Complete globe of tyria.

Complete globe of tyria.

in Lore

Posted by: RenoMiranda.2685

RenoMiranda.2685

Just wondering, does the legendary scepter with the globe contain tyria’s continents?

Crave[CCC]

Complete globe of tyria.

in Lore

RenoMiranda.2685

Ive never seen a complete globe of tyria

Crave[CCC]

Complete globe of tyria.

in Lore

Posted by: WarriorOfAsgard.3705

WarriorOfAsgard.3705

I’ve only seen one screen shot of the scepter and it’s hard to be certain. This is a flattened texture of the globe pulled from the .dat file.

Attachments:

Complete globe of tyria.

in Lore

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

There is apparently one in the Chantry of Secrets… although exactly how accurate it is might be disputed.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Complete globe of tyria.

in Lore

Posted by: Son of Elias.5420

Son of Elias.5420

There was an attempt to show where the current game maps are on the map that WarriorOfAsgard posted right here. Obviously, it’s just presumption on our part, but if it’s true, it leaves plenty of other places to go as the game continues and hopefully grows.

“A man who trusts everyone is a fool.
And a man who trusts no one is a fool.
We are all fools, if we live long enough.”

Complete globe of tyria.

in Lore

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I’ve seen a nice observation that the scepeter map lines up perfectly after you turn it about 40 degrees clockwise. North is not up in the raw bitmap.

Hmm. Time to get out photoshop.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Complete globe of tyria.

in Lore

RenoMiranda.2685

I’ve only seen one screen shot of the scepter and it’s hard to be certain. This is a flattened texture of the globe pulled from the .dat file.

I have heard in different forums that that is not a complete map of Tyria because it was “too small” for a world. In one forum it actually said that if Tyria was a planet, it would not even be as big as our moon.

Crave[CCC]

Complete globe of tyria.

in Lore

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

hmmmm, there are some globes showing the world, and if I look at the parts we know of, they are tiny compared with the rest. then again you might be right, but there are other games calling the playable area the world but wich are actually a lot smaller. in the end this is a fantasy world. no need to make it bigger then needed.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Complete globe of tyria.

in Lore

Posted by: Neilos Tyrhanos.5427

Neilos Tyrhanos.5427

Is it just me, or does this seem to match up? The landmass central towards the bottom is Cantha, and that tiny group of islands to the North-West of Cantha is the Battle Isles. Just about central to the entire map is Istan, which means Tyria-Elona is the South-Westernmost chunk of the largest continent.

Maybe I’m just seeing what I want to see.

Complete globe of tyria.

in Lore

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

hmmmm, there are some globes showing the world, and if I look at the parts we know of, they are tiny compared with the rest. then again you might be right, but there are other games calling the playable area the world but wich are actually a lot smaller. in the end this is a fantasy world. no need to make it bigger then needed.

It doesn’t just happen in video games either. For one example the name Mediterranean Sea means ‘sea in the middle of the world’ (Medi = middle, Terra = world/Earth). To the people who gave it that name it was perfectly true, their world was most of Europe, the Middle East, the northern edge of Africa and a vauge awareness that there were places beyond that. When those other places were depicted at all they were always assumed to be relatively small (for example there are medieval European maps which show the entire of Asia as an area slightly smaller than France).

Any map we see in-game, particularly an actual map object as opposed to one that’s part of the UI, is going to fit with the lore, which means it’s going to fit with the perception of the people who made it, and even if they know about areas beyond what we’ve seen they might well depict them inaccurately or make the classic human error of assuming what they know is everything there is to find. If they know the world is a globe (which they seem to) they might well assume the area they have discovered so far is the total of that globe and made maps depicting it as such. It’s only later on when they (they probably being asura) do the math that they’ll realise it’s impossible and the world has to be bigger than they thought.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Complete globe of tyria.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Is it just me, or does this seem to match up? The landmass central towards the bottom is Cantha, and that tiny group of islands to the North-West of Cantha is the Battle Isles. Just about central to the entire map is Istan, which means Tyria-Elona is the South-Westernmost chunk of the largest continent.

Maybe I’m just seeing what I want to see.

No, you’re correct.

Though there are multiple minor discrepencies, but those are where the continents are on that map.

As to the OP: I haven’t seen the legendary with the globe so I don’t know.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Complete globe of tyria.

in Lore

Posted by: Neilos Tyrhanos.5427

Neilos Tyrhanos.5427

Hrmmm— take a look at that map again. If what I said was correct, that would place a rather large body of water in Elona. You can see the wide river that cuts through the Crystal Desert (i’d guess that stems from Palawa Joko redirecting the Elon River up there), but just below that seems to be another body of water.

Anybody know why this might be…?

Complete globe of tyria.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

No, given that this map should be “modern” – however it is still lacking some details (Frostgorge Sound is missing, as is the Isles of Janthir and Janthir Bay, and there’s more water marked at where Gendarran Fields is than should be, Shing Jea Isle is connected to Cantha now, Battle Isles should be sunken, etc.). My guess is that would be the flooded Desolation, at the center of the River Elon (it originates from north of Vabbi and flowed south, but now it makes a bad V shape more or less) after Joko kitten it.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Complete globe of tyria.

in Lore

Posted by: Bard.7215

Bard.7215

I have heard in different forums that that is not a complete map of Tyria because it was “too small” for a world. In one forum it actually said that if Tyria was a planet, it would not even be as big as our moon.

Even in games that presents an area in a realistic setting, most open world games do not take the actual in game territory range as being canon. I don’t even think the TES:Series does this. Limits of technology(and game development time/human psyche) do not allow massive realistically sized territories, nor would it be practical to do so. So when making a game with an inter cat story, it’s generally best to act like you’re crafting a segment of a massive territory that would fully express what this territory is about, without having to comprehend and produce a massive to the point environment. I’m pretty sure the almost cubic mountain ranges that box in most of the territories aren’t supposed to be taken literally either.

Sort of like building a sandcastle

Complete globe of tyria.

in Lore

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Even in games that presents an area in a realistic setting, most open world games do not take the actual in game territory range as being canon. I don’t even think the TES:Series does this. Limits of technology(and game development time/human psyche) do not allow massive realistically sized territories, nor would it be practical to do so.

Mostly that’s correct yes, with the exception of Daggerfall which was life-sized (and I believe 99.99% computer-generated because of that – also mostly not very interesting, which was the price for that in the mid-90s). The likes of Skyrim and Oblivion are pretty decent-sized, but may not have all that much more playable area than Guild Wars 2 – I think it’s on a similar order of magnitude, maybe actually smaller.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )