Deep Sea Dragon - Does Tyria know?

in Lore

Posted by: Tar.2894

Tar.2894

May contain storyline spoilers!

Do we have any direct source on it? The Movement of the World, which is a text that available in the ingame world (the book belongs to the Durmand Priory), it clearly states

• In the deepest waters of the sea, another dragon breathed, twisting the waters themselves into tentacled horrors that rose from every lake and river of the land.

Also, I think it has been stated that the Deep Sea Dragon rose where the Krait and Quaggan lived, which is the reason why there are more of them on the shores of Tyria.

However, in Edge of Destiny, I recall someone saying something along the lines of

• If Kralkatorrik rises, we will have to deal with 4 dragons.

Also, at the end of the personal story line Rytlock askes which Dragon is next to slay – Kralkatorrik, Jormag or Primordus. He doesn’t mention the fifth dragon either.

I would like to know if Tyria is really aware of the Deep Sea Dragon and they just don’t mention him because he isn’t a direct threat (yet) like the others, or if they simply don’t know about him.

in Lore

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

Quaggan ( and a other race, Krait?) actually Fled from the DSD, thats all I know, but his existence isn’t accepted by most Races

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

in Lore

Posted by: Acaelus Thorne.3862

Acaelus Thorne.3862

No one seem to no what the deep sea dragon is. only that Quaggan and underwater race actually fled

in Lore

wouw.5837

Yeah and he lives in the unending ocean, that’s it

in Lore

Posted by: Zhou.3145

Zhou.3145

I think its noted in the game, just not in it (probable/possible expansion). There is an area that is locked off next to Lion’s Arch. I forgot the name of them, but those bird people may also be a part of it I would infer.

in Lore

Acaelus Thorne.3862

I think its noted in the game, just not in it (probable/possible expansion). There is an area that is locked off next to Lion’s Arch. I forgot the name of them, but those bird people may also be a part of it I would infer.

You not talking about the Tengu are you.

in Lore

Zhou.3145

I am. Am I also in the wrong here about something?

in Lore

Acaelus Thorne.3862

From my understand, the Tengu are deciding which other races shall be their allies and who their foes. that why they lock themselves up in the Dominion of winds. i can blame them for doing so after what happen to them in Cantha.

in Lore

wouw.5837

I looked it up again and the Krait fled of Bubbles and pushed the Quaggan on Tyria aswell

in Lore

Zhou.3145

From my understand, the Tengu are deciding which other races shall be their allies and who their foes. that why they lock themselves up in the Dominion of winds. i can blame them for doing so after what happen to them in Cantha.

This is right, I remember it now when you go up to the fellow at the door. I still think its a possibility that they may be linked to the fourth dragon that will appear somewhere down the line of this game’s story.

in Lore

Posted by: Krunske.7124

Krunske.7124

This is right, I remember it now when you go up to the fellow at the door. I still think its a possibility that they may be linked to the fourth dragon that will appear somewhere down the line of this game’s story.

Who do you mean when you say the fourth dragon? I know by reading a bit lore and conversations about and with the Tengu that they’re having problems with destroyers, which are Primordus’s minions. I would believe that Tengu would have a part of Primordus instead of the Bubbles if that is what you’re indicating. Don’t forget that Tengu might also be the introduction for a expansion to Cantha.

in Lore

Posted by: Shael.4703

Shael.4703

In-game, it appears that no one is aware of the 6th dragon. It is just us players, so it’s out-of-character (OOC).

The tengu will no doubt ally themselves with us. They are after all observing us how we’re dealing with it. And since Zhaitan is a goner as the first Act of GW1, there are no more reasons why the tengu will refuse to help the rest.

My blog/sites: gameshogun & Tomes of Knowledge

in Lore

Posted by: HERO.2057

HERO.2057

Howww dooo youuu dooo?

Electronic Empire [eE]
———
Commander of Blacktide

in Lore

Posted by: Eldryth.6831

Eldryth.6831

The Durmand Priory knows from ancient records that there are SIX dragons. However, there are no signs that they know anything about the Deep Sea Dragon or the sixth mystery dragon besides the fact that they exist.

in Lore

Posted by: Mr Mango.3504

Mr Mango.3504

Sixth dragon? Tell me more.

I’m Mango. Fight on!

in Lore

Posted by: Sajuuk Khar.1509

Sajuuk Khar.1509

There is a 6th ED, the end.

We have no idea where it is, what its power is, what its minions are, we know nothing besides the fact that it existed, it may be dead for all we know.

(edited by Sajuuk Khar.1509)

in Lore

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

There’s a charr in the priory who mentions the 5 races that fought the 6 dragons (mentioned in the tome of rubicon)

she says something like
“Five against six, doesnt seem fair”
What do you mean? – your character
“Mursaat, jotun, dwarves, seer, forgotten, the races that fought against the elder dragons and won as written in the tome of rubicon”

So at the very least, the priory knows that theres a 6th dragon.

in Lore

Posted by: Kael.8960

Kael.8960

OR the priori could be failing at their translations >.> /dont mind me, carry on…

“A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it,
bearing within him the image of a cathedral.”
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

in Lore

Posted by: davelid.1984

davelid.1984

Crucible of Eternity also hints at a 6th ED who’s tied with nature.

in Lore

Posted by: Nihilus.3015

Nihilus.3015

Yes they do know. When celebrating the defeat of the pathetic Zhaitan, there’s a women to the left of Destiny’s Edge. She says, “We’ve finished one fifth of our goal.” So they know of the Deep Sea Dragon. Anet probably doesn’t want to give away the name so they didn’t have Eir name him.

AmateurNet

in Lore

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

I got the impression that inquest actualy knows of 6 dragons along with priory (or atleast suspects) , all orders know of 5 but majority of population only cares about the one that is the biggest threath at the time.

It´s all still on a pretty flimsy grounds though. few lines here and there. Also crucible of eternity like was already mentioned.

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

in Lore

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

I think things can go left and right with the 6th dragon and that the reason is that that part of the lore hasn’t been written yet. Perhaps (all speculation here) cause Arenanet has concrete plans for 4 gw2 expansions, each with an elder dragon to defeat. There might be rough plans for a 5th but they just don’t want to commit themselfs to that (Though also not have commited fully to the others). In other words, with the current lore they are more or less obligated to let us kill atleast 4 more dragons (after Zhaitan) So it might be they cancel the defeat of the 6th dragon by writing lore to say, yeah there was a 6th, but he was killed already during the last awakening. or well, the ancient dwarfs wheren’t good at counting giant dragon heads.

The Tengu built the wall cause of the history they have with other races (specially humans). In Kryta they where outcasts during the events of gw1. In Cantha after a heavy war with the empire there was a few years off peace, but the current emperor has broken that peace by driving the Tengu off the lands of Cantha. So they decided to have no interaction with other races besides for trading and for observing the outside world.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I would like to know if Tyria is really aware of the Deep Sea Dragon and they just don’t mention him because he isn’t a direct threat (yet) like the others, or if they simply don’t know about him.

Most of Tyria doesn’t know of the DSD.

Decimus seems to have information, but it was said in an interview with Jeff Grubb to be a topic of debate.

Lore on quaggan, krait, and largos imply that the DSD is in the Unending Ocean and the cause to their retreat into Tyria (at least the cause to krait and largos – quaggans were (mostly) pushed by krait).

The Inquest also seem to know about the DSD – around the Crucible of Eternity dungeon there’s that six-pointed structure, four of which are directly related to an ED. There’s a “Zone Blue (under construction)” with a pool of water in it too. The sixth point is supposedly for the sixth Elder Dragon we know even less about – only the Durmand Priory knows there are six dragons (and seemingly Inquest too), which they learned from jotun history (now, whether they know there are still at least five dragons – that’s unknown).

There’s no direct lore – at least none that was found yet. But two organizations know of six ED – at least.

Perhaps (all speculation here) cause Arenanet has concrete plans for 4 gw2 expansions, each with an elder dragon to defeat.

I really really hope this isn’t the case. Fighting 1 dragon per expansion would just be dull, in my opinion. Especially if the dragon is either at the beginning or the end. I’d rather have the first expansion deal with 2 or 3 Elder Dragons. And if you ask me, that’s highly possible. In GW2, I have found paths leading towards the Crystal Desert/Elon River, Dominion of Winds/Sea of Sorrows, and Maguuma Wastes – along with this, there’s some implications that folks are wanting to tackle Jormag second. This leads me to believe that there are already plans for heading into those four regions (earlier three and Far Shiverpeaks). Primordus is implied via the drying of the Maguuma Jungle’s northern half (becoming the Maguuma Wastes) to be related to that area, so he may have moved there.

Along with this, I believe that tengu and largos are being built up for future playable races (tengu are following a similar route to charr – having a select few interactable with players while the rest aren’t in order to elaborate on their view bit by bit – and largos similar to sylvari – a new race introduced with glimpses at their society before the full view is shown), and that the bandits/White Mantle and Joko are going to be involved with the Maguuma and Desert respectively as well. There’s also Malyck from the sylvari storyline giving implications of going further west (into the Magus Falls).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Posted by: Kevoros.2946

Kevoros.2946

Most of Tyria doesn’t know of the DSD.

Decimus seems to have information, but it was said in an interview with Jeff Grubb to be a topic of debate.

Lore on quaggan, krait, and largos imply that the DSD is in the Unending Ocean and the cause to their retreat into Tyria (at least the cause to krait and largos – quaggans were (mostly) pushed by krait).

The Inquest also seem to know about the DSD – around the Crucible of Eternity dungeon there’s that six-pointed structure, four of which are directly related to an ED. There’s a “Zone Blue (under construction)” with a pool of water in it too. The sixth point is supposedly for the sixth Elder Dragon we know even less about – only the Durmand Priory knows there are six dragons (and seemingly Inquest too), which they learned from jotun history (now, whether they know there are still at least five dragons – that’s unknown).

There’s no direct lore – at least none that was found yet. But two organizations know of six ED – at least.

Perhaps (all speculation here) cause Arenanet has concrete plans for 4 gw2 expansions, each with an elder dragon to defeat.

I really really hope this isn’t the case. Fighting 1 dragon per expansion would just be dull, in my opinion. Especially if the dragon is either at the beginning or the end. I’d rather have the first expansion deal with 2 or 3 Elder Dragons. And if you ask me, that’s highly possible. In GW2, I have found paths leading towards the Crystal Desert/Elon River, Dominion of Winds/Sea of Sorrows, and Maguuma Wastes – along with this, there’s some implications that folks are wanting to tackle Jormag second. This leads me to believe that there are already plans for heading into those four regions (earlier three and Far Shiverpeaks). Primordus is implied via the drying of the Maguuma Jungle’s northern half (becoming the Maguuma Wastes) to be related to that area, so he may have moved there.

Along with this, I believe that tengu and largos are being built up for future playable races (tengu are following a similar route to charr – having a select few interactable with players while the rest aren’t in order to elaborate on their view bit by bit – and largos similar to sylvari – a new race introduced with glimpses at their society before the full view is shown), and that the bandits/White Mantle and Joko are going to be involved with the Maguuma and Desert respectively as well. There’s also Malyck from the sylvari storyline giving implications of going further west (into the Magus Falls).

I think every expansion they will kill 1 more, maybe another one or release a peek/champ[ion of another, but at the same time work towards their other ideas slowly in the expansions,so after all the dragons the expansion of the new threats etc wont be so rushed.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I highly doubt that the other four/five Elder Dragons will be given a whole expansion. That’d get boring fast for expansion plots. Even with some side elements tossed in.

It’s like going through Eye of the North five times in a row – just a different element and location for the final boss.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Ferum Flamebender.5910

Ferum Flamebender.5910

There is a 6th ED, the end.

We have no idea where it is, what its power is, what its minions are, we know nothing besides the fact that it existed, it may be dead for all we know.

I’m not completely sure, but I thought I saw someone telling about a nature dragon beneath the pale tree.
Also explaining why the Sylvari are imume to Zaithens corruption. before Ventari’s tablet, the pale tree was ‘bad’ (due to thr dragon beneath it) and the Nightmare court were the real sylvari. After ventaris tablet the tree became ‘corrupted’ and making the sylvari we know now ‘corrupted’ too.
Thus making them imume to another source of corruption.

But I’m not sure if this is correct?

Aetra Ironbender, Rated E for Engineer- [WoT] Warlocks of Tyria- Far Shiverpeaks

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

That is a popular theory, but it is a theory that is pretty much despised by most of the long standing lore hounds of Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, including me. It makes very little sense for the Sylvari to be minions, because of the complexity of thought they show compared to any other type of minions.

in Lore

Posted by: Ferum Flamebender.5910

Ferum Flamebender.5910

That is a popular theory, but it is a theory that is pretty much despised by most of the long standing lore hounds of Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, including me. It makes very little sense for the Sylvari to be minions, because of the complexity of thought they show compared to any other type of minions.

Yea I am not so sure about it either. But on the other hand, they all have a really strong connection to the Pale tree, and do everything in service of the Pale tree…

I do not despise the theory, but I don’t have a single clue if it would be true or not..

Aetra Ironbender, Rated E for Engineer- [WoT] Warlocks of Tyria- Far Shiverpeaks

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Well there are a few things that the idea hinges on that don’t really add up to the theory working out.

1) The Dream/Hive Mind – The Dream is not a hive mind. The Dream is merely a limbo that the Sylvari live in while they are waiting to be born. This connects them, but it is only a faint sensation they feel when around others, as opposed to being fully controlled like most other Dragon minions. I would also like to point out here that the Dream is not controlled by the Pale Tree, but that she merely keeps it, like a shepherd keeps sheep.

2) Freed from the Dragon by the Ventari Tablet – Only 1 dragon champion, that we know of, has been freed from the will of her master, and that took a strong spell cast by one of the ancient races, the Forgotten. Nothing found in game seems to state that prolonged exposure to good has any effect on Dragon Champions/Minions at all.

3) Immunity to Corruption – A major henge of this belief is the fact that dragon champions cannot be corrupted by other dragons, so the Sylvari are dragon champions because they cannot be corrupted. This has actually been proven false. In the Crucible of Eternity there is a boss called Subject Alpha, and he is a creature with layers of multiple dragon corruptions found on him. Now it is unknown how he came to be like this, but we have to remember that we have yet to be in an area where dragon minions are in the same vicinity of each other. Because of this we have not seen how they may interact between each other, or if they can be cross-corrupted.