Can someone sum up the story for me?

in Lore

Posted by: Superfast.5901

Superfast.5901

So I haven’t played in a while, and I’m trying to get back into the game, realizing that I’ve missed a lot of the story.

Basically, I left after the first part of Living Story (refugees) and know they now reside in Southsun?

What of the Elder Dragons and such? Trahearne?

Consortium, Fractals of the Mists, any of the lore been explained for that? I thought it really intriguing.

Just wanting a basic outline of the lore following the fall of Zhaitan and how it all strings together so far, thanks!

(edited by Superfast.5901)

in Lore

Posted by: Eluveitie.1290

Eluveitie.1290

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_summary

Missing the last few updates (Tequatl, Twilight Assault and Halloween I think). Which don’t really have much story-wise anyway.

Not much has been explained really, and the story feels like something out of a indian street food cart.

(edited by Eluveitie.1290)

in Lore

Superfast.5901

Thanks for the link, I’ve browsed through that exact wiki page before but I was hoping to extract from the community some way that this all ties into the overarching plot, assuming it’s still one of the Elder Dragon threat that forced Tyrians to ally with each other.

in Lore

Eluveitie.1290

Well, Halloween is somewhat interesting, but you can play that now. Nothing new from any dragon, except that Tequatl has been gathering power from something or someone. Some believe this could be tied to a dragon, Zhaitan within the possibilities.

As we allied, so have been the “evil” ones too, so it seems: Molten Alliance (Dredge+Flame Legion), Aetherblades (Interracial pirates, no Sylvari though+Inquest), Nightmare Court with Aetherblades, and upcoming Nightmare Court with Krait. All orchestated by Scarlet, a bad weed from the Pale Tree, which kills any hope of interesting story so far.

(edited by Eluveitie.1290)

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

We’ve heard a grand total of nothing from Trahearne. As for the elder Dragons, there have been times when the community has jumped and said “Bubbles!” or “Mordremoth!” but those are all at the least unsubstantiated alarm. There’s nothing about Zhaitan being dead, very little about the Pact other than that they’re still interested in fighting dragons, in short no development of anything from the Personal Story. Essentially the Living Story acts as a completely unconnected parallel plot.

Fractals lore hasn’t been expanded upon since its release, but we did see more of the Consortium during that Southsun stuff- but the wiki has most of that.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Xehanort.7034

Xehanort.7034

Thanks. I did look over that page, but I still don’t understand whatever happened to the Elder Dragons. Isn’t the whole of GW2 supposed to be, Elder Dragon threat rose up, all Tyrians must set aside their differences and band together for the good of all the land?

Or is it more like, ‘Just kidding, let’s throw another party’…?

They’re obviously cowering in fear of little miss perfect scarlet. It’s a bloody shame too, seeing as they explicitly said that there will NOT be any new zones or any new news about the ED for the rest of this year. And honestly, all they have to do is TEASE about a new dragon champ from an unseen ED (doesn’t even have to be anything major, they could do something like a different kralky champ flying over the black citadel once every couple real life days, or even icebrood being more aggressive in terms of gaining territory) and I’m pretty sure quite a few people will be suddenly hyped about the LS.

in Lore

Eluveitie.1290

Thanks. I did look over that page, but I still don’t understand whatever happened to the Elder Dragons. Isn’t the whole of GW2 supposed to be, Elder Dragon threat rose up, all Tyrians must set aside their differences and band together for the good of all the land?

Or is it more like, ‘Just kidding, let’s throw another party’…?

They’re obviously cowering in fear of little miss perfect scarlet. It’s a bloody shame too, seeing as they explicitly said that there will NOT be any new zones or any new news about the ED for the rest of this year. And honestly, all they have to do is TEASE about a new dragon champ from an unseen ED (doesn’t even have to be anything major, they could do something like a different kralky champ flying over the black citadel once every couple real life days, or even icebrood being more aggressive in terms of gaining territory) and I’m pretty sure quite a few people will be suddenly hyped about the LS.

Something like this, in style of the most recent happenings in Kessex Hills, would greatly motivate the playerbase. Wasn’t in the patch notes. No one said anything. It just popped there. Someone found out, said it, spread and there you go. That would give the LS story, you know, a “living” feeling.

On an unrelated side note, ANET got problems naming their concepts. Personal story? Barely personal. Living story? Barely living.

If they would just name what they’re delivering, there wouldn’t be as many rants…

in Lore

Superfast.5901

Well this sounds.. disappointing. I wonder how much of the playerbase actually wants the game to go in this direction, and if Arena Net even cares. Fan service is such an overlooked factor in games like this, and sometimes I wonder if Arena Net is too stubborn and would rather make the game that THEY want.

It’s even more depressing when you compare it to other MMO developers: the FFXIV ARR team practically played career Russian Roulette when they shut down the original game and rebuilt it into the beast it is now (already 1.5+million new accounts since re-release and over 325,000 simultaneous logins, even though digital sales were halted for over a week). And this is not a new game, it’s a game that died and came back to life… that’s dedication to fans and to the franchise if I ever saw it.

Hell, even Bioware/EA is adding 12v12 space combat in their next free digital expansion.

Why can’t Arena Net get off their high horse and do something the fans will love? I don’t care if it’s some vague as kitten trailer of a dragon that says ‘coming Winter 2014’, at least there will be something to look forward to..

in Lore

Eluveitie.1290

ANET aren’t really the bad guys, NCSOFT on the other hand… though yes, the story -and lore- could be better and that’s entirely up to the free resource of creativity and thoughts, althought might be limited by tangible resources, of which the latter company is responsible for.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

So I haven’t played in a while, and I’m trying to get back into the game, realizing that I’ve missed a lot of the story.

Basically, I left after the first part of Living Story (refugees) and know they now reside in Southsun?

Consortium, Fractals of the Mists, any of the lore been explained for that? I thought it really intriguing.

Just wanting a basic outline of the lore following the fall of Zhaitan and how it all strings together so far, thanks!

To answer these questions exactly (in order):

• They don’t all reside there. After the Molten Alliance attacks ceased, the refugees split into three groups effectively – many who were in Lion’s Arch signed contracts with the Consortium and were legally oblidged to remain in the “resort”; Secret of Southsun and Last Stand at Southsun focused on Canach enticing the wildlife so that he can both get revenge at Noll as well as destroy those contracts (as since Lost Shores, aka off-screen and unknown to us except via dev post in forum, he began viewing himself as a hero of the people and even raided some Molten Facilities). The other refugees who were smarter or didn’t go to Lion’s Arch ended up joining the decimated warbands (for most charr) at North Nolan Hatchery (you can find all scavenger hunt charr there now, though I think some had their unpleasant stay on Southsun first) or went to Cragstead which rebuilt itself as a haven for MA refugees (including at least one charr).
  • We’ve gotten nothing on the Pact or the Elder Dragon in-game. After the Aetherblades’ reveal, Angel and Scott revealed in a video chat story synopsis that the Aetherblades stole Pact airships and that’s why they have them (though given their numbers now, and given Twilight Arbor’s new path where we can see airships under construction, only the first few airships were stolen and modified, the rest were built via reverse-engineering); in another interview, it was stated that the Pact are currently out of the picture because they’re recovering from the fight with Zhaitan – they’ve lost a lot of soldiers and a lot of resources in the invasion of Orr and are currently rebuilding off-screen (shame they don’t make minor updates to Fort Trinity or better yet, Cear Aval or w/e Trahearne remains).
  • A few of what the Fractals represent have been explained but in-game there’s not been an expansion on them (though one is due before the year ends), and with Secret of Southsun/Last Stand at Southsun – and the following synopsis videos that explained what wasn’t in-game for gods-know-what-sad-reason-why – we did get a bit on the Consortium but not much. The Fractals of the Mists’ nature and why they became available had been known since Lost Shores (though hidden, like the nature of the karka and Southsun Cove itself). I believe that all such information are on the respective wiki articles, though if requested I can go into details.
  • For a basic outline, see the link Eluveitie gave, it’d be best as a basic. There’s details lacking, of course, as it is merely a summary.

Thanks for the link, I’ve browsed through that exact wiki page before but I was hoping to extract from the community some way that this all ties into the overarching plot, assuming it’s still one of the Elder Dragon threat that forced Tyrians to ally with each other.

The Living Story takes the spotlight away from the Elder Dragons for now. We were told that the plotline of Scarlet is meant to be an “intermission” between the Elder Dragons – to give us players something other than “Dragons, Dragons! DRAGONS!!!” to have as enemies.

This came from the same interview that told us the current state of the Pact. A line of “a couple years” was mentioned for how long intermission plotlines are to take between the Elder Dragons’ own plots. Aka we’ll should see the next Elder Dragon in mid/late-2014, and 2015 by the latest. When being optimistic.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

We’ve heard a grand total of nothing from Trahearne.

That’s because he’s doing a mountain of paperwork, as well as boring diplomatic meetings with bureaucrats to ask for more funds, at the moment. All the while, he is cursing the player’s name, and he’s thinking that they should at least be here with him, as his second in command, and not running around on vacation chasing psychotic Sylvari engineers.

in Lore

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

[…]

I wasn’t sure if I would be infracted for making a post mentioning “that company,” but yes – it’s where all the evil originates from.

People should give ANet a break.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

in Lore

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

1) A bunch of random villains allied with each other for an unknown reason.
2) It was Scarlet.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

in Lore

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Weeds, pumpkins and a lizard.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears