Cantha and the next expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Several reasons.

Djinn give a unique view in the story, similar to how the sylvari do compared to the other races, by being elementals. This gives them the ability to give the game a new feel and perspective that other races can’t as easily give.

They are sentient with having culture and history, some of it developed and yet not that much which allows a lot of expanding.

They’re humanoid, which seems to be a requirement for playable races.

And they would easily fit for an Elona expansion’s playable race. Out of all Elonian races, only heket and djinn really work – centaur and undead have too many issues with them both aesthetically and story wise, and then heket woukdnt fit well imo due to the hyleks.

Only real problem for the djinn as I see it would be the race’s age, which isn’t that big of an issue since tengu may be similarly old, their independence and lack of a known or implied united home, though that didn’t stop the norn, and then the armor situation, but who said they can’t wear the armor that other races can? (after all, they can shapeshift – perfect racial skills there).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

There are some details about being a playable race:

1. Racial capital (Djinns fail)
2. Racial territory, with villages, outposts (Djinns fail)
3. Citizens and economy (Djinns fail)
4. The armor sets must fit and has to have a beliveable dodge-animation (Djinns and centaurs fail)
5. Has to be a social race that often interacts with others and are capable of grouping up with others, from the race or with anyone (this is where Largos fails – skirmishers, avoiding any attention and contact)
6. Has to be unique (this is where kodans and dwarves fail, being similar to the norns and sharing the same territory – the dwarves by mentality and penchant for beer, also looking like mini-norns with their huge muscles and hairs, and the kodan, where’s even a theory about being from the same race as the norns, also, they’ve lost their homelands and are mostly refugees in high-level zones)

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

To your list:

1. Says who? If you go just by what we see, then only kodan, tengu, hylek, and skritt qualify – and only if a larger sanctuary is added for the first, if the Dominion of Winds becomes a city and not an explorable zone for the second, and if the third and fourth’s major settlements become separated from their current zones. For every added playable race, a racial capital must be added, because such don’t exist in the game yet for any of them. The djinn can easily be given one in Elona.
  2. Really? Do you know how far the djinn span? Sure, not in the explored areas or that we’re informed of, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Same with capital city. And technically, not really.
  3. So you know that djinn do not have citizens (which they do, given the fact that they have individual people) nor an economy (Zomorros has a one-man economy, who’s to say the djinn, who’re known for being a bit greedy, don’t barter for better things? That’s an economy).
  4. This is the only real questionable situation of what you said, but we don’t see what djinn look like in GW2. They can easily be given a good dodge animation, and they could be made to work with the armors via “redesign.”
  5. Again, thus far. You seem to be too focused on “the current situation” for judging a possible future race – if we go to Elona, where we saw the most djinn in GW1, who’s to say there won’t be constant interaction. Same with largos and going to the Unending Ocean, to face the DSD. Hell, by this very argument the tengu fail drastically, and only the kodan succeed outside hostile and lesser races.
  6. Djinn fit this full on out.
Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

I would say, personally that djinn as a playable race depends on too many unknowns. Almost everything about them becoming playable depends on possibilities not on already founded information. From what we KNOW in game the tengu and largos could work. I mean they have some possibly society standard, they are willing to cooperate with other races (if not fully), and the tengu are even looking to open up once more, whereas we have no information in game showing that there is any societal heirarchy among djinn at all. I cannot say you are wrong Konig, because it is impossible, but much like you’ve stated to many other players, you can’t state you are right either. It’s bridging gaps between unknowns to create a foundation for something that as far as we’ve seen does not exist.

in Lore

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

Several reasons.

Djinn give a unique view in the story, similar to how the sylvari do compared to the other races, by being elementals. This gives them the ability to give the game a new feel and perspective that other races can’t as easily give.

They are sentient with having culture and history, some of it developed and yet not that much which allows a lot of expanding.

They’re humanoid, which seems to be a requirement for playable races.

And they would easily fit for an Elona expansion’s playable race. Out of all Elonian races, only heket and djinn really work – centaur and undead have too many issues with them both aesthetically and story wise, and then heket woukdnt fit well imo due to the hyleks.

Only real problem for the djinn as I see it would be the race’s age, which isn’t that big of an issue since tengu may be similarly old, their independence and lack of a known or implied united home, though that didn’t stop the norn, and then the armor situation, but who said they can’t wear the armor that other races can? (after all, they can shapeshift – perfect racial skills there).

I see some problems with them as playable though.

First of all is Zommoros. He is part of one of the most integral mechanics of the game, the Mystic Forge. Granted he’s a really ancient Djinn (dating to when Karka were last seen), but nothing prevents other Djinns from being as ancient as he is (and it’s possible that his powers aren’t neccesarily given just for his age).

With thousands of playable Djinns walking around, Zommoros doesn’t make too much sense as the power behind the mystic forge.

Djinns also fly (in fact they are never seen walking as far as I can remember, as their legs have pointy ends instead of feet, which is an aditional problem for gearing them with boots), this is a huge problem given several mechanics of the game.

As you said being ancient (and I doubt Tengu live as long as they do given their organic nature vs their elemental nature) is another problem for them as it makes them too “superior” to the playable races to relate to them on their same level. If anything they could be a race guiding the players through Elona with their ancient wisdom.

To be honest I could see some new race based on them somehow. Something like as part of their possible resistance against Joko, and with their numbers decreasing, the Djinns find a way to create a organic race, able to reproduce with Djinn-like powers. Something like that could be more viable, but I don’t see the Djinn we know as playable race.

4. The armor sets must fit and has to have a beliveable dodge-animation (Djinns and centaurs fail)
5. Has to be a social race that often interacts with others and are capable of grouping up with others, from the race or with anyone (this is where Largos fails – skirmishers, avoiding any attention and contact)
6. Has to be unique (this is where kodans and dwarves fail, being similar to the norns and sharing the same territory – the dwarves by mentality and penchant for beer, also looking like mini-norns with their huge muscles and hairs, and the kodan, where’s even a theory about being from the same race as the norns, also, they’ve lost their homelands and are mostly refugees in high-level zones)

While I agree that Djinn are hardly an option, the capital point can fail, zones like the Hidden City of Ahdashim could be perfectly reworked as a Djinn capitol after 250 years. It would be a long shot, but possible.

And I don’t see how Largos fail in that 5th point. They’re shown multiple times helping and grouping with other races. We just haven’t seen to many of them, so it’s normal we haven’t seen large groups of them, but that one doesn’t rule them out at all. We know they have a society, with a form of government and rules that they strictly follow so they are definitely a social race.

in Lore

Posted by: Ludovicus.7980

Ludovicus.7980

The problem regarding the Canthan aesthetics is that the architecture was sloppy and it was kind of demeaning to the Asian culture.

But what if Anet Does something completely out of the box and creates a super advanced Cantha that has been able to fly through the world and trade with other cultures while Tyrians were fighting their dragons?

What if in these 250 years Canthans went from monarchy to communism and then they saw what happened to the dredge and they went to a new age of neon, steam, electricity and magitech? Far more advanced that any Tyrian Asura.

What if they started being xenophobic only to realize that that was a mistake and they embraced the knowledge and cultural value of the other races and they are no more in the middle ages?

The Canthans could be afraid of the dragons and they don’t normally get to Tyria and/or get raided by the etherblades. That would explain why we haven’t heard about them.

The glory of my ancestors shall be restored.

(edited by Ludovicus.7980)

in Lore

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Actually couldn’t The Hidden City of Ahdashim technically be used as a Djinn city?
And I would think the main issue with having Djinn playable would be their inability to wear any of the current clothing. Djinn are semi-transparent/translucent and they have 4 arms… All existing armour would look ridiculous on them >.>

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

First of all is Zommoros. He is part of one of the most integral mechanics of the game, the Mystic Forge. Granted he’s a really ancient Djinn (dating to when Karka were last seen), but nothing prevents other Djinns from being as ancient as he is (and it’s possible that his powers aren’t neccesarily given just for his age).

With thousands of playable Djinns walking around, Zommoros doesn’t make too much sense as the power behind the mystic forge.

I fail to see how this is an issue.

Does humans being playable ruin Logan, Jennah, Kiel, Riel? Does charr being playable ruin Evon, Rytlock, Smodur? Does norn being playable ruin Magnus, Eir, Forgal? Does sylvari being playable ruin Trahearne?

No. So why is Zommoros so different than all the other dozens of important NPCs? Because he runs the mystic forge?

By that argument, being able to play humans ruins Miyani’s importance and specialty. The fact that it doesn’t means that Zommoros’ uniqueness won’t be ruined from djinn being playable. He still runs the Mystic Forge, unlike any other djinn. If PC djinn ruin Zommoros, then any large addition of djinn NPCs would ruin him.

Djinns also fly (in fact they are never seen walking as far as I can remember, as their legs have pointy ends instead of feet, which is an aditional problem for gearing them with boots), this is a huge problem given several mechanics of the game.

This is the biggest issue, imo, as it leads to the armor situation as well. But really, it’s the only issue there truly is. And a lot of races have gotten redesigns from minor to major. Giving djinn the ability to have legs when they’re shapeshifters would hardly be a major one.

As you said being ancient (and I doubt Tengu live as long as they do given their organic nature vs their elemental nature) is another problem for them as it makes them too “superior” to the playable races to relate to them on their same level. If anything they could be a race guiding the players through Elona with their ancient wisdom.

You utterly and fully misunderstood me. I meant that the race is ancient, not the individuals. The tengu seem to have knowledge on the Elder Dragons the other races do not, indicating that they may be survivors – as a race – from the last ED rise. Same goes for djinn.

Technically speaking, while it’s possible that Zomorros was around when the karka were last on the surface, if you look at what he says, he technically never says having seen the karka before. Merely that “they are familiar” to him. For all we know, he only knows them via second-hand knowledge.

And what would age have to do with things? The sylvari PCs are newborn, and norn and asura can live into their 100s, norn longer than all other playable races. Sylvari natural lifespan is unknown and could easily surpass the others. Why would the djinn be so special because their oldest member could be hundreds or thousands years old? The PCs per the storyline don’t have to be at all.

And I would think the main issue with having Djinn playable would be their inability to wear any of the current clothing. Djinn are semi-transparent/translucent and they have 4 arms… All existing armour would look ridiculous on them >.>

Not all of them have four arms. The fire-based djinn don’t, and that’s just going off of GW1 models.

There aren’t any GW2 models yet, the best we have is an artistic rendering of Zomorros’ face. Which doesn’t show translucency either.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

There aren’t any GW2 models yet, the best we have is an artistic rendering of Zomorros’ face. Which doesn’t show translucency either.

While i see a lot of focus on the djinn being a playable race, what if there was a sort of merging of races between humans and djinn. Not inter-species reproduction, but djinn infusing their powers into select humans, and those djinn-infused humans could reproduce with each other but now lack the ability to reproduce with regular humans.

With my bare minimum knowledge of djinn (since all i know really is that they can grant wishes) i have no idea how viable that would be as a race. The idea was to avoid the flying and multiple arms issues, but then the race itself doesn’t become so unique (genasi from dungeons and dragons).

or is it at all possible that the djinn could force a physical change on their race as a whole to better escape palowa jokos reign/wrath?

in Lore

Lokheit.7943

@Konig Ok I misunderstood the ancient part.

But you misunderstood my point on the Zommoros part. I don’t think Zommoros is comparable to any of the characters you said. Those characters are heroes, they can do things players can do, and some of them can do something extra and have their lore and all, but arguably they’re on the same league than playable characters.

Zommoros is not a regular merchant with lots of resources. Evon Gnashblade is a merchant with lots of resources, but as an individual he would be on the same power league than any playable character.

Zommoros runs the mystic forge. That it’s a forge (a mystic one) means that Zommoros creates all those exotics and legendary items. There is nothing that points to Zommoros being more powerful than any other Djinn, yet he has the power to create the most unique and powerful items in the whole game, basically because he is a Djinn.

If suddenly you make being a Djinn the most common thing in the world (by allowing every player the ability to create one), it doesn’t make sense that Zommoros can create legendary weapons and infuse equipment but playable Djinn can’t. If Zommoros has that power level being a Djinn, other Djinn should have comparable power which would put them many leagues above the playable human races.

As I said, what I could see is a race derivated from them, maybe created by them, being playable with abilities reminiscent of Djinns. But Djinns perse are a long shot due to the reach of their powers given how Zommoros can create the most powerful items in the world or the ability to fly among other things.

(edited by Lokheit.7943)

in Lore

FlamingFoxx.1305

@Konig Ok I misunderstood the ancient part.

But you misunderstood my point on the Zommoros part. I don’t think Zommoros is comparable to any of the characters you said. Those characters are heroes, they can do things players can do, and some of them can do something extra and have their lore and all, but arguably they’re on the same league than playable characters.

Zommoros is not a regular merchant with lots of resources. Evon Gnashblade is a merchant with lots of resources, but as an individual he would be on the same power league than any playable character.

Zommoros runs the mystic forge. That it’s a forge (a mystic one) means that Zommoros creates all those exotics and legendary items. There is nothing that points to Zommoros being more powerful than any other Djinn, yet he has the power to create the most unique and powerful items in the whole game, basically because he is a Djinn.

If suddenly you make being a Djinn the most common thing in the world (by allowing every player the ability to create one), it doesn’t make sense that Zommoros can create legendary weapons and infuse equipment but playable Djinn can’t. If Zommoros has that power level being a Djinn, other Djinn should have comparable power which would put them leagues above the playable human races.

As I said, what I could see is a race derivated from them, maybe created by them, being playable with abilities reminiscent of Djinns. But Djinns perse are a long shot due to the rach of their powers given how Zommoros can create the most powerful items in the world or the ability to fly among other things.

There was some interesting dialogue, it might have been from the Lot Shores, but I feel like it revealed some of the stuff behind what Zommorros does/how. But for all we know he simply has access to a gigantic magical Djinn cache of items. It’s also possible that it is his being fused with the forge that allows him to do that..

Queen Jenna is a queen, she has power of an ENTIRE CITY. Obviously that makes humans too powerful to play, because she is indicative of all humans, they must all have their own cities to rule over!

in Lore

Lokheit.7943

Queen Jenna is a queen, she has power of an ENTIRE CITY. Obviously that makes humans too powerful to play, because she is indicative of all humans, they must all have their own cities to rule over!

Role power and racial power are very different things. While the queen has some impressive mesmer powers, she hardly will strike you with the physical strength and the combined magic of her kingdom (she rules more than Divinity’s Reach btw, she is the human queen of Kryta which extends to other places and even humans in Ascalon follow her lead).

And I’m sure if she orders something weird to every human, more than one won’t answer the call (not to mention that she is still the queen of the lands where bandits live and they oppose her). She has the government, not the equivalent power of all them concentrated on herself.

To put an example, Game of Thrones King Joffrey “rules” the Seven Kingdoms, yet I’m sure he would lose in a fight to every single character in the books.

Zommoros on the other hand seems to be the power source behind the game mechanic that creates the most powerful items in the game. As an individual that puts him in a very high league considering we all depend on him to get the best items in the game. And nothing states that he’s more powerful than any other Djinn.

I can’t find the dialogue about the mystic Djinn cache that Zommoros can access, searching on the wiki for anything containing either Zommoros or Mystic Forge and I can’t find it :S. If that would be true, the term “forge” wouldn’t make much sense.

(edited by Lokheit.7943)

in Lore

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

People! Look at your MAP in-game. There are like insane amount of areas that are still blurred off. I doubt they will jump to another continent before going to Cantha!

in Lore

FlamingFoxx.1305

People! Look at your MAP in-game. There are like insane amount of areas that are still blurred off. I doubt they will jump to another continent before going to Cantha!

Did you play GW1… Before Factions, Nightfall and EoTN there were a ton of areas left covered on the map, none of which were ever opened up. Instead we got Cantha, then Elona and then EoTN finally opened up some of the covered areas as well as newer parts of the map.
http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/a/a2/Tyria_clean_map.jpg

There is nothing stopping them form leaving lots of areas covered, they will only open them up if they have story to go there/a reason to go there. I definitely think that some new map areas will be opened up before an expansion, but not a lot.

in Lore

Posted by: Sieg.8439

Sieg.8439

Well this topic was supposed to be a fun way of sharing ideas.

Every time someone in here has attempted to counter point or even discuss any of your ideas, you have become irrationally defensive and downright rude. Nothing about the atmosphere you presented was fun nor inspired openness and sharing. If this thread did not live up to those expectations you’ve listed, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Trying to think of a word to describe MakeitNeil.4561.
Can’t.

I can think of several… But I won’t go there. xP

In any case, I fully expect to see Cantha content at some point, whether through an expansion or through updates and patches over time.
As mentioned previously, I seriously doubt any sort of Kurzik-Luxon warfare going on, as they were both dissolved and absorbed into the Empire. It just wouldn’t make sense, and if they had resurfaced I’m sure there would be word of it somewhere in the game. Maybe they’ll have it resurface just as the expansion/whathaveyou comes out, but I honestly feel like they’d just be rehashing an old idea. And open world PVP based on faction warfare is something I just don’t see ANet doing… Too many people dislike open world PVP, and we already have essentially that in WvW. I don’t think it would be well received.

I would like to see Ritualist or some sort of unarmed martial artist profession come about. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Hoopa doopa.

in Lore

FlamingFoxx.1305

I can think of several… But I won’t go there. xP

In any case, I fully expect to see Cantha content at some point, whether through an expansion or through updates and patches over time.
As mentioned previously, I seriously doubt any sort of Kurzik-Luxon warfare going on, as they were both dissolved and absorbed into the Empire. It just wouldn’t make sense, and if they had resurfaced I’m sure there would be word of it somewhere in the game. Maybe they’ll have it resurface just as the expansion/whathaveyou comes out, but I honestly feel like they’d just be rehashing an old idea. And open world PVP based on faction warfare is something I just don’t see ANet doing… Too many people dislike open world PVP, and we already have essentially that in WvW. I don’t think it would be well received.

I would like to see Ritualist or some sort of unarmed martial artist profession come about. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

They definitely won’t ever implement open world PvP. They THANKFULLY see WvW as a really good format for people who want large scale tactical PvP, too many people loose out in open world PvP, I know some people enjoy it but it just creates too many opportunities for people to be kittenkittens, they definitely won’t do it. I want the ritualist back, I think if they combined elements of the ritualist with a mix of samurai and martial arts it could be really interesting.

I think if they were going to bring up back to Cantha, and I’m sure they will, it would be as an expansion release. Doing it in smaller releases would stunt the content and I can’t think of decent lore based reasons for us to not be able to explore specific areas of a continent that isn’t too large (based on what we saw in GW1, ignoring the fact that the large texture from the .dat shows Cantha extended downwards where the mountain ranges that we could see in GW1 where shown (excite)).

in Lore

Gandarel.5091

Don’t be naive, we won’t unlucky a new continent for free with monthly updates :P Later, after we purchased the expansion, maybe some zones will be added by time.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Lore

Posted by: ithinkimhaunted.7412

ithinkimhaunted.7412

I’m a bit surprised that no one has mentioned this already so I’ll go a head and bring it up.

I find it unlikely that the first GW2 expansion will involve Cantha. This is because the game’s main storyline is focused primarily on defeating Zhaitan and it paints the picture that the remaining Elder Dragons are a huge threat to Tyria.

That said, only three of the remaining EDs currently have what I will call an active influence on the game. Jormag’s, Kralkatorrik’s, and Primordus’ minions all show up in certain areas of the game. The other two remaining EDs, the “Deep Sea Dragon” and the “Jungle Dragon”, have, to the best of my knowledge, no confirmed minions in the game at this time (the connection between the Jungle Dragon and “Blighted” mobs is still just speculation despite how likely it is). Meaning that these two dragons currently present less threat to Tyria than Jormag, Kralkatorrik, and Primordus do.

Out of any of the Elder Dragons we know, or speculate, about, the DSD is the only one I find likely (or possible eg. Jormag/Kralkatorrik, who have known locations) to be relatable to Cantha. That said, it would be absurd for the first expansion to pursue an Elder Dragon all the way in Cantha, when Jormag and Kralkatorrik present an obvious, imminent threat to the people of Tyria.

Jormag and Kralkatorrik are practically on the doorstep of zones that are currently in the game. It makes no sense to me that the next sequence in the story line would not involve one or both of those Elder Dragons.

Addendum: I also find it very unlikely that the Elder Dragons will be defeated as part of the monthly content updates. The story content in these updates has been, for the most part, temporary and I doubt Anet plans to make any of the fights against the Elder Dragons temporary. Thus relegating the Elder Dragons to permanent, expansion content.

in Lore

Gandarel.5091

The thing is, all the EDs are on Tyria (except for the DSD). The land is just not enough for 3-4 expansions.

With Primordus, I think we will have the Tengu (because destroyers start to show up in both sides of their wall), with Primordus we will also get the Deldrimor Front I think, and probably an underground level, so that’s fine.

With Jormag, we can have the Far Shiverpeaks, and the Blood Legion homelands, but that’s relatively small with no new race or profession (I doubt that the kodan is a choice), so it is possible that we will hit on him together with Primordus, because both are in the Shiverpeaks, one underground one on the ground.

Mordremoth is the same, the Maguuma is pretty huge, if we unlock it along with the Janthir Bay and Isles of Janthir, it can make a whole expasion, but I think this will be packed with another dragon, maybe Primordus.

Kralkatorrik. I think the Crystal Desert will be packed with Elona, so after we defeat Kralky, we will storm Elona. Maybe as the Pact troops arrive at the Dragon’s nest, we will be shocked to see that Palawa already has a weapon against the Dragons, and managed to defeat one. So we may try to get his weapon. Idk, just brainstorming.

DSD, maybe he will try to invade the shores of Tyria, and we will get a message from Cantha, telling that they are willing to take on the DSD as an ally, because the case there is worse.

Dragons and continents can happen at any order, we aren’t tied to Dragons, GW1 had enough dangers without them, nothing prevents other events to happen that are more urguing.

(I wrote some dragons in multiple possible expansions, that’s because I think any of these could happen)

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

(edited by Gandarel.5091)

in Lore

ithinkimhaunted.7412

-snip-

Agreed. I believe that most of what you said (or things similar to them) are likely to happen. However, it seems I rambled a bit in my post, making my main point a bit clouded.

The point that I was trying to get across is that based on the current state of the game, Jormag and Kralkatorrik (more the former than the latter) pose a more imminent threat to Tyria than any of the other EDs. The story involving those two dragons is at this point more likely to come before anything involving a Cantha expansion (in reference to the topic of this thread).

Take Jormag for instance. First, the Pact is currently taking action against the minions of Jormag as seen in Frostgorge Sound with the Claw of Jormag meta event.

Second, Jormag’s influence can be seen in many of the Norn zones of the game by the presence of the Sons of Svanir and/or Icebrood. If you take a look at the map, you can see that Jormag’s influence spreads down through Frostgorge Sound, branches out in to Snowden Drifts and Wayfarer Foothills, and finally down into Dredgehaunt Cliffs. Hoelbrak is almost surrounded by the servants and minions of Jormag and its only a matter of time before he sends an army of SoS and Icebrood crashing through Hoelbrak.

Third, Snowden Drifts and Dredgehaunt Cliffs are neighboring zones to Lornar’s Pass. If Jormag’s influence were to spread into this zone, it would threaten the Durmand Priory’s headquarters there. Also, note the proximity of this zone to Lion’s Arch.

Anet has pretty much already laid out the path of Jormag’s move into central Tyria. From the story writers’ point of view, they’re going to have a hard time explaining why a military force like the Pact would need to ignore all of this and go to Cantha instead (which is pretty much irrelevant to the story so far).

I’m of the mind that Anet will use most (if not all) of the Elder Dragons as the basis for future expansions. Should that prove to be true, there is just too much set up for Jormag not to be the next in line.

Also, in reference to your point about GW having plenty of dangers for a story line without the Elder Dragons. I agree that anything is possible but it just begs the question, what is more dangerous than 5 immensely powerful dragons that threaten to consume the entire world? They’ve been asleep for millennia, they’re hungry, and they’re not going anywhere until there’s nothing left to destroy. Why would Anet create so much set up and then not use it?

(edited by ithinkimhaunted.7412)

in Lore

Gandarel.5091

Yeah I know and agree too :P

But thinking of it, we aren’t tied to the pact, and personally I would be grateful to escape them. I joined the Order of Whispers and not them.

As we get mails from the Living story npcs, maybe one day we will get a mail that calls us to cantha while the pact fights the dragons.

Ofc, Cantha will not be a living story thing, but we could have marched on the other dragons after Zhaitan, still we are killing sky pirates atm, which leaves a chance that we can go to Cantha without the Pact.

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

(edited by Gandarel.5091)

in Lore

Ludovicus.7980

And what if the Canthan republic of the people doesn’t care about the dragons and they have their own problems?

in Lore

ithinkimhaunted.7412

But thinking of it, we aren’t tied to the pact, and personally I would be grateful to escape them. I joined the Order of Whispers and not them.

Also agreed. Our story is not necessarily tied to the Pact, but rather the Pact is tied to Tyria’s story. In that case, it definitely seems as though the Pact will play some part in Tyria’s story in the near future.

But I think we both agree that it would be nice to have the story branch away from the Pact at some point. I’d hate to see GW2 be “Pact kills dragon 1, Pact kills dragon 2, Pact kills dragon 3, etc….” That would be horribly bland and unimaginative.

in Lore

Ludovicus.7980

Also agreed. Our story is not necessarily tied to the Pact, but rather the Pact is tied to Tyria’s story. In that case, it definitely seems as though the Pact will play some part in Tyria’s story in the near future.

But I think we both agree that it would be nice to have the story branch away from the Pact at some point. I’d hate to see GW2 be “Pact kills dragon 1, Pact kills dragon 2, Pact kills dragon 3, etc….” That would be horribly bland and unimaginative.

Yes. It’d be nice to hear the kill some dragon in our absence just by brute force an military power.
They could kill kralkatorrik on their own and later we could go the tomb of the primaeval kings.

in Lore

ithinkimhaunted.7412

And what if the Canthan republic of the people doesn’t care about the dragons and they have their own problems?

That is precisely my point. The people of Tyria have their own problems (the Elder Dragons). Why would they choose to help with problems in Cantha?

Does it not seem illogical to ignore your own dire problems to help some one else with theirs?

in Lore

Ludovicus.7980

That is precisely my point. The people of Tyria have their own problems (the Elder Dragons). Why would they choose to help with problems in Cantha?

Does it not seem illogical to ignore your own dire problems to help some one else with theirs?

Unless you can both take benefit of the coordinated effort.

in Lore

Gandarel.5091

Common enemy: DSD.

Or if Cantha would offer alliance to Kryta, and Kryta would send an-iterracial delegation to rather represent Tyria than just a nation, and we would have to see that Cantha needs that alliance more than we do.

There are endless ways how to write it in.

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Lore

Posted by: Gregorius.1024

Gregorius.1024

To #1 and 2: The Hidden City of Ahdashim could easily be converted to the Djinn’s racial city. Their outlying territories can all be underground as well or the territory just outside the city (Mirror of Lyss).

To #3: Hidden City of Ahdashim has a TON of gold. They have a golden mountain and grind diamonds, rubies, and sapphires into their food. They are probably the wealthiest race in terms of how much stored gold and precious gem caches hidden around Elona.

I… I really want to be a Djinn now.

in Lore

Gregorius.1024

While i see a lot of focus on the djinn being a playable race, what if there was a sort of merging of races between humans and djinn. Not inter-species reproduction, but djinn infusing their powers into select humans, and those djinn-infused humans could reproduce with each other but now lack the ability to reproduce with regular humans.

With my bare minimum knowledge of djinn (since all i know really is that they can grant wishes) i have no idea how viable that would be as a race. The idea was to avoid the flying and multiple arms issues, but then the race itself doesn’t become so unique (genasi from dungeons and dragons).

or is it at all possible that the djinn could force a physical change on their race as a whole to better escape palowa jokos reign/wrath?

I can dig this. The Djinn that guard treasures might seek a way to reproduce. They shapeshift into human and copulate with humans to make hybrids. Or the Vabbian princes made a pact with the Djinn. In many instances, the Djinn come to the aid of the Elonians so I can see a hybrid race being something of a possibility

in Lore

Gregorius.1024

I would like the Pact to fail. Defeating Zhaitan with sheer military force is a Vigil method not the Priory or the OoW. I think every dragon being defeated the same way would be incredibly lame.

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

I can dig this. The Djinn that guard treasures might seek a way to reproduce. They shapeshift into human and copulate with humans to make hybrids. Or the Vabbian princes made a pact with the Djinn. In many instances, the Djinn come to the aid of the Elonians so I can see a hybrid race being something of a possibility

The developers have already said there will be no interbreeding between two different races. Even if they could, Djinn are still elementals. They may be able to make themselves look like humans, but they will never actually be humans biologically. In the end of the day, their insides will still be made of either fire, earth, water, or wind.

Though depending on what actions of Joko in Elona, and the Elder Dragons at large, there might be an increase in the djinn population. They are suppose to be “protectors of the natural world” according to legend. If there was a big enough shift in the natural balance of things, the djinn might want to increase their numbers, or maybe awaken dormant ones, to help combat the threat.

I wish we had Zommoros opinion on whether the Elder Dragons are “natural” though…

in Lore

Gandarel.5091

To #1 and 2: The Hidden City of Ahdashim could easily be converted to the Djinn’s racial city. Their outlying territories can all be underground as well or the territory just outside the city (Mirror of Lyss).

To #3: Hidden City of Ahdashim has a TON of gold. They have a golden mountain and grind diamonds, rubies, and sapphires into their food. They are probably the wealthiest race in terms of how much stored gold and precious gem caches hidden around Elona.

That City is Vabbian, used by the Princes as a shelter when Palawa invaded Elona for the first time.

So that’s a human city, where Djinns are slaves who were binded there by powerful humans to guard the treasure.

By economy i meant trading amongst their people and with other races. Not being slaves guarding gold in a human city…

Vabbi was the first one to be devoured by Joko, why could the Djinns take any territory there.. probably Vabbi is still inhabited by humans, because they surrendered, and weren’t wiped out.

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Lore

FlamingFoxx.1305

That City is Vabbian, used by the Princes as a shelter when Palawa invaded Elona for the first time.

So that’s a human city, where Djinns are slaves who were binded there by powerful humans to guard the treasure.

By economy i meant trading amongst their people and with other races. Not being slaves guarding gold in a human city…

Vabbi was the first one to be devoured by Joko, why could the Djinns take any territory there.. probably Vabbi is still inhabited by humans, because they surrendered, and weren’t wiped out.

After 250 years a lot could have changed. The royal lines have most likely died out during Palawa Joko’s reign and the Djinn could easily be in sole possession of the city now. (I’m not saying it’s likely, just that we have to remember that the passage of time is a factor in all this)

in Lore

Gandarel.5091

Yes, but giving a race’s architecture and city to be the capital of another one?

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Lore

Erukk.1408

To be fair, the Sylvari didn’t start with territories, villages, outposts, or an economy either. With only 25 years of “race building”, they were able become a playable race.

If the Djinn really wanted too, they are intelligent enough, and have the magical strength, to be able to do the same. The only thing they need is a redesign. Maybe something like their old concept art. Take away the floating, the extra set of arms, and put on some solid legs, and you have a possible playable race, character design wise.

in Lore

Gandarel.5091

Yes, they just have to completely redesign them. Sounds like something that will happen for sure…

Srsly.. stop reasoning for non-sense brainfarts all the time guys. No offense.

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Lore

Erukk.1408

Redesign? Maybe.

Complete redesign? Not really…

Them floating isn’t at all important to their race’s lore. The only djinn we see with two sets of arms are the Sapphire and Key of Ahdashim-like djinn. If they mysteriously lost them, it wouldn’t hurt the concept at all. The only big charge to their design would be the addition of solid legs. And even then, the Ruby and Diamond djinn already have legs. Them becoming solid wouldn’t change much.

Plus, it isn’t like a playable race hasn’t gone through a redesign before in gw. The Sylvari sure have, and if they were connected to the Sidhe from Gw:U; they even underwent a complete redesign…

in Lore

Gandarel.5091

We never met the sylvari race before.

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Lore

Posted by: bokunocarrie.7215

bokunocarrie.7215

You seems to have missed the fact that the Kurzick and Luxon no longer exists, and haven’t done for a century or something like that.

As for new classes several of the classes you are talking about already exists or can’t exist.
Monks and Paragons exists in the Guardian, and Dervish wouldn’t really work since they have such a close connection to the gods.

As for open world PvP, that is extremely unlikely that they would ever add, since that goes against the whole lore of the game.

I do agree with the Luxon and Kurzick statement. I didn’t consider that Guild Wars 2 is in the future. But I don’t agree with the other two statements. First, the Monk and the Pargon are nothing like the guardian. Monks smite their foes and use retribution and such. The type of Monk I was referring to, however, is a more Eastern Monk that uses a Pole in combat. Pargons use shouts to support their team and they attack with a spear and shield. They don’t really heal much at all. Now how are they remotely close to a guardian who uses heavy armor and acts more like a protective knight. Your argument about the Dervish is definitely invalid. And could you explain how the world PvP, IN CANTHA, goes against the “Lore” exactly? I would like to hear more about that. I have another question. Have you played Guild Wars 1 at all?

Uh

Guardians use shouts. “Stand Your Ground”, “Save Yourselves”, “Retreat!”, and “Hold The Line”. All four of those are guardian shouts. As for relation to the monks, they have a holy/healing aspect of fighting and attacks which is the base for the Guardian. You’re right in saying that they’re not the same but they took the things from Paragons and Monks to form the Guardian. Aside from that, the reason they made the Guardian and the skills in all of the classes was so that they would eliminate the need for a healing class. With each class being able to support itself and others in ways unique to their class, there’s no need for a Monk or Paragon anymore.

blackgate #FHDFriday