Destroyer Weapons

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

I’m curious: How do destroyer weapons fit into the lore? What are they made of, what is their origin, what special properties would a destroyer weapon have, etc.

I can find a lot of info on the destroyers themselves, but not the weapons.

REASON: I RP on Tarnished Coast, so I’m looking for possible ways to introduce the destroyer weapon set on a character.

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Posted by: Toxyn.9608

Toxyn.9608

Though not official, they could be remnants of the enemies you have slain. Destroyer weapons could have been forged in the burning embers of a Destroyer’s corpse perhaps? Thus they would be imbued with a portion of their power and radiate heat / fire.

“The fatal flaw in every plan is the assumption that you know more than your enemy.”

Antonius Duarte – Elementalist – Kaineng

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Posted by: MunkeeBreath.9165

MunkeeBreath.9165

they are weapons the destroyers in gw1 used. u could get them in gw1 too but it was very hard. there are few of them because all the destroyers that use weapons are being held back by the dwarves in the northern shiverpeaks.

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

they are weapons the destroyers in gw1 used. u could get them in gw1 too but it was very hard. there are few of them because all the destroyers that use weapons are being held back by the dwarves in the northern shiverpeaks.

lore wise I have to slightly disagree with you. The destroyer weapons in gw2 where crafted by a norn called Balthor Coalforge. He needed specifick ingredients and he had no destroyers near him. Also the pure ingredients had nothing to do with destroyers. Though still rare the process wich is unknown to us still exists. So one might asume that Balthor has passed his knowledge onwards to present day crafters. Thats why we can still learn the recipes and make them ourselves.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

If you look at the weapons, there is certainly something Monster Hunter-eqsue over them. They definitely seem to be made up out of various parts of Destroyers.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Hickeroar.9734

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll check back and see if anyone adds anything else. This definitely gives me some stuff to go on though!

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Both Destroyer weapons and Corrupted weapons (aka Icebrood-corrupted weapons) are a bit odd to me. One would think that, like the Sanguinary Blade (which uses a Corrupted Sword… or greatsword model) or the amulets infused with Zhaitan’s magic (such as the one Howl had), they would corrupt the wielder. Same with the Arah dungeon weapons, tbh.

But based on the materials, they’re made from destroyers and icebrood, given how you need Destroyer Lodestones and Corrupted Lodestones respectively.

Though it can be rp’d that they were obtained from fallen destroyers/icebrood (even Sons of Svanir actually), given how they wield those weapons.

Destroyer weapons seem to be weapons created out of rock and lava, while icebrood weapons are standard weapons coated with Jormag’s ice. Both are crafted utilizing pieces of the respective enemy, and both could be RP’d to have been picked up by fallen enemies as well.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Hickeroar.9734

OK thanks. Another question on that topic then: In “lore-speak,” what is a destroyer lodestone? Is there no real definition? Could it be assumed they’re just a piece of a destroyer?

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Posted by: Toxyn.9608

Toxyn.9608

I don’t know of any lore associated with the Lodestones ingame.

However, consider real-world lodestones. They can be magnetized, attracting iron to the surface of the stone. If the ingame Lodestones function in a similar matter, they ar also magnetized. Instead of attracting iron though, they attract magical essence. So if I had to make an educated guess, a Destroyer Lodestone is a lodestone that has attracted stray Destroyer essence.

I could be totally wrong though.

“The fatal flaw in every plan is the assumption that you know more than your enemy.”

Antonius Duarte – Elementalist – Kaineng

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Hickeroar.9734

I don’t know of any lore associated with the Lodestones ingame.

However, consider real-world lodestones. They can be magnetized, attracting iron to the surface of the stone. If the ingame Lodestones function in a similar matter, they ar also magnetized. Instead of attracting iron though, they attract magical essence. So if I had to make an educated guess, a Destroyer Lodestone is a lodestone that has attracted stray Destroyer essence.

I could be totally wrong though.

Even if it’s not accurate….I like it.

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Lodestones in GW1 were, I believe, pieces of elementals – in other words, magical stones. So the lodestones in GW2 are likely of the same degree, considering how they come from elemental beings (be they natural elemental beings, or corrupted dragon minions tied to elements).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

The Corrupted weapons are easy to figure out.

1. Take an existing weapon.

2. Cover it in Jormag’s “goo”

3. ???

4. PROFIT!!

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Back in GW1, Destroyers were often shown wielding Destroyer weapons (which look almost identical to their GW2 models). Balthus Coalforge and game economics aside, I see no reason lore-wise why a player could not simply pick up one of these weapons and start wielding it. Given that Destroyers “cool” after their deaths (a phenomenon not usually seen in GW2 Destroyers), perhaps what Balthus did was specially enchant the Destroyer Weapons so they retain their heat and power even after their original wielder’s death.

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Hickeroar.9734

Thanks again. All of this is very helpful.

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Posted by: Grezko.7950

Grezko.7950

Back in GW1, Destroyers were often shown wielding Destroyer weapons (which look almost identical to their GW2 models). Balthus Coalforge and game economics aside, I see no reason lore-wise why a player could not simply pick up one of these weapons and start wielding it. Given that Destroyers “cool” after their deaths (a phenomenon not usually seen in GW2 Destroyers), perhaps what Balthus did was specially enchant the Destroyer Weapons so they retain their heat and power even after their original wielder’s death.

One can argue that if you pick up a weapon that a destroyer used, the wielder will become exposed to dragon corruption. Especially considering that destroyers (and their weapons) are created from earth and fire by the sheer will of Primordius. In other words – such weapons need to be either “crafted” using a complicated process (Balthor Coalforge) or de-corrupted somehow. If not the wielder will get exposed to dragon corruption witch we know can only end in bad ways.

Officer of Executed [EXE] from Piken Square.

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

One can argue that if you pick up a weapon that a destroyer used, the wielder will become exposed to dragon corruption. Especially considering that destroyers (and their weapons) are created from earth and fire by the sheer will of Primordius. In other words – such weapons need to be either “crafted” using a complicated process (Balthor Coalforge) or de-corrupted somehow. If not the wielder will get exposed to dragon corruption witch we know can only end in bad ways.

does primordus even corrupt though?

I thought that only jormag and kralkatorrik could corrupt?
(primordus and bubbles just make their minions, zhaitan can only work with dead bodies (he’s not been shown to corrupt living beings, they either die THEN get corrupted, or they serve of their own free will (it’s even said as much in the charr story, the amulets make it so you are incredibly defensive of the amulet, then the amulet slowly, imperceptively drain you of life until you are dead, then zhaitan takes control and uses the amulets to summon the horde whilst the wearer acts as a sleeper agent subverting defenses whilst decay hasn’t set in))

however, sylvari can use any items that could potentially corrupt another race, since they aren’t corruptable

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

All Elder Dragons corrupt, it’s just that they hold a different preference on what and how to corrupt.

Jormag corrupts via the mind mainly, but can and will also corrupt the environment physically. Kralkatorrik corrupts the physical (ghosts seem to be outside of his corrupting preference) – be it living beings or the land. Zhaitan corrupts corpses. Primordus corrupts the land and lava. The DSD (seems to) corrupt water alone.

However, as shown in the human and charr lvl 20-30 storyline (moreso human), Zhaitan’s energies can corrupt living beings via artifacts. And as shown via Priory lvl 30-40 storyline, Jormag’s frozen blood is corruptive (however, Kralkatorrik’s blood isn’t, nor is Jormag’s tooth).

But this is all just their preference by all indications. As shown via the Inquest in Crucible of Eternity, Primordus’ draconic energy can be used to corrupt a living being, for example.

So whether the Corrupted or Destroyer weapons would corrupt the wielder is left rather unknown. They could be like the spear made from Kralkatorrik’s spine and be perfectly safe (however, that was in Glint’s custody for who knows how long so the forgotten could have put some magic voodoo to prevent corruption), or they could all be like the Sanguinary Blade which corrupts those cut by it as well as the wielder (kind of seems like a pointless weapon the dwarves made there, unless it was meant to battle non-icebrood dragon minions).

Also, sylvari aren’t 100% immune to corruption – rather than being turned into a dragon minion, they just simply die. A sylvari can’t stand in a wave of Elder Dragon corruption and walk away unharmed.

Dear ANet writers,

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Hickeroar.9734

Considering that players can wield the weapons in-game, and ANet tends to be very careful about lore-breaking stuff, I would assume that holding a destroyer weapon (or other corrupted weapon) would not harm the holder.

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

When it comes to their armor and weapons, “cool looking” tends to overcome “reasonable or sensible.”

Dear ANet writers,

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Hickeroar.9734

I know this is a little unusual, but does this sound like a reasonable conclusion to come to?:

(This is all “in character” stuff, and wouldn’t actually work this way “in-game.”)
Character kills destroyers and collects destroyer lodestones from the remains.
Character finds “person” who can craft said weapons.
Character provides lodestones as well as other ingredients to crafter.
Crafter crafts the weapon.

This seems like it “sort-of” fits with all the GW1 and GW2 lore out there, given that nothing exact is known.

I was also thinking of throwing in some other ingredients, seeing as the ones in GW1 required onyx, granite, and diamond. Maybe Obsidian, since…Obsidian destroyer troll (and there would be obsidian EVERYWHERE around an active lava flow). That’s a little bit of a stretch, but I like it….

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Hickeroar.9734

When it comes to their armor and weapons, “cool looking” tends to overcome “reasonable or sensible.”

True… I’m gonna “attempt” to give ANet the benefit of the doubt on this one. Though you’re probably right.

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Posted by: Grezko.7950

Grezko.7950

The point is not if the destroyer weapons are plausible lore -wise or not. The question is how are the plausible. The explanation about them being crafted via a mystical process instead of just being picked up from dead destroyers is much more plausible for me.

Officer of Executed [EXE] from Piken Square.

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Posted by: lefty twotoe.2851

lefty twotoe.2851

As far as destroyer weapons are concerned, especially with gw1, the weapons were actually parts of destroyers if you noticed. I.E. the shields were a piece of their carapace, they scythe was an insectoid destroyer leg. the lodestones I imagine are just like the destroyer cores from gw1, the actual hearts of the destroyers themselves

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Not really – if you pay attention, as was said before, in GW1 with the exception of the destroyer sword all destroyer weapons were wielded by the destroyers – as individual weapons. Same goes for GW2 (including the sword this time).

Dear ANet writers,

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Posted by: Aylaine.1036

Aylaine.1036

To chime in from a RP Standpoint, I thought of it this way: My Avenger was corrupted already, so I have no risk of getting corrupted. I also really like the RL Lodestone idea as well. ‘’They attached to my sword, and before I knew it…". Combine a few different reasoning’s, and you can make it work in my opinion.

Destroyer Weapons

in Lore

Posted by: Jenosavel.1756

Jenosavel.1756

I like to imagine that the difficult part of crafting these weapons in a lore sense would be balancing the dangerous corruptive output of the dragon energies so that you can still weaponize it without it being harmful to the wielder as well.

I think there’s a lot of potential for fun story telling in that direction.

Leaves and Embers - a fan written GW2 novel (complete!)
Servants of Fortuna [SoF] - We serve fortuna; may she grant us a smile.