Cantha in future expansions?

in Lore

Posted by: Guild Warrior.9540

Guild Warrior.9540

Who else would like to see Cantha return in a future GW2 expansion?I certainly would and I hope that they have become just as technologically advanced as the charr or perhaps even more.Like on the equivalent of World War 2 tech with planes,tanks,and even nuclear bombs.It would certainly be a boost to the human race and elevate them from a rag tag single kindom of survivors into a super power again.

in Lore

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

Definitely, Factions was my favorite GW expac.

in Lore

Posted by: exelion.2369

exelion.2369

Who else would like to see Cantha return in a future GW2 expansion?I certainly would and I hope that they have become just as technologically advanced as the charr or perhaps even more.Like on the equivalent of World War 2 tech with planes,tanks,and even nuclear bombs.It would certainly be a boost to the human race and elevate them from a rag tag single kindom of survivors into a super power again.

I guaranty we will see them in some future expansion. I doubt that they will progress that much simply because the lack of need and Cantha was never really focused on industry and the attitudes towards nature that the Kurzicks and Luxons have I doubt they would go through the process of environmental damage that would be required for such industrialization. Also with the magic that humans are capable of they don’t really have a need for tanks. Why spend money and natural resources on tanks when you can have fewer elementalists who can do that same thing.

Don’t mess with Ascalon!

in Lore

Guild Warrior.9540

Still the idea of a world war in Tyria(industrialized cantha vs charr) as as a plot orchestrated by the Elder Dragons would be pretty interesting dont you think?

I figured since cantha was based on china cantha would have invented their own guns and weapons much like Medieval China did with gun powder. Unlike the Charr and Dredge who reverse engineered Dwarven technology.

in Lore

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

I think theres a good chance we will go to Cantha. I dont expect it to be that advanced though. Its been isolationist for along time and that doesnt exactly encourage the sharing and development of ideas.

Im sure there will be some engineering prowess. Both the Kurzicks and the Luxons had some skilled engineers. The empire would have wanted that I suspect when it took down the Kurzicks and the Luxons.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I rather hated Factions, personally. And for returning to Cantha, I couldn’t care less for the time being. Tyria has a lot of problems left unsolved, and I’d much rather go to new lands than to some xenophobic continent where 4/5ths of the playerbase (under the presumption that there’s an equal amount of all races which, yes, I know that’s not the case) would be immediately hated by all lore on Cantha that we have.

@Guild Warrior: Saying Cantha was based on China is like saying standard fantasy is based on Greece. There’s some Chinese elements, but overall it has a large mixture of cultural influences – Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese too I think (possibly others), as well as Germanic and Gothic (in Kurzicks) and Greco (in Luxons).

@Lutinz: Isolation leads to merchantilism which can literally go either way. When Spain went through merchantilism, it eventually fell economically; however, when it was enforced on England by Napoleon later on, we had the birth of the Industrial Revolution (well, the very beginnings of it). In both cases, the result was caused by using up needed resources that were limited – one group failed to find alternatives, the other didn’t.

So Cantha going Isolationist can go either way for its economical and technological development. The main question is: How much resources do they have, and can they discover an alternative when those resources they rely on runs out?

Given how big Kaineng City has grown to be – engulfing other cities by all appearances and becoming an effective 1/4th of the empire – unless they held some population purgings (be it through execution, exile, or so forth) or held massive rationings for an extended periods of time (which would lead to revolutions), they’d eventually run low on enough food and timber. This was actually a past problem for Cantha BEFORE the Jade Wind – and in turn, the massive expansion of Kaineng City. In 221 AE, Cantha opened trade with the northern continents and Shing Jea was no longer heavily logged – this gave way for making the islands to be farmland, since the timber needed was imported. Without that import, Cantha will again need to do some massive logging so long as they rely on wood. And unless they go about cutting down a de-petrified Echovald Forest, there’s not much in the way of woods to log. in Cantha anymore.

So unless they stop needing as much wood and food as they have for centuries (the main initiators behind the Tengu Wars was, in fact, the Canthan’s expansion of farmland into tengu territory – which brought disease much like when the Spaniards visited Mesoamerica), I’m seeing Cantha going into an economical depression and famine. This would in turn lead the already xenophobic and near fascist government to further ostracize its people – no more are they going after criminals alone, they’re going after the poor and others they can get rid of (not the working class, of course – can’t have your nobles brought down! But rival nobles? Fair game). All that’s needed is to pin some false charges. With an army at your back, no one would question. Not for some time.

In the end, I’m predicting that Cantha will appear to be a dystopic empire. I could even see some Hunger Games references going about in it – an excellent means of keeping resource exput to a minimum.

On the other hand, they could seek invading other lands. For all we know, Cantha and Elona could be at war (one requiring resources like food and timber, the other needing resources like fresh “recruits” to Joko’s army) – with the DSD sitting right in the middle of it.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Guild Warrior.9540

I cant remember as I havnt played GW1 in years but couldnt Cantha use coal or even oil as an alternative to wood for fuel?

For Elona I expect it to have evolved into an Arabian style culture.Especially if they keep it with being Egyptian themed.

in Lore

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

The prospect of exploring that (absurdly large) tinderbox of a city now that we’ve got an extra axis to play with intrigues me. Though the Jade Sea not being jade is a total bummer.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

@Guild Warrior: Depends on if they have the coal to burn, probably. Though they’d also need to have the right direction of technology to learn that they can use it (I don’t think coal is used for anything but keeping fires going in GW1 – and that’s in Ascalon! – or as snowmen eyes).

@darkace: I’m hoping that, should we ever return to Cantha, the Jade Sea and Echovald Forest will only be partially un-petrified. I’d love to see a comparison of wood and stone Kurzick structures/ruins, and little floating islands of jade (hell, they already made textures for the solid jade, why wouldn’t they use it?).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

Konig Des Todes, you made an amazing analysis. i was very intrigued. thanks!

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

in Lore

Posted by: Legion.4198

Legion.4198

The Song Chinese Dynasty (960–1279) almost achieved the Industrial Revolution. The main reason why they didn’t is because Coal in China was not as accessible as in Britain (really the main reason why Europe industrialized first was cheaper coal). The forges of the Song Dynasty produced more steel than the British Empire during the entire 19th century. The Song were also the first to introduce paper money.

While it would be a mistake to Characterize Cantha as yet another Steam punk Society, they could follow another technological path. Humans seem to be more consumer-based than the Charr and thus it is likely that Humans would follow the real life version of industrialization. More centered around consumer products and less focused in military ones. The city is perfect for a Dickensian tales under a regime following the Legalist Philosophy.

Since China is know for her contribution with the compass and magnetism, they might develop technologies related to electricity (both phenomenons are related). Tesla Turrets could be one of the new skills for the Engineer. Artificial lighting was know since the early 19th century, in the form of the arch lamp, but there was no power source capable of generating enough energy at constant rate. However, in a world like Tyria there might be a material with a stronger natural magnetism, as evidenced by the Engineer’s Shield, than anything the Real World; thus be able to generate electricity with a much less sophisticated generator. Electricity might be also invented by Elona following the Frankenstein’s tropes related to the undead but I believe that of the two, Elona will be more magic-centered.

in Lore

exelion.2369

Still the idea of a world war in Tyria(industrialized cantha vs charr) as as a plot orchestrated by the Elder Dragons would be pretty interesting dont you think?

I figured since cantha was based on china cantha would have invented their own guns and weapons much like Medieval China did with gun powder. Unlike the Charr and Dredge who reverse engineered Dwarven technology.

Problem one with the Charr waging war on Cantha is that they have no navy and no direct access to the sea. To do so they would have to either go south towards Ebonhawke (which has resisted any and all bombardment from the charr) and through the Crystal desert which is controlled by and ED or go across the Shiverpeaks which would turn into a long a costly war against the Norn and then deal with the humans.

Charr didn’t reverse engineer dwarven tech. They didn’t really industrialize until long after the dwarves went through the transformation. The Dwarves never really had grand engineering feats, they were just really great smiths. The Charr built all they have accomplished on their own. And it seems the dradge have mainly made their own tech but merely taking over old dwarven ruins.

Don’t mess with Ascalon!

in Lore

Posted by: Gregorius.1024

Gregorius.1024

Returning to Cantha (and Elona) is a given, but WWII tech would be so dumb. I’m all for the tech we have now, and I argued why the tech we have in GW2 makes sense, but really? A nuke?

I think Cantha would be a little worse off than Tyria, technologically speaking. All these airships and tanks are through a combination of human, asura and charr innovations. Judging by how terribad the bureaucracy of the Four Ministries along with the overzealousness of the Ministry of Purity, I don’t think Cantha gets a whole lot done. Maybe they found a way to reverse-engineer Asuran portal-tech and have engineers of their own, but that’s it.

in Lore

exelion.2369

Maybe they found a way to reverse-engineer Asuran portal-tech and have engineers of their own, but that’s it.

There was only one portal in Cantha and no one in the government really seemed to pay it any mind. Also Considering that the source of power for all the old portals is gone and we do not know the current system I doubt they would be able to do it. And considering how much redtape their government has it would take so many years just to decide who even gets to be on the committee that would put together a plan.

Don’t mess with Ascalon!

in Lore

Gregorius.1024

I agree, like I said, I don’t think Cantha will accomplish a whole lot, technologically.

Also the Charr reverse engineered gunpowder from the dwarves. Dwarves first came up with mines and explosives.

in Lore

exelion.2369

I agree, like I said, I don’t think Cantha will accomplish a whole lot, technologically.

Also the Charr reverse engineered gunpowder from the dwarves. Dwarves first came up with mines and explosives.

While they may have gotten gunpowder from the Dwarves they far surpassed anything the Dwarves had when it comes to weaponry.

Don’t mess with Ascalon!

in Lore

Posted by: Legion.4198

Legion.4198

@Gregorius.1024

I disagree. Technology being developed outside of Tyria is imperative. This is not an issue of what Cantha or Elona realistically could do. No society could ever make a city out of science fiction as massive as Kaineng without an army of robots. People will want to see a Canthan Rifle, people will want to use Elonian Skills for the Engineer. With the introduction of the Asura system of travel and technological-minded professions like the Engineer there must be technology advances. It would go againts the idea of avoiding an stagnant world. This doesn’t mean they should follow the same steampunk path.

Also if Cantha or Elona are going to be the enemy, then either they will be on the same level as the Pact or the Pact will be dissolved/neutralized before we meet new foes. The advances of the Pact cause a serious problem of escalation and honestly I’d rather have the nations of Tyria take the initiative this time instead of the Pact (which I’ve never liked it).

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Okay, I think we all know what we want Cantha to look like in Guild Wars 2.

This.

Okay, no seriously, I think this is a lot more accurate.

Konig Des Todes, you made an amazing analysis. i was very intrigued. thanks!

Really? I literally just let my brain carry away there on a wild stream of thoughts fueled by memories of an old debate from senior year high school history class where me and my group had to argue why merchantalism was bad…

Humans would follow the real life version of industrialization. More centered around consumer products and less focused in military ones.

When I read this, I got the sudden mental image of “Shing Jea Missle Crisis! Elona puts missiles on Canthan borders!”

Also if Cantha or Elona are going to be the enemy, then either they will be on the same level as the Pact or the Pact will be dissolved/neutralized before we meet new foes. The advances of the Pact cause a serious problem of escalation and honestly I’d rather have the nations of Tyria take the initiative this time instead of the Pact (which I’ve never liked it).

The Pact has 1 goal and 1 goal only: Elimination of the Elder Dragons.

This is why they didn’t lift a finger when the karka showed. They weren’t dragon minions.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

darkace.8925

No society could ever make a city out of science fiction as massive as Kaineng without an army of robots.

And even if they could, wooden structures that tall would collapse all the time and one house fire would destroy just about the entirety of Kaineng.

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Charr didn’t reverse engineer dwarven tech. They didn’t really industrialize until long after the dwarves went through the transformation. The Dwarves never really had grand engineering feats, they were just really great smiths. The Charr built all they have accomplished on their own. And it seems the dradge have mainly made their own tech but merely taking over old dwarven ruins.

The dwarves build much more than just explosives. The Iron Forgeman is a dwarven invention. Those unfinished replicas hanging in Oola’s lab are actually copies, not prototypes as it was long believed. So the dwarves had golem technology comparable to the Asura, which the Charr don’t have.
Overall Sorrow’s Furnace and all the other dwarven mines, look like highly industrial places, much like the bigger Charr settlements.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

in Lore

Posted by: Arcalas.9368

Arcalas.9368

I dont think anet is planning to visit Cantha in gw2 but they might hint at some lore on it later on.

Norn “cows” go moot.

in Lore

Posted by: Cyan.6904

Cyan.6904

As Cantha was my favorite continent, I’d like to go there again. I don’t really know what to suspect of the lands. I guess the petrification of the Echovald Forest and the Jade Sea is not yet completely restored. Because of the insulation, the technology might be less advanced compared with Tyria. That also fits the setting and atmosphere of Cantha, in Gw I always saw Cantha as a more mysterious continent.

Cyan Graceland — Elementalist
The Knights Temple [TKT] — Aurora Glade

in Lore

exelion.2369

I dont think anet is planning to visit Cantha in gw2 but they might hint at some lore on it later on.

I can almost guaranty that we will visit Cantha, however it might not be until the 2nd expansion or so.

Don’t mess with Ascalon!

in Lore

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

As a GW1 player, I actually enjoyed the regions of Cantha and Elona much more than Tyria. They had a culture and atmosphere I feel was lacking in Prophecies and Eye of the North.

The African vibes all throughout Elona were amazing! Especially the music! It would not be Elona without its glorious music which had such vastness!

With Tyria, I get typical celtic and midieval vibes. I’m trying not to complain, but it lacked flavor compared to Elona and Cantha.

I really hope we visit Cantha, but especially Elona! I miss Vabbi!

As for Cantha itself, I wonder what the Petrified Forest and Jade Sea looks like now? We had such a tease in the Fractals, I wanna seeee!

(edited by Kain Francois.4328)

in Lore

Guild Warrior.9540

@Gregorius The Asura have big giant freaking lasers and im really surprised they have not made the equivalent of nuclear weapons by now.They have the knowledge of molecules and probably atoms.Though my guess is Asura are more environmentally friendly then we are because they believe that all things are connected.To quote from a Star Trek Deep Space 9 episode “They irradiated their own planet?” But there’s no reason a less environmentally friendly advanced civilization such as Cantha wouldnt create such a device.In fact they would probably infuse it with magic to make a doomsday weapon.

Speaking of Cantha and magic I bet their wood is enchanted to be both strong and light which is why buildings in Kaineng dont collapse.

(edited by Guild Warrior.9540)

in Lore

darkace.8925

They have the knowledge of molecules and probably atoms.Though my guess is Asura are more environmentally friendly then we are because they believe that all things are connected..

I’ll keep that in mind the next time I’m doing the Thaumanova Reactor Fallout meta event in Metrica Province.

in Lore

Posted by: Pzycko.4302

Pzycko.4302

Thing is, all the other human civilizations was destroyed by the elder dragons. If we would ever revisit cantha it would be through for example, an expedition force from tyria.
Hope the dragons preserved the beutifull landscape of cantha tough..!

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I can almost guaranty that we will visit Cantha, however it might not be until the 2nd expansion or so.

While they may not have concrete plans yet, I cannot believe that they would decide to never visit Cantha in GW2. That’s taking a lot of potential content out of the door for future releases.

It just won’t be happening anytime this year or next. First we must kill the deep sea dragon, and have reason to go there, even if it’s just for trade.

I think the second expansion is far too soon. I’d put my bets on 3rd at least. Jormag is likely next, and the deep sea dragon may follow, and only then would we go for Cantha. But Kralkatorrik is more likely to be dealt with first, and can be part of an Elona expansion.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

darkace.8925

I think the second expansion is far too soon. I’d put my bets on 3rd at least. Jormag is likely next, and the deep sea dragon may follow, and only then would we go for Cantha. But Kralkatorrik is more likely to be dealt with first, and can be part of an Elona expansion.

I suspect they’ll let us visit Cantha before they let us visit Elona. Reason being they’ll want to do everything to draw in the Asian market.

in Lore

exelion.2369

I suspect they’ll let us visit Cantha before they let us visit Elona. Reason being they’ll want to do everything to draw in the Asian market.

I actually think we will go to Elona first merely because once we deal with Kral it would give us a perfect opportunity to into Elona and deal Palawa Joko. Then from Istan we could sail to Cantha.

Don’t mess with Ascalon!

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

You do realize that both Cantha and the Divinity’s Reach Canthan district had gotten harsh views on certain aspects of their Asian audience, right?

The former being due to how Kaineng City is mostly formed off of one aspect of an Asian culture, while the Canthan district was a mixture of influences from different Asian cultures. There were complaints the former poorly represented the Asian cultures, and the latter… well, Asian communities get upset when their culture gets mixed/mistaken for another Asian culture by westerners. Though that’s silly in a fantasy setting.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Gregorius.1024

@Guild Warrior, no the asura don’t know about molecules and atoms. They have a crude understanding of them called the Eternal Alchemy, which mainly deals with the magical bonds between objects in the universe rather than physical bonds.

@Legion, yeah I think Cantha and Elona will definitely have guns and engineers. But I don’t think they’ll have airships-level tech. They don’t have the resources nor the diversity of intellectual thinking. Tyria has 3 races capable of higher technology, whereas Cantha kicked out all the humans and the Elonians are fighting the undead. Now that being said, the Order of Whispers has probably just now started leaking technological innovation into Elona since that’s their home country and they know how to get in there.

I doubt Elona will ever be an enemy of Tyria. Right now they’re being crushed by Palawa Joko. Cantha might resist Tyria’s attempts to establish a connection but I’m sure a dragon would change their minds about that.

in Lore

Posted by: Arcalas.9368

Arcalas.9368

I know people would love to go to an updated cantha but its not just cantha thats out on tyria. Anet has other content they wanted to add to gw that they didnt add so they could jump on goin to those areas and not hit so much on cantha and as for elona ya we goin to that place.

How i see this is cantha doesnt have any strong lore connecting to the main story right now like elona does so other than opening trade with cantha again i dont see any reason to go to cantha.

Norn “cows” go moot.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Well, Cantha has strong ties for both human and tengu history.

There’s also the curious case of Kuunavang, who may or may not be related to an Elder Dragon.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Yes, but as you yourself have stated Konig, in the current progression of story Cantha seems way too far off to be a part of the story for quite a while. I agree that if they don’t go north to deal with Jormag first they would most likely go to Kralkatorrik, mainly because if Elona was opened up there is a large body of potential allies once their overlord is defeated, and they are much closer than Cantha (and quite possibly a good location to eventually launch into Cantha.

Now my personality agrees with the other players, honestly. I want Cantha and I want Cantha yesterday, but I do not want ArenaNet to mush up the storyline to make it possible. I would prefer that they do the story right and just get there in due time.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I wasn’t really saying that there’s a chance Cantha will be soon. Rather, I was disagreeing with the notion that there’s no strong lore reasons for establishing contact other than trade.

Also, I don’t think the Pact would need to overthrow Joko to gain allies. They just need to convince Joko to work with them – for now. Having an army of undead and people who grew up knowing they could be turned into undead to fight for his lord once again would be a strong benefit to the army.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

It’s a pitty that some people (I wont use names /cough) always asume that we will fight Joko, instead of being his ally again. That guy is sure as hell opportunistic enough to make a pact with the Pact.
I for one, welcome our new insect undead overlords.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

(edited by BuddhaKeks.4857)

in Lore

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

It’s a pitty that some people (I wont use names /cough) always asume that we will fight Joko, instead of being his ally again. That guy is sure as hell opportunistic enough to make a pact with the Pact.
I for one, welcome our new insect undead overlords.

How about because he has enslaved the entire continent of Elona. I don’t see anybody in the human kingdom taking very kindly to that… >.>

Also I think unfortunately I have to agree with Konig. I don’t see Cantha being all that soon.
Anet are more likely to try and open up our existing map more, moving up north to take down Jormag, thus revealing the Far Shiverpeaks again, and then down south to the Cyrstal Desert for Kralk. Which would suggest that passage down to Elona would be more probable than passage across the sea to Cantha. Quite sad really considering I really love Cantha

(edited by FlamingFoxx.1305)

in Lore

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

I wasn’t really saying that there’s a chance Cantha will be soon. Rather, I was disagreeing with the notion that there’s no strong lore reasons for establishing contact other than trade.

Also, I don’t think the Pact would need to overthrow Joko to gain allies. They just need to convince Joko to work with them – for now. Having an army of undead and people who grew up knowing they could be turned into undead to fight for his lord once again would be a strong benefit to the army.

Id say the biggest issue is it would be a very hard sell to the nations supporting the pact to ally with Pawala Joko, particularly Divinity’s Reach. After all things went pretty badly last time we allied with him. Its highly questionable that we could trust him enough considering that deep in his territory we would be very prone to betrayal.

The other side of it is that in Nightfall he had little choice but to work with us. He was weak and had little hold over his territories. Now he is at the height of his power. Unless hes in serious trouble I expect that even if hes open to working with us, the negociating power would be in his hands.

Also personally Id like him to be an enemy simply cause he always kind of annoyed me. He was funny yeah but I still wanted to set him on fire.:P

in Lore

Guild Warrior.9540

@Gregorius yes they do have an advanced scientific understanding of the universe. I was playing as an asura a couple of months ago(i decided to pause on him for a while and work on my human character) and on a heart mission where you have to talk to skritt you ask one “whats that in front of you” “whats what?” “that is an air molecule” and the skritt faints.

And the Thaumanova Reactor Fallout event as darklace pointed out proves they understand atoms and nuclear reactions.Plus in on one of the later personal story missions if you are a human warrior you fight through an asura’s house who talks about radiation.So im not sure where you are getting they dont understand science from.

You really need to check your facts before posting a comment dissing others who are right.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The Thaumanova Reactor is nothing more than chaos magic going haywire. I don’t see where knowledge of atoms come from this. There’s nothing nuclear about that place.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Yeah, there’s nothing about nuclear power that causes random creatures to be ripped from their space and into the reactor either, lol.

I do think that they have a relatively strong grasp on at least molecules and as is stated radiation. According to skills, asura were able to create radiation fields as early as Eye of the North.

in Lore

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

There are hints that Cantha will be the enemy in GW2. They have a huge population and have a city the size of 1/4 of the continent. They expelled all non-humans and oppositions from Cantha. The whole continent is now united and ruled under the iron fist of the " tyrannical and fierce" Emperor Usoku.

While the humans in Tyria has been weakened into a minor state, the humans in Cantha has never been more united.

Here is my prediction:

With Zhaitan gone, the sea ways are opened again. Cantha will first send spies and assassins to study and weaken Tyria. Then Cantha will send a huge invasion fleet to attack Tyria. They would encourage humans in Tyria to join them, to regain the former glory of the human kingdoms by defeating all other races, enslaving Charrs and Asuras alike. The Tyrians would naturally refuse, and war begins.

There will be huge sea (Turtle Ship+Atakebune vs Man of War) and land battles in Tyria for over a year. Eventually the Tyrians and their non-human allies would stop the invasion, and take the fight into Cantha to free the suppressed. Fighting in Kaineng City would involve a lot of urban fighting.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

(edited by CHIPS.6018)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Usoku is long dead unless he somehow gained the gift of longevity.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Son of Elias.5420

Son of Elias.5420

@Gregorius yes they do have an advanced scientific understanding of the universe. I was playing as an asura a couple of months ago(i decided to pause on him for a while and work on my human character) and on a heart mission where you have to talk to skritt you ask one “whats that in front of you” “whats what?” “that is an air molecule” and the skritt faints.

Keep in mind that in this exact same heart, your character tricks a skritt into thinking that he can read minds, then says “Hah, telepathy isn’t real. You fail.

Whereas we know that telepathy is real – Jennah speaks mind-to-mind with Logan on more than one occasion in the books. So while the Asura may understand some things, they also have a tendency to assume they know everything and forget that they can be wrong.

“A man who trusts everyone is a fool.
And a man who trusts no one is a fool.
We are all fools, if we live long enough.”

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

There are hints that Cantha will be the enemy in GW2. They have a huge population and have a city the size of 1/4 of the continent. They expelled all non-humans and oppositions from Cantha. The whole continent is now united and ruled under the iron fist of the " tyrannical and fierce" Emperor Usoku.

While the humans in Tyria has been weakened into a minor state, the humans in Cantha has never been more united.

Here is my prediction:

With Zhaitan gone, the sea ways are opened again. Cantha will first send spies and assassins to study and weaken Tyria. Then Cantha will send a huge invasion fleet to attack Tyria. They would encourage humans in Tyria to join them, to regain the former glory of the human kingdoms by defeating all other races, enslaving Charrs and Asuras alike. The Tyrians would naturally refuse, and war begins.

There will be huge sea (Turtle Ship+Atakebune vs Man of War) and land battles in Tyria for over a year. Eventually the Tyrians and their non-human allies would stop the invasion, and take the fight into Cantha to free the suppressed. Fighting in Kaineng City would involve a lot of urban fighting.

This is actually very close to my theory too. I also expect that Cantha will be the main enemy faction in the expansion, with their Emperor having decided that it is time to bring all of the world under his rule, and exterminating/enslaving all non-humans. However, as the story progresses, we start to get hints that the Emperor is not the true enemy. Perhaps he’s fallen under the thrall of another of the Elder Dragons (there’s nothing saying there can’t be more ED’s in Cantha, after all).

For a double twist, perhaps it turns out that the Emperor WAS actually in control all along. Somehow (perhaps with the power of the Harvest Ceremony ritual where he receives the blessings from the Six Gods and the Celestial Animals), he managed to enslave an Elder Dragon itself, and is using its power to fuel his new attempted conquest of the world. When the players defeat the Emperor, the Elder Dragon is freed and it immediately goes on a rampage which the players must then stop.

in Lore

Guild Warrior.9540

Back to the subject of Cantha. Even if Cantha hasnt advanced more than then charr they could still be at their level and posses similar steampunk like technology.After all didnt the Dwarven tunnels reach all the way around the planet of Tyria?Theres no reason why Cantha wouldnt have tech based on the Dwarfs like the Charr.

Also a massive air battle with air ships perhaps against an elder dragon would be something id like to see.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Dredge tunnel. Not dwarven. And said dredge – if they survived Usoku’s purge (if we go there, they will have, I guarantee it for the sake of having something other than all-humans in Cantha – naga and possibly wardens too). Though there are Deldrimor artifacts said to be in the southern Jade Sea for unknown reasons.

Also a massive air battle with air ships perhaps against an elder dragon would be something id like to see.

You should play Arah story mode and take on Zhaitan then. Because that’s exactly what happens.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Guild Warrior.9540

Im only level 67 .I still got a bit to go before I reach zhaitan.

Its funny the thing with Usoku’s purge is that it reminded me a bit like the Japanese isolationist period and to a lesser extent the Imperium in WH40K.

Speaking of which if we return to Cantha im certain one of the plots will be a non human resistance along with a few possible human supporters.

in Lore

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Keep in mind that in this exact same heart, your character tricks a skritt into thinking that he can read minds, then says “Hah, telepathy isn’t real. You fail.

Whereas we know that telepathy is real – Jennah speaks mind-to-mind with Logan on more than one occasion in the books. So while the Asura may understand some things, they also have a tendency to assume they know everything and forget that they can be wrong.

That isn’t telepathy. Telepathy is the transmission without use of any kind of channel. Magic is a channel. She is using Mesmer magic to speak inside his head/transmit thought or whatever it is precisely that she is doing. But since she is using magic to do so rather than having the ability to simply do it unassisted. It is not telepathy.