Blood or Corruption - Scarlet & Mordy

in Lore

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

So quick question about corrupted sylvari appearance and sylvari blood.

1. We know sylvari blood is like sap. Yep.
2. We have met sylvari who are influenced by Mordy but don’t show signs of visible corruption.
3. We killed Scarlet.

When Scarlet attacked Lion’s Arch and then the player character and misc friends boarded the Breachmaker, Scarlet was wearing a helmet. We can assume the player character took it because we get the actual physical helmet as a reward for the instance.

Then we get the cutscene. Scarlet looks like this: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/e/e6/Scarlet_Dead.jpg in the cutscene, good and dead. The real question I’m asking here is: the glowing lines running from her neck and onto her face and head, is that blood or is that Mordremoth’s corruption? I always assumed it was blood, but now I’m not so sure.

Just a quick question. I personally don’t know either way.

in Lore

Posted by: shadowfanatik.5160

shadowfanatik.5160

in the short story " what scarlet saw" after ceara is awoken by omadd she begins to glow red, and a small thorny vine wraps itself between her fingers, personally I’m hoping that this was evidence of Mordremoth beginning to gain influence over her, even if said influence was unconcious and neither party was aware of it, its quite possible that as scarlett descended into madness she realized that she was being corrupted and created her armor in an attempt to slow it down or hide it from those around her

Raak Bloodmaw

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

According to Ghosts of Ascalon, sylvari begin to wilt almost immediately after death.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

I See No Tomorrow.7302

in the short story " what scarlet saw" after ceara is awoken by omadd she begins to glow red, and a small thorny vine wraps itself between her fingers, personally I’m hoping that this was evidence of Mordremoth beginning to gain influence over her, even if said influence was unconcious and neither party was aware of it, its quite possible that as scarlett descended into madness she realized that she was being corrupted and created her armor in an attempt to slow it down or hide it from those around her

Aye, I was thinking it was a possibility that she was wearing the helmet to hide potential visible corruption.

According to Ghosts of Ascalon, sylvari begin to wilt almost immediately after death.

Oh interesting, I never got around to reading any of the books, sadly. Would you say that Scarlet is “wilting” at the beginning of that cutscene, then? Is there ever any description of what wilting would look like?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Page 261 of GoA:

Despite the rain falling on her figure freely now, her skin was already starting to turn black around the edges, like petals of a plucked flower.

Best description there is, really.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Worth to mention though that the books have been all but officially announced as non-canon, so there might be some inconsistencies.

One – Piken Square

in Lore

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Worth to mention though that the books have been all but officially announced as non-canon, so there might be some inconsistencies.

That’s not really fair. What was said was that when lore inconsistencies exist between the game and out-of-game sources, the game takes precedence and that, should it be neccesary, out-of-game sources might be mallable to some extent. That is not the same as calling them non-canon. They are canon untill proven otherwise.

in Lore

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

That’s not really fair. What was said was that when lore inconsistencies exist between the game and out-of-game sources, the game takes precedence and that, should it be neccesary, out-of-game sources might be mallable to some extent. That is not the same as calling them non-canon. They are canon untill proven otherwise.

Fair enough. I don’t think there has been anything said in-game about dead Sylvari getting wilted.

One – Piken Square

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Bobby Stein said out of game sources are malleable.

Angel McCoy later clarified after the backlash of complaints that what was meant was that interviews and forum posts are malleable – the short stories, novels, and games are all equally canon. The reason given for why interviews and forum posts are malleable is because the devs are “put on the spot” (though this is not true for most) and thus can get stuff wrong (which wasn’t an issue until Jeff and Ree went off center stage for lore interviews).

For the krait blog post, what was said was that it spoke of times historically – so it was “out of date”, not retconned or changed. And I presume the same would hold for other blog posts by Anet’s eyes – basically they’re circa 1324 AE at the latest (though given the info on the krait, it’d be older than 50 years by in-universe standards).

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

I See No Tomorrow.7302

sigh and thus the thread becomes about which sources are canon and which are not. This was a fairly simple question folks, and thus far few people have attempted to answer, with some folks merely referencing something without sharing anything definitive about their opinion.

Here’s what I’ll say: Scarlet certainly looks like she’s wilting, with the blackened skin around the back of her head. But then again, we’ve never before seen a depiction of a dead sylvari up close like this while not in the overworld (where wilting would be difficult/impossible to implement). So my question remains: while she does seem like she’s wilting, is it possible that those lines on her face are the beginning of visible Mordremoth corruption or merely a depiction of glowing sylvari blood? I question the idea that it’s blood because I don’t know if it’s been established that it’s that bright or that it glows.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

It is possible, but with so little information, it’s possible that she had a fondness for yellow tattoos.

Dear ANet writers,