Dhuum, Mad King and Underworld

in Lore

Posted by: knbBlackTemplar.3059

knbBlackTemplar.3059

Sooo, quote from gw wiki

There, Dhuum bided his time, gaining power every time a creature dies in the Underworld. Sometime before the Flameseeker Prophecies could be realized, the upheaval in Tyria allowed the army of Dhuum to launch an assault on the Underworld

However, since then he has managed to repeatedly break free.

And once in year WE invade Mad Realm of Underworld, shouldn’t it means we make Dhuum stronger by killing Thorn minions and lunatics?

80’s: Sylvari Necromancer (Main). Human: Thief, Warrior (PvP Main), Engineer. Charr Guardian

in Lore

Posted by: Getefix.9150

Getefix.9150

i think it means the creatures he controls, eg skeletons/aataxes/shadow army

plus i think the mad realm kinda belongs to mkt so is separate(ish) from the rest of the underworld

“Nothing is true, Everything is permitted”

Kiel Replacement Movement

in Lore

knbBlackTemplar.3059

i think it means the creatures he controls, eg skeletons/aataxes/shadow army

plus i think the mad realm kinda belongs to mkt so is separate(ish) from the rest of the underworld

“The Mad Realm is contained within the Underworld, and the Realm of Torment connects there via the Bone Pits.”

80’s: Sylvari Necromancer (Main). Human: Thief, Warrior (PvP Main), Engineer. Charr Guardian

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

It really depends on how far Dhuum’s gaining power from the deaths within the Underworld goes. I doubt that all deaths empower him, given he’s a fallen god, so it’d likely just be a case that all deaths within a certain proximity empowers him.

@Getefix: It certainly isn’t that only Dhuum’s minions’ deaths empower Dhuum, but any deaths there (which merely includes Dhuum’s minions). Plus, Aatxes are not minions of Dhuum (they’re natural Underworld inhabitants which are hostile to all – some of which though got tamed by Dhuum’s minions), and the Shadow Army belongs to Menzies (and is never in the Underworld).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

I do believe that Frozenwind says that all deaths in the Underworld empower Dhuum, but this doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s true. It could be that it is what Konig said, and all nearby deaths empower him (and that we’re just limited to a portion of the Underworld that is within that proximity) or that Frozenwind was just being safe by saying all deaths instead of trying to set up parameters.

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

It may just be that our killing is pretty insignificant to all the deaths that tend to happen I the underworld due to the UW ecosystem. And there may also be UW powers that work to keep Dhuum down.

in Lore

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

What I do find interesting, is that Dhuum’s minions in GW1 were all the very same kind of skeletons we now see in the Mad King’s Realm. Is there a connection there? Or is that merely the Mad King’s love for spooky skeletons and mummies?

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Lore

knbBlackTemplar.3059

What I do find interesting, is that Dhuum’s minions in GW1 were all the very same kind of skeletons we now see in the Mad King’s Realm. Is there a connection there? Or is that merely the Mad King’s love for spooky skeletons and mummies?

Doesn’t matter how they look, they supply Life force to live.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I actually made a joke theory about that and the future plots of Halloween….

When Dhuum continuously rose in the Underworld after the PC fell, Thorn took it upon himself to fight the evil god – for a time. And in doing so he stole Dhuum’s skeletal minions, making them follow him as a personal joking spite to Joko (“Look! I can be a snot-nosed undead lich too!”).

But now Edrick has stolen the undead in Ozzy’s army… undead that belonged to Dhuum. Soon, Dhuum will come after the “Painlord” and either a deal shall be struck, or the Bloody Prince will be dhuumed.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

There is a parallel though between Thorn wanting to escape the Underworld, and Dhuum wanting to break free from his prison in the Underworld. Wouldn’t Mad King Thorn and Dhuum both be working against Grenth in their own way?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Technically speaking, Ozzie Thorn himself has never expressed desire to break free. He did express the desire for revenge – the subjects of whom have all long passed away – and did attempt breaking free when it became possible (last Halloween) – but oddly didn’t try again this year.

It has always been his loyal subjects, the Lunatic Court, trying to allow Ozzie Thorn to return full-time.

Honestly, I think I’d enjoy that. Far superior of a plot than The-Salad-Whom-Shall-Not-Be-Named.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

knbBlackTemplar.3059

There is a parallel though between Thorn wanting to escape the Underworld, and Dhuum wanting to break free from his prison in the Underworld. Wouldn’t Mad King Thorn and Dhuum both be working against Grenth in their own way?

What if Dhuum already consumed Mad King, but can’t handle this sick mind?

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

The mad king always seemed to be at least on cordial terms with the Reapers and King Frozenwind in GW1, although I assume this is because he would much prefer being able to return one night a year than never returning again if Dhuum rises.

in Lore

knbBlackTemplar.3059

The mad king always seemed to be at least on cordial terms with the Reapers and King Frozenwind in GW1, although I assume this is because he would much prefer being able to return one night a year than never returning again if Dhuum rises.

Then he isn’t Mad enough.

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Then he isn’t Mad enough.

Or maybe just not stupid.

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Yeah, mad and stupid aren’t the same thing.

in Lore

knbBlackTemplar.3059

Yeah, mad and stupid aren’t the same thing.

Well, not. Joker is completely insane, but most dangerous villian.