Bloodstones & Obelisks

Bloodstones & Obelisks

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

I find it really interesting that talking to the scholar who does the Krait Obelisk scavenger hunt afterwards. She says that the magical energy coming off of these Obelisks are reminiscent to her of the Bloodstone Shards that the Priory have been studying. This tells me two things.

1. This event is likely taking place after the Arah Explorable path, unless Bloodstone Shards were in the Priory’s hands prior to that path.

2. And more importantly. There is some connection when it comes to power between Bloodstones and krait Obelisks. I do want to point out that she states straight out that they are not made of the same material, but it still adds some intrigue as to what they are when just a shard of an Obelisk is similar enough in power to a Bloodstone Shard to, in her own words, “make her wary.”

Bloodstones & Obelisks

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

I’ve been thinking about this too. About the time when other people started circulating the “toxic transformations as Mordremoth corruption” theory, I started playing with the idea that Scarlet may have imbued the shards she got her hands on with Mordremoth’s power, and by presenting it to them as the power of their obelisks the krait agreed to undergo the transformations. Since it technically hasn’t been disproved (the spores and their toxins are attributed in part to krait magic, but nothing on the actual transformations) I’d still like to believe that this is the case, since that would stop the obelisks from A.) becoming something that’s been done before; and B.) undermining the importance of the Bloodstones even further.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Bloodstones & Obelisks

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Okay, I have a crazy piece of speculation that has been rumbling around in my head the last hour until I could get it into some sort of coherency.

I have been thinking about the power held within the Obelisks, preferring to believe that the magic within them is their own natural magic and not Mordremoth’s corruption. I started thinking about the Bloodstone and it’s creation by the Seers and started thinking about another race that was extremely strong with magic and the infusion of magic into objects (aka preliminary creation of magi-tech) and I thought of the mursaat. I know mursaat and seers have been done to death, but I think the idea holds some possibilities. We know that the mursaat and seers were at odds at one point in time, quite possibly around the time of the creation of the Bloodstone. I have to wonder if the Obelisks weren’t made as some possible counter to the Bloodstone in order to protect mursaat magic from the effects of the Bloodstone, or perhaps a weapon against the Seers in their war. This seems extremely speculative until you bring krait mythology into the mixture.

The krait aren’t mentioned by any legends as having existed back in the days of the last dragon rising, but neither are Karka, Djinn, or a few other races that we’ve been learning about in the past few months. So my speculation rests on the idea that perhaps the mursaat used the krait as guards for their new technology, whatever it’s use. 10,000 years ago, the krait could well have been a very primitive race, and thus easily manipulated into doing what the mursaat wanted, very similar to the grawl. After the mursaat/seer war, the mursaat came back shortly to order the krait to protect these objects before “phasing out”. I know it sounds a little crazy, but in my mind this, over 10,000 years could have grown from pure historical fact into religious fanaticism easily. As one of my favorite books states. “Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades into myth,” eventually the memory of a strong and ancient race who guided them disappearing and leaving the obelisk in their care grows into a race of fanatics that believe that their gods will return to bring them to the supremacy that they deserve, being the god’s chosen.

I’d value anyone’s input on this theory. I understand that it rests on very few pieces of actual lore, but it’s fun nonetheless, and because the magic of the bloodstones was already taken away from the gods, I do not feel that it changes any more of the way in which the gods are perceived.

Bloodstones & Obelisks

in Lore

Posted by: Psynch.4087

Psynch.4087

I’ve been thinking about this too. About the time when other people started circulating the “toxic transformations as Mordremoth corruption” theory, I started playing with the idea that Scarlet may have imbued the shards she got her hands on with Mordremoth’s power, and by presenting it to them as the power of their obelisks the krait agreed to undergo the transformations. Since it technically hasn’t been disproved (the spores and their toxins are attributed in part to krait magic, but nothing on the actual transformations) I’d still like to believe that this is the case, since that would stop the obelisks from A.) becoming something that’s been done before; and B.) undermining the importance of the Bloodstones even further.

It’s possible that the stones are infused with dragon magic, but there’s no reason why it’s necessarily Mordremoth’s magic. Given that other dragon-corrupted sources are so readily available (i.e. the chaos crystals used to power the Thaumanova Reactor, and likely the Infinite Coil as well), I don’t see why/how she would have the power of Mordremoth infused in these stones instead. I don’t see it as Mordremoth magic corruption, but rather, chaos magic infusion.

Bloodstones & Obelisks

in Lore

Posted by: Psynch.4087

Psynch.4087

I’d value anyone’s input on this theory. I understand that it rests on very few pieces of actual lore, but it’s fun nonetheless, and because the magic of the bloodstones was already taken away from the gods, I do not feel that it changes any more of the way in which the gods are perceived.

As you said, it rests on very little known lore. Perhaps if you would pass your idea through the lens of the living story so far, that would point us in the right direction. Why all of these alliances? Most importantly right now — how does the toxic hybrid (and its emphasis on evolution/fusing of races) fit into all of this? Always fun to explore possible directions in lore

Bloodstones & Obelisks

in Lore

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

My view – The similarity with bloodstones could be that magic was put into them. That’s pretty vague. We don’t know what use the krait make of obelisks but they have religious beliefs involving prophets and religious beliefs involving obelisks, so they could be related. The obelisks come from the deep ocean so it means there is almost no reliable information to suggest who made them or how. We don’t know if Scarlet used obelisks or not since we saw none in the Nightmare Tower. If the obelisks are storing magical power then it would surely make sense for Scarlet to collect them herself rather than let the krait guard them in religious shrines scattered across the ocean.

Bloodstones & Obelisks

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

My view – The similarity with bloodstones could be that magic was put into them. That’s pretty vague.

That’s my take as well.

They’re both of strange materials and both imbued with magic. Beyond this, there’s no real means of telling of a connection.

And to be honest, I always suspected that the obelisks held magic – specifically I suspected DSD-related magic.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Bloodstones & Obelisks

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

The krait, in any event, definitely see a connection- they believe the obelisks mark the location of each prophet’s ascension, and will be the vehicle of their return. From what we hear in these latest patches, it seems the krait no longer guard them, and have been bereft of the obelisks ever since they were driven from the deeps around fifty years ago. Furthermore, we know that Scarlet did somehow aquire shards of at least one obelisk, and returned many of them to the krait, though she may certainly have kept more, or even the majority, for herself. The krait have since distributed these shards between their holdings across the continent.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.