglaf.1074

Nightmare Court Sylvari has the biggest potential. They follow no rules or morality. If they successfully corrupt the Pale Tree, their numbers will be unlimited. It takes 20 years to grow a human. 30 years to grow a Norn and Charr. Sylvari can be grown much faster.

Except that as long as you have male and females you can pretty much have an endless supply of babies.

You put a torch to the Pale Tree and that is the end for the Sylvari.

EDIT: The Sylvari as we know them.

Do you even lift, bro?

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Nightmare Court Sylvari has the biggest potential. They follow no rules or morality. If they successfully corrupt the Pale Tree, their numbers will be unlimited. It takes 20 years to grow a human. 30 years to grow a Norn and Charr. Sylvari can be grown much faster.

Except that as long as you have male and females you can pretty much have an endless supply of babies.

If it was only that simple, my ranger would have taken care of that already . . .

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Oglaf.1074

If it was only that simple, my ranger would have taken care of that already . . .

Go pay a visit to The Grove and have a little ‘accident’ or two. Why not bring your Engineer buddy and his Flamethrower Kit with you, too? Those are notorious for having ‘accidents’.

Do you even lift, bro?

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Go pay a visit to The Grove and have a little ‘accident’ or two. Why not bring your Engineer buddy and his Flamethrower Kit with you, too? Those are notorious for having ‘accidents’.

Look, as I said, it wasn’t that simple. I even tried . . . I mean, I was showing my Hounds of Balthazar to some sylvari and it didn’t harm them very thankfully.

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

The problem is that you assumed the Pale Tree cannot fight. Just because it sits around and have a cute avatar that talks friendly it doesn’t mean it cannot hold its own in a fight. You are talking about a tree that size of a city. Think of the Nightmare Tree, 10,000 times bigger. Even an elder dragon would turn tail and flee.

A huge unquestioning and loyal army that cannot be corrupted by any external forces and cannot be risen as undead. With them are hordes of Oak Hearts and other plants that are super hard to kill. And they stand in front of a Nightmare Pale Tree the size of a city. This is by far the strongest fighting force in the known world.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

(edited by CHIPS.6018)

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Oglaf.1074

Look, as I said, it wasn’t that simple. I even tried . . . I mean, I was showing my Hounds of Balthazar to some sylvari and it didn’t harm them very thankfully.

I didn’t literally mean to bring a torch into the presence of the Avatar of the Pale Tree.

The problem is that you assumed the Pale Tree cannot fight. Just because it sits around and have an avatar that talks friendly it doesn’t mean it cannot hold its own in a fight. You are talking about a tree that size of a city. Think of the Nightmare Tree, 10,000 times bigger. Even an elder dragon would turn tail and flee.

It is essentially a city.

Cities can be besieged.

If the Grove and the Pale Tree falls, it is curtains down for the veggie people. The loss of their “capital” would be more devastating to them than to any other of the races.

Do you even lift, bro?

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I didn’t literally mean to bring a torch into the presence of the Avatar of the Pale Tree.

. . . why not? By the way, all that water around means it’s unlikely to get a fire going. Very damp. Also, green wood is not easy to get started, so . . .

I say to those humans who wish a fiery death on the Grove? Release the Hounds!

It is essentially a city.

Cities can be besieged.

If the Grove and the Pale Tree falls, it is curtains down for the veggie people. The loss of their “capital” would be more devastating to them than to any other of the races.

Note, there is at least one other “tree” which can be implied to exist out in the world.

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Oglaf.1074

Note, there is at least one other “tree” which can be implied to exist out in the world.

Which is irrelevant to this discussion as they are not the Sylvari civilization/race we have in the game…? They don’t seem to collaborate as one big civilization, but rather is every “tree” for itself. I don’t think they’d come running to the aid of the in-game Sylvari. And definitely not join them in taking over the world!

EDIT: To put a torch to something doesn’t necessary mean burning it. To torch a city could just mean razing it to the ground, regardless of preferred choice of mass destruction.

Do you even lift, bro?

(edited by Oglaf.1074)

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Which is irrelevant to this discussion as they are not the Sylvari civilization/race we have in the game…? They don’t seem to collaborate as one big civilization, but rather is every “tree” for itself.

Or maybe we’re counting all the “lost” Human civilizations to be included with the in-game Human race?

I would count Elonians (even enslaved to the will of Palawa Joko’s despotic rule) or Canthans (who are doing Kormir knows what) as human in the case of “they’ll probably outlive what happens to Tyrian continentals”.

Sort of how if Australia succumbed to the plethora of Things That Will Kill You, it wouldn’t mean humanity was doomed.

EDIT: To put a torch to something doesn’t necessary mean burning it. To torch a city could just mean razing it to the ground, regardless of preferred choice of mass destruction.

REALLY hard to torch something (in the colloquial sense) when there’s that much water around. And plants which probably can function as jets of water.

What you need are those Ghostfire shells the charr have.

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Oglaf.1074

Oh yeah….

If the Charr ever got P.O’d with the Sylvari, they could just start chucking Ghostfire shells in there and that’d be it…

Do you even lift, bro?

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Oh yeah….

If the Charr ever got P.O’d with the Sylvari, they could just start chucking Ghostfire shells in there and that’d be it…

Or if the charr ever got fed up with asura. Or norn. Or the icebrood. Or the dredge.

I suppose they could adopt the new mantra: “Ghostfire, is there any problem it doesn’t solve?”

Personally I was a fan of how the Lionguard dealt with the Ancient Karka. “Can’t crack the shell? Pfft, let’s just drop it in some lava and cook it in its own shell.”

Best civilization/race?

in Lore

Oglaf.1074

Yeah but it wouldn’t be as a decisive victory as operation Bombing The Grove would be. It would pretty much annihilate the Sylvari in one fell swoop. Trying to do the same to Asura (with all their labs and stuff scattered everywhere) and Norns (with all homesteads and lodges everywhere) wouldn’t be as effective. Getting rid of Divinity’s Reach and Queen Jenna would be a devastating blow to Human morale/organization, but they’d still have strongholds out there from which to fight back.

You’d have to spend years in the freezing Shiverpeaks to try and stamp out every last ounce of Norn resistance. And survivors could live on and breed to come back and haunt you later on with their descendants.

Do you even lift, bro?