Dragon's Watch & the Six Gods

in Lore

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

In light of the events of HoT, I thought I would update this. Take it as a purely narrative theory or something with possible in-world significance, but it seems as though you’re assembling a band of heroes who relate to the gods, sort of.

Rytlock: The latest addition, and the reason I wanted to bring the theory back out of storage. Come on, look at the blindfold! He’s obviously Kormir. Although he’s arguably sort of Abaddon as well. i) Because he’s totes secretive and has new magical gifts, and ii) because it gender maps better. All the other proposals below match their respective god’s gender, which is another point in the “deliberate intent” column.

Canach: Mean, green, Anise’s agent of justice, himself bound on account of his crimes (with “justice” occasionally meaning “immediate execution”, as we see with Caudecus). Like Grenth, the judge of the dead. Or soon to be dead, anyway.

Rox: A Ranger, and thus in touch with nature, and literally named “Rocks”. Melandru, goddess of nature and earth.

Braham: Balthazar. I don’t really think this requires a lot of explanation.

Kasjory: The retconned Lyssa is a goddess of Illusion and Water. Kasmeer is a Mesmer. Marjory’s last name is “del aqua”. And they’re, uh, closely connected.

Taimi: Dwayna. Partly by process of elimination, partly because she’s Asura and they like floating cities, and party because her crippled body sort of maps to the fact (in GW1 anyway) that Dwayna’s statues were broken and held aloft by magic. I’m hoping Scruffy 2.0 has some flight or hover capabilities.

Anyhow, it’s just an observation. Do you think there’s deliberate authorial intent, or is just a coincidence? Maybe our friends are destined to replace the Six as a multi-racial pantheon?

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

in Lore

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I think you’re reaching a bit.

Braham: He is as much to Balthazar as Athena is to Ares. For those not as attuned in Greek mythology, Athena and Ares are both gods of war, but Ares is bloodthirsty war while Athena is strategic war. Braham doesn’t fight just for the sheer fun of it, but as a guardian does it to protect others.

Canach: Just because he’s angry and green, you tie him to Grenth? Way to typecast. RACIST!

And Taimi compared just for convenience? If nothing else, that shows how much this is a reach.

in Lore

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

Braham: He is as much to Balthazar as Athena is to Ares. For those not as attuned in Greek mythology, Athena and Ares are both gods of war, but Ares is bloodthirsty war while Athena is strategic war. Braham doesn’t fight just for the sheer fun of it, but as a guardian does it to protect others.

While Balthazar has been accused of being bloodthirsty, that’s normally a non-human characterization of human religion. To humans, he’s more of the Athena. Menzies is more the Mars/Ares god of slaughter and destruction. I wouldn’t exactly call the Zaishen order brainless slaughter-fiends.

Canach: Just because he’s angry and green, you tie him to Grenth? Way to typecast. RACIST!

Also, because Grenth is associated with justice and vengeance, as is Canach from his arc as idealistic terrorist to dispenser of justice against crown traitors. You couldn’t have clearly made the connection last season or even during HoT (since he had more pressing issues to deal with), but it’s getting stronger now.

And Taimi compared just for convenience? If nothing else, that shows how much this is a reach.

Actually, one of the things that first got me thinking about the similarities between the gods and the B team (aside from the Kasjory/Lyssa similarities) was Taimi and the statues of Dwayna. I mean, crippled legs seems like an unusual trait for an adventurer; projectile-related injuries to leg joints have prematurely ended any number of adventuring careers, to hear tell.

Once you see Scruffy 2.0 and she’s equipped it with floaty abilities based on studying the Exalted and Jade Constructs (which she has made some comment about in LS3, suggesting she’s given the subject some thought), the Taimi-Dwayna connection will be clearer. Okay, it’s just speculation, but I’m hoping it turns out to be true.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Very very reachy. The argument could easily be made that there can’t be any strict relations considering how varied the gods personalities and specialties are. Any group of individuals are going to slightly relate to each god because of the general archetypes involved.