Can a Wyld Hunt be wrong or impossible?

in Lore

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Random idea I had while at work today, which may actually be two related ideas: Is it possible for a sylvari to misunderstand their Wyld Hunt? Could they set out to do something which is actually impossible? And could they think they’re on a Wyld Hunt when they’re not?

During the early part of the sylvari storyline (I believe it’s the start of the level 20 stories, but not sure if it’s in all of them) Caithe expresses the concern that Traherne’s Hunt to heal Orr and start it’s regrowth is ephemeral and may not have an actual solution. But of course that proves not to be the case. It may not have been easy (I get the impression a lot of time and effort went into creating that ritual, even before we got involved) but it was possible.

But are there any cases of sylvari attempting a Hunt which, at least for now, appears to be literally impossible? For example seeking a person or place which does not exist. And if so is it really a Wyld Hunt?

I know there are examples where the individual in question only seems to know part of the Hunt, and not the end goal (unlike the PC and Caithe who started with an end goal – kill dragon/s and worked backwards). If I remember correctly there’s a sylvari Lionguard in one of the havens (but I can’t remember which) who says her Hunt lead her to visit the haven and join the Lionguard and she gets the sense it’s not over but doesn’t know what comes next.

Which brings me on to my second point. Sylvari have trouble describing how a Wyld Hunt feels, even to other sylvari, except for saying you just know, you feel like you have to go somewhere and/or do something and you cannot feel fully relaxed or happy unless you’re working towards that.

But could they be wrong? If a sylvari has never experienced a true Wyld Hunt is it possible they could mistake other feelings, like a normal desire to visit a place you’ve heard about (or saw in the Dream), or feelings for an individual (love, hate, protectiveness etc.) for their Hunt?

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

But are there any cases of sylvari attempting a Hunt which, at least for now, appears to be literally impossible? For example seeking a person or place which does not exist.

None at the moment. The dialogue you mentioned above also marks Trahearne out as odd, and besides for him and Caithe, all the other Valiants we see who talk to us about their Hunts seem to have a pretty good idea of what they’re doing. Plenty of them will fail and die, and they know that, but in theory none of them seem to think they’re chasing the impossible.

If a sylvari has never experienced a true Wyld Hunt is it possible they could mistake other feelings, like a normal desire to visit a place you’ve heard about (or saw in the Dream), or feelings for an individual (love, hate, protectiveness etc.) for their Hunt?

I’d say yes. For starters, we know that Mordremoth’s tampering worked that way with Caithe, and possibly others. In more mundane circumstances… well, nothing says that sylvari are immune to misunderstandings. I think they’d figure it out pretty quick if an actual Hunt came along, and I think that any sylvari who had experienced a Hunt and sat down to talk to them about it could set them straight, but even then, if they’re stubborn enough or have ample reason to go into denial…

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I hope it can be impossible to complete. My first sylvari had a Hunt to find “the most beautiful place in the world.” (This was how I had her explore everywhere and be my second of my only two alts to get world completion — back when WvW was involved, too!).

This of course gave her an ever shifting goal, seeing as how the same place will look different at different times, beauty is subjective, and she could get fascinated by a shell on a beach as easily as by a panoramic vista. But as she went, she fed all that she saw to the Dream — it was the journey that mattered, when it came down to it, not the conclusion.

in Lore

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

I hope it can be impossible to complete. My first sylvari had a Hunt to find “the most beautiful place in the world.” (This was how I had her explore everywhere and be my second of my only two alts to get world completion — back when WvW was involved, too!).

This of course gave her an ever shifting goal, seeing as how the same place will look different at different times, beauty is subjective, and she could get fascinated by a shell on a beach as easily as by a panoramic vista. But as she went, she fed all that she saw to the Dream — it was the journey that mattered, when it came down to it, not the conclusion.

Sorry, but you really can’t use your RPing as an example for actual Lore.

Hate is Fuel.

in Lore

Posted by: Aden Yeshua.2148

Aden Yeshua.2148

I’d say we are missing quite a bit of data to make that determination. As all things Sylvari it’s probably closer to their biology.

“Wyld Hunts are described by sylvari as being like an itching feeling at the back of the neck that you cannot scratch until fulfilling the Wyld Hunt. Upon completing a Wyld Hunt, a sylvari may be given another one. "

I’m more interested in who or what put this “itch” there in the first place. How and if that can be exploited. Or is it something as simple as the planets way of combating the Elder Dragons. Since we will most likely never get a detailed answer as who or what Sylvari was perceiving at the time, we can analyze the end goal… they really want to kill dragons. lol

Sorry, that’s the best I have given so many unknowns…

in Lore

Posted by: Arden.7480

Arden.7480

Yes it can be impossible- Trahearne’s Wyld Hunt was impossible because in his dream he saw that he must clean Orr but he also saw Orr as the green, shining place once more. He did not see this, he died. We saw how Orr looks- there are some trees and flowers but it is not as beautiful as we imagined.

“The Elder Dragon is no more”

in Lore

Posted by: Arden.7480

Arden.7480

About bad Wyld Hunt- look at Scarlet. I think her Wyld Hunt was to awake Mordremoth. It is really bad Wyld Hunt.

“The Elder Dragon is no more”

in Lore

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I’m more interested in who or what put this “itch” there in the first place. How and if that can be exploited. Or is it something as simple as the planets way of combating the Elder Dragons. Since we will most likely never get a detailed answer as who or what Sylvari was perceiving at the time, we can analyze the end goal… they really want to kill dragons.

The “itch” is biological, or perhaps psychological. Basically, it’s a compulsion to try and complete this quest they were given, although not all of them will be successful. Our best guess is that the Hunts are tied to the Dream, although my personal theory is that it’s tied to the fact they were minions of Mordremoth.

Yes it can be impossible- Trahearne’s Wyld Hunt was impossible because in his dream he saw that he must clean Orr but he also saw Orr as the green, shining place once more. He did not see this, he died. We saw how Orr looks- there are some trees and flowers but it is not as beautiful as we imagined.

Except that cleansing Orr wasn’t impossible. Trahearne took the first steps towards purification, but perhaps there was more to be expected of him. It’s been ages since I played the Orr section of the personal story, so I can’t remember if Trahearne said he felt his Wyld Hunt was completed, but it definitely wasn’t impossible. Nor was slaying a dragon, as with the sylvari PC and Caithe, even though it seemed like it at first. So I’ll say Wyld Hunts are possible, but possible does not guarantee they will be done, nor that it will be easy to do.

in Lore

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Well a Buddhist would tell you it’s not the goal but the journey. There are many stories of quests that are impossible or seemingly impossible.

There are also stories of doomed quests, undertaken for rash reasons. Trying to win the love of another, despite the fact the other wants nothing to do with them, for example.

One may have a quest that cannot be accomplished, for the value of trying. A common example is a person trying to make the “perfect” [insert object]

Mesmerising Girl

in Lore

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

About bad Wyld Hunt- look at Scarlet. I think her Wyld Hunt was to awake Mordremoth. It is really bad Wyld Hunt.

“Bad Wyld Hunts” are called Dark Hunts.

in Lore

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Sorry, but you really can’t use your RPing as an example for actual Lore.

I’m not. It’s the other way around, as my first sentence indicates — I’m hoping the lore turns out to be such that my RP can be canon. It’s a background I set up for one of my first early access characters and as such I didn’t know enough about sylvari to design one well, but enough RP hinged on that background that I can’t retcon it to fit.

So I hope Hunts can be impossible to complete, as I said. If they can’t, her whole arc of years is invalid.

in Lore

Posted by: SunRain.8972

SunRain.8972

First off the basic idea of a sylvaris way of seeing the dream is as a guiding light in a very fanatic level. That when they assume they finally know the message of the dream they are right and all is wrong.
Guild Wars pretty much shows that moral is not a universal construct and its abit more complex, so a sylvari who is brute and its wyld hunt is to be a great fighter can end up having the wrong way of seeing its wyld hunt. i’d say many sylvaris might have got the wrong meaning of their Wyld Hunt

“From the place where we are right
Flowers will never grow
In the spring.” – Yehuda Amichai