Could the Colossus be Abaddon?

in Lore

Posted by: Jeromai.8203

Jeromai.8203

So, I recently stumbled into the Aquatic fractal and was suddenly taken aback by the similarity of the grey cliffs and green foliage with both the Cliffside fractal and Labyrinthine Cliffs.

Acting on the assumption that these three things took place roughly in the same region, but were separated by a great deal of time, I ended up scouring through both the GW1 and GW2 wiki’s for lore that took me from krait and The Unending Ocean to a seafaring people that became the Margonites who worshipped Abaddon.

The Cliffside fractal is supposedly inspired by the myth of Prometheus, a god who gave fire to humankind and was chained to a cliff as punishment.

In Tyrian legend, it is said that Abaddon gave magic to humans, which prompted many wars and eventually caused the Five Gods to seal him away in the Realm of Torment.

Too coincidental a parallel?

http://whyigame.wordpress.com/2013/08/24/gw2-the-cliffs-and-the-colossus/

in Lore

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

interesting question, although last time i saw abbadon it was very different from the colossus, it was not even antropomorphe

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I don’t really see it as the case. It’s possible, but the Cliffside fractal is representing the earliest history of humanity on Tyria. They wouldn’t have been chaining Abaddon up – or any other god. This would also mean that the fractal takes place in Cantha or south of, so Labyrinthine Cliffs wouldn’t be where the fractal takes place nearby – the ruins also have designs similar to the upclose patterns seen on the Dominion of Winds’ wall.

The colossus is most likely an ancient native inhabitant of the world, IMO.

And on the Aquatic Fractal, we’ve learned room he was in was well furbrished, lit up by a single fire behind that it is possibly prehistoric as well as possibly a mixture of two different times/places – Elona and Ascalon. Exact wording:

GuildMag (Draxynnic): Fair enough… okay, let’s move onto some questions we had regarding Fractals. Okay so, in a previous interview with TowerTalk there was a tease of a mention of about just when the Cliffside Fractal takes place, but we still don’t know much about the Underwater and Volcanic Fractals. In the former we see some sunken statues which look a bit Elonian but the surrounding ruins feel Ascalonian. Can you shed some light on when and where that takes place?

ArenaNet (Scott McGough) : Uh, not very much I’m afraid. I feel like I’m letting you down here. But yeah, the existing fractals are all scattered far and wide throughout Tyria’s history and pre-history. Some of these things are from the time of myth and legend and so we can’t exactly verify exactly how they happened or how they connect to the modern world. That one, uh… yeah, I’m afraid that’s just going to have to be my answer for now.

ArenaNet (Jeff Grubb) : One of the things with Fractals is because they’re in the Mists, they are echoes. They are not true history, they are basically the resonant history.

ArenaNet (Scott McGough) : Exactly, yes.

ArenaNet (Jeff Grubb) : So therefore you’re seeing a lot of combined feelings coming in sometimes. Maybe there is a place that had that Ascalonian Elonian crossover area. But just as easily, it may be the effect of the Mists.

ArenaNet (Scott McGough) : And, check me on this guys, the Mists as we define them – the Mists by definition: anything that can be there, or has been, can show up in the Mists. So we get some strange pairings sometimes. Sometimes, for examples, in the Urban fractal, it’s a recreation of the battle for Ascalon, but it’s not – it’s a recreation, not the actual – there’s no time travel involved, you’re not taking part in the actual battle.

ArenaNet (Ree Soesbee) : If it was just the actual battle, if it was just a very precise rendition of history, you couldn’t go fight there, you couldn’t do things there. The Mists very much are flexible because they’re like memories – you can go back in your own minds and sort of write someone into a memory where they weren’t there and what would have happened ‘if this person went to the movies with us.’ And the fractals are very simpler, the Mists are very simpler.

ArenaNet (Jeff Grubb) : It also makes it easier for the players who are of other races. No one’s saying ‘hey what’s an asura doing here’ or ‘what is this strange leafy creature.’ It opens the entire pasts for all of our races. Which is a cool thing and we basically use that as a sounding board and a starting place like our PvP Raid on the Capricorn, that’s a piece of history, there weren’t any norn there.

So that isn’t likely to take place near either location before either.

Plus in the past, Labyrinthing Cliffs would be covered in snow.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

The Cliffside fractal is supposedly inspired by the myth of Prometheus, a god who gave fire to humankind and was chained to a cliff as punishment.

It kind of reminded me of the titans from Greek mythology actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_%28mythology%29

-and of the Colossus of Rhodes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_of_Rhodes

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Fun fact: Prometheus was one of the titans from Greek mythology. 8D

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Yep, that’s right. The weird thing is, I instantly thought of Atlas instead when I saw the colossus. The way he’s chained to the stone structure.

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

Yep, that’s right. The weird thing is, I instantly thought of Atlas instead when I saw the colossus. The way he’s chained to the stone structure.

but atlas is the one holding the world on his back. prometheus is the one chained to a wall.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

but atlas is the one holding the world on his back. prometheus is the one chained to a wall.

That is correct. How ever, for some reason I thought of Atlas, being forced to carry the world.

This brings up an interesting question, what is the deal with the colossus anyway? We have various cultists keeping him imprisoned by enchanting seals, and he’s clearly very thankful for being freed. But on the other hand there is scaffolding everywhere, clearly built around him. Almost like the place was under construction, or as if the colossus was constructed there (although this seems unlikely to me).

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Perhaps the chains themselves were only temporary, and the real plan was to entomb him. The scaffolding was in order to start construction…

And should the PC’s not have intervened the colossus would have been entombed up until, perhaps, the present time! I think we need to go to the Canthan continent and search for a colossus tomb!

in Lore

Posted by: Neilos Tyrhanos.5427

Neilos Tyrhanos.5427

That is correct. How ever, for some reason I thought of Atlas, being forced to carry the world.

(Just a minor correction: Atlas did not carry the world, but rather the sky. The popular image, with a globe, is a misconception).

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

(Just a minor correction: Atlas did not carry the world, but rather the sky. The popular image, with a globe, is a misconception).

Yes, you are correct. It’s confusing how he’s always pictured as carrying a globe in paintings and on statues. But indeed he carries the sky, not the world.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Well, Malafide… how you would depict a giant of a man holding up air, exactly? Best thing I can think of, would be an object of blue and white to represent sky and clouds.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Well, Malafide… how you would depict a giant of a man holding up air, exactly? Best thing I can think of, would be an object of blue and white to represent sky and clouds.

Oh no disrespect to the artists, it is almost impossible to illustrate such an absurd concept. Especially since a lot of the depictions were made during a time when knowledge of the sky was extremely limited. How do you illustrate something you don’t understand?

I guess they could have portrayed him standing on top of a planet, and carrying nothing.

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Or portrayed the sky as a weight coming downwards. Seeing how holding up the sky is really an unnecessary job from our understanding but maybe not from theirs.

in Lore

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

the colossus is dr. manhattan
no discussion about that

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

(edited by Orangensaft.7139)

in Lore

Posted by: Kovac.4372

Kovac.4372

Well seeing the Colossus, and knowing there is a whole season of the year, winter, called season of the Colossus … and then seeing all those huge (one might say colossal) stone heads scattered all around Tyria (there are several for example in Caledon at the location where the meta boss spawns, watching at the area from above) – I conclude the fate of the Colossi is drum roll set in stone?

EDIT: added a picture

Attachments:

(edited by Kovac.4372)

in Lore

Posted by: Avariz.8241

Avariz.8241

For the ancient Greeks, they have the concept of the blue firmament in place of our understanding and description of what we called the blue sky. The blue firmament is a hard solid blue crystal dome that encompassed the whole world. The Greek world is of cause quite flat according to them. Also according to the ancient Greek tradition, the god, Atlas, is holding up that solid blue crystal dome, the sky (firmament), on his shoulders. Therefore in the ancient Greek tradition, Atlas should actually be holding the glob up from the inside and not from the outside. I suspect the latter arose because of error/misunderstanding on the part of renaissance scholars.

Edit: correction – ancient Greek mathematicians at a later stage have disproved their own ancient Greek religious world view that the world is flat but in fact the world is round. From this we inherited the understanding that the world is a glob.

(edited by Avariz.8241)