Doctor Who?

Doctor Who?

in Lore

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

Male or female? Norn? Asura? Charr?
Where (s)he come from?
Who is (s)he? What’s his/her name?

It’s what happen when you want everyone to be “The Chosen One”.
You make a black hole in the lore and say “this, it’s you” to everyone.
But what if two or more people try to roleplay together?
Millions of people for the same role! Schizophrenic.

There’s three way to design content : in, around, out.

Making everyone “The Chosen One” is the IN method. It let the lore with eternal holes.
The OUT method is acting like people are just witness of what happen.

And there’s the AROUND method. Why Arena.net don’t use the AROUND method?
What’s the AROUND method? It’s when the player is not “The Chosen One” nor a simple observer.

Example. Do you remember Omadd’s machine? They choose the IN method and the player is “The One Who Had The Vision”. If they have done it with the AROUND method, the player and two NPC have had the vision (like Taimi, who was already in the machine, and Braham who tried to pull her out too). The player is involved in the events, but he’s an optional character and roleplayers/futur lore content can skip the player presence if needed.

Doctor Who?

in Lore

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

Didn’t Taimi see a vision also?

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Doctor Who?

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Examples of these black holes in lore perhaps?

Doctor Who?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Didn’t Taimi see a vision also?

No, you pull her out before such could happen.

Examples of these black holes in lore perhaps?

It’s not an issue – currently – as the OP makes it out to be, but because of these things, there’s almost no reference to the potential PC individuals for early PS storylines you don’t do, and similarly you get zero references to our GW1 PC.

In the future, this will become a bigger issue, with the need to draw back to whomever it was that did all this awesome stuff, or they can just avoid a need to draw back to it like they’ve done with GW1.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Doctor Who?

in Lore

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

Dang, when I clicked on this thread I thought Anet was gonna provide us with hats and scarves ala Tom Baker’s Fourth Doctor.

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Doctor Who?

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

I suspect they will do in GW2 what they did in GW1. “Group of adventurers”. So I doubt it will be any big issue.

Doctor Who?

in Lore

Posted by: Alkonium.9164

Alkonium.9164

I’m really not seeing the Doctor Who connection, unless they slip the TARDIS into a map or something.

Doctor Who?

in Lore

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

The Risen could try evolving into Daleks…compare “This one, kill!” with “EX-TER-MIN-ATE!!!”

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Doctor Who?

in Lore

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

I’m really not seeing the Doctor Who connection, unless they slip the TARDIS into a map or something.

I heard the original creators of Doctor Who were smoking something funny.

I think that’s the connection with the original post.

Doctor Who?

in Lore

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

For the title : the Doctor have many faces and few people know what he look like. Even his friends can’t recognize him sometimes because of his body changes.

A “group of adventurers” don’t work well. Imagine you’re in GW3. What history will be teached? That an “adventurer” was second to command of the Pact, of an unknown specie, with an unknown gender, member of one of the Order but we don’t know which one, with an unknown name, but he help defeat Elders Dragons, had a vision of how Tyria and the Elders Dragons are linked and organize a G5 with the major races.

In real life we know people from ancient history. The Durmand Priory have archives of everything but never mentionned this character? Nonsensical.

Doctor Who?

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

The history will most likely focus on the first in command of the Pact, Priory, order of whispers and the Vigil. The third, fourth and fifth in command of the Pact probably helped defeat elder dragons as well. Who are they?

Doctor Who?

in Lore

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

No one reads my posts of how I handle it. Just look at all my posts here. Thanks and have a nice day!

Seriously no one stopped and think of a “we all did it” angle?

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Doctor Who?

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I think the problem being addressed is that we can’t ALL be the second in command of the Pact.

That said, what I expect will happen is that according to the histories there were five to fifteen Pact commanders that between them accomplished everything that happened in the Personal Story. The Living Story is actually the more complicated of the two to reconcile – the way I would probably play it in ArenaNet’s position is to have the five to fifteen PCs form a guild that went around Tyria putting out proverbial fires after Zhaitan’s death, with the ‘biconics’ being absorbed into that guild.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Doctor Who?

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

For the title : the Doctor have many faces and few people know what he look like. Even his friends can’t recognize him sometimes because of his body changes.

A “group of adventurers” don’t work well. Imagine you’re in GW3. What history will be teached? That an “adventurer” was second to command of the Pact, of an unknown specie, with an unknown gender, member of one of the Order but we don’t know which one, with an unknown name, but he help defeat Elders Dragons, had a vision of how Tyria and the Elders Dragons are linked and organize a G5 with the major races.

In real life we know people from ancient history. The Durmand Priory have archives of everything but never mentionned this character? Nonsensical.

I’m reminded of Dragon Age. They kinda had the same problem at least in the first game and it’s kinda expansion, the second game the PC could only be a human named Hawk (so they basically did a Mass Effect). I think they just went with referring to the PC by his or her title (Warden-Commander, Hero of Ferelden etc.).